~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-18-2016, 05:04 AM

He wasn't leaving...at least, not yet. In fact, unless she had finally gone insane, it sounded like he was coming closer to her. She stayed still while he crouched and looked at her, not wanting to startle him. It seemed an eternity before another sound was heard, but when the silence broke it seemed like only a second had passed. The rustle of clothes, a footstep...his voice! Gemini had to admit to herself that she actually started to worry that he couldn't speak more than a few words.

The question caught her off guard, and for one breathless moment she wasn't sure whether to ignore him or answer him. Her mouth seemed to have a mind of it's own, however, and she found herself speaking before she had consciously decided to. "I would, if you told me yours." She said softly, opening her eyes to watch him. "I would like to trust you, and I can think of no better way than to tell you my name."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-19-2016, 02:34 AM

Shail jumped at the sound of her voice. Even if he asked, he never expected and didn't even want an answer. Trying to still his too fast beating heart, he pulled back. He refused to show his panic though even as it raged inside him. It took multiple seconds for his heart to calm enough that he could understand her words. Another second after that before he could speak.

"Even so, I don't feel like telling it to you," he muttered with his head turned away toward the floor. He sounded more hesitant now though. He did want to tell his name, but he resisted still. They weren't going to get acquainted with each other. Even if he stayed here, he wouldn't get close to a monster. "Just leave me alone." Shail turned away, stalking back to his little alcove where he dropped to the floor with his arms crossed. If she didn't leave him alone, even his stubborn nature might crack and where would that leave him?

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-19-2016, 04:35 AM

For the first time in hundreds of years, Gemini took no pleasure from the human's fear. She could sense it, clear as sunshine and sweet. It reminded her of fresh, cool water from an underground spring...and yet she couldn't enjoy it. Why? Because it was this human? She sat up, crossed her legs and leaned her chin on her fist, watching the still-unnamed male. She waited while he calmed himself, and listened when he spoke. She didn't answer him- what was the point? He wanted her to leave him alone, and talking to him anyway wouldn't solve anything.

She watched him skulk back to his corner and hummed thoughtfully. What could she do to make this human trust her? Of course that will be difficult, since I kidnapped him. Not to mention the stories he's doubtless heard about me. She mused, still staring at the space where he had disappeared. Perhaps if she showed him she wasn't like the stories. That she wasn't a monster. But how? That was the difficult part.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 PM

For a long time, Shail just sat there in his corner. The longer he did though, the more he became restless. He enjoyed the cave despite himself so inspecting the threads on each blanket felt dull in comparison. He glanced over his shoulder before quickly looking away again. Just how long could they retain this stand off? Eventually, one of them would need to give in. Maybe it would be better if the djinn woman acted like a true monster. Then he could be stubborn without reserve. But maybe this was a false face? Could he make her reveal her true nature like that from the stories? No, he didn't want to attempt that. Rather, he should find a way to learn as much about her as he could without revealing himself.

A growl from his stomach stopped Shail's churning thoughts. He blinked his eyes, surprised because he forgot just what the time was. He bit his finger, still thinking. By now, the other boys had to have informed the village about what happened. Maybe he could be rescued in time for breakfast.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-21-2016, 03:38 AM

After some hours of thinking, Gemini was no closer to a solution than she had been before. The only thing she could think of was to be nice to the human, and that wouldn't do much besides make him think she was tricking him. Still, it's an option... She thought. It was at least worth a try. Sighing, she realized that the air had cooled, signaling that night had fallen. She stood up, deciding that she might as well start right then. She recalled that humans needed to eat regularly, and figured the boy was probably hungry. She herself still needed to eat, just not as often, so she kept food around.

Going to one of the tapestries, she lifted it to reveal a stone door. She opened that, letting out a blast of cold. She had created this storage space a while ago, enchanting it to stay cold so that food wouldn't spoil. She went inside to retrieve some meat and spices, along with a cauldron. She brought them out, magically started a cooking fire and started to get to work on making them a stew. While she worked, she conjured bowls for them. After a while, she coaxed the fire down to a simmer, just enough to keep the stew warm, filled a bowl, and brought it to the human. "I have made stew, if you wish to have some. There is plenty, so have as much as you like." She said, putting the bowl down at the entrance to his alcove.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 AM

Shail didn't notice it at first. The smell could be his imagination, just a trick of his hungry stomach. He'd been lost in his thoughts, still thinking about his mother and the hot breakfast that she'd wake up just before the sun to start cooking. He pictured every ingredient and smell, the texture, and the taste down to the tiniest detail. So when his nose started to pick up the smell of food, he didn't think it was real. After a minute though, the smell strengthened. His hand tightened in the folds of a blanket. Was this torture? He couldn't help but shift until he sat just on the edge of the alcove.

