Delcatty
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 PM

Disclaimer: I am REALLY bad at remembering that Menewsha is A Thing (yes, caps is intentional). Because of this, it may appear I've forgotten about this contest (in fact, I'll probably only remember to log in whenever I have a character to add..), but I've made a note to myself about the end-date on 3 different online calendars as well as my phone, so worry not, I will be back in time for the end of this contest. Not only that, but I'll be providing my email at the bottom of this post, and that's the best way to contact me with questions, concerns, and entries. (More on that later) I do have a weekly email subscription to this thread, but the fastest way to PM me is via email.

With that out of the way --

So I have items on here that I really have no use for, and now that I have actual OCs, I think it's time to just get rid of all of them in a bang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizes
Everyone who enters will get a prize. Because of this, and flexible prizes, the amounts I have listed below are absolute MINIMUMS. The chances are good that the prizes will be higher than this, but I figured that going with a minimum would be better.

Ends: April 25th. That's just under 3 months, and on my birthday so that I'll easily remember the date.
First Prize: 120k
Second Prize: 35k
Third Prize: 10k
Excess money to be distributed as I see fit: Subtract 165k from however much my total gold count shows by the time you read this. Some of this may be handed out over the duration auction for reasons I see fit, and anything left at the end will be distributed at my discretion. Basically, this is "I spontaneously feel like throwing money at people" money.

Other ways of winning:

There will also be a referral prize to signal boost -- if you refer someone here and they submit art, you will get an item randomized from my inventory (pictured below). If you choose to refer someone on behalf of a charity instead of yourself, that charity gets two items, because heck yeah charitable acts.
Along with that, everyone who enters gets a randomized item.
If I feel someone deserves a particularly honorable mention, they get between 1 and 3 randomized items.

Once all of those are distributed, I will divide anything that's left in a 5:3:1 spread (again, randomized, unless someone wants to value these things for me >_>) between first, second, and third prizes.
My inventory "pool":

If, for some reason, 40+ items doesn't end up being enough, I'll dip into the 'excess money' pool.
Items Randomized: #2 - Gold Bolero Jacket, #23 - Ghosty Kitties, #25 - Ghost Kitties, #27 - Hallopop, #42 - Order Scepter, #43 - Chaos Scepter, #44 - Sleepy Harp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submission Process, Contacting Me, Etc.
Any questions, concerns, or entries should be directed to me via email, as I'm not good at remembering to check my Mene PMs. My email address is below (handwritten in an image in hopes of preventing spambots from crawling and catching it)

I ask that you PLEASE include "Mene Art Contest" in the subject of any emails you send me so that they trigger the spam exception and I'm guaranteed to see them.

Without further ado, the character(s) you're drawing --
I reserve the right to add more characters at any time. In fact, I probably will. Feel free to draw as many or as few of them as you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D - Red, Half-elf Sorceror/Eventual Rogue
So the backstory on Red isn't as cemented, since the group is sort of group editing currently, but I figure that's slightly less important than visual references anyway. :P Red's backstory in a nutshell: Red grew up with his mother (since he was a bastard, the father didn't really bother sticking around) who moved from village to village as a healer. At a very young age, he showed a talent for magic, which his mother encouraged, though he never was able to quite figure out the healing arts, much to her disappointment (though she never showed it to him). He also showed a propensity towards working with his hands, and once he was an adult, took up an apprenticeship under a tinker as his trade of choice. Eventually, he moved on and became a wandering tinkerer/adventurer. Personality-wise, he's about as gentle as can be, which is surprising, since judging by his abnormal size, he's probably got a bit of orcish blood somewhere back in his family tree. He's also slightly on the slower side, and tends to be naive and childlike in his approach to the world.

