Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro

Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Art by ToriKat; Banner made by Sizzla

In the darkness of the night, illuminated by the weak light of the moon and stars... acquaintances, friends and family members alike group together on this day known as the Day of the Dead. Huddled under the layers of sheets and covers with only a candle as the source of light, shadows leaping off the walls, spooky tales of all kinds were told, some simply terrifying, sending chills down the spine, some mild and silly, prompting amusement. Now, it is your turn to tell your story...

Last edited by Iro; 11-08-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM

What is this challenge about?
Basically, you are to give us the spookiest and most horrifying stories you could come up with. It must be original and written by you and not by anyone else.
Whether they are witty, satiric or down right scary, it doesn't matter so long as the main theme is also incorporated together in the stories. They could be anything and do not have to be Halloween related. It could even be something you have been through yourself!
Any word limits?
Yes, of course. The maximum number or words allowed in an entry is 400 words. Less words used are fine, entries past 400 words will be rejected.
How many entries could we enter?
You could enter a maximum of two(2) entries. If you have many ideas brimming, pick your best two to give us!
ONLY stories in nicely written sentences are allowed?
You could also submit poetry in addition to stories. Stories typed in script format should be avoided.
Anything else to note?
While I am not so particular about grammar and spelling errors so long as the entry could be read and understood well, it is preferable that there are as few mistakes as possible. Poor grammar and spelling does affect the impact, mood and flow of what could otherwise be a good story.

Challenge Requirements in a nutshell
  • The main theme is horror, which must be incorporated in every submission.
  • There is a 400 words limit per entry. Yes, I will check every one of them.
  • You may submit up to two entries, but you can only win once.
  • It must be your own work. Submitting a story written by someone else is not allowed and you could be punished for plagiarism.
  • Poetry and poems are allowed. Scripts are not.
  • Please check your grammar and spelling before submission!

Last edited by Iro; 11-07-2009 at 03:42 AM..

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Prizes

Story Category
Best Entry:
8, 000 gold and Oct 09 CI set

2nd Best:
4, 500 gold and Oct 09 CI set

3rd Best:
1, 500 gold and Oct 09 CI set

Poem/Poetry Category
Best Entry:
8, 000 gold and Nov 09 CI set

Runner Up:
4, 500 gold and Nov 09 CI set

The Most Creative: 6,000 gold
The Most Chilling: 6,000 gold
Personal Favourite: 6,000 gold
Staff's Choice: 6,000 gold

HOW TO ENTER
Simply post your entry using the form below in this thread. PMs will not be entertained.

HTML Code:
[B][I][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]What is that behind you...?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
[B]Username:[/B] 
[B]Word count:[/B] 
[B]Entry:[/B]

Last edited by Iro; 11-14-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Q&A

None yet.

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-14-2009, 04:44 PM

*ribbon snippity*

raeofsunshinelove
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via Yahoo to raeofsunshinelove

Old 10-31-2009, 11:04 AM

time to get my brain thinking

cheng
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-31-2009, 11:10 AM

well i might as well think tonight
maybe i'll stick to poetry xDD

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-31-2009, 11:12 AM

Get your thinking hats on, and have fun writing your entries! ;)

Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust
Send a message via AIM to Gary Stargazer Send a message via MSN to Gary Stargazer Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Stargazer

Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 AM

400 word or less? ouch... it would be tricky to write something so short for me ... then again it will be a challenge to write something that is not adult rated as well ... Xd

Maybe i will think on it and try entering, Horror is certainly not at the top of my list of subjects but we will see. >:3

IHateTests
*^_^*

Old 10-31-2009, 11:40 AM

Hmmm i think i may participate in this though when is the closing date for this

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 AM

Oh, yes. I forgot about the closing date because I was unsure about when the event would start. Thank you for reminding me, IHateTests. :lol:

The last date should be on the 7th of November, maybe about 6 hours before the event ends. :)

@Gary Stargazer:
Challenge yourself! That's the way. ;D

IHateTests
*^_^*

Old 10-31-2009, 11:52 AM

It was no problem... I was reading the posts and was like when is the closing date for this

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 10-31-2009, 11:57 AM

I'm so working on this later! :yes:

I love to write, so I hope I'll score high up there. C:

Or well, at least entertain a few people! I find that my writing style's witty and satirical, so I hope everyone's in for a treat - teehee, get it? Treat?