In the cave, the djinn cooked over the cauldron. Somehow, he didn't expect a djinn to cook in any way resembling a human. Did they need to eat or did they eat humans? His heart skipped a beat, but it already smelled like meat so he discarded the idea as illogical at this point. Logic countered fear well for him. But still, it took every ounce of his energy not to crawl out and go to the food. Until she stepped closer with a bowl, he didn't dare to hope.

"What?" Shail gaped, startled so much at first that he just stared at the bowl. Carefully, he pulled the bowl into the alcove with him, then devoured it. When he finished, he felt as if his hunger had only been whetted. This time, he only hesitated a little. Shuffling out, he eyed the cauldron of stew. "...Can I have more?"

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:41 AM

Deciding to give the human a bit of space while he ate, Gemini went back to the cauldron. She took the second bowl and filled it, then started eating. She wondered if the human would eat, or if he wouldn't trust her enough to take something she offered. This question was answered by the scrape of a bowl on stone, signaling the human dragging his food closer. Gemini let herself smile, feeling the tiniest sense of accomplishment that the human had taken her food. He must have been quite hungry, she realized, to have taken it so quickly.

Still, she was slightly surprised to see him lingering outside his alcove, holding his bowl. He looked almost embarrassed as he looked at the cauldron. His question surprised her even more. Did he think she would deny him? He must be more hungry than I thought... She mused, before smiling. "Of course, have as much as you want. I only need a little, and I made quite a bit." She said, gesturing to the cauldron as if to invite him to take more. If he was hungry, he could eat until he wasn't hungry anymore. Suddenly, she wondered if she'd made enough. It was a whole cauldron full of stew, but she didn't know exactly how much humans ate. Didn't young males eat more than others? She hoped it was enough.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-22-2016, 03:13 AM

Shail glanced at the cauldron. She gestured as if to say, 'help yourself'. It was almost like...home. His heart grew heavy, but at the same time, he felt relieved. In the face of hunger, his fear abated, leaving him moving across the cave on light feet. He filled his bowl and sat there, eating without looking up at the djinn. He couldn't meet her eye just yet, but he felt grateful for this, even if he couldn't admit it. Once he'd finally finished, he set the bowl aside. "Thanks," he murmured under his breath. Turning away, he headed back to the alcove, but with much less speed. Did he maybe want to get stopped? He couldn't imagine so, but then why didn't he quicken his feet?

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-22-2016, 05:06 AM

Gemini watched quietly as the human walked to the cauldron and took more stew. She kept eating, though her movements were slow and careful, as if she were afraid a sudden movement might scare him off. She watched him as he ate, fascinated by him for a reason she couldn't fully understand. He was just a human, after all. Nothing she hadn't seen a million times before. Maybe it's because I've never actually watched them. She thought vaguely. When the human- in the absence of a name, she was actually starting to call him "human" in her mind- got up, she smiled. "You are very welcome." She answered, watching him walk away. He was walking so slowly. Was he tired? Not for the first time that day, Gemini was taken by an impulse that she would later wonder about. "Human." She called to stop him. "If you need anything, you only have to ask. And...my name is Gemini." She said. It's only for convenience. She told herself. Just so he's not calling me djinn or monster all the time.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-22-2016, 08:17 PM

Shail froze and looked over his shoulder. For a second, he could do no more than look at her. Gemini? She told him her name, though he never did giver her his. Was she really a monster? Rather, she acted more like his mother--offering him food and kindness that didn't make a lick of sense. It couldn't profit her, could it? He understood the cold way that human minds worked. They only did things for selfish reasons. There must be some kind of benefit, but he couldn't fathom one for this at all.

After a second, he disappeared into his alcove once again. He couldn't sort his thoughts well enough to speak. Only after minutes passed, maybe longer, maybe far after Gemini forgot their conversation, he spoke. "Shail. My name is Shail...." Even if she didn't hear it, he couldn't stop himself from saying it. A part of him though, hoped his whisper never left the alcove even if he'd waste his precious breath otherwise. He'd be angry if it was all just a waste. Safe, but angry.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-23-2016, 05:20 AM

Gemini watched the human, wary of his reaction. Any other human would have instantly taken advantage of the situation. Her name didn't give him power over her, but knowing it put them closer to being on equal footing. He could have attacked her then, and escaped, if he knew how to use her name correctly. So of course she was shocked when he simply walked away without another word. What was this boy? Surely he couldn't be just a regular human. Humans were selfish, cold, cruel beings. But this one was...different.

