LiliumScifi
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM

I want to know about the books you may have not even finished, books that you wished you didn't waste your time on!

For me I hated Queen of the Damned. Hated the movie too. . .

I have tried 2 times to read through the book and I just can't do it! >_< I can't even explain completely what about it bugs me so much. Maybe it's the way certain characters talk, or maybe I found the events to be very boring.

Rooh
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM

For me there's only been one series I ever truly hated. I read the Dragonlance series and it was really, really good. So I wanted to read all of the rest of the Dragonlance spin-offs... well, then I got to the "War of the Souls" trilogy. I couldn't believe how uninteresting and horribly confusing and down right stupid a story could be. Constantly I wanted to put the book down, but I kept thinking "maybe it'll get better..." simply because the other books were so good.

But I was wrong. I finished the series and am sorry I did. What a total waste of time.

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 PM

A lot of the 'classics' were just a bore to me. I know people who swear by Fitzgerald, Emily Dickens, Chas.Hemingway... just couldn't do it. It was like choking on sawdust. :P

alexandrakitty
Queenish silliosity

Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Catcher in the Rye and Mill on the Floss. At least I didn't have to finish CITR, but MOTF was required reading for first year English -- I didn't care for that book one little bit. I think I tore it to shreds in my essay...

Q U E E N
spooky scary skeletons
Send a message via AIM to Q U E E N

Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 AM

Any books that involve dragons. I just can't read books with dragons...and the books that everyone loves but aren't really so good. And Classics bore me...

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 AM

Nina of the Dark. It's terrible, I won't say any more than this... Two hundred pages of "let's go on a quest and defeat the evil goldfaced king!" then a hundred pages of "Maybe he wasn't so bad after all" Ten pages of "Ohmigod he's not my father he's my mother!" Finally (after a break that says twelve years later) they go and find some friend that they left behind at the "maybe he's not so bad" stage. this takes ten pages. I'm still not sure what the point of the story was.

LiliumScifi
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 AM

Ahahahah Carz that sounds funny XD I have seen movies like that.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 AM

It was really annoying, I kept waiting for something exciting to happen.

LiliumScifi
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 AM

Hahah I really hate that in anything D: I also hate repetitiveness and predictability O_O

Elluh
(╯°□°)╯...

Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 AM

Twilight, not to be the whole basher on twilight. It just didn't to me when I was in middle school..I read to the part were she almost got hit by the truck and stopped.

Black Phoebe
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2011, 04:02 PM

I HATED 'Death of a Salesman'

There was nothing there to love, it was a boring story and hard to get into. I barley survived studying it. >.<

Mika Rose
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM

There was a book we were required to read in my fifth grade class called "My Side of the Mountain" that I absolutely despised. The funny thing is, I can't even remember now what I hated so much about that book in the first place, and even back then I loved to read and didn't often dislike a book. I kind of wonder now if I would hate it as much if I reread it. o.o

We also read a few rather boring books last year in my English class, but I don't remember most of them that well. Except for "Speak" - I really disliked that book, too. The characters seemed rather cliche and boring to me, and I didn't find any of the author's attempts at humor or sarcasm really to be funny at all. I'm not really fond of books about ordinary high school students in the first place anyway, though.

Other than that, I can't really think of any. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they disliked the book version of "Queen of the Damned," though. Did you read/dislike the other Vampire Chronicles as well, or just that one?

Missus Catastrophe
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Missus Catastrophe Send a message via MSN to Missus Catastrophe

Old 04-01-2011, 02:01 AM

Catcher In The Rye.
Horrid. Book.

Ivydoodle
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-04-2011, 09:34 PM

I once had a favourite author T-T
I loved her books.
Then she killed off one of the main characters at the end of the series with a mailbox bomb T-T
I now refuse to read any of her new books or continuing series T-T *crys*

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus Catastrophe View Post
Catcher In The Rye.
Horrid. Book.
I read this last week, and I actually quite liked it. What made you dislike it? I'm curious.

CADFND
Determined Writer

Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM

Ooh, a book that I hate? That's a tough question. However there is something I hate that's related to a series. The Max Ride series. I hate what happened to it. Book one to book three was okay, then the series went down the drain. I just hate it. The characters weren't like themselves anymore! >.> The story went down the drain too. There are inconsistencies in the later books that I could drive a truck through (not that I can yet, mind you. I don't have a drivers' licence). It's just so sad. One, Two, and Three were all good books in the series! The latter books made me hate Patterson. I'll re-read the first three over and over again (since they are my favorite books) but the last ones I will never read again. EVER. I mean, Max was supposed to save the world! Why is she fighting GLOBAL WARMING instead of BIG-BAD-EVIL-CORPORATION-THAT-SHE-HATES? Yeah....

