carzeemumbear
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 AM

The Thorn Birds. Ugh, I had to think for a couple of weeks but that's the one. Nasty people doing nasty things to each other and really depressing people getting walked all over. Why would I want to read that? But, having said that it was a best seller, a huge hit and a sensation amongst the literati so I guess I'm just an ignorant Pleb. Carzeebear thinks so cos I liked Twilight.....all of them.... especially the second one. :P

alonegirl-rocks-the-world
As long as you remember her, you...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 AM

Oh Gosh a book I hated?

I could never never finish The Hobbit or any of the Lord of the Rings. Any book that can spend like 4 pages describing cloaks on hooks is a bit too detailed for me.

Unfortunately, I'm also burnt out on a lot of the "Young Adult" fiction today. It's either "OMG MY LYFE IS SOOO BADDDDDDDD" or "OMG PUBERTY IS SO CONFUZING" and neither one is very appealing to me at this point in my life. . n.

but if anyone gets the chance, give Joey Comeau's "The Girl Who Couldn't Come" a read. It's brilliant and I am in love with it. </shameless plug>

colorsbold
barely present

Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM

My goodness, some of you are breaking my heart! Ender, Phillip Pullman and The Hobbit? I'm a little crushed. :(

I could not, for the life of me, get through Moby Dick. I tried really hard, I swear. If you want to talk lengthy and unnecessary description...

Maybe I should try to reread it now that I've actually gone through puberty and left middle school, high school, et cetera... but looking at that obscenely large tome gives me the shivers. Did anyone like Moby Dick who wants to convince me to read it? I want to be a good person and I want to be well-read, but I just can't work up the will to ever look at Melville again.

Nashawryn
Book Zombie
Send a message via Yahoo to Nashawryn

Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 AM

I would have to say that the most horrid book I have ever read was The Ill-Made Mute, book one of the Bitterbynde series by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. It sounds interesting on the back, but I just couldn't get into it, the story was drawn out way too much, the pace was slow as a snail, and I think the author did a lot of detail typing to fill space, which I hate. Yes, the grass is green and waves in the wind, do I have to know exactly what kind of grass it is, or that there are flowers in it and a snake by a tree, when those things have nothing to do with the plot? NO, I do not! I only got 60 something pages in and had to stop reading, which is a shame because it was on sale when I bought it so I bought the second one in the series too. Needless to say, I'm never reading the second book.

Also, I could not stand Lord of the Flies. I hated reading that book for school. In fact, I read ahead of everyone else, just so I wouldn't have to listen to them read it out loud in class. Am I bad for hating that wretched book? ;-;

Last edited by Nashawryn; 05-13-2011 at 01:19 AM..

colorsbold
barely present

Old 05-13-2011, 01:46 AM

Nashawryn:
You're not bad for hating it!
But I'm really curious as to why you hated it.
Was it because of what happened to Piggy?
That messed me up too.

Nashawryn
Book Zombie
Send a message via Yahoo to Nashawryn

Old 05-13-2011, 02:11 AM

I didn't like the way the boys started acting towards the end of the book, and I know there were other things I didn't like about it, but I can't remember specifically what at this point. I read it about five years ago.

Itch
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM

Twilight...I stopped reading it halfway Bella was explaining Edward's looks. I also hated Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice >:I I only read Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre because I was forced against my own will. Twilight, because my friends said it was a "good book".

Okay, you know what, any purely romance novel bore me to death.

say-i-love-you
(◎_◎;)

Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 PM

I had to read To Kill a Mockingbird in my freshman year of high school and it was like torture. My teacher loved the book and said it was her favorite but I never got into it. It was two different stories combined and neither interested me. The movie was just as awful only shorter.

Ode
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 AM

F A U L K N E R . Especially The Sound and The Fury. I'm in grad school for writing and I LOVE experimental and avant-garde writing, but rgghreogegneroverjhgben. Yes, rgghreogegneroverjhgben. That's what I felt reading that book. I didn't finish it.

I also hated Heart of Darkness. I couldn't wrap my head around it. Historically important, but the story itself never thrilled me.

