p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 08-11-2014, 10:09 PM

The golden haired girl watched the kidnapper move to the door, carefully pushing the furniture out of the way. She wondered if all of the doors downstairs had been closed. They hadn't heard any of the zombies inside the house after they were in the room, right? Still, Sophie was tense, as he opened the door. She followed him when he motioned for her, assuming the coast was clear.

He pulled down an attic hatch and tugged at its ladder. She glared at him when he questioned her, though he probably wouldn't know why for sure. He might think it was because she was offended that he even had to ask, that she could of course get herself up there. But in reality, Sophie put her hands on her hips, trying to keep her voice low in her angry whisper.

"What do you think I am? Some kind of circus performer? I'm barely above being called short. If I grabbed onto it, what leverage would I even have to get up there? Wouldn't it be a million times easier, if you just boosted me up?" she said quickly and sharply. "Better yet, I'd love to see your circus tricks. Go on, get up there. Then you can pull me up," she said, crossing her arms and turning up her nose.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 08-19-2014, 05:55 PM

The nerve she had! Not only she was glaring daggers at him, but she was doing so for the most senseless reason. It was as if she was more offended by his question than being handcuffed. Or at least equally so. And that was just absurd. Then again, that's just how women's mind worked. You try to at least act considerate and they take it as a bloody insult. He simply hadn't wanted to startle her by hauling her up there and this is what he got? "Forget I friggin' bothered to ask," he said in quiet tone, but there was only half-restrained annoyance in it, approaching the blonde. As cool as he usually was, the whole situation was getting under his skin (she was) and Ryan couldn't keep the scowl away from his features.

Without warning, he grabbed the woman by her waist and dragged her closer to ladder unceremoniously. (Ignoring any protests or attempts to push him away.) His grip tightened, but didn't grow painful, as Ryan lifted her up with practically effortless ease. It wasn't that she was heavy that he held her firmer, he just didn't want to lose grip of her through that cloak. In fact, she seemed nearly weightless in his arms, especially if he supported Sophie more with his left that seemed to have grown more strong not only in bone, but muscle as well, ever since the augmentation. Not that he had been any weakling before that.

Now she not only had easy access to ladder, but was lifted well through the hatch. Hopefully, she quickly scrambled her way up and albino man bit back a commentary about... Whatever. Instead, he jumped slightly and grabbed firm hold onto one of the highest metal bars and continued to climb the ladder only using his arms to pull himself up. It was short moments later that white head popped out of hatch and then, just about long, before he scrambled onto the rooftop. Ryan's face was once again schooled in calm mask, since he had to hide the wince from the sting where ladder's leg had jabbed him in calf in that last pull when his hand had slipped to side just so.

He looked about, nodding slightly in approval at the flat roof with no edges and at the close proximity of next one. The man looked at his bracelet, tapped it few times and then looked ahead with slight frown. For some reason, it wasn't sensing the hole they had torn last night. (Or rather, the weak spot he had abused.) "Do these dimensional holes, rifts, whatever, mend themselves over time or they're constant?" he asked the blonde. Ryan guessed she knew more about these things than he did and if she wasn't too busy with being offended and bitchy, she might help him solve this mystery. Meanwhile, he approached one of the roof's edges, to look what was below. They had to go this way, but if the jump here would be too dangerous, he could find another way.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM

Sophie had had her arms crossed with her nose turned up to the sky when she felt his hands on her. "Hey!" she protested. Though she quit squirming as he lifted her up into the hatch. She didn't want to fall after all. She grabbed on to the top of the ladder, and placed a knee on a lower part before pulling herself from the white haired wonder's grip. Sophie pulled herself up and into the attic and turned around to kick the ladder down but he'd already jumped up to grab onto the ladder to pull himself up.

"Show off," she grumbled. When he was inside the attic, she gave him a push to the chest. It was somewhat a playful gesture, not violent, though Sophie meant it. "Quit manhandling me," she said as she did it. She followed him to the rooftop, looking around as he did. He was tapping at his bracelet and Sophie shook her head before moving to look off the side of the roof.

She returned her attention to him when he spoke. Like she should give him any useful information. It wasn't like the information would help or harm her situation though, so she shrugged. "They heal over time. It just depends on their size and how they got there. The one we came through was pretty small. I s'pose you're seeing in your cute little gadget there that it's already closed?" She couldn't sense it either.

"Anyway. If your stylish little accessory wasn't a piece of junk, it could just open one of its own, anywhere it wanted. Like me," she said matter-of-factly. It was true that Sophie could do that. But it was really really hard. She'd only done it a handful of times because it drained her energy completely. It was something she could get better at with practice, but she haattteeddd doing all that practicing. It was like being in school, and it was such a drag.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM

He quirked an eyebrow, a little irritated and slightly amused, when Sophie shoved at him which had been highly ineffective, of course. "It's you who needed a boost and to see my trick," he reminded her with slight smirk. The fact he could have provided the boost without touching her in the slightest was besides the point. Especially since it was physically easier to 'manhandle' her than lift her with one of his spheres. Besides, it's not like she knew he was capable of more than invisibility and sound absorption. Always good to keep a trick or two up your sleeve.

At the girl's explanation, he gave a noncommittal hum in reply. Her attempted insult about bracelet flew over Ryan's head, since he didn't particularly care for the item. Although, as the plan became firmer in his mind, the more he cared for the item, but the man also recognized its weaknesses. Well, he'd learn to live with them when the came to claim the gadget as his.... If this flaw didn't cost his humanity first.

He didn't feel obliged to comment that they probably wanted her to make better version of the bracelet so it could do the same as hers and rubbed chin in thought, sizing up the distance between this and next roof. He could make it with ease, the gap not larger than two big steps. And if she had issues crossing it, the albino knew he'd catch her, one way or another.

He walked few steps back and broke into short run, flying over the emptiness and landing on other roof good deal away from edge. "It's this way," he gestured, rather impatiently. Although he felt better now, cool and crisp air clearing his thoughts, Ryan couldn't ignore how starkly he felt it against heated skin of his face around the gash.

Similarly, they'd cross five more roofs, zig-zagging through the city that looked absolutely abandoned, but he didn't let his guard down. And on the fifth roof, they encountered another decayed being that once must have been a human. Shreds of suit still hung about its form as it slowly ascended the fire escape stairs. Ryan's expression twisted for a brief moment and he pulled out his dagger, approaching the creature straight on. It, now on roof, tried coming closer, but bumped into something and let out somewhat of a frustrated growl.

Stalking around the trapped creature that was far too slow to turn in time with the white haired man, he let the trap drop in last second and buried the weapon nearly hilt deep in its head. Moment later, he pulled it back out and its victim slumped forward, crumpling into pile of disfigured limbs and body. Ryan swiped the blade against the suit remains and sheathed it, heading for next roof edge as if the short delay had never happened. Unfortunately, this building was on edge what seemed to be main street and they would have to cross it somewhere to continue in the direction his bracelet guided him.

Man frowned slightly and looked at Sophie, as if sizing her up. To ship them both over the street which could tire him, and attract zombie attention, or sneak down and over the street, then in some building and continue their rooftop run, also possibly getting in a huge fight with zombies? Which of the two crappy options was less crappy? God, it'd be so much easier if he was on his own, wouldn't it.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 PM

He jumped across the space between roofs and Sophie imagined herself running the opposite direction. It wouldn't work though. Well it would, but then she'd be stuck with this ridiculous collar for the rest of forever. There were worse things she could be stuck with forever, she supposed. Chronic hiccups, an itch in places one doesn't need an itch, the white haired wonder...

Sophie sighed and got herself a running jump to cross the space, too. Her legs were shorter than his, and she preferred more running to the start, but she was lighter, too. She didn't have any trouble keeping up, only stopping when he did. She looked past him at the living dead creature hobbling towards them. Would he become like that? His cut was looking worse by the minute; all infected and, threatening to ooze at any moment. She shuddered, feeling worse than she probably should for him.

He disposed of the creature so quickly that Sophie barely had time to bring herself out of her own thoughts before he was on the move again. They both came to the edge of the building together, probably think the exact same things. Mulling options and wishing they were alone. All of the options sucked. Sophie sighed. She could just open up a portal, and she was seriously considering it. Though it wouldn't be to the world he needed, and there was no guarantee that it would be safer than this one, which could potentially be really bad, since Sophie wouldn't be able to fight or run after the exertion.

Sophie glanced around. They could head down the fire escape and cross the street, there didn't seem to be a lot of those dead things around down there. In fact, Sophie hadn't spotted one yet. Or they could...... Well, she had nothing. "So down we go then?" she asked quietly. She glanced over at him with a grimace. "Seriously, what's your plan with that?" she asked, referring to the cut. "I mean, you know you're going to turn into one of those things right?"

She was keeping her voice low as to not draw attention. "We can't exactly wander around here looking for a cure. Do your, kidnapping bosses, have a cure? I'm just saying, if you're going out anyway, you might as well take this collar off, you know, just in case." She wasn't trying to be insensitive to his situation, but he wasn't exactly being sensitive to hers. Besides, she was only looking at things logically, and out for herself, of course.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 PM

"They will fix me," he said with more conviction than he actually had, staring out ahead. Damn, if he wasn't on the receiving end of her straight for the jugular pestering, he probably would be amused by her spunk - she really didn't know how to let things go where they concerned her. He still was a little, actually, but Sophie's last statement made his jaw tense and he turned around to face her. "Look," Ryan started, staring her down effectively considering he was good 5 inches taller than her and swaying on the edge between rage and giving up.

"Even if I previously could have considered helping you out before I deliver you," he picked his words carefully, considering that this was as far as he could hint his plan. God, when had it become his plan anyway!? It wasn't like he owed anything to this blonde chick. Despite the inner turmoil, Ryan continued smoothly: "This is a game changer." Long and pale finger pointed at the wound on his face. "I can't return empty handed if I want to live. It's nothing personal." Perhaps he was holding onto that line a little too tightly and falling anyway, because this 'mission' had clearly become personal on some level.

"Now, I have to focus on getting back before things get worse and this conversation is over once and for all. If situation..." there was briefest pause as the man picked his words, "changes, I will know what to do without you pointing it out. Let's move." Ryan felt headache building in his temples and he wondered if it was from what was happening to him or simply from this frustrating situation. Maybe from both?

