The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-19-2009, 02:07 AM

I have a girlfriend who is very very good at art, and she wants to help her dad make money (she has a few medical problems so she feels bad about him having to take care of her), so I told her she should try and sell some of her computer art.

She doesn't like the TOS for Deviant Art (I don't know why) but what I'm asking assistance for, is I want to find a reliable website where she would be able to sell some of the drawings she has made.

Note: Even if you've never used a website you can always bring it up =) I'm always up for researching a site.

kerryfox
Nyo!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 AM

She could just take commissions via paypal, I know several artists who operate that way. They have DA accounts for publicity, or some even have their own home pages.

http://www.etsy.com is another online market place that is worth looking into. I know they do textile stuff but I am not sure how art stuff works there.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 AM

I don't think Etsy.com would work... it's for "handmade" things, not computer art. Thanks for trying though =)

For DA how would that work? o.o

kerryfox
Nyo!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:01 AM

Well, if you want to sell art online you have to have examples. A gallery DA or any thing like it can help you promote and show off your latest art work. Many DA commissioners have a journal post they operate out of, with lists of how much and how to order.

http://www.cafepress.com/ is another site I know of too, and she can do other things then just sell prints and such. people like cute things on buttons and so on. Many webcomic artist use this place to make teeshirts and the like for less then if they did it them selves.

Larele
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 AM

Kaze..are you sure this would go in LI? Um..I mean..not sure..but um..huh..well..
Thanks helping people. =)

Liath
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Liath Send a message via MSN to Liath

Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 AM

there's another site called storm artists (i don't remember the URL but if you type it in google or something i'm sure you'll find it) that's basically just like deviantart, but better in some ways. I'm not a member of it so i don't know what the selling art process is like. But you could always check it out and see.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-19-2009, 06:46 AM

@ Liath - Hmm... seems more like a art forum... I see really mentioning selling art.

@ Larele - Thanks =D

@ kerryfox - I asked her about Deviant art and she's set on not joining at all. Something about being to crowded or something I forget. As for the link, I've been looking and I can't find anything about how selling works (since the art/stuff is put on products).

Volucria
*^_^*

Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM

She may want to go to http://www.epilogue.net if she's really, really good. Someone I used to know had a gallery there, and she got commissioned for book covers/illustrations by people who visited her Epilogue gallery.

If Epilogue is not an option, I would recommend http://www.elfwood.com. It looks nicer than dA and because every piece of art submitted is accepted or rejected by a moderator, it's not full of crappy doodles like dA is. Another plus is that Elfwood automatically puts a copyright under each submission, with a link to a page where the copyright rules are explained. She could link a Cafepress account to her EW account to make it easier for people to buy stuff.

She could use dA if she wants to. The plus side of dA is that it automatically links the visitor to Cafepress if you've put a particular drawing up for sale, but for the rest I'm personally not too fond of dA.

She could also consider starting her own website, but only if she's certain that she would make enough money to cover domain costs and if she knows something about/wants to learn CSS and HTML.

Erised D. Sire
*^_^*

Old 02-19-2009, 02:34 PM

I sell my art on dA, but not as prints because you don't get much profit. She can set up a journal about RL commissions and people can pay via paypal or snailmail (if she wants). There she can write the details about commissioning her like how much for CG works, sketches, or traditional pieces if she does those and how much it'll cost if she were to send the original copy. I think this is a very simple way of doing it. And she can advertise in her signature that she does RL commissions and it shouldn't bother anyone.

OR if she's on an avatar site, she can probably have a small shop where she can have her samples or have a portfolio thread (I think there is a subforum for those somewhere on some sites) and post that she takes RL commissions then have people PM her for details. And she can give people the link for it if people want to see examples.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 PM

This thread is better suited for Art Discussion, and will probably get more responses here :)

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 AM

@ Melody - Thanks lotses *hugs* =)

@ Erised - That all sounds complicated o.o

@ Volucria - I'll look at them... thanks =)

--

Seems Cafepress is mentioned a lot. Gonna have to do extra research that one =3

vampirebox

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM

If she can find a way to print her work at a reasonable cost, Etsy would probably work - there are tons of photographers on Etsy that sells reproductions of their photographs.
eBay may also work, as there is a HUGE userbase.

Crophecy
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 PM

You could check out CGhub.com or mangarevolution.com :)