Twilight was also a steady disappointment. I felt like the story had so much potential to actually carry some sort of message and moral for young readers, but--nope! It was so aggravating to read, especially the last book, but I trucked on though because of curiosity, groaning all the way.

colorsbold
barely present

Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 AM

@ Ode:
Oh my goodness!
I hate all of the things you just hated. A lot! Friend! :hug:

Faulkner especially. God, that man... If it makes you feel any better, his short stories are not nearly so hideous as his novels? I was forced to read "Barn Burning" for a literature course and it didn't make me want to bore my eyes out. :)

chronic_heartbreak14
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 AM

The Tapestry by Henry Neff.

i despise this book with a passion i can liken to none before. i read it all the way through, and the only thing i have to say about it is PLAGIARISM.

it is COMPLETELY knocked off of Harry Potter. The boy's mother is missing, he has a father (different from HP) but he gets invited to attend a secret school for magically gifted kids (HP synonymous). alright, no big deal, it happens... except they're both notified by a LETTER!!!

Then it gets more suspicious. There's a games keeper that Max is totally friends with (Hagrid and Harry), Max has 2 friends that stay with him through all the books (cooper and whatever, go with ron and hermione). And Harry AND max are BOTH destined to defeat some sort of greater evil, for Harry its Voldemort, for max its somebody idc i think its Astaroth but i'm really not sure and i don't want to look it up.

everyone gets an animal. in harry potter they bring their own, but in tapestry they get one when they get to school. still very suspicious.

At the end of book 1 of Tapestry, Max is kidnapped by 2 minions of Astaroth and they use his blood to brew an elixir that will bring Astaroth back to life. SOUND FAMILIAR???? well it should, BOOK 4 OF HARRY POTTER aka THE GOBLET OF FIRE has harry having his blood given against his will to make a potion that will restore voldemort to power.

Also, i believe in Tapestry there is a place on the school grounds called The Forbidden Zone, not too sure about that point though. my friend, who really loves the damn thing, said so.

if that point ^ up there is in fact true, then i will be forced to slap somebody. REALLY? the forbidden zone? get some damn creativity Henry Neff.

Anyway i really hate that book, and that is why :3

R. Wiggly
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to R. Wiggly

Old 05-22-2011, 03:59 PM

I will not hate on a book that I think is too dry (or something similar) because honestly, I think that's my fault and my own personal preference.

However, I will hate on Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed because of what was basically going on in it. The main character (who actually has my name, that's why people suggested I read it) basically tries to justify her horrible actions and the story, since it is hers, sides with her. I could not get through the first 10 chapters. I had to put it down.

GHOSTSMILES
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 AM

Heart of Darkness.

I just. HATED. This book. So very much.

Anaxilea
Slacker Queen
Send a message via AIM to Anaxilea Send a message via MSN to Anaxilea Send a message via Yahoo to Anaxilea

Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTSMILES View Post
Heart of Darkness.

I just. HATED. This book. So very much.
Me, too. Ugh. I hated Apocalypse Now, which was based off it, too.
If I'm going to read a "War is hell" book, I'll read Catch-22, damn it.

GHOSTSMILES
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaxilea View Post
Me, too. Ugh. I hated Apocalypse Now, which was based off it, too.
If I'm going to read a "War is hell" book, I'll read Catch-22, damn it.
I never saw the movie, and I never want too.

Although tons of people say its good and stuff, and that I'll like it, once I found out it was based on Heart of Darkness, I wrote it off my list.

Aspinou
Blurgh

Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 AM

I hate Dune, I never got further than to the first book, but I hated that one. Maybe because I hated the movie!? No that's not the only reason. Maybe because I really had high expectations for bith the book and the movie before. Or maybe it's because Dune barely even feel like a novel at times. It's so not... interesting. There's nothing in that book that makes me wanna keep reading.

Ok I'm gonna be ripped to pieces now aren't I? Generally people seem to really love Dune. I'm not sure it's ok to hate it... After all, it's a classic.

Last edited by Aspinou; 05-25-2011 at 12:20 AM..

shinigamikarasu
(^._.^)ノ

Penpal

Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Twilight. All of them. It was like reading a bad self-insert fanfiction. I've actually seen fanfiction FOR Twilight that was more well written.

Also, Romeo and Juliet. Not sure why exactly, but I just didn't care for it at all.

XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX
Black Alice
Send a message via MSN to XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxIron_Maiden_OpheliaxX

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 PM

The Twilight series mainly Eclipse, made the series look pointless, and Bella look like a hypocrite. I'll admit Twilight was okay for a first time read, but going back now to skim through it. I see a lot of things I didn't before, the very obsession Bella has over Edward at first, mainly because he didn't like her. Or so she thought. It was nothing short of stalkerish. To me the series was one big drivel, and got old after a while. I'll just leave it at that.