FACADE MADE A FUNNY. C:

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 PM

Okay, the ending date and time has been edited in. :yes:

@Facade:
Haha That's not a bad thing. xD
The reason I open it up to other genre in the first place is because if all the entries were merely horror and spooky, then it would be a narrower scope for the writers to write. Not as fun. ~_^

lol Puns!

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM

Yeah, I've never attempted horrifically spooky stuff, so I'm pretty sure I'd be an instant fail. <w<

Although I'm an ENORMOUS fan of Stephen King's work, and will probably be watching every movie based on his work that I can find on TV today. :lol: And probably tomorrow, too...

:hug: I'm really grateful that all of you lovely staffers kept us chained to the Leash of "I WANT MY EVENT NOW. D:<!" and kept us wanting the flipping thing to start! I'm so proud of you all, no matter what part you worked on to bring us this amazing event. I seriously mean it. :heart: I was getting all teary-eyed earlier, because I've been here in the past and have expected the same-old sort of event... BUT MAN! Was I SHOCKED or WHAT!? :lol:

I love the board-specific layout, the banner up top, the theme, the amazingly unconventional commons... everything.

I'm so proud to be a Menewshan, however corny that sounds. xP :heart:

Ivvy
Fashionably Late

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Ivvy Send a message via Yahoo to Ivvy

Old 10-31-2009, 12:47 PM

Ahh Iro.. I am going to have to try and do this, I haven't written anything in ages. :) You have inspired me. :)

exeno chan
The emo ninja

Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 PM

Guess I'm out of the challenge before it started, I'm not a very good speller.

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 PM

@Facade:
You never know till you try. ;)

I've never read Stephen King though I know of him. Perhaps I should pick up one of his books. =O

I'm really glad you feel so! :hug:

@Ivvy:
Good luck and have fun, Ivvy! :yes:

@exeno chan:
Your post looks error free, exeno. ~_^
That is not so much a requirement, though. It's more impression.
If you still fret, you can always ask a friend to help spell check for you. =D

Ivvy
Fashionably Late

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Ivvy Send a message via Yahoo to Ivvy

Old 10-31-2009, 01:00 PM

@ Iro.. thank you love. Ohh and a good King Book one of my favorites in fact is Gerald's Game.. the concept was interesting. :)

exeno chan
The emo ninja

Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 PM

I am the only one where I am.

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-31-2009, 01:07 PM

@Ivvy:
What is the book about, generally? =D

@exeno chan:
Well, surely there is someone who could help you online if there is no one physically there to help you out? :)

IHateTests
*^_^*

Old 10-31-2009, 01:08 PM

Ok, so here's my entry I hope it is enjoyed and follows all the rules..

What is that behind you...?
Username: IHateTests
Word count: 400 exactly
Entry: It was Halloween and I was home alone. I had been grounded so I couldn't do anything for the holiday which was a shame because I love Halloween. There had been no trick-or-treaters yet. I was getting bored.

While I was watching TV, I finally heard the doorbell ring. I was happy that someone had finally come to the door. I head over to it with the bucket of sweets for the kids. Looking out the window, I didn't see anything or anyone which was odd. Maybe it was just some punk kids trying to scare me, I wasn't sure. I placed down the bucket I was holding and went to open the door. On opening the door, I look outside and around the front porch, but there wasn't anyone there.

Just as I was about to got back in I spotted a man dressed in all black walking along the side of the house. He was looking down at the ground as if he was looking for something he dropped and was walking away from the porch and to the driveway.

“Hey!” I called, “Only kids can trick-or-treat!!!”

I shook my head. I turned back to head inside, but then I hear footsteps behind me. Turning I hoped the trick-or-treaters had come at last, I was shocked to see the man dressed in black standing right in front of me at the threshold of the house.

I was starting to panic a little. I backed away slowly, my hand groping behind me for the phone so as to call the police, “What do you want?” I said.

The man’s face was covered by a rubber mask. He slowly moved a hand up, putting a thumb over the right eye of the mask, and his middle finger over the left eye of the mask. As he slowly started to pull it down from his face, he reveled two dark red eyes.

“I want your soul.” He said. Fear made me unable to move as the man advanced ever closer.
When he reached me that was when everything went black.

I was cold and I couldn't see a thing. I was dead, but I could hear sirens blaring and the dogs barking. The pounding on the ground above me, and then I hear the sound of shovels, digging.

After that, I don't know what happened.

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator

Old 10-31-2009, 01:14 PM

It's actually less than 400 words. :D

Thank you very much for your entry, IHateTests!

IHateTests
*^_^*

Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM

@ Iroase Delschatten: It was no problem really..