And another one. New Moon. Looking back, Twilight was okay. For me at least. New Moon was horrid, though. The part that made me go mad inside - Bella was mourning for over a year. She was more willing to kill herself than get on with her life. That's sad. Just sad. I wished that she'd just get a hold of herself and live again instead of chasing after Edward. >.>

Those are my most hated books. Except Max Ride 1-3. I love those books. Just not the others. >.>

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADFND View Post
Ooh, a book that I hate? That's a tough question. However there is something I hate that's related to a series. The Max Ride series. I hate what happened to it. Book one to book three was okay, then the series went down the drain. I just hate it. The characters weren't like themselves anymore! >.> The story went down the drain too. There are inconsistencies in the later books that I could drive a truck through (not that I can yet, mind you. I don't have a drivers' licence). It's just so sad. One, Two, and Three were all good books in the series! The latter books made me hate Patterson. I'll re-read the first three over and over again (since they are my favorite books) but the last ones I will never read again. EVER. I mean, Max was supposed to save the world! Why is she fighting GLOBAL WARMING instead of BIG-BAD-EVIL-CORPORATION-THAT-SHE-HATES? Yeah....

And another one. New Moon. Looking back, Twilight was okay. For me at least. New Moon was horrid, though. The part that made me go mad inside - Bella was mourning for over a year. She was more willing to kill herself than get on with her life. That's sad. Just sad. I wished that she'd just get a hold of herself and live again instead of chasing after Edward. >.>

Those are my most hated books. Except Max Ride 1-3. I love those books. Just not the others. >.>

I didn't hate the series, but it wasn't as good as it had been. I agree with New Moon though. It was the book that let the series down originally, before I re-read the books and thought "what was I thinking?" It was so.. depressing.

Kraven
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM

I hate Ender's Game. The story is long and drawn out, it keeps splitting off into side stories that totally divert from the main plot, the characters are annoying and stupid, and the ending is just plain weird and does not make any sense.

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Wow theres a huge hate for the classics in here! Though I can understand why some are olost on people, I myself am not a fan of the 'fussy' novels by authors such as Austen. But that doesn't mean people should write off the whole genre of classics, it;s so broad and vast that with some looking you are bound to find sometihng that appeals to you, for me I preffer the more gritty classics like The picture of dorian gray and Wuthering heights, the ones that got bad critical reception at the time because they were simply too 'scandelous' I find it captivating to read the words of these authors that wanted to push the boundarys or express themselves.

My least favourite books.....well....one of the worst I attempted to read was 'the house of night series' it makes twilight look like a scholars essay! Honestly! she practically writes like tihs: 'I was like excited like to find I'd like be totally chosen for this school' it was literaly diabolical.

As for the Twilight series I sit on both sides of the fence. On one hand I think the plot was pretty terrible, jaw-droppingly predictable and presented a bad representation of vampires - The film did not help disprove most peoples opinions. however I did find the books extroadinarily easily an enjoyable to read, (this is not saying I enjoyed the plot) I found I could pick up the book and read it anywhere which is quite a skill. Also it is good how it is getting some people reading that wouldn't have before, though it would have been nice if it had been a book that was more mentally stimulating xDD
I do agree about New Moon though - without Edward on the scene (before he was destroyed by 'r'patz') the book was highly lacking and Bella's 'suicidal tendancy' were highly amusing.

As for Queen of the Damned, this is a book I a have been lent and tired to read once before, I ended up giving up at around 100 pages, however, I found it quite intriguing and I intend to give it another go.

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiliumScifi View Post

For me I hated Queen of the Damned. Hated the movie too. . .

I have tried 2 times to read through the book and I just can't do it! >_< I can't even explain completely what about it bugs me so much. Maybe it's the way certain characters talk, or maybe I found the events to be very boring.
The movie was horrid. It didn't do any justice to the characters or Anne Rice's brilliance.
Have you read Anne Rice's other Vampire Chronicles? Queen of the Damned was a pretty well done continuation of Lestat de Lioncourts story.

