Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 AM

So bread. Amazing, no? I think so. I love it. It's my weakness. You walk into my house with a fresh, crispy baguette and you're gonna get mauled. In a good way. I've mastered a few kinds, but I am kind intimidated to venture into some bread making.

So, I was wondering how you guys have fared? Has anyone worked with a convection oven? Or, are there some sneaky sneaky tricks to doing it at home without one?

Share recipes!! Share the love. Just post about your favorite kind of dough-y yeast-y goodness. Pictures are of course encouraged so I can drool on my keyboard.

If you do have a recipe that's worked for you in the past, post away! I'll create another page in the front to keep recipes at so we can all try some of the goodies!

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 AM

Recipes and Links:

Submitted by Woodlandnymph:

Challah Recipe
Hints: Add an extra egg yolk to the dough and use an egg white wash before you bake your bread
*see picture above!*

Submitted by jellysundae:

Cornmeal yeast rolls
Click on thumbnail for full view Click on thumbnail for full view

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 09-14-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 02:20 AM

I'll start of the recipe sharing!

I used this recipe sucessfully maaaaaany times. People always ask me to make this challah when we have big gatherings. It's enough for two loaves of braided bread. I get fancy every time and braid the two together to make a huge challah wreath since it looks nice as a centerpiece of dough-y goodness. The header picture I put up is a close up of one of my loaves of this bread.

Challah Recipe
Secret Recipe Hack!! I add an extra egg yolk or two to the batter when making this. It's common for some of the recipes for challah to have a LOT of egg yolk, but then other people add yellow dye to make it seem like there's more egg. Bleh. So, extra egg yolk, and I also do a two egg white wash on the outside before I pop it in the oven.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-14-2013, 04:18 AM

Omg, that looks so good. I've never made bread before, but now I think I'm going to have to!

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 04:33 AM

I'm kinda scared of some breads, but I wanna make more!! Nothing is as good as fresh hot bread. That recipe is really easy Cherrykins. So long as you give it time for the different rising stages. Oh! And I put mine in the oven (while it's off) for the last stage, when it's all braided. The oven is a nice dry place where it can be undisturbed.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-14-2013, 05:13 AM

Good, I'd hate to wet my feet in bread-making territory with a difficult recipe! Actually, I think I remember you posting about that bread on facebook a while ago, and I think I pestered you for a link to the recipe and then never got around to making it. >> Maybe I will this time? How about you just come make bread for me.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 06:02 AM

hmmmm, provide the airfare and it's a deal!!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-14-2013, 12:45 PM

I've made bread a fair amount, with varying degrees of success, it's never been inedible, but when it's turned out well, I don't know why

I'll hold my hand up and admit that I'm appalling at sticking to recipes, I'll substitute this for that, and throw a bit of something else in and so on, so I'm entirely to blame for things not turning out quite as they should xDD I think I don't add quite enough liquid to bread dough, because my dough never, ever develops those stretchy bits when you knead it, like it does for people on TV, but it still turns out ok. But then I'll leave it to rise for ages before I put it in the oven so it offsets that I think.

This is my most successful little loaf, which I baked in the same dish I cooked my clafoutis in last night xD I don't really have any baking specific pans so that little round dish is very multi-purpose. When I knead stuff I use oats rather than flour, which is why you can see a few in the crust. This was just a bog standard bread recipe, nothing fancy.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 03:32 PM

Oh. That looks so fantastically fluffy and white. Like, perfect toasting or sandwich bread! I've actually never made white bread like that. It's always a quick bread or a crazy whole wheat oat bread. Which, may be why I'm intimidated by making some breads. Whole wheat flour just always turns out dense.
*Steals your bread*

Heh. Sticking to the recipe. Baking is a lot more precise than cooking, where you can just scream out, "BAM!" or "YOWZERS!" and throw whatever you want in. Maybe that's my downfall, cause I still manage to fiddle with things too, Jelly.

There are some recipes that are knead free, and they just get their magic from leaving them to rise in a bowl overnight or what not. I'll have to find some of those for myself. I'll pop some up here once I find em.

Also, quick breads. Those I am great at. Queen of the zucchini loaves and the banana loaves. Cranberry orange breads and lemon poppy seed are a piece of....well cake-y bread.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 PM

i love potato♥bread

Last edited by hummy; 09-14-2013 at 04:11 PM..

