Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 PM

welcome to
Oldfarts 'R' Us

A place for all the 'elderly' folk of Menewsha to hang out!

Introduction: Ok I can hear it right now - why another +(insert age here) hangout thread? First off, the original threads have seemed to die down and to be honest I didn't think they had the kind of atmosphere I'm hoping to achieve here! I'm hoping to start from scratch, and I'm trying to encourage the older (+18 and up) Menewshans to hang out here so we can get to know one another a bit better and socialize.. Don't worry, I'm not going to card you, but at the same time I encourage intellegent conversation which can and may include something more suited for a mature audience. (*hopes that's a sufficient enough disclaimer*)

Last edited by Izumi; 07-10-2009 at 06:24 PM..

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 PM

*reserved for further posts*

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-10-2009, 06:02 PM

*reserved for further posts #2*

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Ok! I guess I can say we're officially open for business. Hopefully some of my friends will stop by and chat a little. I'm feeling fairly lonely today, and could use the company. :heart:

I was watching CNN today and was absolutely shocked about the Pool incident in Philadelphia. Not so much because of the fact the group got turned away, but because they're trying to claim racial discrimination. Now the pool who turned them away said that the representative was misquoted, and yes what they said was stupid...but isn't it just slightly hypocritical for them to say they discriminate when they're a camp group of black and hispanic kids? If they were to do a camp for white kids there would be all hell. *sighs* I'm all for social equality, but it's so skewed these days. They don't seem to want equality more they want to differentiate themselves from everyone else.

Hollywood
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-10-2009, 07:18 PM

Speaking of pools, today I read an article online about an Egyptian woman who is suing a hotel she stayed in recently, claiming that her 13 year old daughter became pregnant after swimming in the 'mixed' pool.
It's really sad that there are still people in the world who are ignorant to think that something like this would happen. OPEN YOUR EYES, MOMMA--- your daughter had sex. And she is ashamed. So she is blaming it on the pool. jeeeeez.

Hullo! Hollywood here, aged 25! I had a little mini-crisis over turning 25 a month ago, but I think I am slowly coming to terms with aging :)

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Hiya there Hollywood!! Nice to meet you!! I'm only 26 myself, but talking to some of the younger kids still in school is making me feel like an old fart already! I tell you it feels like Eons ago that I was a teenager...I'm dreading getting older as the more time passes the more of the little things I forget. :P (*hopes husband doesn't read this as he'll probably want to swat me...he's 31 hahaha*)

Holy cow wow that is ignorant...You can't get pregnant from swimming in a mixed pool. They're known to be resilient but I can imagine that if they did come in contact with chlorine they would be killed on the spot...I mean I've heard of people getting pregnant without having penetrative sex but that's just beyond impossible it's plain absurd. I haven't heard that one though. :shock: Even if there wasn't any chemicals in the water it's impossible.

About the midlife crisis - I had a major one at 23. I really hope that doesn't mean I'm going to only live until 46! But yah I kind of had some immigration issues in Britain as well as a bad relationship with the ex husband. Not that he's a bad person himself, but we were both young and naive. Things are much better now. I'm still poor, but I feel the relationship I have now is so much better. :)

Last edited by Izumi; 07-10-2009 at 07:56 PM..

Hollywood
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 PM

My crisis had a lot to do with money as well.
I am in a great relationship, I love my boyfriend. We want to get married but we do not have the means to- at all!
When I was about to turn 25 I was experiencing so much anxiety-- I live in a shitty little house, with roommates that I hate (well NOW it's just me and him but thats another story altogether), I work a crappy job making $12.25 an hour. I don't have a career. I have MOUNTAINS of bad debt... I just felt like I was suffocating.
Sometimes I still feel like I'm suffocating....
I feel like with todays economy there is no way to get ahead... I am probably going to be a renter my whole life... theres no way I could afford to buy a house.
I always thought that playing the lottery was silly, but now I think I understand why people do it.
You can't win the big bucks if you dont buy a ticket. *sigh* Life... what a non-stop drama.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 PM

Oh jeez! I feel for you as I know what it feels like to be down a river without a paddle. It seems the older you get, the more weighted in a situation you become. I remember at 19 I was a free agent and I had next to nothing holding me down, other than a cellphone contract and car insurance/maintenance, and my supplies for school. I was so jaded back then and I'd love to go back in time and give myself a good kick in the ass!

I work part time, but only get $8 an hour. My husband has a decent job but with the economy being crap he's been laid off temporarily so many times now while work is trying to adjust to the current climate. They over estimated the demand for solar paneling, and now they just aren't selling it fast enough. Really blows as none of our bills have gone down, nor the child support he pays his ex every month. (Don't get me started on her! :sarcasm:)

I'm just lucky to have found someone as special as him though. He's good to me and really makes life that much more meaningful for me. :heart:

Jennifer
High fives are pretty great!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 AM

Hey Izumi. Do you want to be a part of my notebook exchange? It's a real life dealio, just so you know. I'll be gathering addresses, so I can send out a notebook. People claim a page and doodle, draw, et cetera on it and then mail it off to the next person.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-11-2009, 12:48 AM

Ohhh that sounds like fun JenJen! Sure I would love to! :heart:

Thanks for gracing my hangout with your presence! Hopefully given your A-list presence, they will just flock right in! ;)

I feel older than I really am. More mentally than anything. Jeez 26 going on 50 I swear! :XD

Jennifer

Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 AM

Alright, well I'll be messaging you requesting your address; but only after I've gathered enough participants.