Gemini didn't understand him in the slightest. Unless he was biding his time to learn more about her so he could escape more easily? But somehow she couldn't believe that was it. She started to clean up the stew as she pondered this. Between the clanking of the cauldron and the crackling of the fire, she almost didn't hear it. Just barely a whisper, the echo of a voice from the alcove. Shail. My name is Shail... She wouldn't have heard it at all if she'd been human. She paused for a moment, hardly able to believe the human- it's Shail, she reminded herself- had actually told her his name. Smiling for no reason at all, she continued cleaning up.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-24-2016, 02:49 AM

Even if she heard him, Shail realized there was no way to know. She wouldn't just burst out repeating his name like a loon. She wasn't going to use it against him now because why now? He bit his lip. He didn't like not knowing, but he didn't want to ask either. So much of the night already passed at this point, but he didn't feel tired after his nap earlier. Being in a cave didn't help, the night's darkness so far away from his senses. In here, candles lit the way, giving a warm glow that rivaled home. But he already told Gemini that this wouldn't be home for him. Tucking his knees under his chin, he let out a sigh.

"Come and rescue me already," he muttered. "Or do you not pray by my bedside anymore?" Was that something reserved only for sick children? Was he already dead to them?

But news of Shail's capture had spread through the village. Together, the elders sat together, discussing what they would do.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-24-2016, 04:22 AM

Unaware of Shail's discomfort, Gemini waved a hand to dim the candles. They still burned, but now their glow looked more like starlight. After putting the cauldron away and reorganizing her supplies, she walked over to her bed and laid down. Truth be told, she wasn't to concerned about the villagers looking for retribution. They were human, after all, and didn't pose much threat to her. Still, she did wonder if they would come for Shail. She didn't intend to let him go- certainly, she would keep him around one way or another- but she thought it might hurt him if his village simply let him go and did nothing.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-26-2016, 02:29 AM

It was well past dawn when the first man reached the top of the hill outside. He surveyed the area with a calm look. Less than a minute later, another man stepped up into the space next to him, much younger but with more defiance in his look. Behind them, a group of the village soldiers waited, armed but still.

"We'll deliver the message first, so stay ready, men," the elder murmured behind him. The head of the village was a large man, his beard neatly trimmed, but even he sounded cautious. They all knew the stories. No one would beg violence against a djinn, but it had been a very long time since the being interfered with them like this. Why take a human? Regardless of who the boy was, it was a matter of village pride to intervene.

"Djinn!" the headman called out over the quiet sands. "We wish to speak words with you!"

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 02-26-2016 at 02:31 AM..

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:35 AM

Gemini had managed to doze off some time in the twilight hours, but it was a restless sleep. So of course, when the voices sounded outside, she woke up instantly- even before the headman called out to her. Sometimes she regretted having such sharp hearing, but there was nothing to be done about it. She stood up and stretched- better to make them wait, let them wonder a little. Once again she changed forms, taking the shape of the wolf from the day before, and loped casually outside to meet the group of humans.

Surveying the crowd, she almost laughed. Part of her hadn't expected them to show up, and she certainly hadn't expected any sort of organized group. The village was progressing, it seemed...not that their ranks or weapons mattered. In the face of her power, they meant almost nothing. Finally stopping several yards away from the villagers, Gemini started the show by growling low in her throat. "Mortals. You are brave, to call upon me...or very foolish." She made her voice low and menacing as usual. "Tell me, what do you wish to speak of?" Of course the answer to that was obvious, and they all knew it. She was only taunting them.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-26-2016, 08:50 PM

Shail startled from his daze as Gemini took her wolf form once again. He froze, for a second forgetting to breathe as she stepped out of the cave. It seemed whatever drew her away came from outside. It didn't have anything to do with him? For a second, a thrill of electricity went down his spine. This could be his chance. Did someone come for him? No, even if they did or didn't, the djinn woman wasn't here anymore and that meant, he didn't have to be either. Hesitantly, he crept toward the cave entrance, mindful of what went on outside.