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-14-2013, 04:02 PM

I honestly only tried making bread because it was when I was unemployed, and a bag of cheap flour was half the price of a loaf of nasty cheap bread, and produced bread with a texture that was like decent bread, so I was sold!. I don't buy bread flour, it's too expensive, just ordinary self-raising.

AHA! Iro rooted in my Tumblr archive and found the bread recipe I've used before! What a star, I couldn't find it xD

Cornmeal yeast rolls

This stuff is nommy, and so easy because it doesn't require anywhere near as much work as normal bread. When I get some more cornmeal, I'm making this again I made it in another non-baking dish xD I rolled each ball of dough in cornmeal before putting them in the dish, because I like the finish cornmeal gives, it turned out good =3

Thumbs! Click on thumbnail for full view Click on thumbnail for full view

You can totally see that I'm not one of these people who weighs each ball of dough to make sure they're all the same size

My mum made a spiced zucchini and lemon loaf cake/bread during the summer. I really enjoy those kind of cakes, always moist, yum!! I have a stupid amount of bananas in the freezer, thanks to a newbie mistake the first time Iused the online shop/home delivery service for groceries while I've been off work. There was me thinking I was ordering 4, and actually getting 4 bunches So lots of banana-based baking in my future

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 04:13 PM

here's a picture of potato bread

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 04:40 PM

*Gasp* Those look so....darn good. Oh man, I have cornmeal *plots* I see rolls in my future. And not just on my tummy IN my tummy! I am definitely going to try that recipe out. Iro is the recipe hero of the hour!! Unless I was cooking professionally, I would eyeball it too. No scales for me.

Oh no. Haha. At least you don't have to worry about not getting enough potassium, right? That at least means you get tons of banana bread, which you can also freeze one you slice it, and so can have a piece at a time at your leisure. Tis the season for quick bread anyways. I always find that fall inspires me to make them all, cause it's perfect with a cup of tea or mulled cider.

Potato bread! I've never had that hummy. Looks good.

I just use regular or self rising flour too. I do have cake flour, since recently I wanted to see if it made a difference texture and fluff wise when making cakes.

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 09-14-2013 at 04:43 PM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 04:45 PM

it's really good.
the worst of all carbs
but so darn yummie my stomach is growling just thinking about it.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Yup. I seriously can't resist good bread. I did a carb free thing for all of a hot second. No mas. I can cut some out of my diet, but not completely.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-14-2013, 05:34 PM

Cutting bread out of your diet is surely some kind of cardinal sin anyway? Manna from heaven, food of the gods, and all that :O

I'm not religious, but I could get behind worshipping bread!

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 AM

I think it's the little known 8th sin. I can get behind that.

I made garlic bread here today since we had a party for my niece.....

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-15-2013, 09:25 PM

Do you have a recipe for potato bread, Hummy? I used to love the store-bought kind, I can't imagine how good home made would be.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 AM

This is a bread I have yet to try It's made with mashed potatoes?

Last edited by jellysundae; 09-16-2013 at 12:39 AM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 AM

I've made cinnamon buns with potato in it, but not regular bread. So in the cinnamon buns you mash potato and add it, yeah. I was thinking of trying them again with sweet potato or pumpkin for a fall treat. :D

That recipe is from a local cookbook I found in Amish Country when I was still in high school. So moist! You have to leave the buns to rise for quite a while, but oh it's worth it.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 AM

Melody: makes some awesome bread.

I haven't tried anything too out there and creative. I have snuck carrots or broccoli into breads though. Mostly as ways to help some friends out. They have kids that are just way too picky. So now they get some veggies in weather they like it or not.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2013, 01:56 AM

Cinnamon rolls with pumpkin sounds wonderful I wish canned pumpkin was sold over here >8(

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 AM

They don't sell canned pumpkin? Well, I'm sure it'd be just as fantastic with sweet potato, jelly.
I'll make them like that and let you know how they come out, and if it's good I'll post the recipe and pictures.

As it is, since the fall equinox is coming up, I'm going to make that challah again. It's the equinox yes, BUT it's also Bilbo and Frodo Baggin's birthday that day. Yes. I'm a geek! Muahahahahaha! So, I'm most definitely going to have a hobbit style lunch with cheese, apples, and fresh bread.

---------- Post added 09-16-2013 at 11:52 PM ----------

And broccoli bread?! I want some! With cheese too please!!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Oh! I'd not considered using sweet potato instead! Good suggestion :D

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM

Just adding spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, etc will make it taste pretty pumpkin-y anyways.

I might make a apple raisin nut bread tonight.