Yuuki Sena
Bookworm

Old 08-18-2012, 09:10 PM

I was forced to read Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen and Nothing But The Truth by Avi for some boring communication arts project last year. Now tell me what you guys were forced to read, if I've read the book I'd be glad to share my personal thoughts and I just want to see what you guys are reading these days. Also if you've read these books I'd like to know what you guys think about them.

roxxie
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 PM

Yep, I had to read Romeo & Juliet too and oh gosh. I'm really, really, really bad at comprehension. Especially when the question is like "How is this an example of foreshadowing?" And when the teacher says the answer at the end of class, I always get completely mind-blown. No wonder I didn't get such a good mark on my final haha ^^;;

I also had to read In the Heat of the Night. It was...pretty good. Obviously nothing I would read in my spare time, but the plot was great actually. I got a great mark on my essay for that haha.

lizrd356
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 PM

our teacher gave us three or four choices for books to read each time so we picked what we wanted to read.

i actually chose to read romeo and juliet i had seen at least 9 different versions of the movie so it was easy for me to understand the book.

mewgirl1995

Old 09-30-2012, 02:21 AM

Last year I read Of Mice and Men, The Glass Menagerie, Into the Wild, Their Eyes Were Watching God, and The Great Gatsby. I absolutely loved Of Mice and Men, The Glass Menagerie, and The Great Gatsby.

Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 AM

I recall reading Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Hamlet. We then read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead-- something I enjoyed because our teacher was great in explaining the book. Pretty sure I would have gotten bored of it had it not been for her. Also needed to read George Orwell's 1984, which I ended up loving. To Kill a Mockingbird is another that I kind of liked, but only after rereading it on my own pace. Lord of the Flies is very memorable for me, I still like the book a lot. Night by Elie Wiesel was sad and haunting, and we even met the author by the end of the semester! Oh, and Beowulf, as well as John Gardner's version of its events, Grendel.

The one book I absolutely HATED is Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, no amount of the teacher's explanations or summaries could make me like it.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 AM

James and the Giant Peach. Great book... but that was 3rd grade.
Then I got it assigned again in 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, and 7th grade.

THEN I had to watched the movie in 3rd, and 7th, and THEN I had to listen to a book on tape in 7th...

PLUS I'd already seen the movie twice.

kittykondos
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 AM

I had to read A Separate Peace by John Knowles, I think anyway. Honestly I hated it. It was totally unrelateable to teenagers. It was based in the 1940's at an all boys boarding school. I found it completley just boring and awful. I got increasingly depressed while reading it. Everyone in my class also hated it. I am hoping for a better reading choice next summer ^_^

MacSen191
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 AM

I remember we had to read The Giver, and that turned into one of my all time fav books. Still is to this day... it made me look at things in a diffrent way ya know?

AquasSeer
Elizabeth Hill

Old 12-29-2012, 03:28 AM

school books suck :D

DaniCalifornia
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Not always. My Grade Eight teacher had us read the Lightning Thief. And that was really sweet. She was cool with book choice in general, always choosing something that I would never pick up, but ended up enjoying.

That being said, I LOVED Grade Twelve English and our study of 1984, so I might be a bit of a book nerd :P HATED, HATED, HATED The Da Vinci code though. I hate to use a cliche critique word, but that book is DAMN pretentious.

I really could go over every single book I've ever had to read for school, but I won't because that would be an annoyingly post.

InsaneArtisticNerd
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 AM

I had a Jewish English teacher in middle school, and he kept making our class read memoirs of holocaust survivors. It was horrifying to read, and I resented him making us read that sh!t, but looking back, I got to admit that it was necessary to learn about and acknowledge the tragedy that happened to the Jews.

Other than that, I read the Scarlet Letter(boring), To Kill a Mockingbird(Fantastic), Of Mice and Men(A bit sad I guess) and Catcher in the Rye(dumbest book I've ever read).

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM

I had to read a book one of my professor's wrote called "Now More Than Ever" about his grandfather who was a full blooded Cherokee ... it was for his classes... I thought the book was Mediocre at best as I found myself skimming over two to three pages at a time at information I thought was insignificant or just boring as i was just trying to get through the book so I could pass a test on the dumb thing. It had a lot to do about alcoholism and trying to get off of alcohol and other kinds of tragic flaws people in everyday life have to contend with...

I kept counting the pages until the end and was glad when i finished it. I ended up selling it right back to the bookstore next semester. I hope no one else has to read it---and if they do they have my symphathies...
it's hard to read a book you have zero interest in. It was a drag the whole way for me.

Annabeth Rowanna Cullen
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM

This year we have read"
The Chosen
The Giver
The Anthem
The Code
Persepolis
Fever 1793
How Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit
and we just started Night.

I have enjoyed most of them, the Chosen is a little boring and I just can't bring myself to like the protagonist of The Anthem , and it's plural talk is confusing, but the others I enjoyed.

Sansa
The Little Bird

Old 05-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Hmm, there have been a number of books I've read for school. Most, if not all, are named here.

