Quantum Angel
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM

So, first off, forgive me if this thread already exists - I looked around and couldn't find it, but if I overlooked something...well, I apologize. :sweat:

Has anyone ever had a moment where it seemed a video game just induced a terrible case of brain gas? That you did something that you just...couldn't believe you did? That you kicked yourself for...yet couldn't help but laugh at yourself for anyway?

I've been having a lot of those lately, since my best friend convinced me to get the mobile edition of Resident Evil 4 for my iPod. Which I've been having a LOT of fun with, despite it having that nasty "condensed book" feel to it and apparently lacking a lot of stuff from the console version as I compare with her...but I digress.

My first "epic facepalm" moment was on the first boss - after roughly 50 tries, I finally defeated the giant! Yay!
....unfortunately in my shock-glee, I wasn't smart enough to move out of the way as it fell and keep from getting crushed. I died and had to do it all over again.

Later on I pulled a common one, only...granted, I could have prevented it really easily. Ashley was being carried off - so I went and took aim at the enemy. Fired.
I had the shotgun equipped, so due to its wide range I ended up killing Ashley too. Oops.
I didn't feel too bad though - it was early in the mission and I was still mad at her for providing the main distraction leading to my worst stupid moment.

It was right when I rescued her - I had just jumped down a ladder, she couldn't follow without being caught at the bottom (why she can't just CLIMB DOWN is beyond me) - but I couldn't catch her because I had been ambushed. You'd think she could see that - but no, she was screaming her brains out for help down the ladder.
Meanwhile, I was surrounded and entirely overwhelmed. I went for a flash grenade in my inventory; it was all I could do at that point - I always close my eyes when I let those things off though; I was warned by a friend to do that due to the flashing (I have epilepsy - I have to be very very careful with games in general).
When I opened my eyes, I expected everything to be stunned - instead I was dead.
Turned out that thanks to that little distraction, I'd gone and grabbed a hand grenade instead of a flash grenade and blown myself up.

Of course this game isn't the only one I've done stupid things on, though granted it seems to be my worst by far. :sweat: However, to list another "brilliant" incident I had on another game:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII: Granted, this was before I knew I was epileptic, and the pretty lights may or may not have been messing with my head - but it was still pretty damn bad. It was during my 100% completion run, on one of the middle-level missions - I kept failing it, seemingly before I even started. There was just one enemy, no matter how many times I hit it, it would not die. I kept attacking, over and over again, and no matter how long I kept up, or how many attacks I dodged...it would still kill me every single time. I didn't understand how, if I was apparently taking 7,000 damage off it with every hit and that was about normal for that area. I once had a single one engaged in combat for 15 minutes and STILL couldn't kill it - I later realized just how sad that was, as it eventually took me less time to win the most difficult battle in the game.
Eventually I realized that the problem was...it absorbed Fire-based attacks. I was using Firaga for near every other attack. :headdesk: Once I realized that, it was just as easy to beat as any other. :oops:

Well, I'm sure I've had more, but I can't think of them at the moment. Anyone have any moments like this to share? I'd like to hear them. Lets laugh at ourselves together!

Veiss Wynd
Character Modeler

Old 08-24-2009, 06:21 AM

I can't think of any at the top of my head. I sympathize with you on your first boss battle in RE4. I've had that happen to me a lot.

I recall lots of falling off of edges cause of my haste when playing platformers. You gotta love it when you kill yourself in SMB64/melee/brawl/ cause of the stage. Lots of stupid happens in that series :]

