Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...
Send a message via MSN to Rusalka

Old 03-17-2007, 09:48 PM

I wish there had been more to the Trickster's series myself. :(
I'm currently rereading the first and will be reading the second right after but it just reminds me how much I wished there was more so I can still laugh at Nawat's misconceptions of human life.

HonoRaven
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to HonoRaven Send a message via Yahoo to HonoRaven

Old 03-18-2007, 02:25 PM

The Crow Man was so cute <3 :lol:

I do hope that she continues with the Beka Cooper story, I really liked Terrier!

mesic
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to mesic

Old 03-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Nawat, my god! <3

I love crows... they're one of my personal animal totems, so I had "squee" fits when I found out he was going to be a big character. x3
He sounded so CUTE, too... most of Tamora's men are hard for me to visualize, but I could picture Nawat clearly... and hotly!

Does anyone else think that her writing style is getting better as she goes on? The first books are still fantastic, and my copy of Alanna: TFA is falling to pieces from reading it so often, but her visualization is amazing.
"Student of Ostriches" was literary beauty. I had amazing kick-fighting dreams after reading it.

HonoRaven
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 PM

She is getting a more defined style... and that is a little sad from someone who has been writing longer than I have been reading ^_^'

but progress is progress :D

I actually would have liked to know more of what happened after The Will of the Empress, she went through all the trouble of adding new characters in the form of the new apprentices in The Circle Opens series, and then just sort of shipped them all off and shoved her original group back together again ^_^'... it was a little hard to figure out what was going on at first because she changed her story progression style quite a bit.

anyone else feel this way?

blu_sour_skittle
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-19-2007, 06:17 AM

*screechyfangirlscream* I LOVE tamora pierce.
I've read all but, like, five of her books of her 23 (I'm sure that's how many there are) books. <3<3<3

*sweatdrop* actually, the circle opens series is the one set that I didn't read :lol: I'll get around to reading it eventually...but it was just a lot different from her previous books, it was weird...her new books are the ones I haven't really read...

Nuwatt is my fave of all her characters, followed by Kel, followed by Ally.

The Protector of the Small series was the first one I read. I found it because we were doing a book exchange (it's where we get 10 minutes to read part of a book and then pass it to the person next to us and read 10 minutes of another book) in class and it was one of the books I got. It seemed so kool that I simply had to check it out. Totally sucked that that was the only copy the library had and my teacher had it for the week. I nearly cried.

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-19-2007, 07:12 AM

I think the original Alanna quartet that she wrote is still the best by far. XD

Didn't like the circle of magic books at all XP

blu_sour_skittle
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 AM

My fave is the Protector of the Small series. I think it's because A) it was teh first one I read; and B) Kel is one of my top favorite characters. Most likely cuz I relate to her more than Alanna also because she is out in the open with her femaleness and she has to live with the pressures of proving herself to everyone everyday. No one ever really doubted Alanna, telling her she couldn't do it just because she was a girl. She had already proven herself by the time she was found out.
But that doesn't change the fact that The Song of the Lionness was kick arse anyhow. :D <3

mesic
*^_^*

Old 03-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoRaven

I actually would have liked to know more of what happened after The Will of the Empress, she went through all the trouble of adding new characters in the form of the new apprentices in The Circle Opens series, and then just sort of shipped them all off and shoved her original group back together again ^_^'... it was a little hard to figure out what was going on at first because she changed her story progression style quite a bit.

anyone else feel this way?
Oh, I was SO disappointed not to see any of the expanded Circle in Will of the Empress! They didn't even MENTION them... but I read on the Sheroes site that Tamora's working on a book about Evvy to explain all of the confusing references in "Empress". So, thats ONE apprentice followed up on... and I could kind of tell that the twins from "Cold Fire" and Keth were "throwaway characters"... but I'm really sorry that Pasco was dumped. I thought he was a good character, and his magic style was so unique!
At least he could've stayed on as a bodyguard to Lady Sandry... :(

