xoarchangel
The Last Of Her Kind
Send a message via MSN to xoarchangel

Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 AM

I'm not someone who cans it down and re-read a series - it seems like a waste of time. But I would re-read Night World series, Song of the Lioness / The Immortals , and HoN! (House of Night) Fav series ever!

Chattonne
Gamer Geek Girl

Old 02-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Most of my read-them-over-and-over-and-over-again books are comedies. I'm not sure why that is.

Good Omens - One of the funniest books I've ever read. I've actually bought this book 5 times because I keep giving it to friends.

The Princess Bride - I saw the movie first when I was a kid. I still love the movie (I can recite most of it by heart). I actually avoided buying the book for a while, because I could only find the "Abridged" version and I wanted the full version. It took me a while to figure out that was part of the joke. :D

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, Talking to Dragons) - I think the last book in particular would make an excellent movie. More so than the other books, when I'm reading that one I can picture how the scene would look in my head.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - I'm currently reading And Another Thing, the newest book in the series (written by Eoin Colfer). I thought I was going to be disappointed, but I've been pleasantly surprised by it so far.

YumikoYoshihana
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-24-2010, 04:49 AM

What Happened to Lani Garver

The most underrated book i have ever come across. Stuck in the back of the teen section, most people will never even read the title, let alone pick up the book and read it. Teen books have a stigma that i completely understand, what with things like twilight and the sisterhood of the traveling pants (the latter, while not being bad at all, still typically teen girl and thus not appealing to a wide group of people)

But when i'm in the situation to rec a book, this is always the first title past my lips. It is inspiring and moving and heartbreaking and hopeful and beautiful, just beautiful. I've been reading it at least once a year since i first discovered it in the eighth grade, and i am now a freshman in college. Every person on the planet should read this book, i think, because the lessons are important for all. If you EVER see this book, pick it up and read it. It's not very long, its an easy read, and it's wonderful.

Runes
*^_^*

Old 02-24-2010, 05:14 AM

The Lost World
The Princess Bride!- A girl can dream can't she?

moana
musing muse

Old 02-24-2010, 01:42 PM

Some of the books i love re-reading are STRUCTLY BUSINESS & THE ALCHEMIST.

blankgirl
*^_^*

Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM

The cronicles of Narina, my dad read it to me as a child before I even knew how to read, I understand it better now that I'm older but it was a good way to get me into reading ^_^

Jethren
Void Elf
Send a message via Yahoo to Jethren

Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 PM

For me, it's just a few series that have captured my imagination, so that I reread the whole thing again and again. To be specific, three series, by three different authors...though I suppose there will also always be a special place in my heart for any of the Catfantastic, books.

First of all, The Lord of the Rings plus The Hobbit. I saw an animated version of The Hobbit years ago, that inspired me to read the book. I loved it. When I learned there was a series, The Lord of the Rings, that continued the tale...well, I just had to read it too. The years have marched on, but this is one set I always come back to without fail. I even read the Silmarillion once, though I have no desire to read it over again.
xD

Next up, The Chronicles of Narnia. I've read them chronologically, I've read them by publication date. I've even read them in long marathon sessions. I even replaced my entire collection with hardbacks when the set was republished in chronological order.

Finally, a trio by Tad Williams whose series name eludes me. I think it was "Sorrow, Memory, and Thorn", however, I'm not quite certain. The books are entitled, in order, "The Dragonbone Chair" "The Stone of Farewell" and "To Green Angel Tower". They're an excellent fantasy full of twists and turns, sorcery and elven cities...with just a slight sci-fi undertone, if you look for it. They're masterfully written, and one of my biggest regrets is having lost my set of the series!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTeacup View Post
By far, the best is Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks. I love her writing style and the realistic characters and the vivid/complex plot. I fell in love with this book. Genius Squad by the same author is the second book in the series and I also read it rather religiously, but the first was definitely the finest.
Really? To me the "Genius" books were a bit contrived. Also, they seemed to be more of the way genius seems to an outsider than a good example of how a highly intelligent mind thinks. Not to say that I myself am any genius, but I found the portrayal a bit childish. Personally, if you like the style, I would recommend the H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute for Villainous Education) books. I personally liked them much better. I think the realism was a bit better, while still having all the flair and humor of over-the-top comic book storytelling.

@Chattonne: I saw your post after posting mine, and immediately felt ashamed for forgetting two worthy additions to my list. Hitchhikers is an excellent series (I also like "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by the same author...unless I misremember). Plus, how could I forget "Good Omens", the most repaired book of all time. I'm glad to see someone remembered these great books, even if I forgot them.

Last edited by Jethren; 02-24-2010 at 11:45 PM..

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM

The Divine Comedy by Dante Aligheri. <3 I never get tired of it.

Also the various fairytales that I read growing up.

And King Arthur by Sir Thomas Mallory. I never ever ever get tired of hearing about King Arthur and his knight's exploits. D: It's like crack for me.