He turned around and headed for the fire escape stairs, quickly licking his lips in fruitless attempt to wet them, but his mouth was just as dry. That probably was from stress, because despite his futile attempts to ignore what it was, he was under a lot of stress. On too many levels. He quickly descended, trying to walk lightly so not to raise too much noise that could attract unwanted attention. Soon, they were on the narrow street and heading around the building towards main street. Ryan's hand was on knife's hilt, hyper-aware of any noise or movement around them.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM

They would huh? Sophie wasn't so sure how much faith she'd put into a they who hunted and kidnapped innocent girls, but hey, what did she know? She wasn't so innocent. A thief, sure, but it wasn't like she was a murderer or anything. She couldn't imagine what she was needed for.

Sophie had a hard time worrying too hard about it. Worry just wasn't in her nature, and besides. It was probably all just some big misunderstanding. And, if she'd stolen from them, she'd just give whatever shiny trinket it was, back. No big deal. She resisted the intense urge to tell him not to get his panties in such a wad. He was worried. And despite his attempts at hiding it, Sophie could tell. Who wouldn't be a little stressed out about becoming a brain eating zombie?

He was already running off, and Sophie mulled over that bit about him helping her out before the scratch. Had he considered helping her at some point? Well, she would have never guessed that. But that he said it, made her look at the situation in a new light. Maybe he really wasn't all gung-ho about kidnapping innocent girls. Maybe, he was being forced to do it. Nah. He could just run away, surely. Right?

The white-haired wonder was already at ground level when Sophie snapped out of her thoughts and began her own descent down the fire escape. When she caught up to him, she reached out and placed a hand on his arm. "Hey listen," she said quietly. She wasn't really one for sentiments. She hesitated, clearly looking for words. "You'll be great," she said. "Well, not great. That's not what I meant. I mean, no kidnapper should be described as great, probably. But I mean fine. I'm sure you won't turn into the living dead." She gave him a smile. She really was bad at that.

"Things always work out in the end," she continued, moving ahead to look around at their surroundings. "Just like with, this," she gestured to herself and to him. "I'm sure your bosses are just confused. In no time at all, you'll be a normal dude again, and I'll be on my way. Like nothing ever happened. Except you'll probably still be a kidnapper. You should probably look into another career though. This one is really mean. And you know, you don't really have the personality of a kidnapper. I mean, your physique is off, and you're actually hospitable, and even though you try to hide it, there's something behind all that tough guy act. I mean, you're tough, clearly. But you really don't have the big scary psycho, locked in a closet as a child, can't get a girlfriend kidnapper appeal."

All the while she'd been blabbing, she was scouting the area around them. When she finished talking, she turned to see him again. "Sorry," she said. "I talk a lot when I'm nervous. Sometimes I laugh. It's really inconvenient. Obviously." She was doing it again.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 09-27-2014, 09:30 PM

He was about to turn around and remind the blonde that this wasn't best time to stop and daydream, maybe even go and drag her along (to hell with manhandling and what not), when she caught up to him. Ryan stopped and tensed - in that order - at the soft touch, but turned to look at the girl with slight frown. But he did listen, as she had requested even though few sentences in her ramble, he shook Sophie's hand off lightly. It was too familiar gesture for his liking, especially in the given situation.

Especially since he had surroundings to investigate, which he did thoroughly. Since there were no signs of life, well, rather movements of any sorts, Ryan afforded to shoot his companion incredulous look. Was she for real? He couldn't recall anyone who was both so expressive in their opinions and so damn optimistic. To the point of naivety. She truly was young, like a child, daring to speak whatever came to her mind and believing in a good outcome of all matters. Had she never had had to pay for her actions or it had been like water on duck's back?

When Sophie looked at him, the scowl was back in place, though. He was in no mood to discuss his tough guy 'act'. It wasn't even an act, goddammit. But then again, she was making a habit out of making wild assumptions about him and his life. The fact that she touched some facts that may be closer to truth than she thought was something the man decided to not let get under his skin. Perhaps that was her plan, to pry something out of him. Since she had been so keen on reminding him how he ought to free her, Ryan couldn't quite believe she would switch to sunnier outlook about the situation now and just drop it.

Ryan quirked an eyebrow at the end. "Oh, good to know. And here I thought you had hit your head. Hard," he commented wryly and then his tone changed to harsher one, "now, no more talking." Mouth set in firm line, he moved along one of the buildings and then darted over street, perhaps with greater speed than he seemed to be capable of in his wrecked state. The man would make sure she follows before continuing on.

Rest of their journey was mostly uneventful, aside from nearly-run in with large group of zombies that he managed to notice beforehand and drag her behind some trash containers, partly covering Sophie with his body and setting slight cover of illusion over them. After that, they moved up on roofs again where they had advantage of being higher view point. When they finally reached their destination, he settled down on roof's corner, pale eyes sweeping a searching look over surroundings every few moments and then settling down on her, before moving to stare at some point in sky. Ryan felt a bit like his body was in auto pilot and his mind detached from the events. There was a kind of surreal feel to it, but not of the good kind. No, it rather bitter and ugly instead.

The taint from the wound slowly spread further down his face, marking blood vessels on their way and by the time they were able to open portal, they were already way down his neck. Even if the blonde tried to talk with him, he was rather unresponsive, cold and distant look on his face. This sense of detachment served while planning out course of action for next week and when the bracelet finally responded to his touch, tearing a hole in the fabrics of reality, Ryan was sure this was the right thing to do. Or as close as he would ever get to doing the right thing.

His hand was heavy on her shoulder as he led Sophie through the portal right into sterile hall with at least 7 people, some in white coats of doctors, but at least 2 wore expensive suits. For second, they all were frozen and then came to life, rushing towards the pair and pulling them apart and last he saw her being held, firmly but not quite roughly (unless she struggled), by arms and led out of the hall, slightest pang of doubt and closest thing to regret he could afford wrapping up his thoughts.

It took him longer than he had planned. The first three days he spent in hospital bed, practically in quarantine, and half of the time he was dragged in the dark depths of his subconscious, feverish nightmares taking over. He'd rather never go through something like that for again in future, but he didn't have too high hopes of that since this wasn't first or even second time. Still, luck had been on his side in one particular aspect and the plague could be battled with incredibly strong immunity boost and some other chemical wonders. (They said something about in-direct contact with infection's cause and some other nonsense.) What was more, docs said his body had now developed an antibody of sorts and he was zombie-proof. His blood was closest thing to vaccine now. At least for that particular zombie-plague.

After that, Ryan had began preparing for his departure. Of course, all his actions were well covered up and excused by the fact he had another near death experience and he never wanted to go on a mission unprepared again or leave his matters not taken care of here. Not that they really cared what he did. He was just a pawn - useful one, but still just a pawn. Besides, he had proved his loyalty and worth. And the man was careful not to hint otherwise, asking about Sophie just once in casual manner and nonchalantly shrugging when reminded it was none of his business.

But now, two weeks later, all the preparations were done, even the legal ones that had taken far too much time, but he had cared too much to do it sloppily or drop midway through (and she was partially at fault, making him think of his past and what it meant to care.) It's time for the hard part. Smirk flickered over his lips, as the doors slide open without noise revealing surveillance room. The man lounging in the chair in front of all the screens tensed up and swiveled his seat around, but he saw nothing. It didn't make him less wary however and he stood up, hand going to his radio, but it never reached as invisible fist clocked him right in temple. And then in gut, for good measure. It took few minutes then for the security guard to get tied up, gagged, robbed of access card, gun and stuffed in janitor's closet little down the hall, as cliche as it is.

He turned the cameras off and the clock started ticking in his mind. It's only so long before someone will notice something's amiss, so he has to be quick. And despite this very rational thought, he paused by the room entitled as "Storage". If he is correct, one of the many lockboxes there contains Sophie's belongings, perhaps even that stupid orb of hers. So, against his better judgement, he used access card and slipped inside. Quick dig through logs revealed that around time of their dimension travelling adventure, belongings of "object #9763" were put in box numbered 205 and Ryan hoped the card would grant him access to it as well. No such luck of course, so he simply busted the lock and then door. Eh, it's not like he'll have to pay for property damage later, right?

The man stuffed the items in his backpack, aside from bag that he flung on his shoulder and hurriedly left the 'crime scene', closing doors behind him. Now he had to find the room that Sophie was in. Just because he hadn't openly questioned about her didn't mean he hadn't done his best to find out about her situation. Ryan hoped that she wouldn't be drugged too deeply, like she was the first few days, and able to cooperate somewhat, although he was willing to carry her out if needed. Perhaps it'd be good, less chance she'd make noise unless she woke up in middle of some corridor... Maybe not so good after all.

Ryan stopped in front of doors to her room, hand automatically rubbing his face where red mark stood out against his naturally pale skin. The wound had healed up nicely, but the jagged scar would remain. Not that he really cared, his mug getting scarred was bound to happen sooner or later. He just wondered how long it would take for him to get rid of nervous tick of touching it, as if checking that it was really closed and no black ooze seeped through his blood vessels. With frustrated (at her, him or Zofies, he didn't know) huff, he slid the security card through the lock and felt tiniest bit of relief when soft buzz notified him that the doors had been unlocked.

He opened doors slightly and moved inside, dropping the invisibility shield and immediately going "shhh" if the girl was awake and aware of his presence. "Come on," Ryan spoke hurriedly, moving to her side (opening any restraints if they were there and helping her up, if needed), "and if you make a single noise, I'll leave you wherever we are, even if it's middle of the damn corridor." And only corner of his mind told him that it was empty threat. As soon as they were ready to leave, even if he had to carry her, the man surrounded them with his sphere once more, hiding them from onlookers and moved out, decisively heading down corridors that were more alike endless, white maze than anything.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Last edited by sadrain; 09-27-2014 at 09:34 PM..

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Sophie shrugged when he told her he'd thought she hit her head. It was a logical assumption for her word vomit. She gave him a real military style salute when he told her to stop talking. She'd wanted to, it just hadn't worked when her brain told her to stop talking. Her mouth just kept moving, it was like magic. Bad magic.

She followed the white haired wonder through the city easily. The venture was mostly uneventful, except when she was suddenly yanked behind trash containers. They watched as a group of wandering zombies passed in search of edible flesh, and Sophie was thankful that her kidnapper had that invisible, thing.

The blonde had to remind herself though that he wasn't protecting her because he actually liked her, but because he'd probably get in a lot of trouble if she died. Better that way anyway, she thought. Sophie was a loner, and really, she could take care of herself. Still, she followed him, just eager to get where they were going and sort out this misunderstanding.

She'd glanced at the cut on his face, and it was looking really, really, bad. She tried not to grimace, but surely the longer they took the less chance he stood at surviving that, even with some kind of miracle cure. Her eyes only averted when he opened a portal of his own. She'd given it an approving nod. Not bad for a dumb bracelet. Then his hand was on her shoulder and they were stepping through into a hall.

