Mizz Paperdoll
*^_^*

Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 PM

I remember having to read Much Ado About Nothing.
I'm pretty sure I never actually read it though, far too much effort for sure a boring book. ):

Jakotsusou
Always keep the faith.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 PM

hmmm, many types of books but my favourite was where the red fern grows, (such a sad book, i was in tears T.T)

shinigamikarasu
(^._.^)ノ

Penpal

Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 PM

I remember my favorites from high school were Lord of the Flies, Dante's Inferno, and Hamlet.

I also just completed a college course where we had to read Much Ado About Nothing. It was definitely one of my favorite books that I've ever had to read for school. We actually watched the movie while we were reading it, so it was a bit easierto understand. When you actually understand what's going on, the book and movie are hilarious.

If anyone is interested in the movie, it's the 1993 version with Robert Sean Leonard (Dr.Wilson from House) as Claudio and Michael Keaton as Dogberry.

NightshadeBloom
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 PM

I am assuming we just mean High School, but I will add college as well.

I believe if I can remember that far back I 'read' To Kill a Mockingbird, Count of Monte Cristo, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Little Prince, The Merchant of Venice, All Quiet on the Western Front, Schindler's List, The Scarlet Letter, Frankenstien, Beowulf, and many others

I was in Honors English the first two years in high school but I couldn't handle the reading load and was having trouble reading due to I needed glasses

As far a college goes I have read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

But I do use the term 'read' loosely because I have trouble sitting through overly wordy books that to me have nothing truely interesting happening. (Schindler's List was a big one) I probably would of loved The Count of Monte Cristo if I could have actually read it without getting a headache.

IndigoKitsune
Computer Bug

Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM

I know that I am probably forgeting a few books, but it has been years since I was in High School.

The Scarlet Letter
A Separate Peace
The Count of Monte Cristo

Junabelle
But first, coffee.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:01 PM

These are just the ones I remember from the top of my head:
Tangerine by Edward Bloor = It wasn't bad or exciting, but I had no problems with reading it.
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespear = I think the only reason why I liked it was because I understood it and liked the whole forbidden romance thing that went on.
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee = It was dull and boring, but it was easy to force myself to read it...and it also helped me pass my English class.
And right now I'm reading Farewell to Arms by Earnest Hemingway = So far, I don't hate it or dislike it...but it's boring and very over dramatic.

Question: WHY CAN'T WE READ JANE EYRE BY CHARLOTTE BRONTE OR SCRIBBLER OF DREAMS BY MARY E. PEARSON!?

Tystna
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-25-2011, 04:22 AM

I only liked the stories by Shakespeare.
My favorite was a "Midsummer Night's Dream".
I didn't like "Lord of the Flies" or "Beowulf"
"Beowulf" was boring,
and "Lord of the Flies" was disturbing.

Winged Newt
Champion of Pulchritude

Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJin View Post
They made me read uhhh of mice and men.....

I ended up getting the book banned because it made my stomach turned horrible.

I do get the point of the story and stuff.... but i found it to be vulgar so i made them get rid of it after writing a detail persuasive letter about it.
That's...disgusting. That they would allow the censorship of such a classic book because one girl couldn't take it. The book is not vulgar. It's realistic, and it's tragic. It is supposed to depress you, and it does a remarkable job of it. It should disturb you, it should sadden you. It should anger you. These are emotions, feelings. You can't just lock them away because you don't like some of them.

But now, thanks to your weak stomach, odds are that no one going through that school will ever read Steinbeck's classic tragedy. Hundreds of people, likely. Perhaps thousands in time, if no one reverts your influence. I hope you're proud.
___

As for actual books I read back in high school. Of the ones I enjoyed: Of Mice and Men (if you couldn't tell.), 1984, To Kill a Mockingbird, Gulliver's Travels, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Invisible Man, and the Shakespeare standards. That I remember. I couldn't get into Gatsby at the time. I was reading for plot, and that severely weakens it.

Those I didn't enjoy...namely The Secret Life of Bees. My English teacher thought it was a suitable replacement for Huckleberry Finn. I lost a good deal of respect for her that day.