As the wolf came into view, the villagers staggered back, all but the two at the top of the hill. The headman flinched, but kept his fear quiet, awed and respectful. The man at his side stood tall still, almost seeming to bristle at the djinn's show of power. As he opened his mouth though, the village head silenced him with a hand. "Mighty djinn....you have taken one of our own. This...this is against our peace...from long ago. We have come to discuss with you about the boy, Shail." Despite his hesitant tone, the man spoke as he came to. Below them, the soldiers trembled in their boots. Secretly they hoped it would not come to fighting.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-27-2016, 03:51 AM

Gemini was so focused on the humans in front of her, she didn't hear Shail creeping around in the cave behind her. Instead, she listened to what the village head was saying. She noted the man next to him, who clearly wanted to make a poor decision about talking to her, and decided that he might be fun to play with later. For the moment, however, the village head had finished speaking, and was expecting an answer. The wolf bared it's fangs and huffed.

"Our peace, you say? But I am not the one who broke out agreement. In fact, it was the group of boys who came to my caves just yesterday who caused all of this. They disturbed my rest, threw rocks at me, and two of them were bold enough to enter my domain." She listed the offenses calmly. "This disrespect is a clear violation of our terms. As such, I am now free to do as I please. If what I wish is retribution, you can hardly deny me." She leaned in closer to the head- not threatening, but making a bargain. "I took a prisoner in revenge for the crimes against me. Now, if you want the boy back, I can give him to you...but then my revenge will be turned towards your entire village. On the other hand, you could agree to let me keep him...and I will leave your village alone indefinitely. What say you?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-28-2016, 02:08 AM

Just inside the cave entrance, Shail froze to listen. Pressed up against the rock wall as he was, even the morning light left him cast in shadows. No eyes would see his presence. Even sharp ears wouldn't hear him breathe because he forgot to for seconds that left him turning red and dizzy. It reminded him of his fits and he dragged in a deep breath to calm himself. Every word they said though, he could hear clear as the pale blue sky outside.

They had come for him? Oh god, his village was here. For a second, he let hope take over. But as he listened carefully to the words, they cut him through.

After a pause, the village head turned to the man at his side. They whispered something, their words getting lost in the wind. For almost a minute, they talked in those hurried whispers before the headman finally pushed the younger man behind him, cutting off an angry shout of, "We should just-!"

"You said indefinitely?" he asked, a hint of hesitation in his voice. It was obvious to tell though, he was hooked.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-28-2016, 03:47 AM

Gemini waited while the village head and his companion spoke. Though she could hear every word if she wanted to, she decided to give them their privacy. It would make things more fun, she thought, if she didn't know the answer before they gave it. Although...she could pretty much guess the answer, anyway. How could they refuse the offer she'd given? It had even surprised her a little. Could she really give up the whole village in exchange for one human? She felt that the answer was yes, even though she couldn't pinpoint why, exactly. Finally, the two humans broke apart- the second one, she noted, was still insisting on trying something stupid- and the village head turned to her. "Yes, indefinitely." She confirmed calmly. Part of her wondered what Shail would think, if he were listening.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-29-2016, 02:44 AM

Shail's heart hurt it beat so fast. Why would Gemini offer something like that? He didn't understand. Did she want him to suffer indefinitely? Did she want him? Logic played no role here. Otherwise he might understand the situation more. He just knew the tone of the village head's voice scared him.

"Then there is no way we can say no."

Shail's heart dropped all the way into his stomach.

"I don't know what you want with the boy. I worry for him, but...I speak for the village. Do as you will." With that, he turned away and grudgingly, the man at his side followed. Together, they and their soldiers went back to their home and their families, leaving Shail all alone. It hurt to breathe. Not knowing where he could escape to, but not wanting to stay either, he slipped into the nooks of the cave wall to wait for a chance. He couldn't get past without being noticed now, but she would expect him to be in the alcove still and when she passed by, he would take off. He just didn't know if he could do it.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 02-29-2016, 04:23 AM

Gemini snorted derisively. Even from humans, she had expected a little more of a fight. Didn't they care at all about their own? Typical mortals. She thought, watching them walk away. Anything to save their own skin. Anything to pass off the responsibility to someone else. It was disgusting. Once she was satisfied that the soldiers would not come back, she turned around and headed back for the cave. Her form shifted as she walked, until she was once again a young woman.

Entering the cave, she sensed something was amiss. Narrowing her eyes, she walked further in, past the first chamber and into the second. There was no sound of breathing, no human sounds at all. Was Shail hiding? But...humans couldn't hold their breath for that long. "Hu- I mean, Shail...?" She corrected herself from almost calling him human again. She remembered his breathing incident from the day before and started to worry. Had he stopped breathing? She ran to his alcove to check on him.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-29-2016, 11:58 PM

As Gemini passed, Shail found himself holding his breath. Which was a thing he never did, finding breath an all too precious thing. Once she reached the inner cave, he pulled in one deep breath and ran. The morning outside was bright, but it didn't sting his eyes after looking out at it so long. Up the hill he ran, skidding down the far side in the loose sand. He ran that way on instinct, his feet seeming to know it was home.