Bahaha, people only like me because I give out free stuff all the time. :XD Otherwise, I have no idea why people actually talk to me on here, haha.

I can't wait til February. I'll be 21, legal drinking age. >3

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-11-2009, 01:41 AM

You're not giving anything away lately and you still seem to have people flock around you and beg you to come back even though you haven't go anywhere! :XD (OK so you're doing the 700th page thingy, but even before then...so you can't use that excuse! :lol:)

Wow I knew you were around that age, but I seriously thought that you were of drinking age since I could of sworn you talking about drinking the other night. Ah well, I'm just as bad...except I moved to England where it was legal. Boy that felt weird! I really felt like I was doing something wrong the first time I went to the pub at 19. I quickly got over it though....!

Jennifer

Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 AM

Oh~ but I can. Because the day before I listed my little giveaway, I secretly donated to about five people. :XD I love being a ninja gifter, haha.

No, not of legal drinking age yet. But yes, I have drank a few times. I think I'm more excited about being able to do wine tasting. It's something I really want to do.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 AM

Awww man and I missed it?! :XD

People on Mene have been wonderful helping me get established here, including you, so I can't really complain...well other than the inflation of items on the exchange! But that's like real life - prices of crap goes up, but pay stays at a fairly constant rate. Bah!

Ohh wine! Maybe you should set up a wine tasting party for your 21st. Go to like a vinyard or something. That would be a classy way to ring in your 21st. You're making me want a bottle of something now girl...something of the red variety.

DariaMorgendorfer
La La La La La, you're standing ...

Old 07-11-2009, 01:52 AM

Waves to Izumi!

OOHH, an old fart thread! Sounds great! I am um, not interested in stating my old lady status...Let's just say, I am old enough that some of my friends have teenagers, but young enough that I still have years before I need to worry about that stupid time clock (fuck you clock and your incessant ticking, no kidlettes for me at this time)!

Hey, you did say this is a thread for the older folks, I can drop the occasional F-Bomb right?

Jennifer

Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 AM

I mostly just scanned the quest forum and donated. And the exchange, too.

i lub red wines. And that's actually a great idea!!! :O I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Now I have something to plan for my 21st. :3

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 AM

Sure Daria I don't mind! (As long as you don't break any universal forum rules and end up getting our hangout thread trashed!) I don't know if it would technically bump us up to a rated R though, as it generally does when you're talking about movies. Perhaps the ocassional F bomb will keep us at a borderline PG-13!

I'm only 26, but I already have a step daughter who's turning 10 this year. Makes me feel old watching them grow up, and getting annoyed at them for the same reason my parents and grandparents got annoyed - I finally understand it! That and I've already hopped onto marriage number 2, lived overseas, and owned my own property (which I've signed off to my ex). It just feels like I'm going through all those life stages a bit faster than most...hopefully that doesn't cut my life expectancy down!

Not to mention, when the kiddies here start talking about school related stuff it's like wow I can't believe life was like that at one point and I actually cared. :sarcasm:

DariaMorgendorfer

Old 07-11-2009, 02:06 AM

Somehow, I think if you asked for more intellectual conversation, you'll only get the occasional "f bomb" rather than the whole rant filled four lettered word spread that would cause the Mods to get grouchy...So a happy PG-13???

Agreed...I have a master's degree...I may someday go back for my PHD, but at this point school is the least of my worries...and I can't really relate....Well I work in the schools, so but I am one of the wardens rather than one of the inmates (Joke).

I have done a bunch myself and am really content where I am in life...I continue to procrastinate the kids thing, but I have traveled, gotten a great education, I have a wonderful career...and only just got married...again I waited on the marriage thing till I was older...I have learned (kinda) two other languages besides my native one, and done some kinda nutty "extra curriculars" in my time (I was in the shadowcast of the local Rocky Horror Picture Show" for awhile. All that stuff just puts a different take on your world view ya know?

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-11-2009, 02:16 AM

That's the best way to do it, Dar. Live your life first, and then comes kids. I'm not a full time mom, but I will tell you from what I do get to see and do that kids are very consuming on your resources, however it is a rewarding experience reliving the shoe on the other foot. It really helps me understand 'parent logics' and the whole 'Because I said so' tactic! I got grandfathered into the role, so I got to skip the whole diapers and terrible 2s stage. I still get to see them through their teenage years, which will be a blast. I'm still waiting to hear the classic 'you're not my mom' line.

