Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 AM

What's a Memory Jar?

A Memory Jar is a small container that you fill with everything and anything that makes you feel good. Did you find a penny on the sidewalk today? Toss it in the jar! Did your friend tell a really funny joke? Write it on a notecard and put it in there! Did you have a really lovely evening at the beach? Take a photo and place it in!

At the end of the year, you can then empty out the jar and relive all these wonderful memories. This jar is your way to preserve and save all the happy feelings that you've experienced in 2014.

So, how do I create a Memory Jar in this forum?

You can't exactly store physical trinkets online, but you can certainly keep track of your memories and favorite photos!

Start by creating your own 2014 Memory Jar Thread. Every day (or as often as you want to), write up a post about something good that happened to you. Write out stories, post photos, talk about your friends, share links to news stories that touched you - Anything that you want to remember about this year. Your thread will then act like an online "jar" to store your best memories.

What can I post? What can't I post?

- Each person is allowed to create only one thread. Sorry folks, but your mules can't participate in this.

- All content should follow Mene's PG-13 Rules and Posting Policies. We know that sometimes you may want to remember adult-happy-funtime memories, but Menewsha is not the place to record these thoughts. Please keep your threads within our PG-13 guidelines.

- All Menewsha's rules regarding spam still apply to this forum. You are allowed to double post within your own thread, but you may not repeatedly override the post merge function in order to gain more gold. Please post reasonably and on topic.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM

So are these basically like journals then? What doe the Empty out part mean? Does that just mean read back on them or will they be locked for 2015?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Yeah, a journal is a good way to think about this. These threads are your place to write down your thoughts, stories, share photos, etc. But unlike a journal, most people only fill memory jars with good things. A journal typically includes all your thoughts and worries - This is instead a way of commemorating the happy things that you might otherwise forget about.

In real life, people end the year by emptying the jar and looking back through everything that they saved. Here, "emptying" the jar is just going though your old posts and thinking about this stuff again. We may end up locking the forum (since jars are only used for about one year), but you won't lose access to your post and memories. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Mikio
(・ω・)

Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM

This is an excellent idea, I will definitely be creating a memory jar! :D

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 01-02-2014, 05:38 PM

I love this idea :)

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 01-02-2014, 07:13 PM

This is such a lovely idea! I was just thinking about starting a real physical memory jar...maybe I'll do both!

derpy_shy
*^_^*

Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM

What a neat idea! :D Ill be sure to start one!

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 PM

Love this idea! All I have to do is decorate mine, then it'll be ready to go! :D

steelmagghia
Not ready for school to start!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 PM

Would it be improper etiquette to comment on posts in other people's memory jars?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 AM

It'll likely vary from person to person - I know that I'd love comments in my thread, but others may want to keep their jar private and clean. When in doubt, you can either PM them, post in their profile, or just go ahead and post. Staff can always remove your post if it turns out that you were unwanted.

And this brings up a good point: If you would prefer not to have visitors comment in your memory jar, then it would be best to add a short note to your first post so that people know.

Esmereina
Self proclaimed ingenius ^^

Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 AM

Okay so forum wise..it's basically you write something good about you in your own thread in this forum...but what if you do more than two posts? since it's like a journal i am assuming it's like you would post like once a day and it will eventually be more than two posts in three days time...so will I get banned on the third day? I am a little rusty on the rules I suppose. Sorry.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post

What can I post? What can't I post?

- All Menewsha's rules regarding spam still apply to this forum. You are allowed to double post within your own thread, but you may not repeatedly override the post merge function in order to gain more gold. Please post reasonably and on topic.

Posting multiple times in a row, within your own thread, is perfectly fine. Just make sure that you aren't breaking any of our spam rules: Posts should be on topic, include more than a single image or word, should not be the same message over and over again, should not include copy-pasted content from another site, and you should not be overriding the merge option multiple times a day just for the sake of earning more gold.

And remember that you don't get banned simply for breaking one rule. Mene still uses the infraction points system. You'll receive two warnings before getting an infraction and you must earn 1,000 infraction points before your account gets banned. It takes a lot of time and dedication to get to that point by just double-posting.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 PM

Oh This is a really good idea! But .. I don't now if I'll use it. I'm debating. It's quite tempting.

Immy
Winter Is Here...I think...

Penpal

Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 PM

very positively inspiring, i like the idea. i think i'll do this. i hope i dont forget about it XD

star2000fire
Star2000shadow's Mule

Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 AM

hmm Can mules have their own thread?

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-07-2014, 02:26 PM

It would be best to only make threads with your main account - After all, these memory jars are so that you can store all the good stuff that happens in your life. Why separate your thoughts or leave out some things?

jake2442
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 PM

I love this idea.my memory gets worse every year.this would help alot.lol :-)