Chen
The Commoner

Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 AM

I don't remember the books I had to read in high school, however I do remember having to read Morris Gleitzman and Paul Jennings books in primary school. The teacher would make us take turns to read sections of the books out loud. It was tedious, and it ,made me dislike the books to some extent as a result.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 PM

We only had to read two. To Kill A Mocking Bird and Of Mice And Men. Both tolerable.

ekf501
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 AM

Let's see, over my 14 years of schooling, and my most recent 2 being split into 4 completely separate classes, what have I had to read?
-Lord of the Flies
-Speak
-Catcher in the Rye
-The Great Gatsby
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
-The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
-A Midsummer Night's Dream
-Romeo and Juliet
-The Merchant of Venice
-A Rose for Emily
-the Damned Thing
-The Picture in the House
-The Fall of the House of Usher
-12 Angry Men
-Mr. Popper's Penguin
-Charlotte's Web
and we're currently reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle
That's all that I can remember but I'm certain there were many others that I can't remember lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Newt View Post
That's...disgusting. That they would allow the censorship of such a classic book because one girl couldn't take it. The book is not vulgar. It's realistic, and it's tragic. It is supposed to depress you, and it does a remarkable job of it. It should disturb you, it should sadden you. It should anger you. These are emotions, feelings. You can't just lock them away because you don't like some of them.

But now, thanks to your weak stomach, odds are that no one going through that school will ever read Steinbeck's classic tragedy. Hundreds of people, likely. Perhaps thousands in time, if no one reverts your influence. I hope you're proud.
I completely agree! What a horrible thing to do to a book! We had to read it in secondary 3, we even watched the movie and did a project and essays on it. It made us sad, but we survived. No book should be banned. Let the readers decide if a book is right for them. Perhaps suggesting to the teacher to not cover the book anymore, but that at the VERY MOST. Poor book...poor readers for having such a work taken from them.

Lyndie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 AM

This summer, I had to read Night by Elie Wiesel and The Devouring by Simon Holt. Last year, I had to read The Scarlet Letter in class and summer reading, and the first out of the LoTR series.

Vox
*^_^*

Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM

I liked the science fiction books we read. The Time Machine, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, 1984... And in college I took a freshman writing class whose theme was sci-fi, and we read Brave New World, The Martian Chronicles, and Caves of Steel. I liked all of those.

Ivvy
Fashionably Late

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Ivvy Send a message via Yahoo to Ivvy

Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 PM

1984 and A Brave New World... I to this day can reread both of them. :) Epic stories in my opinion.

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 AM

I had to read Toni Morrison's A Mercy and Jeannette Walls' Glass Castle for my Women in Literature class.

HazelFlame

Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 AM

Books I have been forced to read in english Deadly Unna (Don't ask), Tommorrow when the war began, Don't call me Ishmael and Ishmael and the return of the Dugongs (Not that I bothered to finish that one. I couldn't make it passed the first chapter). I think that's about it. 90% of them I hated every word of. And then they go and tell us to write an essay ona book that we hated so badly... It is just cruel. Cruelty I say

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Newt View Post

I have never read the book myself, but this strikes me as a rather dramatic response. :sweat:

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 05-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Kinda basically what most people are saying now.

To Kill a MockingBird, Of Mice and Men, Romeo and Juliet. Lord of the Flies, The Great Gatsby, East of Eden.. uh.. one was about this french man taking care of an orphan girl who's mother was a prostitute, I can't remember the title, but it was like abridged because the actual novel is huge.

Than there was.. The Little Prince, The Portrait of a lady, Dante's Inferno.. Man oh man. I know there was more but my brain is fizzling out on me.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM

I remember reading "Beloved" and "The Great Gatsby". Both of them are great reads.

Blue Rebel

Old 06-23-2012, 02:44 AM

The Books I read currently at school is "The Giver" and "The Man Who Was Poe".
I thought that "The Giver" was a great book but I didn't like "The Man Who Was Poe".
It was kind of creepy...

