BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 AM

I thought I'd make a thread specifically to discuss this latest installment in the Harvest Moon series. A bit under construction, so bear with me. :3

From the game case:
Quote:
Trouble Boils Over in a Rural Rivalry!

Years ago, a tunnel connected livestock-loving Bluebell Village with the crop-growing town of Konohana, but boisterous bickering between the burgs created a cave-in and collapsed the tunnel! Build a bustling farm, befriend the villagers, and maybe you can find a way to bring these towns together once again!

Choose from two different villages, each with their own shops, villagers, and festivals!

Take on quests in each town and establish your reputation as the best farmer on both sides of the mountain!

Grow crops, raise livestock, woo a spouse, and start a family!

** NOTE: Please place any storyline spoilers in spoiler bars out of respect for those who aren't there yet. **

[hidetitle=Your Title Here] Your text [/hidetitle]

or simply

[hide] Your text [/hide]

Last edited by BellyButton; 09-26-2011 at 08:03 PM..

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 AM

helpful links
Freyashawk's Two Towns Page has some nice guides started:
Rhea from Ushi No Tane put together a very helpful guide on their forums. Easy to get newbie questions answered here:

Please let me know if you have more links you'd like to see added. :3

Interested in co-op farmin' that bigass multiplayer field? Post or PM me your WiFi info and I'll add you here.

Mene WFC farm pals
x

Last edited by BellyButton; 09-29-2011 at 10:46 PM..

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 AM

"Open!" I only wanted the one reserve post. :ninja:

Does anyone else have this game yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

I've just had it for a day, so I don't have the complete feel for it yet, but there are a couple things you notice right off:
  • There's a message board where you can accept tasks for the villagers, like the recent Rune Factory games. (Yay! Fun!)
  • They put a "freshness" value on things, like in Grand Bazaar. (Noooo! BELLY ANGRY! :-x)

I chose to start in Bluebell, even though that's the "Livestock" town and I always wind up wishing my cows would catch the plague and throwing my chickens into the wall. I normally like growing crops better, you see, but

Minor storyline spoiler?X

the mayor of Konohana scared me. She seems so.. violent. :sweat:

Bluebell is lovely and cute. The mayor gave me an outfit so I could fit in with the locals, and it's adorable. :3

It's like the one in this concept art ~

Bluebell DressX

OH YEAH.. You can play as a girl or a boy. I'm playing a girl for now, but I'll probably start a boy in save slot 2 in case the bachelors bore me.

Anyhow, I'll post more tomorrow. Hopefully there's someone else out there who has the game so we can talk shop! Otherwise this thread is gonna read like the journal of a shipwrecked lunatic. ;D

Last edited by BellyButton; 09-26-2011 at 07:59 PM..

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 PM

(( On spoilers: I'm viewing gameplay commentary as though it's not spoilerish, and will use spoiler tags on storyline stuff. If anybody feels like I should spoiler tag the gameplay stuff too, please say so! I don't wanna ruin anyone's suspense. <3 ))

*clears throat*

So after playing last night I discovered a something that should make freshness less painful on your inventory space. You have a "cart" for your horse, which acts as a mobile storage unit that helps to preserve freshness. You can literally hitch it to your horse and drag it around with you. Both horse and cart can be upgraded, also.

Another nice thing re: inventory management is that your fish and your insects are kept in separate tabs (pockets?) from the rest of your inventory.

You can purchase pets to help with your animals, like in Grand bazaar. Can't afford any yet. :lol:

There seems to be a pretty broad range of wild critters you can befriend in the mountain areas. (Or, in my case, chase and pick up/throw. ;D)

You can take more than one task at a time from the board, and they've got fairly long deadlines so far (one was 14 days IIRC). I'm enjoying that I can grab a handful of tasks and then go out and fill them all, and then return and do my townspeople visiting. Makes it less "run here - run there - run back - repeat" feeling.

It's kind of hard to make money right now with one cow and one chicken and no crop space. Or maybe it's there and I just haven't figured out how/where yet. ;D

Last edited by BellyButton; 09-26-2011 at 08:05 PM..

Mayor Mayhem
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Despite some of it's 'flaws', the game sounds very interesting.

I'm a long-time HM fan, and have/have played virtually every HM game.

The reason I haven't purchased this one yet is because I don't need another distraction from school. xD

(Same reason why I haven't bought Disgaea 4 and other games. D;)

But anyway. Would you recommend this one?

Despite some of its flaws, is it worth it and fun?

Last edited by Mayor Mayhem; 09-28-2011 at 11:36 PM..

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Hooray, another human appears! :glomp:

Hehe, I'm like you and make a point of trying every HM title.
This one has a neat feel to it that is somewhat unique, but I'm not sure yet if I would recommend it to someone who isn't already a die-hard Harvest Moon fan, over some of the other HM titles.. It feels "small" to me, but maybe that's because what I'm currently doing on a daily basis is so limited. I shall play more and get back to you on that! =)

Mayor Mayhem
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 PM

Lol alright, deal! ;D

The latest installment I've bought is the Grand Bazaar title for DS.

I'll be honest; it didn't impress me too much, but I still couldn't help but adore it.

I heard that in Two Towns you get to choose between playing in two towns,

And that there are tons of bachelor/bachelorettes to choose from.