Most hated book... hmm... Either Death of a Salesman, Of Mice and Men, or Enders Game. I hated all of those soo much. They were the only required readings in high school that I wanted skip classes for.

meganthemarv

Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM

Twilight. Ergh, I read the first two books and then refused to read the others. All my friends tell me to finish but I actually can't.
I read the vampire diaries and loved them, twilight is so much like it its unreal. With everything twilighty going on a started to hate vampires and cannot read any book about vampire romance.

The hobbit. I just could not get into it. Everytime I picked it up I would struggle through 4/5 pages and put it down. It was awful.

A friend off mine lent me a book called the flood child. That had a pretty awful ending.

Oh! His dark materials. I couldnt read them. They were soo boring!

Some of the classics are alright, but wurthering heights. I dont hate it, I just struggled a bit ready it.
I didnt realise how many book I hated untill that........

Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 AM

THE SCARLET LETTER
The main character whatsherface (obviously I didn't pay attention to this required English reading book) can take her baby and her adultery and just suck it. Hawthorne is not on my good graces as of last year's English class.

A lot of the modern "young adult" books annoy me. I used to be such a sucker for them (I remember staying up late to read the Gossip Girl and Goddess of the Night series), but lately whenever I want to pick up a YA book to read for fun, I end up closing the book midway through in frustration. There's always either something wrong with the storyline or just the author's way of writing. >_<

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganthemarv View Post
Twilight. Ergh, I read the first two books and then refused to read the others. All my friends tell me to finish but I actually can't.
I read the vampire diaries and loved them, twilight is so much like it its unreal. With everything twilighty going on a started to hate vampires and cannot read any book about vampire romance.

The hobbit. I just could not get into it. Everytime I picked it up I would struggle through 4/5 pages and put it down. It was awful.

A friend off mine lent me a book called the flood child. That had a pretty awful ending.

Oh! His dark materials. I couldnt read them. They were soo boring!

Some of the classics are alright, but wurthering heights. I dont hate it, I just struggled a bit ready it.
I didnt realise how many book I hated untill that........

You hated on 2 books I love. D:
Wuthering heights I agree can be tough going but the portrayal of the character Heathcliff is stunning, if you really focus on the things he says it's amazing. The one difficulty I found was understanding some of the servants with 'northern accents' like Joseph and sometimes Hareton, but if you read around what they're saying you can normally understand them pretty quickly. - Also are you American or English or something other entirely, because I could understand why non-English people might struggle, because I can picture where it's set clearly in my head and understand some of the references which could or could not be why it is a struggle.

As for his dark materials I'm wondering if we read the same book! I will admit I ended up putting down the second 'the subtle knife' but I am willing to give it another go. But the first one was excellent it had twists and turns and kept me hooked (I even ended up auditioning for the role of Lyra in the film) did you read it when you were younger? Because I think that might have been my trouble with the subtle knife because I tried reading it when I was 12, and I do think the books are more for older teens and adults. It's a shame the film destroyed the reading pleasure for most people - it was bloody aweful.

Last edited by Eastriel; 04-21-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 04-21-2011, 04:09 PM

To add on to Eastriel's comment, His Dark Materials were amazing! Philip Pullman is one of my favorite authors of all time, and I agree that the movie killed the book (ruined my whole image of the characters and stuff). I found the fantasty/sci-fi element in the series really refreshing ad well done, as compared to many of the other books I've read recently.

Stormrose Dewleaf
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Stormrose Dewleaf Send a message via MSN to Stormrose Dewleaf Send a message via Yahoo to Stormrose Dewleaf

Old 05-01-2011, 07:15 AM

The first book I never finished was some story collection by William Faulkner. I just couldn't do it; it was too dry. I never read anything else by him so I don't know if it was because I don't like him or because I was only in middle school, and there's things I disliked then that I like now.

To throw in my two cents on the ever-going Twilight debate: I didn't mind the first three when viewed as PG-13 romance novels, but I almost didn't finish the fourth one. It read exactly like a bad fanfiction, like something a fan of the series would have cooked up if the third had been the last.

I had a love/hate relationship with Wuthering Heights. There were several points where I almost walked away from it, but curiosity kept me going. And yet it's one of my favourite books, and I have absolutely no idea why. o_O

I never finished Lord of the Rings, but I am determined to try again. I tried reading them when I was thirteen, which probably didn't help.

@meganthemarv: His Dark Materials (or anything by Pullman really) is one of my favourite series! But then again I'll read almost anything involving fantasy.