Fahrenheit 451
Lord of the Flies
Othello
Merchant of Venice
Macbeth
Handmaids Tale
Antigone
Death of a Salesman
Fathers and Sons
Pygmalion
A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
The Lottery
Twelve Angry Men
Waiting for Godot
Rozencrants and Guildenstern are Dead

We also did a lot of Poetry, Sylvia Plath and what not... There is a play I cannot remember also... which is a shame, because I remember liking it.

The only one I remember not liking at all was a Curious Incident.
I wasn't too fond of a Death of a Salesman, but that's because it was boring, and it got over-done for me because I had it in both my English class and my Drama class.
As well, a Handmaids tale, I wasn't really a fan - but I wrote a great piece on it... Probably shouldn't have submitted it for marks... but yanno. Ahha (The scene where they are 'mating', I wrote it from the wives POV, and basically had her getting off from it...essentially... >>;;)

GinKadia
Ginger Ninja

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 AM

Books I had to read in school/ones I remember reading. (Thank goodness for Coles Notes!)

To Kill a Mocking Bird
Lord of the Flies
Romeo and Juliet
Merchant of Venice
Handmaid's Tale
Merchant of Venice
Macbeth
Little House on the Prairie
Pygmalion
OWLS
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

I really enjoyed all the Shakespeare we read as well as HP and Lord of the Flies.
Handmaid's Tale is one of the most terrifying books I've ever read.

0ri0n83
Is your light going to guide me?
Send a message via AIM to 0ri0n83

Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Books I have read in school (high school)

Old Man and the Sea
The Great Gatsby
Midsummer Nights Dream
Merchant of Venice
Canterbery Tales (all of it)
Grapes of Wrath
Romeo and Juliet
Lord of the Flies
Macbeth
The Giver

Books we had to read in school (college)
Hunger Games Trilogy (Yeah, I know it was a YA literature class)
The Great Gatsby
Interview with a Vampire

yunie213*

Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM

i had to read "to kill a mockingbird" "island of the blue dolphins" "a wrinkle in time" and "jurassic park"

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 AM

I going to come right out and say it since I didn't see anyone else - does no one else love Moby Dick the way I do? I had to read that in high school and I just devoured it! All the beautiful symbolism in the book - I just loved!

My second favorite book/play I had to read for school was Hamlet. It's my favorite Shakespeare play.

My LEAST favorite book I had to read for school was definitely a story called Watt. It. Was. Terrible! I can't even explain to you how annoyed I was with it. I literally threw it across the room, I was so irked with it. I had to read that the summer before my Senior Year AP Lit class. Anyway - when I got there the first week, the teacher told me HE threw it across the room the first time he read it as well! XD If any one has read it, they know how annoying it is. But the main character in the story analyzes every single possible outcome for the stupidest stuff you will ever know. PAGES and PAGES of different outcomes for this. I don't even remember why but there were pages of "His Father's Father's Father, his Father's Father's Mother, His Father's Mother's Mother, His Mother's Mother's Mother, His Mother's Father's Mother, His Mother's Father's Father," etc. It was like that throughout the entire book. Now...one of the things I LOVED to do was analyze book - look for hidden meanings. I thought, MAYBE, the number of times he thought over something was a numerical clue or foreshadow of somesort. I analyzed it and couldn't figure it out. My teacher said it was nothing and that he usually just skipped over the parts >.< I was like, "UGHHHH"

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 PM

THE OUTSIDERS enough said thank you S.E. Hinton

jellyfaylene
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 AM

I took an AP Lit class... We did nothing but read, sadly.

Frankenstein
Heart of Darkness
Scarlet Letter
A Doll's House
Their Eyes Were Watching God
To Kill a Mockingbird
Julius Caesar
Romeo and Juliet
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Night
Farenheit 541
Huckleberry Finn
Beloved

I enjoyed most of them, actually. Especially 1984.

SanPS
Banned

Old 08-08-2013, 07:16 AM

I only remember SNOW WHITE:)

Volucria
*^_^*

Old 08-17-2013, 02:13 PM

I studied Language and Linguistics and Latin/Modern Languages before that, so I read truckloads of books in school. X_x I'll only list some of the English ones I know off the top of my head:

Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein
The Castle of Otranto
What Maisie Knew
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Finnegan's Wake
Hard Times
Middlemarch
Beloved
White Noise
What A Carve Up!
Disgrace
Heart of Darkness and some other things by Conrad
Lord of the Flies

And a bunch of others. I can't be bothered to find my reading lists right now.

KushyKissez
♤♡Kushy Quinn♢...

Old 10-26-2014, 11:47 AM

My favourite books at school was called "the battle below giltspur" and "the dance of the midnight fire" it's about two kids in Ireland brother and sister they build a scare crow and on the night of beltane (Irish festive day) a magic blows through the land and awakens the scare crow called glasan and as the story goes on they find out he isn't the only one that was awakened... it's good versus the evil it's exciting and a little scary but so much happens in it it keeps interested... the dance of the mid night fire is a year later same brother and sister different story but equally good... it's like a young adult book I still have the books at home I loved the stories so much when I finished them at home as homework I forgot to bring them back into school "wink wink" :P