I kindda figured it'd have a 'big' feel, but wow, now I must go do some more research, lol!

aphrodite remix
I am not an adventurer by choice...
Send a message via MSN to aphrodite remix

Old 09-29-2011, 05:24 AM

Yeah I got it last Thurs when it was released. So far I do enjoy it.

@Mayhem - There are not "Tons" of bachelors/bachelorettes to choose from. I'd say there are pretty much the standard amount. One thing I'm sad about is no Witch Princess in this one which I think is complete shyte.

Also, while you do get to chose between towns, depending which town you start in, it provides you with different items. For instance - spoiler - If you start in Bluebell you start with a Cow and Chicken, while in Konohana you start with some Turnip seeds but have a huge area for crops compared to the meager fields of Bluebell. One good thing though is that the farm you would have inhabited in Konohana you can still plant on while living in Bluebell. So you don't lose out on space you just have to go from one side of the mountain to the other to water 2wice a day.

There are other small differences, such as -spoiler- The use of flower colors instead of heart colors to determine friendship. And in terms of using pets to herd your animals you HAVE to get the big ugly dog with the green bow to herd your cattle, while the cute little collie looking one only herds Llamas and Sheep. I have no idea how to get the fishing rod yet, but you can fish for things with your hands which is fun but gets tedious when you have to leave the area and come back for the fish to re-load.

The only thing I did not like was some of the requests from the board. There was no way when some of them pop up that you could get them going by then. As in I received a request from Georgia for a Turnip while I was living in Bluebell and had decided to not do crops, so wasn't able to grow one in time to complete her quests. I believe there should be a time limit from when you accept but not from when it was posted on the board. IF memory serves when I played Rune Factory 2 there was no time limit for requests which was really awesome, so I'm not sure why they implemented one for this game.

Those are the only things I've noticed really that vary considerably since I've started playing, and I'm only on spring 18 in the game. I'd rate it as pretty enjoyable. Not as good as HM DS, but better than Grand Bazaar.

Last edited by aphrodite remix; 09-29-2011 at 05:27 AM..

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 PM

Edit: Nevermind, just found the tools. :oops:

Side comment re: bachelors.. it feels to me like there are fewer options than normal, but maybe I'm missing something or it's just because they're so spread out. Luckily there are more than a couple cute/interesting potential mates, at least. Not like in some HM games where I'm completely appalled by half of them. ;D

Last edited by BellyButton; 09-30-2011 at 12:03 AM..

Mayor Mayhem
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-01-2011, 12:42 AM

@Aphrodite: No witch princess or 'special' bachelor? That sucks man... D;

I can live without them, sure, but I still think that they make the whole concept of the game a bit more interesting.

Well, those they've been in, anyway.

--> I've heard about the different towns, and how one is more European and has the whole 'animal ranch' theme,

While the other is more Asian and has the more 'crop farm' theme.

Can you travel from town-to-town though, and see the other characters from the other town that you didn't choose to live in?

I've actually never played any of the Rune Factory series,

So I'm pretty clueless when it comes to a 'request board' in a Harvest Moon game. xP

It kind of sounds like fun though. Do you get rewards, like gold or items? Or reputation or friendship points? ;o

@BellyButton: Lol! It's so true that a LOT of HM bachelor/bachelorettes were just terrible. xD

Oh! --> I heard there was one bachelor with a split personality? How's that going? ;o

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-01-2011, 02:46 AM

Yes, you can travel between towns, ---> it's just a bit time-consuming at first because you have to travel over the mountain until you're able to clear the tunnel between them. BUT your horse will get you there pretty fast and you can hop off and collect stuff along the way, so it's not too bad. :)

You do get rewards for completing requests. --> Items, gold, food, seeds, tools, and so forth, as well as relationship boosts.

They are also nice because they help break up the monotony of daily crop and animal tending. :)

--> I haven't met the weird guy yet. :lol:

graveyard fenceline

Old 10-01-2011, 05:11 PM

I looked into this, and I loved the idea of finally having BEES. Bees are my spirit animal. ...Not the ones that are mean and sting you, the cute fuzzy ones and the ones that make honey! <3

Unfortunately, the lack of interesting (to me) bachelors drove me off... ORZ I love being able to marry, but... *slinks back to playing A Wonderful Life, and marries Marlin. Or Gustafa.*

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 PM

YES, there are a few neat extras like bees and a fish pond! I'm hoping the bachelor's personalities will come out a bit more once I start getting the heart events.

Have fun with Marlin ;)

ShadowXV
Warrior of light

Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM

is this game out for the Nintendo 3DS?

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 PM

The 3DS version is due to come out later this month. Amazon says Oct 25th.

----------

P.S. I might start over and play a boy, because the bachelorettes seem to have much more personality.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 PM

I really want to play this game. I preordered it forever ago and still haven't gotten it. I should have gotten the DS version. The 3DS version got majorly delayed but it will finally be coming out this week. I'm going to pick it up Tuesday after work. I can't wait to get the alpaca plush that comes with the preorder! I'll have to let you know what I think of it once I get a chance to play it. In the meantime I'm still working my way through Harvest Moon: Animal Parade for the Wii.

----------

Are you f-ing kidding me? I just saw your note about the 3DS version not coming out until the 25. I thought it was supposed to come out in two days but it looks like it was delayed like a millionth time. WTF? I'm honestly getting fed up with Natsume at this point.

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 10-09-2011 at 09:42 PM..