Another book I couldn't stand, and was thoroughly happy to be done with was The Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice. I adore the Vampire Chronicles series, but this was just fell short. It was not only boring, and lengthy with the plot being dragged out. Lestat was just incredibly annoying, and whiny I think that's a lot of the reason, no one wants to be around him. He was more likable in Blackwood Farm, because he wasn't the main character. Anyways this one was defiantly not my favorite book in the seires.

Lastly the one that I truly HATE is As Meat Loves Salt by Maria MCcan. Heads up for spoilers, cause this is one book that makes me want to rant. Okay so I adored the concept basically about a guy who is a killer, and becomes obsessed with this other guy. I thought hey! Here's my kind of story, since I do enjoy reading about killers, and basically anything morbid add that with homoerotic and its a win for me. So I get my hands on a copy from the library, and I start it not long after getting it. The first half was amazing with a very morbid scene that made it promising. It continued to stay that way until about half way through, or close to half. Although the writing was well put out there, the story began to drop and started to get boring. The main couple, or supposed to be main couple don't even do much till after half way. And main character whose suppose to be a killer, doesn't end up killing anyone other than the guy in the first few chapter, whose already dead by the time the story starts.

Jacob and Ferris (The leading men.) fight constantly, I mean to the point where you can see there's no chemistry. Jacob being an a hole, and Ferris being a whiny quick to be offended type. This was like this through the entire book, the relationship would get better then go back to the same old same old. By the time I was towards the end, I was never so happy to finish it. Seriously it ended with a wtf type of ending, with Ferris getting with Jacob's ex wife. Completely messed up, and I hated most of the 500 pages it made up.

Poisoned Love
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to Poisoned Love

Old 05-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Right now I'm really disliking Queen of the Damned as well because she writes page after page of detail that doesn't even really matter. I mean, I know detail is important, but three pages worth of it isn't. And WAY too may backstory things that don't have anything to do with what I'm wanting to know. But I'm going to try to keep charging through it.

Another book that really got me was something I had to read in school, A Farewell to Arms. I HATE war stories so....yeah, Hemmingway isn't exactly my favorite author but I didn't have a choice in this book.

Silence
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 AM

Haha, there's so much Twilight hate here. I've never read the books myself, but I did see the movies just for kicks.

I personally hate anything by Shakespeare. I just can't understand the language he uses. I also hate a good number of the books I had to read in high school, such as Tess of the D'Ubervilles and Ethan Frome. And I hated A Farewell to Arms as well, Poisoned Love. I'm not a big fan of war stories, either. And it was just so boring.

chronic_heartbreak14
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 AM

The pit and the pendulum by edgar poe was also a terrible read. it was dry and boring, and just too graphic for me. i can't read torture stories, i imagine myself in their place or having to watch it and i can't stomach it.

HarukiAi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-02-2011, 04:49 PM

The Twilight series disappointed me completely. I was told it was a good series and that I would like it. Well, I read it and every time I would go to turn the page I pretty much knew what was going to happen. I wasn't told by anyone that this person would do this, I just knew because it was so obvious. I read the whole series hoping that something would happen that I didn't already know would and it didn't. The last book was just a disappointment and the movies don't do the books any justice. I just personally feel like it was poorly written and that there were holes in her plot that she just glided over towards the end.

Cat Eye
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 AM

There was this book in middle school I had to read....Lydia or something.

I may not have hated this book so much if I didn't hate the teacher who made us read it.

It was about this girl who worked in a loom/weaving factory. It was such a boring book except like two chapters. I wanted to shoot myself/the teacher for making us read that.

Skipe

Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 AM

You guys must've heard this very often, but I absolute loathe Twilight.
Seriously, the author, Stephanie Meyer can't even use proper grammar and "handsomer" is not a word. D:<
I think I really annoyed my friends when I read the book because I kept on yelling complaints with every sentence I read.

chronic_heartbreak14
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipe View Post
You guys must've heard this very often, but I absolute loathe Twilight.
Seriously, the author, Stephanie Meyer can't even use proper grammar and "handsomer" is not a word. D:<
I think I really annoyed my friends when I read the book because I kept on yelling complaints with every sentence I read.
i had that same problem, the whole lunch table is like 'go be a hater somewhere else!'

it doesn't help that i sat at a table of 8 people and 5 out of them were in love with edward XD