Appearance:
Red is much larger than the average half-elf. He stands at a ridiculous 6'4", and is on the more solid side to boot. He tends to slouch to try and make himself seem less intimidating, and almost always has a smile. His name comes from his bright red hair (currant on that chart), and the fact that he has a thin veneer of semi-transparent, red-tinted scales in patches along his body which are the most evident signs of his draconic bloodline. (Blocked out the area, but the scales should be roughly quarter-sized, mostly opaque but slightly showing his skin below, and relatively shiny). His eyes are silver, (D&D Player's Handbook describes his inherited elven eyes as "like pools of liquid silver," but feel free to fudge it and just gove him normal eyes that are colored silver *cough*). His ears are pointed and slightly larger than normal, but not to the extent of a full elf. For his hairstyle, I sort of accidentally stumbled upon the clothing reference, and honestly, that hair is perfect in all but color, just a bit of a tiny picture. ><

Rough clothing reference. Ideally, the detailing should be a little less ornate, but if you really want to go all out (since I know that's the sort of thing where that's the most fun part of a picture for me) feel free to. Also, feel free to make the coat any color you'd like, as he's got multiple of the same coat. (He's very particular about certain things, and since he liked the comfortable fit of first, brown coat he had, he got the tailor to make him the exact same coat in many other colors as well)

In sheaths (one per hip) at his side should be two simple daggers, and a light crossbow strapped to his back.

His arcane focus is a glass orb (think like this size except made of glass instead of reflective material) with a small crystal bird inside it, except slightly red-tinted instead of blue. (For size comparison, the bird should fit head-to-tail within the orb at the base with a little room left over, and should be in the pose of the picture). When he casts a spell, the elements of the spell begin to swirl inside his focus before being released into the spell.

For pose, I'd ideally like him to be midway through casting a spell (think casting pose, holding his arcane focus, and maybe with some slight hints of fire in his other hand), but if you have another idea, feel free to surprise me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D - Glory, Tiefling Fighter
Glory (named Damaia by birth) is a gladiator by training. Everything she does, she tries to do as flashily as possible. Fame for the sake of fame isn't really her goal, but glory for glory's sake, well, that's the entire reason she took her new name. Pose would probably be confident, possibly even cocky. More detailed backstory on pastebin.

Tiefling image
Her skin is more of a red than purple, and her hair is just basically black.
Instead of mage robes, though, she wears leather armor. Leather armor (put grey cloth instead of bare skin for the chest, though the arms can be bare). She uses a Rapier, keeps a whip at her side, a longbow+quiver on her back, and a red shield with black-gold trim + sword design (see instagram figure). Horns should look like this.

Instagram with pictures of the miniature I have painted of her. Please note this isn't 100% accurate -- it's made to look like a human, so the horns and tail (which should be 4-5' in length and reasonably thick) are missing from it. Also, her armor should be darker, but this was a preliminary coat for a rush D&D session, so I didn't really have time to mix all the proper paint. The hair style is accurate enough, and the shield is perfect.
I drew a preliminary sketchy drawing, though a few things have changed since (no cloak, forgot the bow, different horn shape, also her eyes should be solid black whoops, and also the shield design changes (see the miniature)). Link.

Not everything needs to included by any means, but I figured I'd include it all. The whip is pretty important to her backstory, so I'd probably like that in every picture (feel free to just leave it coiled and attached to her hip though), but other than that, I'm pretty much open to anything you want to suggest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D, Merron of the Forest, Quarter-Elf Druid
Merron spent most of his life in one forest or another, and took to Druidcraft like a fish to water. It was in the forest that he met the mother of his daughter, though she left his life soon after, while he remained in the forest. Almost two decades later, his daughter showed up, pursued by the bandits which had murdered her mother, and which soon made quick work of his forest. Merron barely managed to escape with his life, and now holds blind, festering rage in his heart towards bandits. More detailed backstory on pastebin.

Instagram with pictures of the miniature I have painted of him

Merron has a full beard + accompanying mustache, as seen in this picture. You can actually make it even thicker than that (not too much longer though, please) if you'd like, but that's the minimum. Using this color chart, his skin tone would fall under Syrup and his eyes would be Brown, while on this color chart his hair would be Spider.