HonoRaven
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesic
Oh, I was SO disappointed not to see any of the expanded Circle in Will of the Empress! They didn't even MENTION them... but I read on the Sheroes site that Tamora's working on a book about Evvy to explain all of the confusing references in "Empress". So, thats ONE apprentice followed up on... and I could kind of tell that the twins from "Cold Fire" and Keth were "throwaway characters"... but I'm really sorry that Pasco was dumped. I thought he was a good character, and his magic style was so unique!
At least he could've stayed on as a bodyguard to Lady Sandry... :(
happy again XD
I am glad to hear that Evvy will be returning with her own book... the original quartet better make at least a cameo appearance to keep the ties properly in place ^_^

but I must admit that Peirce is very good at keeping the original characters in her progressive tales

Seika Arai
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-24-2007, 10:32 PM

I love her books. I've only read the ones with Sandry, Tris, Briar, and Daja though.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-25-2007, 03:51 AM

I liked all of her books, except for Trickster's Choice. It just seemed... blah. But then again, I suppose I'm biased because I never seem to like books about hero's/heroine's children. To me, they just don't measure up.

Clavis
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Ehhh. I've read a few, didn't like them. Her female protagonists are such Mary Sues. They're pretty, they're strong, they're smart, they fall in love, they have special powers... it really bothers me. What flaws they do have are either unimportant or are fixed by the end of the series. In fact, I read somewhere that Tamora Pierce outright admitted that Alanna's a total Mary Sue. Hey, at least she's aware... XD

mesic
*^_^*

Old 03-26-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavis
Ehhh. I've read a few, didn't like them. Her female protagonists are such Mary Sues. They're pretty, they're strong, they're smart, they fall in love, they have special powers... it really bothers me. What flaws they do have are either unimportant or are fixed by the end of the series. In fact, I read somewhere that Tamora Pierce outright admitted that Alanna's a total Mary Sue. Hey, at least she's aware... XD
I don't know about you, but if I wanted to read about unattractive, weak, stupid people who never did anything important, I'd spend my time reading the newspapers. :p

Though some of her characters are like that, I think thats a pretty shallow way to approach the books. Alanna is described as being lovely from her experience, but not traditionally "pretty". Keladry is called "the cow" for her height and strength, and Deja is a strong-bodied female as well. Aly dyes her hair royal blue!
If thats really your only complaint... well, Mrs. Pierce can't be doing THAT badly. Perhaps you should stick to the newspapers? ;3

Clavis
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-26-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm not looking for characters that are big walking flaws, either. There should be a balance. How about a character who's highly intelligent and an amazing fighter, but she's socially awkward and plain-looking? Or a character whose speech is so eloquent that she can convince anyone to do her bidding, but she doesn't even know how to sit on a horse or hold a sword? I like characters who jump off the page and become real people, and real people aren't perfect.

As for the characters getting made fun of--that's one of the signs of a Mary Sue, actually. It's a cheap way to get sympathy from readers. "Oh, poor Keladry, people call her a cow! Oh, poor Veralidane, people call her a bastard!" I think there are much more interesting, complex, and original ways of evoking sympathy than that. It's already been done a million times over. Which brings me to say that no, that's not the only reason I didn't like her books; many aspects of them seem too cliche for my tastes. Telepathic animal sidekicks, settings based primarily on medieval Europe, element-based magic... eh, there just seems to be such a stark lack of creativity.

I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to bash Tamora Pierce or anything... >_> I'm just trying to explain why I didn't enjoy her books.

Noir Kalenthiel
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to Noir Kalenthiel Send a message via Yahoo to Noir Kalenthiel

Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 AM

I find it kinda ironic that I discovered Tamora Pierce after I read authors like Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, Sara Douglass, and Orson Scott Card. I read all these so called adult books, and then discover Tamora Pierce's books and end up enthralled. These books are considered young adult, but even to the adult reader, they are enjoyable.

Carly
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 PM

I've read all of her books and I'd have to say that the character I frist loved was Alanna...but then I read The Protector of the Small. I was absolute taken by her character typr....kinda reminds sister of me >>;;

Well, I'll be on my way......But right now I think that Mercy from Moon Called is....very similar to Alanna ...on second thought never mind XD I like Mercy More D:

Shishunki
=w=/

Old 03-29-2007, 02:46 AM

Oh man! It's been 5 years since I've read them. I love them! Okay, I've only read the Lionness (Alanna one) and the next one with the girl that talked to animals. I'm afraid I've forgotten way too much... ^^' But I loved them and I would recommend them to a lot of people. But now I'm a bit older and like more mature storylines. :oops:

Diaga

Old 04-05-2007, 03:39 AM

i love her books! i wasn't so fond of the circle opens, but i at least tried reading one of them.

the song of the lioness quartet was by far my favorite, followed by protector of the small.

