Heartful_Song
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-12-2011, 01:15 PM

Did you like any of them?
For summer reading I chose to read a book called White Fang. It was pretty good.

But in school we had to read Romeo and Juliet (couldn't understand a word lols)
Of Mice and Men...
To Kill a Mockingbird...

And others but I can't remember >.>
The first book I read in college that we had to read was The Glass House.
That was a pretty good book but I skipped a few chapters haha

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:16 AM

Ugh, I usually detest the books we have to read for school.

The only two that I've really enjoyed...Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby.
Other than that they've been completely horrid, for the most part. Especially this past year in AP English...ugh.

CandyLand
Sugar, Spice, & Everything Nice

Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 AM

I actually like most of the books we've had as required reading, they tend to be classics, and I figure that they have that standing for a reason. (:
The only thing I don't like is when teachers try to force you to interpret a book their way. Sure, that may have been the author's primary message, but I believe that there's more than one way to skin a cat.
That's also the reason I'm not a huge fan of sites like Sparknotes, because kids abuse it and don't actually read and think for themselves. :/
Cinderella, I'm taking AP English this year and as a nervous future student I have to ask, which books didn't you like?

Ana_M
*^_^*

Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 AM

I read AND watched White Fang when I was little, the animated movie actually made me cry, I still have it! The book was just beautiful. So I must congratulate you on a good choice, the year to enroll into eighth grade I had to read The Red Pony. Now in my opinion (since I can't even get past a sentence without being bored to death) it is WORSE than Twilight! It was boring, and awful in my opinion. I REALLY hated that book.

Oh and I think I've read The Glass House, not sure~.

I'm going into ninth grade year this year, and having to read To Kill a mockingbird, I can't say that it's my favorite and most loved book but it is pretty good. However the fact that I am having to do a dialectical on it is sort of what's pushing me away. I'm going to definitely re-read it however when school starts, (since I have to turn this in for a grade the first day of school!)

CandyLand, your teachers are probably going to have a pretty decent list. I agree with you whole-heartedly about those type of sites, then again it's the PERSON'S stupid mistake of copying from what's on a site. For all they know that could be entirely false information. HAH. o3o''

Oh, for anyone wondering what a dialectical journal is, it's a two-entry journal where you take a quote then write your thoughts about it. I guess it could be fun, and I think it'd be a great way to review something you wrote! >.< o3o
So ex. would be:
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed vitae nulla sed ante viverra laoreet."
(Chapter x, Page x, Author)

- What I think!
- What I think!

Last edited by Ana_M; 08-14-2011 at 05:58 AM..

The Real Nikki
One more time to Pretend.
Send a message via MSN to The Real Nikki

Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM

I remember having the read A Handmaid's Tale and I loved it so much. At first it didn't make any sense, but once you get around it, it's wonderful. Same with Animal Farm.

NicoleJin
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM

They made me read uhhh of mice and men.....

I ended up getting the book banned because it made my stomach turned horrible.

I do get the point of the story and stuff.... but i found it to be vulgar so i made them get rid of it after writing a detail persuasive letter about it.

Rinetteable
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-01-2011, 10:34 AM

I remember Of Mice and Men, A Rose for Emily, Animal Farm, the Outsiders, and whole ton of others. I didn't love all of them, but I'm glad that I read them. A lot of them are books I wouldn't have picked up on my own. :)

Arumaixana
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 10-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Currently I'm reading "All quiet on the Western Front"
and after we're done that we'll be reading "Lord of the Flies"
I AM SO EXCITED! This is the first time my English class has had time for reading classics (mostly because I tend to end up with the "I hate reading" crowd XDD)

TheOriginalPyro
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM

At least all of your schools read good books. We have drop kick students who can't construct a proper sentence in my school so we read boring stuff like Noodle Pie or Darius Bell and The Glitter Pool.
We read The Outsiders earlier and that was a great book but now we have to read The Decaration. It's about as boring as it gets because most of the book to begin with is just a girl repeatedly saying she hates her parents.
We got to read some good literature from our history like The Man From Snowy River and The Drovers Wife. They are pretty good albeit short.
BTW I'm from Australia. Our education system kinda sucks.

Arumaixana
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM

I've had to read some pretty awful books too. Ever heard of "Ice Station Zebra"? Most boring thing I've ever read. Luckily it was a mystery-type book, so I read the first 2 chapters and the last 2 chapters and I knew pretty much what happened. My school fails pretty badly at Required Reading, we say we're going to read all these great books, and we just don't. Too busy with grammar rules >.<

TheOriginalPyro
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2011, 04:33 AM

Never heard of Ice Station Zebra but I have read Ice Station. It's about military and stuff and it was really good.
All of our books are books for kids because the people at my school think that the world will throw itself at their feet and they can have whatever they want.