But it wasn't. Not anymore. Shail gasped for breath, his emotions as much at fault as his running. He made it farther this time than his last attempt to run. Because of it, he felt oddly confident and his mental state didn't care about his body. As long as he could run, he would. Just, where to? He had nowhere to go now. Even if he returned to the village, they'd surely throw him out in order to avoid the djinn's wrath. He was hers now, no one else's. Not even himself?

The truth hit him too hard. Sliding to the ground, he collapsed against some rock outcroppings unfamiliar to him. It didn't matter though. They could offer shelter against the day. Even as he wheezed, fighting back a cough, he thought about Gemini and that cave. Would she look for him? It was for the best though. Didn't he say at the start that that cave would never be his home. He would escape. And now that he had, it didn't feel the least bit liberating.

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:54 AM

Reaching the alcove, Gemini found that she was not entirely surprised that it was empty. Somehow, while she had been distracted, Shail had fled. How long had he been gone? It doesn't matter. I own this land, I can find him. There is nowhere to hide. She thought, but strangely the thought held no heat. Normally, her anger would have sparked by now, growing quickly into a raging fire of wrath that her belonging was gone. But there was no anger, no spark. Only a strange, heavy feeling. She didn't know what it was- or, she didn't want to know.

After staring numbly into the empty alcove for an undeterminable amount of time, Gemini shook herself out of her stupor. Shail couldn't have run back to the village. They would only have forced him back out. Which meant that, rather than return to her, he had taken his chances with the desert. This thought brought another nameless emotion crashing over her. Shail's lungs were weak. What if they gave out? The sun would cook him if there wasn't cover nearby. And if the sun didn't get him, she shifting sands would. She had to find him before a sandstorm began!

She had no time for her slow human form, so she shed it quickly and took the form of a magnificent, pure white horse and started running. She didn't often use this form, but she was still able to manipulate the form easily. Wind would have been faster, but that brought the risk of a sandstorm. She was thankful for the soft sands, which held the shape of the boy's footprints still, though they were starting to disappear already. Soon she had only a vague sense of the direction he may have gone in. She slowed to a canter, using her ears to listen for his breathing.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-02-2016, 01:05 AM

In the morning, the sun didn't feel so bad, but it beat down hotter by the minute. Shail knew and expected this and yet he didn't realize the consequences until now. He was glad for the outcropping that offered some shade, but he would need water. Why did he have to run so blindly like this? It was stupid, illogical, not the least bit calculating like he was. Didn't he so often in the past plan better than all his friends, but he went along with their plans anyway because he'd rather not voice it. The day they went to confront the djinn was no different.

Shail wrapped his head scarf tighter around his face, glad that he kept the garment on. Someone used to fighting the sand grew into a habit of it. The breeze only felt good now, but he could feel the sands irritating his throat and lungs because of it. He let out a feeble cough and laid down in the patch of shade, coughed again, then sat up. It would be a long day, but his stubbornness wouldn't let him regret it.

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 03-02-2016 at 02:21 AM..

~Wild Spirit Wolf~
H0i!!

Old 03-02-2016, 04:55 AM

A scent. A whisper of sound. Gemini followed the tiniest hints, things that may have been leading her farther from Shail for all she knew. The desert was so quiet, and yet so filled with sound when one only listened. And Gemini was listening harder than she ever had before. Where is he? Still in her equine form, she had begin to sweat under the blazing sun. She sighed- which came out as more of a whinny in her current body- and stopped to think.

Shail wasn't stupid, at least she didn't think so. He was stubborn, yes, but from what she had seen so far he was intelligent. Probably more intelligent than most humans. He may have run far, but he wouldn't have stopped unless he found shelter. There were a few outcroppings of rock in the area, only some of which provided any shade. Extending her senses, Gemini allowed her mind to wander in every direction, becoming one with the desert around her. It took a moment to find them, but- there! A cough, just barely audible, carried on the wind.

She had found him! However, the temperature was climbing quickly. She was familiar with the outcropping Shail had stopped under, and it would only provide cover for another hour at most. Once the sun rose high enough, there would be no shade at all, and Shail would be in trouble with no water anywhere nearby. Heaving out a determined breath, she started on a gallop towards where he was. She would reach him before it got too hot. She had to.