Casiana
Word to your Grandmother
Send a message via MSN to Casiana Send a message via Yahoo to Casiana

Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 AM

Her books... are AMAZING.

I loved how her writing stayed mostly the same throughout her books, but I also enjoy how she improved. I remember in Alanna's books, a kiss was described in a sentence. With Daine, it was described in multiple paragraphs XD I really liked how she has character development, lovable guy characters, she makes you want so much for the characters all the time... I get so emotionally involved in her work @_@ I once threw a book at my wall because it didn't go the way I wanted it to XD

Winterwolfgoddess
Miss You Guys
Penpal

Old 04-06-2007, 06:00 AM

Currently, Tamora Pierce is among my favorites authors. I just started reading her books about a month ago.

Right now I am reading the Protector of the Small Quartet.

Other books I have read by her are:
The Will of the Empress
Beka Cooper: Terrier
Trickster's Queen
Trickster's Choice.

I am hoping to of read all her books currently out by the end of the year.

If you are a fan of Tamora Pierce, I highly recommend the author Alison Croggon. Pierce is one of the reviewer's of this author's books as well. In fact, I got interested in Tamora Pierce's books after read the first 2 books of Pellinor ( The naming and The Riddle) by Alison Croggon. Before then, I had been unsure of whether I would like Pierce or not.

Both author's have similar writing styles and feature female heroines.

Classical
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 AM

i love her trickster series & the wild magic series
i think i've read all of the books she's written
the lioness series one was good too :3

the plots are quite unique and fascinating.

Ghost
Send a message via AIM to Ghost

Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 AM

Heh. I've read all of her books that have come out! Dying while waiting for her new Circle of Magic play off series to get a new book...

I don't remember if the new Terrier's Dog series has come out yet or not...but not really anticipating it as much as her other series because it's going to be in first person and I don't really like first person books...though I will read them as they come out since I like Tamora Pierce enough to be a little more lenient in her books.

My absolute fav of her series is probably Alanna since it was my first and I just adore the way Alanna is a gutsy heroine.

The Protector of the Small is probably my least favorite series, I'm not that big a fan of Kel...though I did adore the third book enough to buy it new. ^_^;

The Circle of Magic series is love. I love Tris and Briar. Sandry kinda grates at me and Daja is neutral. >_< I love how Tris and Briar are so awesome together. Woo~! Go Tris and Briar!

I didn't really like the series when Pierce made all of them split off and find apprentices, but I loved Briar and Tris's books! ...Am I predictable or what? ^_^;

Anyways, I could probably go on longer and if you read through all of this, you are one patient person!

>_< Toodles, noodles and poodles!

veen
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 04-09-2007, 06:26 AM

I am re-reading her circle of magic series right now. xD
LOVE IT.
I much prefer the 1st series when they're all together though.
rather than the circle opens when they all leave and stuff, makes me sad inside D:

anyhow, Alanna was my first :3nod:
it was the one that sucked me in, and got me addicted. xD

butyeah, I plan on reading the Protector of the Small Quartet next
I've been hearing a lot of rave reviews about it :3

Feurity
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 AM

My favorite series of Tamora Pierce is Protector of the Small. Mainly because I live to read about Neal, and also because Alanna was kind of just a new take on an overused plot. I disliked Daine (though I loved Numair) so the Immortals series is kind of 'blah'.

I'm really looking forward to the second book in the Dog series, because I like Beka. She's a character that's easy to connect with- you don't have to try and pretend to yourself that you can also read the minds of animals, or use magic and hide your true sex, or that you somehow ended up at a temple...

I really didn't like any of the Circle of Magic series, EXCEPT for the last one (The Will of the Empress). It was much too "Oooo, everything will be fiiiine, there is no evil that cannot be overcome"-ish. The problems in her Tortall set are stretched over several books, so I like them very much.

Pink Colored Pencil
n/a

Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 AM

She is one of the best writters ever but that is my opion. She makes up fantasic charcter for her books. I love protector of the small also her recent book was good too. :D