Oh good, there were doctors. That had to be a plus, showing up in a hospital. This was a hospital right? So after he was cured then they'd go find his employers? That was fine, it'd probably give Sophie a few days to think about what she'd say depending on the trinket she'd stolen or who they'd mistaken her for.

She only frowned when all eyes stopped on her. The lab coats were grabbing onto her arms and she became instantly confused. "I'm not infected," she'd tried to say, but they were leading her away. She glanced over her shoulder at the white haired wonder. Would he be okay? Perhaps this was just precaution. They'd make sure she wasn't infected, of course. It only made sense. A zombie outbreak would be an endemic in any world.

Sophie had been prepared to go willingly, stubborn as she was. "Let go," she'd snapped at one of them. "I'm capable of walking on my own." Yeesh. They'd entered a room and Sophie was instructed to put her belongings in a box, as well as her cloak. She did, only confused by their looks of surprise as they wondered why she was so compliant. One of the suits had returned with someone who Sophie could only assume to be someone of higher standing within whatever the white haired wonder worked for. His eyes twinkled with possibilities when he looked at her. He spoke with an authority that had the lab coats and suits making haste at his orders.

Everything after that would return to Sophie in blurred fragments. She recalled words like, 'experiments', 'testing', and something along the lines of figuring out how Sophie could traverse dimensions. A struggle and fight had ensued, and while two held Sophie down, another had injected something into her neck. The sting of the needle much less alarming than that of the speed of whatever sedative had kicked in.

Her vision had blurred as the suit with the menacing twinkle in his eyes sneered triumphantly down at her. The ensuing days were also blurs and fragments of this and that. She'd woken up once in a dark room with a single bright light shining over her. A lab coat on her right was drawing blood and one on her left was sticking round pads attached to wires to her chest and her temples.

Another time she'd woken alone in a dimly lit room. There were computer monitors around her and a giant mirror on the wall in front of her. She could only assume that it was a two way mirror. There were wires stuck to her here and there and thin hoses that disappeared into the skin of her forearms. She'd blinked a fog away and as she sat up, her head throbbed. She began pulling the pads from her skin and the needles and hoses from her veins leaving little dribbles of blood from the holes. She vaguely caught sight of a new tattoo on the opposite arm of the Innedae, a number she didn't focus on for now.

Computer monitors around her beeped and flashed and suddenly the lab coats were back. She was no match in her state for any of them, especially a group of them. Someone said something about upping the sedation dosage, and adding restraints, and then she felt that familiar prick in her neck before her limbs grew heavy and the room spun.

Sophie would also recall dream like conversations around her. Learning that the white haired wonder was actually called Ryan. She also learned that they were trying to use Sophie's DNA to create armies of compliant soldiers who could infiltrate other dimensions or open up portals in large numbers or large sizes to allow armies and equipment through, whichever was easiest or doable with Sophie's DNA. Of course, once they had it, they'd also have to learn how Sophie accessed and used it.

Since then, she'd been moved to a normal room, though hospital-like as it still was. They'd more than likely taken enough of her blood and DNA and whatever else they'd needed, and she'd spent the last couple of days under monitor. Soon they'd begin more testings, to figure out how Sophie used her special power. It had only been a day or so since they'd slowly lowered her sedation doses to keep her coherent. She still wore one of those damn collars, to keep her from just opening a portal and leaving. And only an hour or so ago, Sophie had fallen asleep.

Images flooded her mind of white lab coats smeared with spots of Sophie's blood hovering over her with needles and scalpels. She'd tried to protest but no matter how many times she opened her mouth, her voice wouldn't come. A harsh rasp in her throat choked her words off and she couldn't breathe. She was choking, and fighting and they were holding her down. The room was spinning and she tried to breathe but no air came. She was suffocating! Didn't they know!?

Sophie sat up in the bed quickly, gasping for air. She sucked in huge lung fulls of it. The room was dark, and she was alone. It was just a nightmare. Another nightmare. She reached up and rubbed her hands over her face and pushed blonde hair from her eyes. The Innedae on her right wrist took her back to the jungles of Arushba where she'd gotten the tattoo. A tribal leader had chosen an Innedae for her, because she too was beautiful, like the bird, and just as elusive and free.

She choked a laugh through a sob. She wasn't elusive enough. And now she wasn't free at all. A bird in a cage. Typically warm hazel brown eyes with golden flecks, dropped to the newest tattoo. Now dull, grey eyes, read the numbers again, for the hundredth time; '9763'. That's all she was here. A number. A room. An object, valuable enough for now, to keep alive. And then what? Her thoughts strayed to the white haired wonder they'd called Ryan. He'd known... all along, hadn't he?

Red rimmed eyes blinked heavily. The sedatives kept her so tired, and weak. She laid down again, but she wouldn't close her eyes. Sophie never willingly closed her eyes. If she did that, then the nightmares would come again. Sometimes, she even had nightmares about Ryan becoming a zombie in the hospital and she'd wake up to zombie doctors closing in on her, strapped to her bed. No, she wouldn't close her eyes. Her body trembled and she heard a noise at the door. They'd come for her again. Her heart raced, but there wasn't anything she could do. There never was.

She sat up again as the door opened, expecting a lab coat. But instead, Ryan materialized as his invisibility cloak faded around him. He was alive after all. Somehow Sophie felt a mix of relief, along with immense anger, and she opened her mouth, but he was shushing her. She frowned at him in silent anger, and confusion. Why was he even here? He removed the restraint that kept her from ever moving much farther than her bed, and was threatening to leave her behind.

Was he, saving her? Sophie blinked owlishly with those dull red rimmed eyes, and nodded. She slipped her legs off the side of the bed and stood. They felt like rubber, and her knees gave out for an instant, but Sophie caught herself. She was too stubborn and too determined not to overcome the tiny amount of sedation left in her system. She was grateful for the hospital gown's velcro that held the back together as they exited the room. She knew they were shielded from the eyes of passersby, but there was nothing more uncomfortable than being exposed in a strange place with strange people.

They traversed the maze of halls, and with each passing minute, Sophie grew weaker. It had been a very long time since she'd used the muscles of her legs, and here her veins still coursed with a light sedative. She was breathing more heavily than she should have been, and her heart fluttered and raced in her chest rapidly. She reached out and grasped Ryan's arm. She'd only meant to stop him from walking, but instead she'd ended up putting a great deal of her weight on him to hold herself up. She clutched at her chest with her other hand, and her body trembled again, possibly from the chill of the hospital, or the weakness in her muscles. Perhaps she was scared, unlike her.

Her stubborn, determined and strong facade was falling. She was very pale, and finally, "I can't," she breathed, shaking her head lightly. She didn't elaborate, not wanting to get them caught, but she was just so weak, so tired. She hadn't gotten any real sleep since before she was brought here, on top of everything else including but limited to no real meals, constant blood loss, pain of wires and minor surgeries and sedatives.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 10-04-2014, 11:27 AM

He had been prepared for whatever may lay beyond the doors when he entered the room, at least he thought he had been, but the drop his stomach did for no apparent reason (other than the one called guilt) said otherwise. The knowledge of how it is to be strapped to bed like some insane person or wild animal didn't make the sight any more pleasant, rather the opposite. His jaw was clenched as he worked to free her from straps, glancing at the girl's face only once or twice. It wasn't that Ryan was avoiding eye contact with her, that'd require him feeling guilty, but he simply didn't have time to gauge her anger right now. And Sophie had to be angry. He'd be furious.

The man still noticed how weak and out of it she seemed. (The marks across her visible skin, sickly gray tint of it and circles around her red-rimmed eyes in face where cheekbones stood out too much told him a story that he was too familiar with to wish on anyone, but he had.) So, when she stumbled a little, he almost reached out to her, but Sophie straightened up and there was the matter of working the sphere around them that required his attention. Not too thick that it would drain him quickly, but firm enough to blur their presence for gaze casually slipping over where they were. Once that was secured, the pair fled the room. Although "fled" might be too strong word for this.

They weren't nowhere as fast as Ryan would have like, as they needed to be. Despite frustration bubbling up, he didn't hiss at her to move faster, knowing it'd have little effect and when she reached out, clutching on him, he stopped to think about their options. With huff, Ryan wrapped left arm around her shoulders, rather effectively holding her up and pulling along for some 30 feet until they came to stairwell. The man paused again, glancing down at the blonde head bowing down - it was clear that she would be incapable of running even if he held her up. Cussing softly, barely audible, under his breath something about "those damn leeches" and suddenly, picked Sophie up, one arm under her knees and other supporting her back, holding the girl rather tight.

He was rushing down the staircase when the alarm resounded all through the building. For brief moment, Ryan cringed visibly, not just at the unpleasant howl, but also what it meant for them. Well, there was no 'them', just him and her and honestly, it wasn't sensible to do this, but he was a man who finished what he had started. He made down another level before hearing heavy footsteps of guards moving towards them. He turned sideways, somewhat shielding Sophie with his body as the group of men in dark uniforms ran past them, none seemingly noticing the slight fuzziness on one of the walls. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of space on the stairs and one of the last three men ran full force into albino's backpack. If Ryan hadn't braced himself for impact, already ready for this on some level, he'd have crashed into the wall, probably crushing the girl.

Not waiting for guards to realize what this meant, he leaped down half of next flight of stairs. Moments later, fire was opened and bullets rained over where they had been. Ryan's breathing grew labored as he ran and weaved another layer in his sphere now one that would reflect some damage sent their way. Just one more level and they'd be at the side exit and... Of course they had secured it. But there were only two guards, he could do this. Hauling Sophie up on his good shoulder (funny that it now counted to be his left) and holding her there, he pulled out the gun he had pilfered from security guard. These two knew that the escapees were coming their way so they were prepared, opening fire sooner than Ryan would have liked - maybe one of them saw through his invisibility ruse. So, he did what he had to do, dropping his 'cloak' and channeling all his energy in reflecting shield, he shot in response.

