Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Karen and Matt can sing pretty good, hehe! Couldn't hear Arthur very well, though!

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 PM

No, he was kind of hidden behind the piano, guess he was busy playing. But yeah, they're not bad, and I love how they're not shy to be bad as well.. like Karen's high notes in the beginning. xD

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 PM

Glasgow Doctor Who fan turns her city house into a tardis - The Daily Record
Pfft, nobody told me about this apparently famous house. Now I have to wander around the West End looking for it.

Chrimbo special ramble timeX

Madge was great but I'd have preferred if Bill Bailey's character and his crew had bigger roles. The acid rain never felt like that much of a threat.

The Doctor himself was amazing, running the full spectrum from manic and childlike to old and sad. Him getting humany-wumany at the end was adorable.

I can see why they went for the happy ending but my treacherous brain wanted to know whether Reg would get sent back to the war or whether he was considered to be dead/missing and could hide out in the big house. Or what happened to the rest of his crew. Then Ponds happened and I stopped thinking.

I think you can hear Karen's singing voice quite distinctly in some parts of the "Consider yourself..." BBC Christmas advert. XD

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2011, 10:18 PM

That's a great idea! I always pause when I see front doors painted in that same blue, thinking it only needs windows and a sign...

In response to Kat's spoilersX

I agree with Bailey and the crew, and there was never a huge threat really. And yes, the Doctor seemed to be running around on the emotion scale even more than usual. I think his going absolutely full-on crazy with the decorations in the house and the present and everything was more due to his being on his own again than Madge and her children losing Reg.

And well, Reg did jump a few days didn't he? He "died" on.. the 20th? And came back to the house with the rest on Christmas Day, so he would have been completely off the chart for a few days there, so I'd assume they thought he was dead. Madge had already gotten her notice from the army about his death. Though I did wonder about the rest of his crew too. But yes, Ponds, awesome wooly jumpers, humany-wumany! (For some reason some people had a really long argument about what to call Amy's jumper, as Americans would say it was a sweater and apparently use jumper for a summer dress. I don't get how it even matters...)

Oh and did anyone else notice that there were quite a few Nine references in the episode? I didn't until I saw this post*(no real spoilers, especially if you've seen the trailer), though all those scenes did make my brain go "wait isn't this a bit familiar?" Didn't realise straight away that it was all from Nine episodes though (and I didn't hear the Cheem reference properly).

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 12-26-2011, 10:36 PM

Yeah, even though we speak the same language, it sometimes doesn't seem like it! It's not a good idea to call cigarettes "fags" here, unless you want to get strange looks...

ljosberinn

Old 12-26-2011, 10:46 PM

Yeah.. same as you don't call trousers "pants" here, or people will think you're talking about underwear. They simply evolved from the same source but on different continents, so of course there will be differences, even if you happen to use the same words. I just don't get why people would actually argue about it, going "oh no, you have it so wrong, this is what it should be called".. there's no right or wrong here. :/ (And yes, I speak and prefer British English, but you will never hear me say it's "the correct way" because it is "the original one" or some such bullshit. Ugh.)

Lost in Austen
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 AM

Our chips are more "chip-like" but your football is more foot-related. :XD

Here's a page that lists the differences between British and American English, if anyone's interested. Dialects are so amusing!! http://esl.about.com/library/vocabulary/blbritam.htm

Last edited by Lost in Austen; 12-27-2011 at 01:15 AM..

ljosberinn

Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 AM

Happy new year, doctor fans and fanatics! ^____^ Hope the new year will be even better than the last for all of you!

I realised today that as I am going to be applying for an MA course for next year, in just over two years time I could bear the title 'Master'.. :O My friend was once determined to get a Master's degree because his wife had a Doctor's degree, just so that they could be Master and Doctor...