Gizensha
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 AM

Ignoring the usual a couple of Shakespeare works (Romeo and Juliet, and Twelfth Night) the ones I recall from highschool are:

Lord of the Flies by William Golding - Not a bad book, but I could have gone for something shorter given that it was the exam piece of that syllabus. Searching for quotes in a 300 page book in a two hour exam to use as back up evidence is annoying.
Examination Day by Henry Slesar - A hugely enjoyable short story. Read for a compare/contrast essay with...
...Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal. Which isn't quite as enjoyable as Examination Day.

All three of which were set by the same teacher, actually. Suffice to say, we did notice the pattern there.

While in primary the ones I recall were was James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, who... I'm one of the few people who doesn't enjoy his works, go figure, and The Iron Man by Tedd Hughes, which I adored enough to look up the sequel to in my own time.

QueenFool
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 AM

Something about being told to read a book makes me dislike it more. I've had some pretty subpar English teachers, too. I wasn't taught a lot of basic grammar rules until 12th grade. I was in honors classes, so that's just sad.

Anyway, in 9th grade I remember reading Abarat (meh) and the Hobbit (meh). I also remember Great Expectations, which was awesome, A Tale of Two Cities, which would have been great if the teacher helped us with it but I was too young to really enjoy it on my own, Romeo and Juliet which I hated, and a few others that have slipped my mind.

10th grade we read Lord of the Flies, which I think I would have hated but the sub that taught it was really awesome. We read Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World, which I enjoyed but would have liked if my teacher had understood the books BEFORE she taught them to us. Summer reading that year was Catcher in the Rye (not a fan), Boys Life (pretty cool but not great), I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (one of the worst books I ever read), and A Separate Peace (pretty good). Oh and we read Julius Caesar, which was awesome because I'm a Roman history geek.

11th grade I only remember reading The Scarlet Letter, which was okay, Macbeth, which was okay but my teacher was a nutjob who ruined it for me, The Great Gatsby (which honestly, I skimmed), The Crucible (boring!), and a few others. Oh, The Night Thoreau Spent In Jail! That was short but still pretty good. I remember doing my final as a play based on The Great Gatsby and my group having to rewrite it for too many references to alcohol or something. It was a New Year's party set in the 20's, what else were we supposed to do?

12th grade was the only year I loved English. For summer of reading, we had The Color of Water, which I surprisingly enjoyed, and The Stranger, which I adored. We also had Three Cups of Tea, which beyond being boring turned out to be a load of crap anyway, and another book that I guess I didn't read because I don't even remember the title. Throughout the year we read a lot of articles. We also read a lot of assorted Vonnegut, and I keep meaning to read more by him.

Just remembered one more! Dante's Inferno brought me my first ever B in 10th grade! I really liked the concept but it was crammed into a short time with no instruction from a teacher who didn't understand the book herself. My dislike of it probably comes from the fact that she would give us tests with class averages below 50%....in 10th grade!

sam-deanwinchester
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 PM

what i remember book i had to read is amistad(movie on it), the road (there is a movie based on it), the freak the almighty(also movie on it), this other one about two brothers. One brother has speacial needs and the one brother looks after him. It was also a movie but i can't remember the name. :/. And this other one was about dying and meeting a blue guy.

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM

For Higher English I read Lord of the Flies and Macbeth, both of which I enjoyed. Reading Julius Caesar, Macbeth, and then later Antony and Cleopatra and Othello for Advanced Higher put some people off Shakespeare, but studying it just made me love it.
In my last year I read Pride and Prejudice, and Emma by Jane Austen for my dissertation, but I'm not sure if that counts because we were allowed to choose the dissertation texts ourselves.
I think that it's good that schools often have their pupils read classic novels which they normally wouldn't read, because I find that a lot of the time they turn out to enjoy them, even if they are being told to read.

QueenFool
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-deanwinchester View Post
what i remember book i had to read is amistad(movie on it), the road (there is a movie based on it), the freak the almighty(also movie on it), this other one about two brothers. One brother has speacial needs and the one brother looks after him. It was also a movie but i can't remember the name. :/. And this other one was about dying and meeting a blue guy.
Amistad was a good movie!

The book about dying is The Five People You Meet in Heaven.