One of guards dodged, but other was hit point blank in chest. The vest protected him, but the pain was enough to stall his next moment and next bullet went through his head. Ryan now was down on the floor and moving for the doors, firing at the remaining guard and forcing him to retreat under the stairs. (His shield was meant for ranged fight, not up-close, he couldn't allow anyone shoot from close range or it'd go right through.) He kicked the doors open backwards, not turning his back to the guard until he was out and then broke out into sprint for the high chain link fence in the distance. Sophie suddenly didn't feel so light anymore, still half flung over his shoulder, and his backpack seemed to have gained some weight as well, but he had to make it and he would---

Turrets. They had turrets cleverly hidden under soil. "For f**k's sake," Ryan groaned, having stolen a glance behind him right as the ugly machinery reared their heads out of the grass and he already saw stream of guards flowing out of the building, first group too close for comfort. The man began zip-lining, but the turrets seemed to predict his movement pattern, each hail of bullets hitting closer to his heels. Or rather, knees, back - everywhere. Obviously, they had figured that he wasn't worth it taking in alive and that perhaps everything they needed could be salvaged from Sophie's dead remains. Or someone was over-eager with their duty. He moved Sophie off of his shoulder, holding her somewhat bridal style again so she wouldn't be so directly in line of fire. In that moment, chunk of ice landed right in front of Ryan, the collision sending small ice crystals flying and cutting his face.

He barely managed to flee around it when what could simply be described as fireball came flying over a hair's space over his head. Not that he was surprised, of course Zofies would have changed ones as guards. But it meant something uncomfortable about how short the distance between them had gotten although he didn't have time to look behind him. 10 more feet and they'll be at fence that towered over them. His head was burning at this point, trying to maintain the shield, and now he had to create something else entirely - something to lift them both over the fence. At least it was something he had mastered early, his own limited form of flying he had been addicted to as a kid.

Feet and half up in the air, he felt something to grab at his leg and instinctively kicked. His boot collided with something hard and there was a yelp that turned into growl and a look down confirmed that his assaulter was either of Monster rank or one of Zofies' experiments. Maybe both. Not entirely human or wolf, it's red eyes gleamed in darkness its jaws snapped and claws swept at Ryan. He kicked and shot, another one through the head, but even in its last movement, being's - human's of a different kind - claws dug in his leg, sending searing pain through his lower calf. Ryan nearly lost control over his powers and for sickening moment, the lifting 'platform' stalled and even seemed to slide down, but then they were soaring up and over the fence. But he had no time to ease them down slowly, especially not with the element users on their heels and Ryan swept the platform away, falling down on the ground, but managing to twist so that he got the full impact, with Sophie landing on him, not other way around.

Painful grunt tore its way out of him when the pain in leg intensified, but he got up quickly, still holding the girl and half-limped, half-ran, still somewhat zig-zagging, but even now he had a clear goal. The vehicle he had rented this morning. Under different name, of course, and it now felt parked too far away for his comfort, but it was there. He slipped into one of the dark alleys, breath coming out in heavy huffs now. Just a half block more and he had exchanged the full-out shield for faint invisibility cloak again, in case one of the guards could fly and scout ahead of others. When he reached the car, he rather unceremoniously put Sophie down on ground, digging key out of his pocket. (Was his fingers trembling? No, it couldn't be.)

Half a minute later, he was stuffing her in backseat, dropping her bag in Sophie's lap, and then, they were off. Instead of taking high way (literally, as this was one of the hybrid hover cars and most travelling happened through sky nowadays) right away, he drove through bunch of alleys and smaller streets before going onto one the mains streets and then off into sky-ways. He drove fast, but within the limit and carefully enough not to attract attention of police. After all, Ryan didn't have a driver's license - he just knew how to drive. And he wasn't in mood to punch a policeman. Okay, he was exactly in the mood for that, but that's not what they needed. (Again that pesky "they" word.) Especially since he was wanted for stealing a car few hours ago that he had left as fake trail.

Weaving through the rather jammed traffic, he headed for outskirts of the city where most abandoned factories and buildings lay. Of course they would look for him there, but there was little chance they knew the territory as well as he did. He had lived there for too big part of his life to be caught easily there. Besides, that was just temporary stop. Ryan couldn't leave the car right outside his hideout, however, so they'd have to walk again. Well, he'd walk and carry her, probably. He glanced at the mirror to catch a glimpse of Sophie and determine how unwell she was feeling.

Moving the car towards ground in one fell swoop, landing in one of the narrow back alleys that ran through this block like dirty, blackened veins where only miserable life still hid. Getting out of vehicle proved to be a bit more painful than Ryan had expected, but it wasn't the word he had had. He helped Sophie out as well and unless she protested, picked the girl up and, as fast as he could, moved through the streets. The man kept up frail invisibility shield, not to attract unneeded attention - wounded, white-haired man carrying girl in hospital gown was not the most unusual sight people around these parts had seen, but it still would stand out and although normally none of them would blabber to any sort of 'straight edges' about one of their own, he didn't exactly get along with everyone here so someone holding a grudge could be more loose-lipped.

Finally, he reached old apartment building and slipped through creaky doors, choosing to stumble up one flight of stairs and then the apartment at the end of hall. He set blonde girl down before opening the doors and letting her inside. It was not in good shape, mostly due to the large, uneven edged hole in the ceilings, but it'd do. Ryan pushed one of the chairs in her direction, motioning her to sit down, while he did a quick check of other rooms. All clear, he noted with mental sigh of relief. Then he returned to her, towering over her for a moment and then leaning in with slight frown. His fingers slid over the collar in multiple places and with soft click, it opened. "There you go," he commented, rather unnecessarily, and retreated for the sofa that looked like it could fall apart under his weight, its springs coming out of many places. It was probably the first thing he had said in this whole time, aside from cursing, since threatening to leave her behind.

Ryan took off his backpack and put the collar in one of its many pockets, pulled out her clothes and handed them over to Sophie. Then he dug out small first aid kit, set on taking care of his leg now. His jeans' pant leg was shredded, his boot had scratch marks, but both had protected the flesh from being clawed up too deep. Sure, it bled nastily, but it looked worse than it was. At least that's how he viewed it. Although the two largest gashes could benefit from stitches, but he'd have to deal with that later. While cleaning the wounds with antiseptic wipes, he chanced few glances at Sophie, trying to figure how long till she felt good enough to use her gift to travel. He wasn't leaving until she was gone, but he wasn't sure how much time they had before Zofies came on his tracks. It could be as long as day or as short as few hours or less.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Last edited by sadrain; 10-08-2014 at 09:07 AM..

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 11-07-2014, 01:37 AM

As they reached the stairs, Sophie's legs burned. There wasn't anywhere near the nourishment in her body as there should have been, much less for this kind of stress and exertion. She looked down the stairs and winced. There was no way she could make it down them. A thin layer of sweat filmed over her forehead. She certainly looked unwell, and her fingers curled even more into Ryan's clothing. She'd been about to tell him that she couldn't go any further, when he picked her up. He must have been able to tell.

Part of Sophie hated that he'd had to pick her up. She wasn't some damned damsel in distress. She could take care of herself. She always had. Until Ryan. She wouldn't forget that he was the reason she was here in the first place. Yet, she was too weak to really grow angry over it. In fat, she was growing so weak, that it was hard for her to focus on any of the following events, as they moved faster than her brain could currently process.

The sirens wailed and hurt Sophie's ears, and she grimaced. They would never make it out of here. Especially with Sophie only weighing them down. Why had he taken a risk like this? He was going to end up killed here, or captive just like her. She kept her face against the white haired wonder, gasping lightly as someone knocked into them in the stairwell. She clung to him as he leaped down the stairs in that next moment, bullets pinging off the walls. At the bottom of the next set of stairs were more guards, wielding more guns. This was it then, Sophie thought. She flinched as they opened fire and squeezed her eyes shut.

Somewhere in the madness, Sophie was moved over a shoulder. She was holding her hands over her ears, and it wasn't until she realized she was actually still alive, and that they were backing through a door, that she opened her eyes again. There was chaos everywhere. Guards were streaming out of doors, machinery hummed and whirred, rising from the ground. She closed her eyes again as she was shifted from his shoulder, feeling weaker than ever. If this kept up, or if they were caught, it would certainly be too much for Sophie, and she would lose consciousness for sure.

Sounds of gunfire and the sight of a burning flame shooting overhead; it all sounded and looked so far away, in a dreamland. Or a nightmare land rather. Perhaps it was just another of Sophie's drug and trauma induced nightmares. Yes. That made much more sense. It wasn't until they came crashing over the other side of the wall, that Sophie opened her eyes again. Had they really, made it? No. This was a nightmare. Nightmares never ended well. Soon, Ryan would turn into a zombie or the lab coats would surround them. Any moment now...

But those things never came. As they reached a car and Ryan dropped her onto the ground, she slumped over. She was really in bad shape. And she couldn't even find the strength to be angry at that, or at Ryan in general. She moved to try and stand as he hurried her into the car, basically shoving her inside. She clung to her bag. She never thought she'd see it again. In fact, as she watched out the window, she never thought she'd see the outside world, or worlds, again.

Sophie couldn't even hold herself up in the car. She leaned against the door and drifted into a short slumber while trying to figure out everything that had just happened. It was when the car stopped, that Sophie's tired and red-rimmed eyes blinked open unwillingly. It hadn't been real sleep, she hadn't had nightmares. For that she was thankful. Ryan plucked her off her feet again, and for that she was also very thankful. Could she call it that? Thankful for Ryan? This had been his fault after all.

She blinked hazily at their surroundings. It looked like the ghetto, or slums of worlds. More than likely a good hiding place. When he set Sophie down, she leaned her back against the wall beside the apartment door. She was still breathing abnormally and her heart was still beating quicker than it should have been. Her eye lids still hung too low, and her movements were slow and sluggish. She stepped inside carefully when he opened the door and looked around. It looked like a fancy hotel room compared to where she'd been living recently. If she could call it living. She quite looked like she was dying at the moment.

Sophie sat gratefully in the chair. She looked very out of it, and didn't seem to realize he'd gone and come again. When he removed the collar, she reached up and felt the flesh of her own throat. It felt almost strange, not wearing the damned thing. Damn it. She frowned, with what energy she could manage. She still hadn't spoken in a quite a long time, and even though she'd initially been about to thank him, she certainly stopped herself before venturing that far.

Taking her clothes gently, she held them in her lap. Could she even find the energy to change? She watched Ryan, cleaning and bandaging himself. He looked pretty beat up. But, "At least, you're not a zombie," she said. It was the first thing she'd said since she'd breathed that she couldn't go any further in the halls of hell. Her voice was weak, almost raspy, yet somehow so very Sophie. Of all things to say.

"Why did you come back?" she wanted to know.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 11-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Finished cleaning small scratches with wipes, he took out wound disinfectant bottle and simply poured the liquid onto deeper wounds. Despite clenching jaw in advance and effort to remain silent, Ryan still hissed at the sting. After that he promptly moved to bandaging the leg and although he seemed to be fully engrossed in this activity, the man was all too aware of Sophie's presence. Part of him expected her to at least attempt to attack him, throw something at him. But she may be waiting to regain some energy for that. He would do that.