Lullipop
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartful_Song View Post
Did you like any of them?
For summer reading I chose to read a book called White Fang. It was pretty good.

But in school we had to read Romeo and Juliet (couldn't understand a word lols)
Of Mice and Men...
To Kill a Mockingbird...

And others but I can't remember >.>
The first book I read in college that we had to read was The Glass House.
That was a pretty good book but I skipped a few chapters haha

Ooooo! I love White Fang (:
We've had to read the basics, To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, ect.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 PM

I usually didn't really like the books we had to read in school but I read them anyway. I wasn't a fan of Lord of the Flies though or Ethan Frome. The second one was one of the worst books I've ever read I feel. V_V

PrinceNinjaNuke

Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM

I've loved every book I had to read for school. There wasn't a single one I hated. In fact, one of the books we had to read is now number one on my list of favourite novels.

Fluffsamasprime
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 PM

I had to read Huckleberry Finn, and I hated that book.

Drexy4ever
Don't start nothin', won't be no...

Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 PM

I read a very good book in 7th grade called Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals. She was one of the Little Rock 9 who intergrated a school in Arkansas. I cried at some parts. It was a really good book. You should read it.

Mika Rose
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 PM

We don't read that many books at my school... Our English classes kind of fail in general, actually. More often than not, all we get to read are excerpts out of books in our textbooks, which always annoys me because most of the time they just give us random chapters that don't even follow consecutively.

I did enjoy "To Kill a Mockingbird" when we read it for freshman year, though, and we read a few others for an Advanced class that I liked.

The only books that I've really disliked that we've read have been "Speak" and "Huckleberry Finn." I thought "Speak" was extremely overrated and the writing came across as really cliche and unoriginal to me, and "Huckleberry Finn" just didn't interest me very much.

Oh, and we read "The Outsiders" in middle school, which was one of my favorite books when I was about thirteen.

Ivydoodle
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 PM

Of Mice and men
Frankenstein

I enjoyed reading both. We also watched a film, but personally i preferred the books.

ShadowDemon101
The Idea Girl

Old 12-02-2011, 04:39 AM

I remember reading To Kill A Mocking Bird, Great Gatsby and another book but I forget what it was called but I definitely did not get it when I read it and I sure as hell wasn't the only one :XD
Also read a lot of Shakespeare plays; Romeo and Juliet (DUH), A MidSummer's Night and Othello; wanted to be Macbeth but that never happened D:

Oooo! Also read the first part of I think Oedipus bcause well, that's the more interesting part xD Now I know where the Oedipus Complex comes from :D XDD

IndigoKitsune
Computer Bug

Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 AM

These are all of the books that I remember having to read during high school and collage.

The Scarlet Letter
A Separate Peace
The Count of Monte Cristo
Romeo And Juliet
As You Like It
Where The Red Fern Grows
Tuck Everlasting
Macbeth
A Midsummers Night's Dream

Q U E E N
spooky scary skeletons
Send a message via AIM to Q U E E N

Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Ugh, I usually detest the books we have to read for school.

The only two that I've really enjoyed...Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby.
Other than that they've been completely horrid, for the most part. Especially this past year in AP English...ugh.
Exactly what I was going to say!

Lacquer
*^_^*

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM

English Lit. was one of my favorite classes..all those new stories to devour. I remember Of Mice and Men, The Raven, Wuthering Heights, Romeo and Juliet (one of my faves and still depressing), Taming of the Shrew, and so many more. Of course, some of the ones I had to read I had already read in my off time, during the summer or something for funsies. I was a strange child. :3

Adrastiea
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM

Luckily the high school I went to didn't force too many books on us. Out of the book groups I participated in, I think the worst for me was Jane Eyre.... I just couldn't get into it. College hasn't been too bad so far, I've had some professors with excellent tastes in novels and short stories. The only book I had any trouble enjoying was The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.

Heloise
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 AM

The book we had to read this year was The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was actually a really good book, especially considering what some other classes had to read. But the one book I wished our class could have read was The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. One lucky class got that book. It is one of my favorite books to read.

AarinsRitsuka
Sweet Dream or Beautiful Nightma...

Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Let's see...Lord of the Flies, Monster, The Alchemist