Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM

I didn't really pay attention to fashion until I entered college, and even then I usually dressed for comfort rather than style, but I've noticed that over the past 3 years or so, since I moved to Japan, my taste in fashion has rapidly changed.

I've gone from wearing jeans and sweatshirts everyday to lots of blouses, skirts, dresses, and shorts with tights underneath.

In my case, I think this change comes from relocating to Japan. I've started dressing similar to what Japanese women wear. But since my body shape doesn't match Japanese models, I've had to be very conscious of what flatters my figure.

So how about you? Have your tastes changed? Why?

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 03:19 PM

My tastes have changed because I've been reading a ton of fat blogs. These women are beautiful and are not afraid to show it. I love their outfits, they fit correctly but are also very flattering to their curvy figures! Normally I'd wear jeans and a mens t-shirt that would cover everything up. I've been really looking at womens clothing now and want to complete overhaul my closet. Also I've noticed I'd rather wear a shirt/blouse with a scoop or v-neck, seems more feminine to me.

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM

It's not too drastic, if anything I'm going a bit backwards. I guess in my mind, I believe I'm dressing casual/comfort but to others I'm dressed up which I can't comprehend. I usually struggle to understand what casual means; like to me, casual is plain t-shirt with a cardigan, pants and flats. With added accessories.

Actually recently, I bought my first pair of athletic shoes but they weren't the cheap kind and they're in an explosively bright color. I wore them to walk to the market and I felt weird. I don't wear tennis shoes at all.

I guess I've been more open to other styles, I have sneakers to an extend of being on the fashionable border.

There was people at my school saying how as the school year goes by, I'll get tired of dressing up and start slacking. I put on make up everyday. Even if I don't go out. I've been doing this for about 8 years.

I think I've gained more jewelry. I've gained a liking to brooches, earrings and rings. I've gained a liking to different colors of make up. Accessories wise, I progressed farther.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 AM

Oh goodness have my tastes changed. My mid-late teen years were dominated by obnoxiously bright clothes layered over obnoxiously bright clothes with obnoxiously bright jewelry. Here's a combo I once thought looked good. I don't know what spurred the change, I just basically woke up one day and thought "wow, this looks like crap." After that I tried to go so hard in the opposite direction that I ended up looking like I was working in an office. Which is fine when you're actually working in an office, kind of weird when you're 18 and are just going to walmart.

I think I'm settling into more of a balance now. I dress fun and age appropriate, but nothing crazy. Most of my clothes are neutral (my boyfriend keeps pestering me because he says I never wear color. Navy is totally a color. ), but I'm trying to incorporate a bit more color in. I've started wearing graphic tees again, but they're usually dark with a nice design on them - not scribbly skulls or explosions of rainbow hearts. I don't dress cute enough to be a street fashion blogger or anything like that, but I put effort and pride into how I dress and I'd like to think I do a fairly good job of it. Here's a recent photo of me wearing one of my go-to time-to-look-cute outfits. Black dress + scarf. I swap that scarf out for a few others to change it up.

All in all, I think it's a pretty natural progression from crazy teen dressing to regular young adult dressing. I've always put a lot of thought and care into how I dressed, so I hit some far-flung extremes (that colorful phase was far from the only one ), but I don't think it's particularly unusual! Though I think some people who haven't seen me since then would be surprised if they saw me now.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 03:42 AM

My fashion taste has not changed at all... :)
I'm still at the "I have no idea what I'm doing" stage

Recently I'm really forcing myself to try new things though, like new style of glasses, new style of cloths, etc... maybe get my butt into gear and dress like a proper human being.

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 PM

It's only in the last few years that I've started taking care when choosing how I dress. When I was younger it was more of a 'I guess I don't want to look like a schlub, but beyond that I don't much care so long as it's comfy.' These days, I've more of an eye for color (if not for style...still a bit lost there). Much of this I can blame on my younger sister, who always leaves the house looking incredibly stylish with very little apparent effort involved. I've started looking into some J fashion. Or...rather, I've started actually purchasing a few things instead of staring at it wistfully and wondering why I can't manage to pull off x look. Turns out I can (sort of). It's a work in progress of sorts.

My latest obsession has been those patterned flow-y sundresses one tends to see now a days. I used to absolutely abhor most patterned things, but now they're sort of growing on me. To be fair, my wardrobe used to consist of all dark/muted colors and not a dress to speak of so..yeah...

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 PM

I never really wore patterns. But I also never really realised this until I started buying clothes on Ebay, and I only started doing that because the combination of no job and weight loss didn't give me much alternative. Not looked back since though :D

I think it took until then for me to start developing any kind of personal style, because I had a much wider range of choice open to me, and the prices made buying essentially risk free, so I bought items I'd not have considered if I saw them in a shop. Like you Seri, I was actually buying stuff instead of just looking at it. One of the very best things about Ebay is you can look for items that you maybe saw in the catalogue from one of your favourite companies several years back (you know the catalogues I mean, the ones you love looking through, but they're just too expensive for you to ever buy anything other than sale items). I've managed to get a number of items that I loved when they came out, and still liked now, and I got them at thrift store prices...what's not to love about this situation?

I have an affinity for cute cardigans which I wasn't really aware of before, and have managed to aquire a number of them for £5 or less, including postage, plus some very good quality 100% wool ones (lambswool, merino etc.) for not a huge amount more. I love Ebay xD

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 09-23-2013, 02:58 PM

I have evolved greatly in fashion. I was a chubby kid with an older brother and sister so I wore a lot of hand me downs, had my blonde hair long, like to my butt long. I generally didn't care about fashion. I didn't until about grade 7. I had cut my hair chin length in grade 5 to play lacrosse and that made me feel awkward after I stopped playing since I didn't know what to do with it. By grade 7 my hair had lengthened nicely and I started buying new clothes. I wasn't fashionable but I was dressing my age instead of my 6 years older sister or my 4 years older brother.

By high school I had enough and I became someone completely me. I played with colours and patterns, cutesy and gothic, serious and playful. And now 4 years after high school I've discovered that I can be whatever I want. I can wear any type of clothing I want. I'm not defined by my wardrobe I define my wardrobe as something worth wearing.

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 AM

I used to only wear jeans and t-shirts.

Now I wear the occasional dress or skirt, or nice-shirt-with-jeans.

>__>

<__<

Usually when I'm just around the house or going somewhere like the grocery store, I just wear jeans-and-t-shirts. But if I'm going to the mall to walk around with friends or to my writing club or anywhere like that, I like to dress up/accentuate a bit more.

Generally, it comes down to whether I care about my tastes showing more or not. I mean, in a grocery store you're not going to care if the cashier thinks your shirt is a cool graphic or color or whatever.

I dunno... I generally don't care too much about how I look, but rather how I express myself through how I look... Oh geez, did that even make sense? *headdesk*

I would actually like to start dressing more... consciously. I've been thinking of learning to sew my own clothes... simple things like skirts first, though. XD I'd just like more of my individual style to be able to come through... and yeah, figure out more of what my individual style IS beyond t-shirts and jeans.