A lot of my issues also turn out to be technical instead of my carelessness. This one time, I was playing through the Legend of Dragoon on my PS2. I was at the end of the second disc; I was fighting what I believe was the last boss battle before disc 3. I beat the boss, clicked on whatever dialogue, went to that exp and items earned screen you seen in old turn-based RPGs and then alas. After counting my exp, the game freezes. Couldn't do anything about it, so I restarted the system. I had at least saved right before the battle, and so I engaged again and huzzah! Was so happy to beat it again. I got to the exp/items page again and again, to my dismay, it crashes = 3=
I did it one last time. Beat the boss...and it still crashed. I thought perhaps the game was scratched. I looked at it and it looks fine. Later I realized that my PS2 just couldn't read the old games well anymore. I'm supposed to let my bf fix it but he's taking long D;
I'll prolly just keep playing it on my old Playstation. Hopefully one of the 2 I own still work. I just need a controller now =..=

Last bit of my stoopid: Playing on the old GBC/GBA (not sp gba) on dying batteries o ^ o

Hurrr, now I recall. I fall off a lot on cliffs when playing Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess.

Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust
Send a message via AIM to Gary Stargazer Send a message via MSN to Gary Stargazer Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Stargazer

Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 AM

One that stands out for me was several years back when i was playing Breath of Fire 3 on the playstation. i was just playing the game and playing it, just burning through it. it was like my 4th play through or something.

But the game did something stupid i didnt like and i popped the reset button to load my file cuz i didnt like how something turned out. It was at this point i realized i had not saved the game all freaking day. I lost like 10 hours of data... *dies*

Veiss Wynd
Character Modeler

Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 AM

o..o I have done that too. My retarded makes me sad =..=

I just remembered, this one time in Mario 64 when I was just screwing around with the limits of the world. So I was trying to use the cannon that's outside *which opens when you get all 120 stars* and I was aiming it for that picture of peach that's outside the castle *trying to see if there was a secret world* ...and there kinda was.

I ended up in ...i forget what you call those spaces in systems that shouldn't be there...rather accessable: but I was stuck in the area inside of the castle door. Basically, I fell through the picture and ended up inside the castle, past the door. Before me was just pitch blackness of what should be the interior of the castle, but since I had not touched the door, I didn't trigger the code to teleport me into the interior castle map.

It was fun to play with. I like messing with game limits.

Zolar
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 AM

Haha. I can remember playing Splinter Cell once and I was in some sort of parking building when I threw a grenade. Apparently the roof was really low and the thing bounced off the ceiling and hit me. D: I fell asleep playing Super Smash Bros Brawl a few times last week actually. It was 6am and this guy I like (heehee :heart:) and I were playing on adventure mode and I'd fall asleep while I was Pit in mid-air. And in Shrek 2: Extra Large in the level with Bo Peep I picked up a chicken and kicked it, then I was falling out of the sky towards what looked like the inside of a computer. x'D
xoxo

Fabby
KHAAAAAAAAN~

Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 AM

I'm such a video game ditz. xD
I'm always walking off cliffs/blowing myself up/shooting Ashley/ending up stuck because I can't see what's directly in front of my face, etc. The worst is when some knowledge from a prior playthrough fucks with my brain and instead of doing things in the logical order I try to "save time" by doing them the way I remember, which always turns out to be WRONG. D:

Heruuna
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 AM

When I first started playing Last Remnant, I was discouraged that the only way you can save is by doing it entirely yourself.
I have a horrible memory, so when the only way to save is a small icon on a menu, I forget to save A LOT.
Anyways, in Last Remnant, if you die, it goes back to the main menu, and you have to load your last save.
THERE IS NO AUTOSAVE FEATURE WHATSOEVER.

Well, I had been playing Last Remnant for about 2-3 hours when I came across this floor stuffed with enemies. I felt like doing a suicide run, so I gathered about 7-8 chains of them and started a battle.
Died, of course......*Game goes to main menu*
"Hehe. Ah well, I'll just load the autos-..............WHAT? NO. NONONONONONONO. NOOOOOOOOOOOO. I DIDN'T JUST THROW AWAY 3 HOURS, DID I!?!?"
*Insert massive headdesking here*

At the time, I didn't know there was no Autosave, and it totally slipped my mind that I hadn't saved for 3 hours. XP

eCrink
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to eCrink Send a message via MSN to eCrink

Old 08-28-2009, 03:11 AM

When I first played Team Fortress 2, I played as Heavy and assumed that clicking fired the gun, except while playing as Heavy, you have to hold down the mouse.
I twirled the barrel, and sat there the entire match twirling and thinking "What the hell? How do I shoot?" while everyone accused me of trolling.
I'm still a terrible TF2 player, only now I just play as Pyro and get an alright amount of kills.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2009, 05:53 AM

I'm one of those kind of gamers who wants to do everything in a game. Find every weapon, every item, every spell... every secret. Annoying, right?