And still, her voice caught him off guard, making albino man stiffen inwardly although his expression didn't change. At her crack about his state, he shrugged nonchalantly, "I am survivor, I've had worse." Ryan didn't look at her, focusing instead on the task at hand. The accusation that must be in her eyes was nothing that he needed right now. When Sophie asked next question, he resisted urge to shrug again, set to not show the nervous, shaky after effect of high adrenaline rush.

"I decided I didn't like the work contract after all and figured that I'd quit with bang, besides is there better way to let them know I've torn the deal up as taking back what I delivered to them?" Ryan glanced at her now, confident smirk playing on his lips. And really, what other reason could there be? Certainly not that it was simply the right thing to do, to save this girl from hell that he had pushed her into. Because what had doing the right thing ever gotten him? Only cracked heart and ribs, the latter literally.

The man had finished bandaging his leg, so he pulled shreds of pants over it and stood up, grabbing his bag. "I will let you get changed," he said, moving towards the other room. Ryan didn't feel much inclined for longer conversation right now, knowing the blonde she'd manage to poke at some uncomfortable matters or ask him what he planned to do next. Not that he didn't know how he'd play answer for that off casually. In any case, someone had to keep a watch now and then. He wasn't stupid enough to think that they were fully safe now. Perhaps they never would. No, in fact, he knew that he would always be hunted, until the hunt finally came to an end. The thought was both tiring and just a bit thrilling, appealing to his long since buried longing for adventures.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 PM

"Hm," Sophie responded. So that was all. He came back for her to make a statement. Not because she was a captive human being, being experimented on and that it was wrong. No other reason than that Sophie had been and still was, the white haired wonder's pawn. What did she expect, honestly? Anger bubbled inside her, but then it left in an exhale. She was too tired and weak to care.

When he stood and excused himself so Sophie could change, she didn't say anything. There wasn't much left to say now. A 'thank you' certainly didn't seem to apply to the situation. She sat there for too long, trying to convince herself to move. Finally she did. She'd be happy to get out of the hospital gown, and burn the thing if she could. Sophie glanced around as if to check that she couldn't be seen, not that she felt like it made a difference anymore. With the gown off and tossed away, Sophie was scared to even look at herself.

She was visibly skinnier, and her skin that was usually a lovely sun kissed color, was pale. She had an unwanted tattoo of numbers down the inside of her left forearm and what might be permanent scars in small circle shapes from large needles, hoses and wires in various places; the bends of her elbows, down her right forearm and a few down the upper bit of her spine where they'd accessed her spinal cord. There was another noticeable one on the right side of her head where there was a square patch about the size of a matchbox of hair missing. The hair had begun to grow back by now, but it would be many years before it reached the length her golden hair was now. There had been wires there.

There was a strange curve shaped burn mark running vertically on the upper right side of her chest. It had never been a serious burn and would be gone in a few days with no lingering marks to prove it had ever been there. That had come during an adverse effect of one of their experimental medications meant to keep Sophie under control, yet awake. Her body had a severe reaction to it and she'd gone into cardiac arrest. They'd had to use a defibrillator to resuscitate Sophie, to bring her back from the brink of death. The electrical shock had burned her skin there. She remembered that one all too clearly.

Tears stung at her eyes. She'd been through a lot, and that story barely scratched the surface. She was having a hard time believing she was really free. Sophie put her other clothes on, minus the deep red cloak that she'd been given in another world, the one she'd first fled from Ryan into. She was left in a comfortable pair of shorts, that were made to look like a skirt. Something summery, from who-knows-where, and a tank top that had straps woven across the back with strange little diamond-like jewels scattered throughout it and one side hung off of one of Sophie's shoulders. Another item from a place unlike this.

Both things hung more loosely from Sophie than they had before, and she sniffed back the tears threatening to spill over her cheeks. She wouldn't cry. She couldn't. Seriously, she didn't have the energy or reserves for it. She was exhausted. Sophie sat on the couch with the broken springs. She laid on her side with the plan that she would rest for just a moment, and then let Ryan know she was changed and leaving. She couldn't stay here. And she certainly couldn't stay with Ryan.

In less than a minute, Sophie's eyes had drifted shut on the uncomfortable couch, and she was sleeping. It hadn't been her intention, in fact, sleeping would probably never be her intention ever again. The idea of sleep terrified Sophie nowadays. Yet here she was, lost in a deep slumber caused by immense malnutrition and exhaustion. Laying on her left side, her tattoo and spot on the side of her head were very visible. As were her cheekbones and the dark circles under her eyes. It was truly a good thing that the once beautiful Sophie hadn't looked for a mirror.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 PM

He paced in the other room, looking through the windows with frequency that clearly showed his nervousness, thoughts swirling through his mind. As much as Ryan had planned all of this out to greatest detail, there was sense of emptiness now. The future was unclear and rather threatening, although he tried to grasp at that little spark of thrill. He needed motivation to get through this, but that finding it had been his issue for years now. The man caught himself tracing the scar on his face one more and scoffed audibly. It was getting ridiculous.

Ryan guessed he has had given enough time for the girl to change and decided to check on her, but knocked softly on doors before entering. As there was no reply, he knocked another with a sense of dread sliding cool fingers over back of his neck and then opened doors. The sight of Sophie sleeping surprised him and with sigh of relief, he approached the couch as quietly as he could. The weight of guilt that he had not-so-successfully ignored crashed on albino's shoulders as he took in her weak, marred form.

Although he told himself most of these marks would fade away with time, he knew that not all would and the memories were probably imprinted firmly in the blonde's mind. Ryan recalled the hazel-eyed spitfire that had given him such a hard time little over a week before, certainly a beauty in her own right, just as much as annoying. And he was responsible, fully, for this beautiful young girl's suffering. Maybe if that damned zombie hadn't injured him, all of this could've been avoided, but... There was no use pondering about what ifs, though. Everything was as it was and he had done all in his powers to make it better. But had he?

Suppressing a groan at the frustrating thoughts, he turned to leave. Not the apartment, of course, as he wasn't going to risk that Sophie was captured again, but to take an old blanket from other room's bed. It was from one of those newer smooth, light materials and it had only few holes on it. Ryan could only wonder how scavengers hadn't grabbed it up, but it didn't really matter. He put the blanket over Sophie's sleeping form and retreated to chair by the window, sitting down in it quietly to keep vigil. He would until she woke up, or they were tracked down, and then he'd leave.

Sitting there, he realized she probably didn't even know his name and couldn't decide if it's better that way or he should be civil enough to introduce himself, since he knew her name. Not that they were in really good situation for introductions. Yes, remaining anonymous could have its benefits. No name to assign to his hated face. But knowing himself, Ryan guessed he will end up slipping it up in some jerk-like manner. It was self-defense mechanism that he had developed over many years.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 11-09-2014, 09:44 PM

For a long while, Sophie slept seemingly peacefully, and she was. More so than she had in many, many nights. Perhaps it was knowing that she wasn't in that dreadful place anymore. But the peaceful slumber wouldn't last long. She was convinced that it never would again. And it was his fault; Ryan's.

Her eyes moved rapidly under her lids and she groaned. In Sophie's mind, she was home. Well, the planet she called home anyway. It was a rather large place, though seemingly uninhabited. Sophie and her feline companion Ayashe were exploring through the jungle-like area surrounding their tree. It felt so real, as she drug her fingers through Ayashe's soft white fur. The feline's back came up to, if not past Sophie's hip.

Ayashe had stopped, ears perked and alert. So Sophie stopped, too. Did the tiger-like animal sense something that her human companion could not? Golden flecked hazel eyes looked through thick jungle foliage. Yes, she could hear something, too. But, their planet was uninhabited... Sophie moved forward, pushing large green leaves out of the way as she stepped through to a small clearing.

Overhead, the sky had darkened. Sophie looked up to see smoke billowing high into the sky, causing it to look dark red, brown, grey and black. The forest was suddenly burning. But, how? Sophie turned to Ayashe, but the tiger was suddenly very different. "Ayashe?" the blonde questioned as the large feline stalked closer. Her fur, it was dirty, and messed, and had dried blood throughout it. There were entire pieces missing, where bone shone through. Her eyes were wild, foggy, and part of her jaw was missing. She'd become some kind of zombie.

Sophie shook her head, even laying on the couch she rolled onto her back and her head moved back and forth, once, then twice. "No," she mumbled in her sleep, before falling still and silent again. In her nightmare, Ayashe stalked closer still. Tears filled Sophie's eyes. Not her only friend, not Ayashe. A low growl, something feral and twisted, rolled from Ayashe's mouth. Run, Sophie told herself. And she did. Sophie turned and she ran.

The forest burned around her. It heated her skin and dried her tears as they fell. How had this happened? Glancing over her shoulder, Sophie could see that Ayashe was close on her heels. Faster, she told herself, but her legs were so heavy. It was like running across a beach, her feet felt like they were sinking with each step she took and her legs burned. She choked on sobs and smoke. Ash fell on her face, mixing with her tears and streaking down her cheeks.

She was coming out of the fire now. It was fading somehow, and as she pushed through a cluster of large tropical leaves, someone grabbed her. She screamed out, and struggled. It was another zombie! It was Ryan as a zombie. She struggled and screamed, but his voice cut through her panic, "Sophie," he said, causing her to stop and look at him. He wasn't a zombie anymore. The fire was gone, the whole forest was gone, Ayashe was gone.

"Where-," she'd tried to ask. "We're here," Ryan said. Sophie turned to see a building. She'd not seen the outside of the one she'd lived in for that short time, but this was it, there was no doubt about it. The feeling in her gut told her that much. "No," she said again, speaking aloud in her sleep again. But nightmare Ryan was already steering her through the doors. "No!" she said again in her sleep, louder this time. "Don't!" she begged. "Don't take me back," she pleaded in her sleep, though they were more mumbles from the real world.

Lab coats emerged from shadows all around. The faces were strangely blurred memories. They grabbed at Sophie. "No! Please! Let go!" she said in her sleep. Tears streamed from the corners of her eyes into her hair. They pulled at her and held her down and she screamed for help in her nightmare, but her voice wouldn't come again. That's how it was in her nightmares. Running was impossible, screaming was no use...