He carries a simple, round wooden shield (no metal anywhere) and a thick, gnarled quarterstaff slightly taller than he is (the staff is about 6', while he's 5'7"). He wears robes with a brown-and-green mossy/camouflage pattern, and a bear cloak. View instagram for the figure for references of this.

Bonus points if you somehow include a larger-than-average brown bear motiff in the image somehow (one suggestion might be to change his shadow into a bear like this image does with a leopard, use a reflection in water, or just have it be a hinted-at presence in the backdrop
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D, Kerole Flynt and Adrenia <last name>, Tiefling Bard and Tiefling <class>
please note that you are not required to draw a couple picture, however, if you plan on drawing one individually, I currently would prefer art of Kerole (the guy) since I won't be playing Adrenia for at least a few months, likely at least a year. [b]If you do a couple picture, I would love if you could include the red-and-yellow lily from the figure. It could be held, or it could be a background element, or it could even just be part of a border, but I would strongly prefer to see it included.

Kerole grew up as Tiefling Nobility in a city where such a thing was not considered any stranger than Human or Elven nobility. At some point in his youth, he met Adrenia, a female tiefling noble who could be described as despondent in the best of moods and 'wasting away to nothing' in the worst of moods. She probably didn't live in that city, but rather, in a nearby one. Her backstory is far less developed, as she's going to my character in a future campaign so I may need to edit details at that point that I don't know in advance.

Anyway, thanks to Kerole's vast knowledge of interesting stories he could share from the books he had read as a child, he started to cheer her up little by little. Every time they met, she would ask him to tell her a new story, and this continued for several years, until he finally ran out of stories to tell. She immediately sank back into depression, and he pledged to her that he would set out as an adventurer and scour the world for new tales to tell her, both of his own deeds, and those he heard in various taverns and gatherings across the land. He left her with an enchanted fire lily that was tied to his life essence, so that she would know he was okay, since if he ever died (and didn't get resurrected because death is hardly permanent in gaming, even tabletop gaming...), it would turn grey and wither into nothing.

(yes this reads very much as a reverse Scheherazade kind of thing. This was unintentional and I realized it later and decided, sure, I'll just add more detail to make their relationship a genderbent version in a way because why not)

Kerole
Figure, he's the man on the right.

For the coloration of his hair, skin, and outfit (not design of the outfit though), look at Apollo from Smite (though obviously minus the weird yellow-orange glow on his fingers). On top of that, his outfit should also have a golden sheen to it. His hair should be roughly shoulder length, like Aragorn from the LotR movies, except thicker. His horns should be VERY prominent, as seen in these very rough horn references. He should also wear a Symbol of Sune on a golden chain around his neck, though it may dip into his robes if you're as lazy as I am in your drawing/just don't feel you can get it accurate.

I was unable to find a good reference picture for his outfit, but honestly, the figure is pretty much spot on. He wears a billowing robe/tunic thing that drapes across the front with the under part of the ensemble held in place by a brown belt embellished with gold embroidery. The neckline is wide and sweeping, and basically is more of a 'shoulder line' than a neckline. It has the same brown-with-gold-embroidery coloration.

Kerole could be carrying a red-and-yellow lily, a heavily-decorated lute, a silver flute with all sorts of fancy engravings, a dulcimer (his would be more fancy than that, but that was the best I could find. feel free to go crazy on designs/scenes carved into the wood), or a super decorative longsword hilt idea here. None of these are mandatory, but they're all important parts of his character, so I figured I'd list them.

Adrenia
Figure, she's the woman on the left.

Her skin should be very, very fair, and here's a few very rough horn reference doodles. Her hair

The best reference image I found for her dress is this dress -- but since it's not exact, there's a few modifications. There should also a light blue sash (arctic on this color chart) that sort of drapes at the waist, as seen on this artwork, except not in those colors. There shouldn't be embroidery across the entire top -- only at the top of the neckline. Think something as ornate as this except only in about an inch to a two inch margin for the neckline. The dress should have a silvery sheen to it.

