Whole Milk
journal addict

Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 AM

Khan Academy Chat, Progress, and Experiences
Quote:
Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content.
From Khan Academy's about page.

While I take a little break from my Khan Academy learning I thought I would jaunt into the Menewsha education boards to see if anyone else uses this wonderful learning resource. Being surprised at the lack of Khan Academy thread, I figured I would make one.

This thread is for:
  • Questions about Khan Academy content and the site itself
  • Encouraging other's Khan Academy goals
  • Pros and cons of Khan Academy
  • Rants and raves about Khan Academy
If it's related to Khan Academy it's welcome here.

Some spoon questions:
  • Where did you hear about Khan Academy?
  • If this is your first time hearing about it, what are your first impressions?
  • Why are you using Khan Academy?
  • What are you hoping to get out of your Khan Academy education?
  • Is Khan Academy a non-profit you would financially support? Why or why not?
  • What is your favorite thing about Khan Academy?
  • What is your least favorite thing about Khan Academy?
  • Do you use any other free virtual learning tools? How do they compare to Khan Academy?

Last edited by Whole Milk; 12-31-2014 at 12:44 AM..

Whole Milk
journal addict

Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 AM

I suppose I'll start this off.

My goal is to have 90+% in my pre-calculus 12 course that I'm taking through the local night school. Khan Academy is helping me refresh a lot of my learning, practice skills, and feel more confident.

Night school learning is hard. My class is two nights a week, three hours each class. And you either pay attention to the teacher or write down the notes. I swear my teacher should be an auction house person. The units I've done the best on are ones I vaguely remember from pre-calculus 11 - something I took two years prior. I need a lot of refreshing.

In order to gain confidence I have literally started doing math from the beginning. I've gained the status of "mastered" in most of the elementary math and have started working on grade nine math content. I'm working my way up to geometry and logarithms during the break. I still have some middle school/late elementary math to do but I figure I'm a bit short on time so I jumped ahead a bit.

I'm 11% through algebra basics.

After I'm done my course (the final is at the end of January) I think I'll continue with Khan Academy, "mastering" all of the math content and exploring other areas. Especially the programming section they've been pushing lately. I've applied to a programming program at a local tech school so hopefully it'll be a somewhat useful introduction. It can't hurt at least.

One of my favorite things on Khan Academy is the badges. When you're flying through the elementary years it's so gratifying to go yes, I can count to ten, look I even have the badge for it, and have you seen how many skills I've mastered! It's so silly but still so motivational.

I just got the Sally Ride badge (achieve mastery in 150 unique skills). It's surprising how many skills go into doing what I always felt were math basics.

Last edited by Whole Milk; 12-31-2014 at 03:46 AM..

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 AM

I have been on and off Khan Academy since I was in... ninth grade (it was way back when it was simpler to use and there wasn't all that flashy stuff going on ) I remember I had to learn some algebra concept I wasn't understanding for an exam that was coming up, and it was seriously a gold mine. I understood everything in less than 10 minutes, while my teacher was spending weeks on that concept and I wasn't getting it either way.

And I haven't been back on that site until the beginning of last year, when I started to take an IB Math Higher Level course (its college-level calc and statistics, and I HATE IT ) I didn't understand a lot of the concepts because they class is based on using the knowledge that you learn rather than drilling. Before, I was totally fine doing the drills and everything, but now that I had to apply the concepts to real-life problems... it was scary.

I went through tutoring, going to a program for students struggling in math after school every day, nothing worked. And I was a junior last year, so everything else on top of that class was devastating to my grades. I just didn't know what to do, until I realized one day that I had an account on Khan Academy that was sitting in a pile of dust for a long while and decided to use it. And just like that first time that I used it, I just got it. And now that there are exercises along with the videos for reinforcement, I can confidently say that I understand the concepts well enough to apply them to the problems that I do.

I have also made an account on Degreed, I haven't used it a whole lot (partially because I'm locked out of my account.. ). It's a lot like Khan Academy, except they take your interests and give you sources, videos, testimonies and other resources to help you complete your degree. It's absolutely free and while it isn't like Khan Academy where it is more generalized and you can just look up whatever you want to learn, I also like having a list of resources I can choose from to learn about for that day.

Whole Milk
journal addict

Old 01-04-2015, 03:14 AM

I wish I found Khan Academy when I was younger and doing some correspondences courses. The way the site is set up helps me learn too. Their videos are amazing and step through things slowly enough for me and I can skip ahead if I feel like it.

I visited Degreed and wow. Very pleased. I kind of got lost in it actually. I like how the whole internet is the learning resource for it. I also really appeals to my very space-y mind. I get distracted easily but this may branch me into the next topic when that happens. Very cool! Thanks for mentioning it!

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 PM

I don't think I have found any other resource that is just as broad and equally in-depth as Khan Academy. There are just so many things that you can do on that site; whether it's going through a concept, relearning old concepts or learning new ones, there is something for everyone. And that's what I like about it. I have made a whole new account for Degreed, so I hope I can start actually using it again

Whole Milk
journal addict

Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 PM

It really is amazing. I'm glad the Gate's help support it. I'm not sure it would be quite as spectacular as it is now without them. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to contribute as well. But I still have a fair bit to go before then.

What are you focusing on on Khan Academy? And Degreed?

I'm at about 27% the world of math now. I've mastered 79% of arithmetic and hopefully can fully complete it today. Maybe also complete place value and decimals (which is a 5th grade area).

For Degreed I've signed up to a motivation path and a nutrition path. Not quite sure where I want to go yet.

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-07-2015, 01:43 AM

I'm trying to focus on both, but for now, since my exams are coming up, I've been focusing on Khan Academy more. I'm all for the Gates supporting the website, I just felt like it was pretty good the way it was before. To me the best feature on the site is featuring teachers other than Sal uploading and teaching on Khan Academy rather than making it all about him, you know? It makes for a really diverse learning platform, which I really like