Some time back I was playing Rule of Rose. Not the greatest game. Combat stinks, but the story really intrigued me. Well I was moving through the game, I was trying to find each record and film canister. The games broken up into chapters and each contains an assortment of one time items. I was doing so well and so diligent. Or so I thought. More than halfway through I realized I had missed something in a previous chapter... and my brain popped. I was all kinds of frustrated.

As said, more than halfway through. I had invested a good amount of hours in this game... and I decided to reset and start from the beginning. :gonk:

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 08-28-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Jane Lucien
Loverhater
Send a message via ICQ to Jane Lucien Send a message via MSN to Jane Lucien

Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 PM

I think I have had so many of these, but the most recent one was when I accidentally deleted one of my characters (my favourite and highest leveled one to be exact) on The elder scrolls 4 oblivion for Xbox 360. D/ The thing is that the game auto saves quite often, which leads the saving file to be overcrowded with saving datas that sound almost identical and due to my urge to keep everything organized I went through that file and deleted all datas except the ones I would need to continue playing the game or so I thought. Well, ended up deleting the last file I had from my favourite character.. Now, after a few months of crying over my loss, I disabled the auto save option and only save when it`s really needed so I don`t have to go on a deleting spree unless it`s really necessary.

Oh well ...

Overton Transpire
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 PM

None of my worst stories qualify, since I Wanna Be The Guy is supposed to generate horrible frustrating deaths.

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-29-2009, 04:08 AM

I can't think of any of these recently, but when I originally got Eternal Darkness, I did something stupid. I was playing on one of the levels with one of the characters who uses a gun. I suck with a gun, and there was a big boss monster, and I had chosen the magic for healing magic in the beginning of the game without realizing. So, the boss was kicking my butt and I was really, really hurt with no way to heal myself when (for some reason) I had to stop. So I saved and turned it off. It wasn't until I came back to play it later that I realized I had made it impossible for myself to continue my game seeing as I was dying and needed to fight a boss.

Lathrine
theatre major from nurse school

Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 PM

I like to play Tribes; Aerial Assault with my brother. c: Mostly because I like shooting stupid bots in the face/toe with one of my favorite weapons- the Laser Rifle. So we're in the middle of storming Storm's (heh) base via a 'secret' chute and all of a sudden we're being shot at. No prob, we can handle 'em. So I duck around the corner, point my nifty laser rifle at them and press down the shoot button before my brain goes on auto pilot. Now, the reason I like the laser rifle is because it bounces. A lot. After a while I register the fact that I'm dead- as it would turn out, I had been managing to shoot my bouncy lasers at a wall... and they bounced right back at my face. :headdesk:

I also have a rather hazardous record of jumping/running/walking/falling/roll-jumping off cliffs, edges, rivers, mountains, buildings and just about anything in the game. o_o; Which works out great sometimes. Right up until I run off the edge of a platform and into a large body of water... when my pixels can't swim. Right after a boss fight. >_<

Tounin
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 AM

Hehe.
I was playing Castlevania 64 today, and there's this one part at the very beginning where you have to climb up these white blocks sticking out of a cliff edge.
Well, after climbing up all the way to the top, I'm standing on the last block, and a skeleton pops out of the ground next to me, hits me once, and pushes me over the edge so I can fall into toxic water which kills you instantly.
D:

So it wasn't something stupid that I necessarily did, but I thought it was funny. XD

TenshiInochi
Shana the super-uper Platypus

Old 09-02-2009, 01:17 AM

Who can play video games without being stupid?