There on the couch, Sophie seemed to struggle with invisible people. "No," she'd keep saying, "Let me go!" Tears fell generously. She was reaching for the white haired wonder as he exited the building. "Don't leave me here," she begged out loud.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM

As time passed, Ryan felt tiredness creep up on him. The adrenaline left his veins, leaving sense of sluggish heaviness instead. He had overused his powers, especially the reflector shield, but without it, he'd probably be missing his head not just a chunk of his leg. And as much as he just wanted to rest his head against the chair and close his eyes, let the silence lull him into sleep, the man knew he could afford no such thing. His and Sophie's safety depended on staying awake.

So instead he stared out the window and at the wall, thoughts slowly flowing through his mind. He'd soon be leaving this place, this world, behind and probably never return to it. What exactly was he leaving? Soft kiss on forehead and ruffled hair, toy car crashed against the wall, heavy blow for standing up for someone he cared for, eyes that looked right through him... So many eyes that looked through him, eyes that later saw him as prey or tool. He'd never see his sisters or brother again. Not that he had seen them in years. His older sister had pulled out of the hell hole that was their family, successfully married and never looked back. Ryan didn't blame her - it was hard enough to get out of the pits alone, but pulling another person along made it impossible. But to say that it hadn't stung he couldn't.

So he had tried to be a better person, better brother. At least now, before leaving which probably was hypocritical. Perhaps at least the boy would take the chance when given one and Ryan could only hope his half-sister wasn't beyond saving yet... At this point, he was pulled out of his reverie by Sophie's soft sobs and mumbling. The man tried to ignore it for a while, focusing his attention on the wall in front of him, but his thoughts returned again to the blonde and all that could cause her to see nightmares. And when she actually started to cry in her sleep, it got too much for him to bear. Hurriedly, he stood up and walked over to the couch, nudging her shoulder slightly.

"Hey," he said and when the nudging and quiet talking didn't have any effect, he grasped her shoulder firmly and shook the girl as gently as he could. "Hey, wake up, it's just a dream," Ryan told her and winced at her outcry. "You're not there," he assured her, continuing to shake her. When she finally managed to pull out of sleep, he quickly pulled hand back, retreating slightly, but repeated what he had said before about it just being a dream and Sophie not being 'there'. After hovering for a moment, the man moved over to his bag and dug into it, pulling out bottle of water, few tissues and chocolate that he all handed over to her without saying anything and again took refuge in his chair, looking outside the window. It wasn't visible in his face, but he felt incredibly awkward about all of this.

Hopefully she wouldn't start to question him as of why he had chocolate or some other nonsense. It wasn't like he had bought it due to sweet tooth or anything, but there was only so much simple rations he could take and chocolate could provide some energy boost at times of need. Right now, it'd be easy for Sophie to consume, too, not putting extra strain on her stomach that wasn't used to solid foods much. Or so he guessed, by the marks on her arms and the fact he doubted anyone spoon fed her back in her room.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 11-21-2014, 05:12 PM

In that awful state in between nightmare land and reality, while Sophie was being woken up and the fine line was certainly blurred; she sat up quickly. Ryan had already retreated and while Sophie stared at him, blinking away the confusion, she was piecing together that all of that had only been a terrible nightmare. He wasn't a zombie, they weren't at that awful place, and... she wiped at her face. Shit, she'd actually cried for real. She wiped her face dry quickly, while Ryan was digging through his backpack. Maybe he hadn't noticed.

She took the things he handed to her cautiously, without a word. Then she placed them on the couch beside her. Even though eating, and drinking was something she probably desperately needed to do, she just couldn't. She was all messed up, in her head, and she just... didn't feel like eating, or talking, or sleeping, or anything. Her eyes had taken on some of that warm hazel color again, finally, and they fell on Ryan with a frown. What was he looking at? Suddenly, Sophie became very self conscious, not something natural for the girl in the least.

Probably she looked awful. She was a train wreck, and he couldn't look away. And it was his damn fault. "I have to get out of here," she breathed suddenly, standing from the couch. The blanket fell, and for the first time she realized that Ryan must have covered her. She frowned again. The damn white haired wonder! He didn't make any sense at all! It didn't matter. She wasn't going to hang around here and get stared at like some freak, waiting to be used as some sort of pawn again.

It was obvious that the girl was suddenly angry again. Quite moody, it would seem. But who could blame her? She grabbed her bag, yanking the sandals that strapped up her calves from it and dropping them on the floor. Then she grabbed the deep red cloak from the bag and pulled it over her head. At least it would hide the bruises and holes and the damned tattoo, and her thinned figure. She even pulled the hood over her hair, and it partially covered her face. She pulled her bag over her head so that it hung over one shoulder across her body.

She was so angry, that she didn't even stop to put her shoes on, instead, just plucking them off the floor, she clutched the straps in one hand. Finally she turned an angry glare to Ryan. Her hazel eyes were back to their normal color, though they were almost hidden in the hood of the cloak. "I don't, I don't even know," she stuttered in her anger, "If I should be... thanking you, or cursing you." She shook her head.

Her voice shook slightly, perhaps not something noticeable, something out of the anger, excitement, and partial weakness. She thought on that. There was no way she could open a portal yet, not in this state. But she couldn't force herself to hang around Ryan for another minute! She crossed the room to the door, reaching for the handle before pausing and spinning around to face Ryan again. "You... you're! You don't make any sense!"

"One minute, you're a kidnapper, and the next! Well, you... you're still a kidnapper! Why did you come back for me? Just couldn't shake the high of kidnapping? You're disgusting. Despicable! How do you sleep at night!?" Her voice had gone from low, shaking in anger, to a louder, angry sort of shouting. "Covering me up with a, stupid, blanket! Offering water, and, and what? What are you doing? Standing guard?" she'd added mockingly.

Tears stung at Sophie's eyes again. Was she even making any sense? If Ryan tried to approach her for any reason, maybe to try and calm her or try to quiet her as to not draw attention, Sophie would shove at him, perhaps try and slap him, and more than likely, continue doing those things so long as he'd let her. She hated him. She'd tell him that. Yeah. That's what she'd do. "I hate you!" she shouted. "I hate you! I hate you!" she sobbed, her words growing quieter.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 11-22-2014, 08:18 PM

He looked at her, taking in her appearance carefully. Maybe she needed medical help? There was little chance he could find someone to help her in this world, but maybe the next. She did look rather awful and put his small offering aside. Would she get sick and start throwing up in corner or something? Then her expression changed from helplessness edging on despair to anger. Mentally, Ryan sighed and braced himself. He would weather this, get them out of here and then they would never have to see each other again.

But as the girl got up, dressed herself and began cussing at him, he found his patience running thinner and thinner. For God's sake, he was damn tired, after risking his life for her. More than f***ing once. Ryan's jaw clenched, his hands clutching the armrest of his chair tightly and it wasn't until crack of old wood under his left hand's grip that he realized how much force he was putting into his hold. He let it go immediately, eyes focusing on few wooden shreds falling to floor, his mind playing over all those times he gripped the blonde tightly. Had he ever held Sophie with such force? But more importantly, what he wouldn't give for her to stop shouting!

Suddenly, Ryan stood up and stepped closer to the girl, eyes intense and chin jutted out. His tone was low, with dangerous edge to it, anger simmering very close to the surface. "Listen up! You can hate me all you want, won't be the first and won't be the last person to do so, but right now, I am the only thing standing between you and getting back in that goddamn place! If you can pop over to another dimension, fine, go ahead, but until then, yes, I am standing guard so all the effort I put in this isn't wasted! Of course, you're also bloody welcome to continue shouting and attract everyone's attention so they get on our trail sooner!"

As if on cue, he heard vehicles turning around corner and practically jumping to window, his fear was confirmed. "F***ing hell," he cursed, not even trying to filter out his speech. Albino man grabbed water bottle and bar of chocolate, throwing it in backpack while he hurriedly spoke to her: "You can choose now: to stay here and return in the lab, take your chances and flee on your own or come with despicable me until I find a spot I can take us away from this world. Don't worry, I will go on my merry way from there, I have better things than listen to your insults." Ryan was now standing in front of her. "So, which is it?"

If Sophie said or showed she'd be going with him, he glanced out of the window again, relieved that it seemed the search party didn't quite know which house they were in, but it wouldn't take them long for sure. And maybe they'd just go for blowing him up from distance, like he was pretty sure they could. Then, he rushed out of apartment, dragging Sophie along and out on fire escape, down it and down an alley way, glancing at his bracelet what seemed every few seconds. It wouldn't be far, thankfully, and so he ran as fast as he could, with his injured leg and most uncomfortable baggage there could be.

Last edited by sadrain; 11-22-2014 at 08:22 PM..

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 03-18-2015, 07:48 PM

Sophie only frowned harder, hazel eyes barely visible under the hook of the deep red cloak. She opened her mouth to curse at him again, pointing a finger that was also almost covered by the sleeves of her cloak, when she heard the cars, too. Ryan's words only confirmed that the noises were something to worry over.

Her vicious look of anger had disappeared completely, replaced by one of somewhat shock, and possibly fear. She blinked almost owlishly as Ryan began throwing things in his backpack before returning to her with his ultimatum. Her choices were shitty. All three of them. Of course she couldn't open a portal in this shape. There was a chance she might be able to escape on her own, but again, in this shape...

She mentally groaned, and began to slip her strappy sandals on. Just as she finished, Ryan grabbed onto her and started dragging her out of the apartment. She couldn't muster the extra energy to frown again. But damn it, what if she'd wanted to go off on her own? She hadn't, but he didn't know that! Assuming he knew her like that. And dragging her around, again.

Really, once Sophie cooled off and had some real time to think, she'd probably be able to appreciate what Ryan had done. Probably. As they descended the fire escape, Sophie really realized for the first time that Ryan was injured, perhaps quite seriously. As they ran down the alley, Sophie summoned all the energy she could to search for a dimensional weak-spot. It wasn't far. Was Ryan seeing it on that dumb bracelet, too? Could they make it there in time?

Sophie heard a strange noise and turned her head in time to see two men round a corner of an attached alley behind them. "There!" Sophie called to Ryan, "They're behind us!" Her voice was laced with urgency and fear. She wouldn't go back to that place, she couldn't. She was breathing heavily already, having a hard time physically exerting herself after all she'd been through. She imagined that Ryan might be, too. Her heart rate spiked. Would they make it? Would Ryan's bracelet work? Sophie was already prepared to call upon every last ounce of strength she could to get them out of here. Even if it cost her her life. She'd rather die than go back to that hell.

They turned corners and crossed the slum streets until up ahead Sophie could sense the weak spot. As they slowed to a stop with the men not too far behind, Sophie stared up into the spot where they would travel through dimensions. Ryan wouldn't be able to see it, not without activating that stupid trinket. But Sophie could. It would take all of her strength to tear the hole, not something that was usually a challenge to the blonde.