Anyways folks, it's past my bedtime and I need to soak my dentures and take out that hearing aide (joke) so I shall be going. Hubby has work early morning too so he's going to be turning the lights off on me whether I'm ready to go to bed or not. :P

DariaMorgendorfer

Old 07-11-2009, 02:29 AM

Ohhh I work with kids, all day long...My job is kinda like the library...I get all the benefits of borrowing a kid for an hour, playing and having a great time with them, without having to pay a darn cent for them. That's why I don't know if I want kids. I can tell how much work they are...and I like coming home to play MY video games darnit! So who knows, maybe I'll skip the parenting thing...

Anyway, sleep well Izumi!

Hollywood
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-11-2009, 05:13 AM

Jennifer, I have always liked you (I know I don't know you well, but from reading your posts I have always thought you were nice) and I didn't even know you were partial to giving things away. So there you go, I just de-bunked your claim :)

Izumi, you said "I was so jaded back then and I'd love to go back in time and give myself a good kick in the ass!" I couldn't agree more! I would do things so much differently if I could go back!! I would have taken my bills more seriously for sure!

Daria: drop that fucking bomb! haha. I mean, we're all adults here! And I'm sure that as long as it's not used every second word... well thats my take on it anyways... then again, this isn't my thread... heehee!

DariaMorgendorfer

Old 07-11-2009, 05:47 AM

Hey Holly, where have ya been lately? It seems like you haven't been around in awhile...Since around your birthday actually....

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Morning to all the oldfarts! :cool:

Just getting myself set up for work here shortly, but I'll be in and out all day during the quiet parts. *crosses her fingers and hope it's all quiet*

Daria - I can imagine working with special needs children to be even more difficult than a typical child. I struggle with patience sometimes when the 7 year old asks me to get him a drink, for example. Reason being is I so desperately want him to become more independent. I know my dad worked at a home for mentally underdeveloped adult men and said basically they're like taking care of a child and he went on to explain the guys living there and just their mental abilities. Some were like a 6 or 7 year old just frozen in time he told me. I think it would take a saint to be able to take care of them their entire life, and while I feel bad that their family put them in a care home I can understand why.

Hollywood
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Daria: I have been around, on and off. I haven't visited my exchange thread in quite some time... I've had no desire to buy or sell, so I've mostly just been hanging out here in the nations. Before this thread, there were only 2 others that I really frequented.... Flowerless and The Diet Thread... so I am quite happy to have somewhere else to hang out now!
Also, life has been incredibly hectic in the last 3 weeks.
Where to begin... first I was offered a promotion in the form of a transfer at work which my boss begged me not to take (since then, WHO would she have to do her job?)
What they offered me was measly, so I asked for more money. It took them a while to get back to me on that, so I was worried about THAT as well as how to tell my boss I was going to take the promotion (her feelings are fragile). It took them 10 days to get back to me about my wage, and in that time they posted the job they had offered me on Craigslist... which I found, and FREAKED OUT about.
Needless to say, I over-reacted and the reason they had MY job posted was a sneaky tactic to gain resumes in order to replace my current boss, who really isn't very good. ANYWAYS they offered me more money, I accepted. yay.
That drama ends, and then last Sunday I come home from work to find that my roommate has packed up all his things and VANISHED! without paying rent! without paying utilities!!
So now my boyfriend and I are stuck in this $1500 house by ourselfs, and we cannot afford it at ALL!
This guy apparently had to skip town because there was family trouble up north, and he hasnt cut off communication with us.... he feels really bad for leaving us in the lurch like this, and he was going to deposit his share of rent into Dan's bank account yesterday.... which he hasn't done....so now I need to figure this out. It's really hard.
We worked it out that we can (barely) afford his share of rent here (we actually got that fully dealt with) as well as a deposit on a new place, and 1st months rent.... but this guy owes us close to a grand, and we could REALLY use that money.
I am hoping this guy will do the right thing, cuz we have to eat.
Anyways, all the stress has sort of kept my visits to Mene short... theres just so much to think about. I have been a non-stop stress case!
it's nice that things are falling into place (we are looking at our future home at 2pm today!) and I can relax a little bit :)

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 07-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Oh jeez Hollywood! That would be eating me alive too! What a rat to just walk on you like that. I would of wanted to work something out and try to help how I could. I hope he gets what he owes to you. I'm thinking of you. That's awesome about your job promotion though, even if it probably did make you wet your pants about the job listing.

I'm very happy as I got something I ordered off of Ebay from a UK seller (something I've been very curious about and wanting, and I'm so excited I opened it before I talked to my friend who ordered one too -- I just cannot wait to try it!!) and also a letter in the mail saying that I'm getting $88 dollars in federal returns which couldn't of come at a better time! (We've been pretty much broke!)

I'm also riding on a massive caffeine/sugar buzz from this mountain dew I stole from hubby. It's good but my goodness it's bad for you!! I'm probably going to crash soon and regret drinking it. :P