I spent an hour on my little sister's hello kitty game trying to get to the next town, when it took her seconds to go threw a gate XP

On Touhou IP, I finally got to stage five, and then I rammed into a fairy and died XP

Spiderman for the Game Cube. 'Nuff Said.

fatcheehcs

Old 09-02-2009, 04:22 AM

There isn't a game I've played where I have NOT had a facepalm moment. Most commonly they occur in platforming games (even in Zelda: Ocarina of Time where the jumping is done for you...). The one game that sort of stands out at the moment is Ninja Gaiden II. I can't tell ya how frustrating that camera is. You have to play it to realize how monumentally frustrating it gets in the worst times possible. D:<

There was one part in particular that I almost could not get past and for about 45 minutes straight I spent in the same section just because I was missing a little jump. After finally getting through that part I die after getting smacked by some creepy bug thing... >.<

Last edited by fatcheehcs; 09-02-2009 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Enzeru
Her Ladyship

Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 AM

I bought a full set of armor for a pally that was for a different class.

LadyWinters

Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 AM

Windwaker.... would be my epic stupid moment. The part where Link lost his sword and he has to sneak through the castle. I made it all the way and suddenly had a finger malfunction in which I jumped over a ledge and of course got caught and had to start all over again and this was after spending an hour trying to sneak through in the first place!

I swear that was the most annoying part of the game and I had to make it more difficult for myself.

Novariko
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Novariko Send a message via MSN to Novariko

Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 AM

I do stupid things all the time lol.
Like in Koudelka for PS1, you have to press X to go down/up things and sometimes I would make her go up and down the same stairs like 3 times lol

In Persona 3 & 4 one of your party members gets a skill called "3rd Eye" which tells you if a spell will work or not when you choose a target. Sometimes there would be an X or it would say "REFLECT" meaning it wouldn't work, but I'd do it anyways and know I was doing it lol.. :sweat:

In Persona 2 I would always open the map, then close it, then open the menu. Lol I'd always get confused with the set up of the buttons I always have to shout "DAMMIT!"
Or I'd talk to the same person twice in a row because I'd keep pressing X. -.-

In God Hand I'd always forget that the right thumb stick is for dodging not camera.

And in the Legend of Zelda: OoT I would always almost fall to my death because of the automated jumping :roll:

LadyWinters

Old 09-02-2009, 05:27 AM

Windwaker doesn't have automatic jumping so I would just fall to my death. I don't think that's happened yet, well maybe it has and I blocked it from my memory.

Actually I've talked to someone twice before, it's even worse when the dialogue is long and you can't cancel it. XD

Fabby
KHAAAAAAAAN~

Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 AM

Sometimes after playing too much OoT I'll play a different game, forget the jumping isn't automated and fall to my doom. Then everyone laughs at me for forgetting to jump... in Super Mario World.

Shen Woo
Dead Account Holder

Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 AM

First time playing Metal Gear Solid 3, run forward, stand on crocodile, panic, drown in mud.

My friend laughed and laughed and laughed, so embarrassing!

Tounin
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-04-2009, 02:59 AM

Hehe.
I used to have a few mishaps with Halo here and there.....usually involving sticky grenades. >.>
I would throw one at an Elite, and he would charge me, so I would be blown up in the process of killing him.

Alchemist of Anarchy
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Alchemist of Anarchy

Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 PM

In Final Fantasy X-2 I have thrown bombs at my party by mistake. Apparently you can even attack your own party if they are in front of fiends or hold the analog stick toward other members of your party. I felt so stupid the first time I did it and I actually killed myself and had a game over! Grrrr!

Fierk

Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 PM

I was playing Cat Mario AKA: Syobon Action,and I got a mushroom then I looked like a buff bodybuilder and I crashed through the ground XD