CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 AM

MAPS WITH CHARACTER

In the old days, they were called "satirical maps" or "caricature maps", mainly used for political commentary. They're probably still used that way every once in awhile, but now, anthropomorphic or personified maps are also a fun way to create characters or just stretch your artistic muscles!

Let's make maps into people (or animals) for fun and practice. :3

Examples
How does it work?
  1. The person above you will post a map (a public domain map is probably best!) of a country, a city, a continent, even a weather map! Fictional maps are okay too, as long as you didn't draw them yourself.
  2. Make a post to claim the map. Don't forget to post the next map for the next person to work on while you work on yours!
  3. Turn the map you're working with until you find a "person" or "animal" shape in the map. It's okay to have more than one figure (for example - a woman and her dog or men standing back to back).
  4. Sketch the figure over the map.
  5. Refine the figure. You can add details that don't match the shape/border of your map, if you want.
  6. Finish the piece and await the next challenge!

Rules
  • Follow Menewsha TOS as usual.
  • When you claim a map, post the next map with your claim while you work on your piece. (It is polite to say what the map is of, so people can look for alternate maps of the same place.)
  • Edit your completed piece into the post where you claimed it. (Do not make a new post.)
  • Post at least two stages of your work: The sketch over the original map and your final piece. (example here and here)
  • Your "final" piece does not need to be clean or in color, but the more effort you put into the piece, the better. :)
  • Please use all of the space in the map's borders! At least put a background to fill the empty space if you don't fill it with hair, clothes; etc.
  • It's okay to design a character that has nothing to do with the place you're drawing. If you see a pretty Chinese lady when you sketch over Iceland, that's fine. :) Think of this more of a "shape" challenge than anything!
  • If no one has claimed a spot within 48 hours, feel free to claim your own map and post another provided you've finished the one you already claimed. (To be clear - let's say you claimed the map of London and posted a map of Australia. 48 hours later, and you've drawn London and no one has claimed Australia. Feel free to claim Australia and post a new map.)

Other Guidelines
  • Feel free to comment! Just do not post a map unless you're going to take up the challenge yourself.

Ready for the first map? Here we go!

The file is available in larger sizes here. (Any map of Canada will do if you don't like this one.)

linapoo
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 09-04-2014, 05:55 AM

OH oh OH
this seems so fun 8D

i claim canada~~~

edit/ stage 1

ahaha i dont know what the postal service has to do with feathers and flowers.........

And here is the 2nd map for the next person.
Italy!

feel free to use a different map too~

Last edited by linapoo; 09-04-2014 at 06:30 AM..

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 AM

Claiming Italy. :)

==================

http://klawzie.tumblr.com/post/96768...r-pups-over-on

(Click for larger image.)

Italy! (And pups.)

==================

Next map: France!

More sizes here: Clipart - French outline
(As always, any map of France will do.)

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Linapoo! Your sketch is fantastic. xD I really love that!

Updated the first post to mention that if no one claims within 48 hours, someone can claim their own post and make a new challenge. (More clear language in the post.)

Also wanted to clarify that people can comment. xD

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 09-15-2014, 05:49 PM

I can claim France!
I just probably won't have it ready for a while.
xDD

Germany!

HederaHelix
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-24-2014, 07:14 PM

I claim Germany!
(might take a while)

Here's the map of the Banat region I live in. Really curious about what could come out of this. Sorry I couldn't find just a contour.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 AM

I see something in Banat's shape. :3 If it's still unclaimed by the time I finish with another project, I'll draw it. x3

Can't wait to see what you do, Pistachio_Moustache: and HederaHelix: :3

linapoo
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 09-27-2014, 07:38 AM

Ohhhh! I loveeeee yours CK! So creative. 8) Especially those cute doggies <3
I need to finish mine XD also can't wait to see everyones!

HederaHelix
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-27-2014, 05:28 PM

I'll try to draw Germany as soon as I can :) and can not wait what comes out of the Banat map!