She was breathing hard still. "Ryan," she breathed his name for the first time, weakly, not taking her eyes from the spot. "I'll open the portal," she said, not bothering to ask him if his bracelet would even work. There was somewhere she wanted to go. She closed her eyes and concentrated, calling upon all that she had left. Just before the portal opened, Sophie grabbed Ryan's hand.

As the weak spot tore open to reveal a place that no other person had seen before, Sophie opened her eyes. What Ryan could see of the land was beautiful, an undiscovered paradise. Lush green trees and vibrantly colored plants and flowers of a kind never seen before. A sky of no other color, perhaps a color never seen by Ryan's eyes before at all, where stars twinkled even through the daylight. Beautiful rivers and small bodies of water near an endless ocean, and a large tree at the edge of a tall cliff. "My... home...," Sophie said weakly.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 03-22-2015, 02:43 PM

He really had planned to just go on his (not so) merry way if she didn't show in some way she wanted to go with him, but it didn't look like she had any clear idea where she'd go and what to do on her own, so Ryan just... Grabbed and dragged her again, mentally cursing. This girl was going to be the end of him! And possibly, very soon.

On the fire escape, his injured leg gave out and he nearly tumbled down the rest of the way, grabbing onto the rails in last moment and banging his leg against them nastily. By now, Sophie was nearly faster than him, one of the deep gashes starting to bleed again from when he crashed into railing. But it wasn't first time when he had to put physical pain aside to get out of tight spot and Ryan managed to speed up again. He, too, heard the noise and didn't even have to look back to know the men were on their heels. At her urgent, fearful announcement the man huffed. "Gee, how hadn't I noticed," he murmured in sarcastic tone, only fueled by his pain and exhaustion.

It took the corporate thugs only few moments more to open fire and Ryan had to focus every bit of energy left to shield them. As Sophie slowed, saying she was going to open the portal, he pushed her behind him so even if his reflective field failed, she wouldn't get shot. However, what he couldn't predict or protect himself from was the sudden stab from right. The man grunted and instinctively swung to that side, his fist colliding with the invisible jaw of the attacker. The blade was now dripping with blood, making it visible and letting Ryan grab the opponent's wrist and twist it painfully, landing another punch in his or her face. He guessed it was man, by posture and height, but who the hell could know for sure.

The shield faltered and one of the bullets whistled right by Ryan's ear, so he kicked the invisible opponent away and focused his energy back into their protective 'shell', turning to look at the blonde. "How much long--" he began to ask, right as the reality was willed apart by Sophie, revealing a whole different world. She spoke something about her home, but by God, why wasn't she walking, tumbling at least, through the portal already?

"No time to get sentimental, kid! Go!" he hissed, pushing her through the rift first and then following much less gracefully. He landed half stretched on the ground and with groan, turned to sit up, red already on grass from his wound. As Sophie's energy wavered, the portal closed. The invisible thug tried to follow, but was too slow and all that reached the lush land was his arm before the door between worlds shut. Severed from its body, it became visible and hit the ground with nasty thud, the cut clean. "Holy s**t," Ryan spoke, staring at the limb. "Note to self, never hesitate going through those things."

Wincing, the man got up, pressing one hand to his wound in side, in rather hopeless attempt to stop the bleeding. He pried the knife from the detached limb and tucked behind his belt as if it was the most casual thing to do. A glance at his bracelet made him groan quietly - it had to be quite the walk until next weak spot that he could use to get away from this land. Looking about, he had to admit that this had to be the most beautiful place he had ever seen in person. Few internet pages and books he had read while recovering showed such gorgeous sights on Earth, but he hadn't ever had the chance to see them in person. This wouldn't be a bad place to die, really.

But hell, he wasn't going to just give up on living now. The stab wound needed some stitches, sure, but he'd take care of it soon enough. "So, I guess this is it," he turned to look at Sophie and then something occurred to him. Flinging bag off his shoulder, he looped it awkwardly on one of his arms and tried to dig through it with same one for a moment, then gave up and properly took out the orb, either handing or tossing it to the girl (depending in what state she seemed to be in). "Here. Don't need the extra weight." He also fetched a bit of bandage to press against his wound and prepared to walk off. Thanks weren't really expected from Sophie and since this was her home, she'd know what to do and where to go from here.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 AM

It was lucky that Ryan gave Sophie a push through the portal. A sweat was beading on her forehead at the overexertion to open and hold the portal to a particular place, and she couldn't find it in her to pick up her feet. But it did also cause her to lose the portal rather quickly, and the proof in that was the severed arm that lay just behind them.

She'd have laughed at Ryan's shock or scoffed at the very least, but instead she sat on her knees and feet trying to catch her breath. She kept reminding herself that she was home now, that everything would be okay... she was home. She only barely took notice of the theft of weapon from the severed arm, and couldn't muster the appalled reaction she'd have liked to.

When Ryan spoke, bringing them out of the silence, Sophie looked up at him from under the hood of the deep red cloak. He was leaving then? She wanted to say something, but she wasn't sure what. She was still on the fence about being thankful or angry, and he wasn't much of a talker himself. Hazel eyes blinked almost owlishly when he stopped and began to dig through his pack.

As he approached her, sitting there on the ground, she noticed his badly bleeding wound for the first time. His leg didn't seem to be in too good of shape either, and she almost didn't even recognize the orb he'd put into her hands until she pulled her eyes away from the wounds long enough to look at it. Her shiny thing! For a moment, she felt elated. But instantly afterwards, she felt resentment. This shiny thing caused her a hell of a lot of trouble.

She dropped it into her bag. Not like a little bit of trouble would cause her to discard something so pretty though. When she looked back to Ryan, he was already walking away. "Hey wait," she said, sounding weaker than she'd have liked. She pushed herself to her feet. What was it she wanted to say? Thanks for the shiny thing? Thanks for saving her? Or maybe, good riddance, or take a short walk off a tall cliff. They needed each other, so Sophie thought. Didn't they? No, of course they didn't. But he needed help didn't he? Maybe she should just let him go, and endure the punishment of the karma he deserved.

Sophie sighed. Was she really going to say all those things? She reached for his arm, as if to allow him to put some weight on her. "Let me help you," she said gently, and surprisingly enough. "I have some things that will make your wounds better," she breathed, still clearly weak herself. The pair of them needed a good sleep and a good meal. Sophie could provide those things, so long as Ryan wanted them.

Last edited by p o p p e t ♥; 03-26-2015 at 05:06 AM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 06-08-2015, 07:18 PM

Ugh, she had been staring at him like he had grown another head. Or like he was very possibly bleeding to death. Which was probably not that far from the truth. However it may be, her stare made him uneasy, just like the finally gotten silence. Now he'd really like her to say something and at the same time, it was so much better if there were no more curse words from her to haunt his dreams. Because this scene - a pale girl with matted, blonde hair and eyes that had lost most of their life, with scars and wounds across her body that even though he couldn't see he knew he had caused in a way, on her knees in the lush, green grass that contrasted with her blood red cloak so much - it was definitely going to be preserved in his memory forever as something surreal, nightmare-dream vision type of thing to never leave him truly alone.

Applying pressure to the wound and simply focusing on each step he took, trying not to think of Sophie or how far he would have to walk, Ryan didn't get further than few paces before she did speak up. And against his better judgement, he stopped, glancing over his shoulder with a frown, clear 'what??' written on his face, although the man said nothing. But at her next words, his eyes widened, betraying his surprise, before albino's expression closed up again. "I don't need help from anyone," he said, words firm and casual, like he had said them hundred times before. And he had, he had chanted them to himself, audibly and only in thought, each time his stepfathers had beaten him, or he had had a bad day on the street, always, really. And the one time he betrayed this principle was when he went to Zofies and look where it had gotten him...

But before turning around and walking around, like he very much intended to do, he gave Sophie once over, and even if she was angry or upset at his response, something, something in the fact that she had outstretched her hand to him, made a dent in his decision. With frustrated sigh, the man turned around to fully face her, shifting so he held the bandage to his wound with left hand. "Fine, fine... I will help you get to your home or whatever, can't have you pass out here somewhere and get eaten by some paradise bird, have all my work wasted," he grumbled, putting an arm around her shoulder, supporting her as much as he leaned on her.

Of course, it was quite the scumbag response to her kind offer to help, but he was unable to accept it differently, and so, unless Sophie protested now, they slowly proceeded towards the direction of her shelter. Ryan didn't speak much if at all after this, the walk, especially if longer, taking visible toll on his strength and energy. Still, the man tried his best to keep upright and not put much weight on Sophie even when he was unable to actually support her much anymore. Few times, he twisted his leg nastily on rock hidden in the grass and mumbled a curse or two, but that couldn't exactly be called talking.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 PM

The pale golden haired girl frowned slightly at his words. She'd have told him she didn't need his help, since they both seemed to be stubborn like that, that she was only offering to help him, but then her frown faded. Sophie remained silent, in her own way of accepting that this was him accepting her help as much as she accepted his.

The walk wouldn't take too terribly long, not since Sophie envisioned her home when she opened the portal, not just the planet. But she remained quiet, thinking or weak, or both. Each time Ryan would curse or grumble, Sophie would slow enough to make sure he was okay, not that they'd been traveling at super speed anyway.

Finally they came through the thick plants and flowers to a place without tree coverage. Directly ahead some few hundred yards up an incline, was a tree. It was huge, the largest they'd come across here so far, with a wide trunk and massive amounts of beautiful vibrant green covering. The tree sat at the edge of a tall cliff that overlooked an ocean. Built in and around the branches of the massive tree, was a tree house.

Sophie hadn't built the place herself. Well, she'd definitely made repairs and fixed it up, but the structure had been there for some time before Sophie had come along, abandoned for what looked like years. "We're almost there," she said with a nod towards the tree, and continued forward back into the thick vegetation that covered much of the planet.

When they finally reached the tree house, Ryan would see that there was a stairway built all the way up and around it's trunk. "Don't worry," she said, "There's an elevator. Wait here." Sophie moved up the wooden steps around the tree, though slowly. When she reached a platform almost over where they'd been standing, she called over it; "Over there," she shouted, pointing at the wooden make-shift "elevator" that could hardly be called an elevator at all.

The bottom of the contraption was made of branches tied together and reinforced with some kind of thick leaves. There weren't any sides, just four tall round pieces of what must have been more branches, jutting up from each corner to attach a roof that matched the floor. "It's totally safe!" Sophie shouted, "I promise!" She waved her hands as if to hurry him into the contraption, and when he was finally situated onto it, she used her pulley system, with the help of "anchors" tied every so many feet to help her pull him up to meet the platform.