She should have a silver circlet in her hair, which speaking of which, should be similar to this style. She should also have a silver semi-glove-esque bit of metal similar to this picture except in silver instead of gold.

Ignore the thing in her hands (is that like a flower crown even?) in both the figure and the concept art -- that's not part of my character.

Last edited by Delcatty; 05-07-2015 at 05:55 AM..

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you'll be leaving us, but I do hope that you are having fun where ever you are!
I have already subscribed to this thread and will definitely work on an image for it!

All the best, Delcatty!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 AM

Aww hearing about people leaving sucks. :(

However this is the second art contest that I've subbed to today. :) Yay more art! :D

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 02-04-2015, 02:47 AM

I love DnD characters! I have a tiefling too, although he's more NPC since the DM handles him more than I ever did. XD
Sorry to hear that you're leaving, but I hope life is good to you!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 02-04-2015, 04:35 AM

Sent something out I hope it finds you threw the cyberspace. XD

Delcatty
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-05-2015, 03:43 PM

First entry received yesterday, and first entry prize successfully sent out today. :)

Thank you to everyone for the well-wishes. ^^

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 02-05-2015, 10:12 PM

Yay! :D Thank you. I wasn't expecting anything yet. XD

Delcatty
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-09-2015, 03:28 AM

Added another character to the roster that can be drawn. :)

@Nephila *coughyoucanstillearnmoreprizesandIloveyourartcoug h*

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 AM

Oh Cool. I probably will be for sure. The first one was just to get an idea about her hair. XD Happy you like it.

The black and purple thing is called Chaos Scepter.

namicat101

Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 AM

Oh yes this is a 2015 contest *u* Saw one that was on the front page from 2014 ;A;
Imma think about it, nice time length <3

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 02-12-2015, 01:26 AM

Woot! Those were pretty much my thoughts too nami. XD

Ivvy
Fashionably Late

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Ivvy Send a message via Yahoo to Ivvy

Old 02-21-2015, 05:00 PM

Interesting.... I shall read up on the characters you want and see if its within my skill set. :)

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 03-12-2015, 06:43 PM

Chikyu: Chi!~ you may interested in this :)

I will be joining this contest :3

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 06:59 PM

Holy cow milk! What a contest!
Sumi, thank you for pinging, it was really thoughtful of you
That's great, and I will definitely enter as well!

So there are two OCs so far?

Last edited by Chikyu; 03-12-2015 at 07:02 PM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 03-12-2015, 07:16 PM

Yup there is just two OCs so far!

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 07:19 PM

Okie dokie!

Last edited by Chikyu; 03-12-2015 at 07:38 PM..

Delcatty
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-13-2015, 04:33 AM

There's actually a third (kinda a fourth too if you count his lover...) character that I'm working on trying to find adequate reference pictures of, but I've been super busy the last couple days so it's been slow going.

If someone could remind me how to do the @ thing on Mene, I could ping anyone who's interested once I'm finished.

preview of the new characters' figures for anyone who's interested

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-13-2015, 03:26 PM

Delcatty: Oh okay, and yes, I want to wait until all characters are uploaded
so the way you ping is @ username;
No space between @ and the person's username, okay? :)

Delcatty
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-15-2015, 05:52 AM

Chikyu: since you expressed interest, and Nephila: since you've actually entered (also, sending you your second entry prize now, sorry for the delay. it's been a SUPER busy couple of weeks IRL.)

Two new OCs have been added. :3

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 03-15-2015, 04:46 PM

Delcatty: I expressed interest too! and I refered Chikyu :( why you skip over me?

---------- Post added 03-15-2015 at 11:48 AM ----------

zyne: and Xogizmoox:

:3 spread the word guys!