The ride was probably a little shaky, swinging slightly, and there might have been a time or two Sophie almost lost too much slack, but finally he made it. Sophie's hood had fallen off by then and she was breathing heavily but she gave a big cheesy grin. "See? Totally safe." In reality, Sophie had never used the thing to transport much more than foods or other slightly large things she'd found in various places, and had no idea that it would actually work or support Ryan's weight.

Sophie released the rope and turned around to the open inside of the main floor of the tree house. "Welcome to my, home," she said with a little hesitation. It was the closest thing she could call to home after all, and it was slightly impressive for a tree house. Obviously something Sophie probably didn't build on her own, but originally built by perhaps, a lost civilization of Tarzans, or something. That's what Sophie always imagined anyway.

Still though, it was slightly stone aged. There wasn't any electricity or running water, of course, but it was homey and welcoming and even relaxing, none the less. There were many open places, where walls just didn't exist, but Sophie had make-shift curtains pulled to the sides of various types of fabric she must have gotten from many different worlds. There were plush rugs and areas of pillows and cushions in various places that had pieces of sheer fabrics almost like curtains around them as if individual places to relax or nap or read, or whatever Sophie did up here by herself.

There was a hammock that attached from the tree in the center to a thick and sturdy branch nearby it. Trinkets, baubles, chimes and other various contraptions and nicknacks hung from the ceiling made of what appeared to be much like the floor and ceiling of the "elevator". Mirrors and arts and other various things lined the walls. There were a couple of short tables lined with sitting cushions and a taller wooden table with wooden chairs as well as various other small bedside style cabinets and dressers in various places with jars and boxes of who-knows-what lining them as well as jewelries, shiny coins and other expensive looking treasures.

Up a small set of wooden stairs off to right that curved up to another level, not directly above the one they were one, was a slightly smaller area with a comfortable bed made of who-knows-what, where Sophie slept. The bed was quite large and the room was very open, with sheer curtains covering the sides and open holes for windows. More trinkets and baubles would be found hanging from the ceiling and decorating the walls of that room, as well as another comfortable cushioned area in one corner and dressers along one side.

To the left of the floor they were on was a flimsy wooden bridge that lead to another large branch where Sophie liked to sit and watch the ocean and the stars. It was a place where she could let her legs kick and there was a clear enough space around for her to have a wonderful view. There was also a long rope hanging from the branch that could be used as quick access to the ground.

Near one of the piles of blankets and pillows, was a trapdoor. It was sitting open, as Sophie had no one to hide things from here. A short ladder led to a large floor sized branch on the tree, that led to a large nook where Sophie kept most of her treasures that she wasn't actively decorating with or fondling. The room couldn't be accessed from anywhere but the trapdoor.

As Sophie welcomed Ryan to her 'home', she exhaled, not realizing she must have been holding her breath. There had never been anyone else here with her before, ever. She removed her bag from over her shoulder and set it against some pillows. "Oh," she said suddenly, realizing that at this time of day, seeing would be getting hard to do inside her house. She stepped forward to a table and touched a stone that sat perched atop a sort of staff, held to it with some sort of gold wiring.

When she did, it began to glow, and then one from the ceiling began to glow, and another, and one from another table and one hanging in the doorway, until suddenly the entire place was comfortably lit with various colors of lighting here and there by these 50+ stones. "Isn't it amazing how they do that?" she asked, though not particularly to Ryan.

Finally she turned to him. "Sit," she said, gesturing to a plush area against one of the bits of wall. And then she was moving around the tree house gathering things, opening bottles and jars and cabinets... When she returned, she had a stone bowl with a masher, various ingredients inside including substances of what she would simply refer to as "magic", some rags, some water and a little basket of foods native to the area, plus a couple of things brought back from her home world that were pretty much non perishable.

"This was all that was still good," she said referring to the native fruits. But if Ryan looked he would probably be happy to find a bottle of water, a bag of Cheetos, and bag of almonds among the fruit. Sophie sat across from Ryan and began mashing ingredients into the bowl. "You're going to have to take that," she motioned to his clothes, "off." She didn't mean she needed him to get nude by any means, but she needed the entire wounded areas free to clean and apply her magics. She glanced up at his face. Then would he leave?

She wondered if his dumb bracelet was working. She didn't dwell on anything for now, she was far too hungry and tired and there was just SO much to dwell over. For a moment, and for the hundredth time since they'd arrived here, Sophie glanced around as if looking for something. She'd been doing it since they'd exited the portal, and from time to time, she'd glance at the stairs, as if waiting for someone to arrive. Was it nerves? Who would know with Sophie.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 PM

"Wonderful, your secret identity turns out to be a squirrel," Ryan commented dryly, when it was revealed that the girl lived in a tree house. As beautiful as the place was, he remained skeptical of its safety. And how the bloody hell they were supposed to get up there? Maybe her powers included blinking up high places, too? He for sure couldn't climb up a tree, or even some shaky stairs, right now. Well, he could push himself for the last, but he'd rather pass out at the bottom of tree then, to be honest.

Thankfully, there was also an elevator built in the whole thing. Although the man was not fooled and didn't even think it was meant to transport people. At least he wasn't some heavy weight wrestler or something. But each time the contraption swayed or stalled, his heart sunk a little lower. Or maybe it was his stomach. Ugh, heck, who cares. Either way, he tried to hold onto the corner branch without having it look like he was holding on for his dear life.

As he entered the house and was welcomed, Ryan nodded awkwardly. He didn't look too impressed, but to be absolutely honest... He was in awe and jealous. It might not be much, not a five start hotel or anything, but he had never been in one anyway and this was home, something he hadn't had since he was... What, 4 or 5? And goddamit, he felt out of place and like an intruder here. And wasn't he?

"It's, ah, nice," he commented, the sense of awkwardness was so thick you could practically cut it with knife, although he kept his face straight and only nervously tugged his earring once or twice, although the action made him wince in pain slightly due to the pain in his side. As instructed, he moved to the plush area and settled down, putting his bag by his side. He began retrieving various things from the bag and lining them up.

When Sophie returned and sat down across of him, he frowned at the girl. "Just eat something and go to sleep. I will fix myself up and be gone before you wake up tomorrow. Just need some place to crash for few hours is all." For a moment, the two had a staring contest which Ryan promptly lost when he sighed and closed his eyes, rubbing forehead with his left hand. "Fine, fine."

Taking out knife (which still had some of his own blood on it), he cut off what remained of his pant's leg on the injured leg, muttering something about it being 'ruined anyway', so all of the deep gashes and smaller cuts could be easily accessed. Pulling off his hoodie and t-shirt, he dropped them down on his left. His upper body could be described in few words: scars and muscles. Although he had been slowly regaining some weight that'd be fit for man of his age, muscles and bones was what made up nearly all of his mass still. And the scars - there were some on his arms, across chest, down his left ribs and another in his abdomen, in various phases of fading. If she was to see his back, it'd be littered in marks as if left by beating with something, but those looked very old. The most prominent of all, though, was what seemed to be mark from large bullet hole, going straight into his left upper arm. It couldn't be much older than a year, probably newer.

The wound in his side looked bad, but he knew no vital organ had been hit, so, it would heal well, hopefully, and he'd be all fine, especially if given chance to recover from blood loss. The leg looked worse, the bandage all bloody and once they were removed, they revealed a wound beneath jagged from the ferocious claws creating it. His face and arms also had many tiny cuts from the ice crystals, but he didn't care about those or multiple bruises forming on his body from fights and where his own force field kind of 'crashed' back into him under the force of attack thrown at it. "Are Cheetos also magical in your land or that's what you live off, kid?" he questioned, trying to do something about the awkwardness. He was not ashamed of his scarred and battered body, but it still felt weird to be half dressed and quite vulnerable here in front of her. Besides, she was still obviously and absolutely understandably wound up and nervous (maybe would be for years), so, he had to say something, didn't he?

Well, technically he didn't, but... Anyhow, he helped Sophie apply the medicine to his wounds and, if needed, stitched up any of his wounds, mostly in silence aside from few grunts, although he seemed to go even paler through the procedure than he was naturally and that's saying something. After, he simply wanted to crash and sleep, hopefully he'd wake up before her and have a chance to get lost, as he had promised her.

Last edited by sadrain; 06-10-2015 at 08:15 PM..

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM

She finished mashing all the ingredients together as the stubborn man began to cut his pant leg off. Sophie wasn't above holding him down and pouring the substance on him, but she was glad she didn't have to. Neither one of them had the strength or energy for it. She set the bowl down and dunked the rags in the water to wet them. Warm water would have been preferable, but room temperature would have to do.

When Ryan took his shirts off, Sophie looked back down at the rags, wringing them out. No one wanted to be stared at while they were undressing. But when she looked back up with rags in hand, she stopped short of moving any further. Grayed eyes saw scars, more scars than Sophie could ever wish not to have. For a moment, she felt bad. What could he have gone through to cause him so much physical pain and marring?

Kidnappings, a voice in her head reminded her. Oh, right. She frowned lightly and tilted her head to the side as if nodding to someone. He did come back for you, she reminded herself. Right, so he was split personality. One moment he was the villain and the next he was the hero. Why couldn't he tone his crazy down just a little? Maybe one of his personalities could just be like, a thief, and the other one could work at a homeless shelter. He really went all out on both of his personalities.

Sophie handed him one rag to clean the areas around his wounds and used the other to do the same. She was gentle-ish. And when it came time to apply the mixture she'd made, she didn't explain it. For the larger wounds, she applied it directly to the bandages and then to the wounds. As they worked together, Sophie responded with the same dry humor Ryan seemed to be so keen on. "Cheetos are a squirrel's favorite food, didn't you know?"

As they came to the last major wound, Sophie moved into Ryan's personal space as she reached around him with the wrap. She pulled it tightly to help stop the bleeding and then wrapped her arms around him again, continuing the process a few times until the wound was covered and the wrap was secure.

Finally she sat back and looked into the bowl. The substance was gone completely. If Ryan looked, before he fell asleep that night, he would see that some of the smaller wounds were already on the mend. It was truly a magical mixture. She grabbed a piece of the fruit, something like a peach colored apple with an orange center, and leaned against a cushion. "So how'd you get all those rad scars?" she asked with slight sarcasm before taking a bite of the fruit. She pushed the basket at him again. Surely he'd be smart enough to eat and drink, what with all that blood loss.