Delcatty
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM

PrincessKasumi: Sorry, my bad; was rushing to try and finish everything and must have missed your post. I didn't intentionally skip you.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 AM

Yay! More OCs to draw~

Delcatty
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-11-2015, 02:45 PM

Oops, thought I was done with OCs. Turns out I thought wrong, oops. Turns out I could use reference pictures for Red, though the contest is nearing its completion. As such, if no one objects, and since I still have tons of items not given out (only one person has actually entered so far, albeit with multiple amazing entries), I'm going to incentivize making art for Red by giving out three random items from my inventory on receiving an entry for Red instead of one.

Also attempting to ping people who expressed interest to remind them that there's now officially two weeks left to get in comparatively last minute entries. :3
Mythos: Nephila: Ivvy: PrincessKasumi: Chikyu:

Reminder of Red's information, since the first post has a lot of characters now --
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D - Red, Half-elf Sorceror/Eventual Rogue
So the backstory on Red isn't as cemented, since the group is sort of group editing currently, but I figure that's slightly less important than visual references anyway. :P Red's backstory in a nutshell: Red grew up with his mother (since he was a bastard, the father didn't really bother sticking around) who moved from village to village as a healer. At a very young age, he showed a talent for magic, which his mother encouraged, though he never was able to quite figure out the healing arts, much to her disappointment (though she never showed it to him). He also showed a propensity towards working with his hands, and once he was an adult, took up an apprenticeship under a tinker as his trade of choice. Eventually, he moved on and became a wandering tinkerer/adventurer. Personality-wise, he's about as gentle as can be, which is surprising, since judging by his abnormal size, he's probably got a bit of orcish blood somewhere back in his family tree. He's also slightly on the slower side, and tends to be naive and childlike in his approach to the world.

Appearance:
Red is much larger than the average half-elf. He stands at a ridiculous 6'4", and is on the more solid side to boot. He tends to slouch to try and make himself seem less intimidating, and almost always has a smile. His name comes from his bright red hair (currant on that chart), and the fact that he has a thin veneer of semi-transparent, red-tinted scales in patches along his body which are the most evident signs of his draconic bloodline. (Blocked out the area, but the scales should be roughly quarter-sized, mostly opaque but slightly showing his skin below, and relatively shiny). His eyes are silver, (D&D Player's Handbook describes his inherited elven eyes as "like pools of liquid silver," but feel free to fudge it and just gove him normal eyes that are colored silver *cough*). His ears are pointed and slightly larger than normal, but not to the extent of a full elf. For his hairstyle, I sort of accidentally stumbled upon the clothing reference, and honestly, that hair is perfect in all but color, just a bit of a tiny picture. ><

Rough clothing reference. Ideally, the detailing should be a little less ornate, but if you really want to go all out (since I know that's the sort of thing where that's the most fun part of a picture for me) feel free to. Also, feel free to make the coat any color you'd like, as he's got multiple of the same coat. (He's very particular about certain things, and since he liked the comfortable fit of first, brown coat he had, he got the tailor to make him the exact same coat in many other colors as well)

In sheaths (one per hip) at his side should be two simple daggers, and a light crossbow strapped to his back.

His arcane focus is a glass orb (think like this size except made of glass instead of reflective material) with a small crystal bird inside it, except slightly red-tinted instead of blue. (For size comparison, the bird should fit head-to-tail within the orb at the base with a little room left over, and should be in the pose of the picture). When he casts a spell, the elements of the spell begin to swirl inside his focus before being released into the spell.

For pose, I'd ideally like him to be midway through casting a spell (think casting pose, holding his arcane focus, and maybe with some slight hints of fire in his other hand), but if you have another idea, feel free to surprise me.

Again, all entries should be submitted to me via email to ensure prompt receipt.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 04-11-2015, 02:48 PM

I am still interested and definitely entering! Even if it's last minute, it's just that I've had a lot of things going on academic wise, but I will still enter!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 04-12-2015, 01:49 AM

Ooo. I'm working on a couple image of your Teifling pair right now. I think I can swing both finishing the couples pic and do one up for red too. I hope you get more people entering.

Not finished sketchy thing. I'll send the finished one to e:mail why I'm done: