Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-30-2015, 03:16 AM

ALL the young adult fantasy during breaks from school!

ObviouslyAya
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 08-30-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Corrin View Post
Do ittt! It's always nice to find a new book! :D

Omg that would have been awesome!! I would lovee to see Shrek the Musical live - I've been avoiding the DVD version on Netflix because I don't want to spoil it, but I don't even know if it's still playing anymore! :(
I don't think I'll go this weekend, but maybe I'll make time to go Monday!
I love curling up in bed with a book. I usually read until I drop or the book is done

I did start watching the one on Netflix, which is pretty good and similar to the live
Farquaad is hilarious!! And the singing / dancing was fantastic. I love musicals

MintyRey
N00b

Old 08-30-2015, 03:41 AM

I paid attention in school! Sort of. I just liked comic books over novel type books back then. Then HP wrecked rocked my world and I've been okay with big books since then whenever they are about:

a.) Fantasy
b.) Action/Fantasy
c.) Magic
d.) Dark-Hunters

But aside from comic books, I loved big compilations of fairy tales when I was a kid and I still do today My mom owned a set of Hans Christian Andersen books and I would read chunks of them whenever my favorite cartoon shows weren't on. I also love 1001 Nights / Arabian Nights books and it's pretty great reading all the little differences each publisher has in their versions of the book.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 08-30-2015, 04:21 AM

What I've started collecting gothic dime moves from the 1960s. All with covers of women dramatically wandering near foreboding houses

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 08-30-2015 at 04:31 AM..

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-30-2015, 11:02 AM

I love fairy tales myself. There are some very nice novelizations of them, too, like East, Ella Enchanted, Phoenix and Ashes, Mira Mirror, and the Swan Kingdom.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-30-2015, 12:54 PM

I'm a one-sitting reader.

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 08-30-2015, 03:46 PM

Eeep, sorry I missed so much activity in here, y'all! I went camping and we got back a lot later in the day than I was told we'd be getting back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Spirit Girl View Post
I like The Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, the Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Sabriel, Lirael, The Books of Bayern, The Lioness Quartet, The Harper Hall Trilogy, The Arrows of the Queen, Graceling, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, the Forgotten Beasts of Eld, The Shamer's Daughter, Princess Ben, the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, the Firebringer trilogy, Watership Down, Redwall, and Ratha's Creature.
SO MANY OF MY FAVORITES! Looove The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, GRACELING REALM OH MY GOSH, and Watership down. And OH MY GOSH THE OLD KINGDOM BOOKS, I love those so much. I'm seriously considering a tattoo of the Disreputable Dog statuette on my wrist.

Re: The Graceling Realm, have you read Fire and Bitterblue?

I'm gonna have to check out some of those other titles you mentioned!

Also, since you mentioned fairtytales (I have so much to say to you!) have you read Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marrillier? It's a loose retelling of 12 Dancing Princesses and definitely one of my favorite books of all time.

Quote:
Not going to like, I totally read this thread title in Belle's voice....
That was the goal! I'm delighted people know the reference! I mean, it's not like it's obscure at all, but still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyRey View Post
I paid attention in school! Sort of. I just liked comic books over novel type books back then.
Do you still read comics? I'm just getting into them myself! I read a lot of manga in high school, and have always kept up with quite a few webcomics, but I've recently been making the foray into printed Western comics. I love most of what I've read so far!

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 08-30-2015, 04:36 PM

Book?

Iltu

Old 08-30-2015, 04:40 PM

One whole book! Maybe two book!

Love your avatar, by the way! Super gorgeous.

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 08-30-2015, 04:46 PM

Le Gasp! Two whole book! *sparkles appear in front of SZP's eyes*

Ah, why thee. I've got a soft spot for wizards and mages, so all those avis of mine turn out good

Iltu

Old 08-30-2015, 04:49 PM

I love me some wizards and mages too! But I also love warriors... and rogues... and I'm just generally awful at picking favorites of anything. :B

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 08-30-2015, 04:53 PM

Hehe, I can be like that too. But, I just find myself always drawn to the magical peoples. All the other guys are super cool too!
I think, if anything, I'd probably end up being a rogue 'cause I'm small and quick and can be really quiet when I want to be
What would you be??

Iltu

Old 08-30-2015, 05:02 PM

Hmm, good question! Rogue is a good choice, that's usually what I pick when I play video games. And those aren't bad qualities to have in real life!
I want to say warrior because I like the idea of looking really tough looking and carrying sword or something, but I hate violence, so probably not... I'm not very agile, so rogue's probably a no, too! Maybe a ranger? Sort of rogue-ish, but with more of a focus on knowing which plants to use for what, knowing about animals (and maybe getting along with them super well) and how to navigate a forest than being sneaky!

Or I could just be a warrior who looks awesome and then bursts into tears when she has to fight.

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 PM

No they're not, especially when you're late for lectures and have to make your way through crowds of other students
Yeah, I wish I could be warrior-ish, but alas...
Oh! You could be a warrior like Logan from The First Law series? Have you read that??

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 08-30-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviouslyAya View Post
I don't think I'll go this weekend, but maybe I'll make time to go Monday!
I love curling up in bed with a book. I usually read until I drop or the book is done

I did start watching the one on Netflix, which is pretty good and similar to the live
Farquaad is hilarious!! And the singing / dancing was fantastic. I love musicals

Samee - prime example? Harry Potter. Dad went out at midnight to get me Goblet of Fire and it was probably 1am or so by the time he got back. I picked up that book and I was reading it until the sun came up. My Mom woke up and found me reading and literally took the book from me and sent me to bed. I was so mad. I finished it the next day. Then she was mad. xD;

Me too! I'm a total sucker for musicals - I go to every touring show I can get my hands on! One of my all-time favorites was The Addams Family, which I saw a year or two ago - I was so sad when I just found out that it stopped touring in May of last year. I wanted to see it a second time!! :(

I also loved Wicked and Mamma Mia - I saw Phantom of the Opera live on Broadway back in like, '05 or '06? I graduated in '10 and it was either middle school's summer or the summer after my first year of high school so it was something like that lol But anyways - I had been obsessed with the movie (I still watch it all the time) and so I went with a friend to NYC and we went and saw it with her parents, and omg. It was brilliant. Except for the chandelier. They didn't crash it!! It just gently swayed down. And then they hoisted it back up in intermission and as soon as they came back they commented on the new chandelier. It was mad. I WANTED THE CRASHING DARN IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iltu View Post
Eeep, sorry I missed so much activity in here, y'all! I went camping and we got back a lot later in the day than I was told we'd be getting back.

That was the goal! I'm delighted people know the reference! I mean, it's not like it's obscure at all, but still!

Do you still read comics? I'm just getting into them myself! I read a lot of manga in high school, and have always kept up with quite a few webcomics, but I've recently been making the foray into printed Western comics. I love most of what I've read so far!
That's okay! Hope you had fun camping!! :D

Hehe Yayyy! I heard it in my head, continued playing the scene, and then sang the song in my head. xD I'm seriously too obsessed with that movie. No joke. <3

And yeah - although it's not obscure there are shockingly people who don't really know Disney!! I die when I hear it and vow to submerge them in Disney.. *cough* Amane *cough*

Ahh! What manga were you interested in! I'm a huge Manga/Anime fan myself!! :D

Minty - Did you only read comics or did you read Manga at all? I've never read comics (though I'm a huge fan of Batman and the Green Lantern) but I have read manga!

---------- Post added 08-30-2015 at 01:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZombiePotatoe View Post
No they're not, especially when you're late for lectures and have to make your way through crowds of other students
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!! The struggle is real... I'm well versed in it...

Iltu

Old 08-30-2015, 06:21 PM

SZP- I haven't, but I have heard Joe Abercrombie's name quite a lot! I'll have to look into those books for sure. Logan sounds like my type of warrior!

Emma- I'm obsessed with it too! But I guess the thread title makes that pretty clear, haha. Belle and Tiana are my favorite Disney princesses. (And Mulan and Pocahontas if you count the whole official princess line!)

Oooh, I read a bunch! Off the top of my head I remember Chibi Vampire, Fruits Basket, InuYasha, Bizenghast, Magic Knight Rayearth, Ruroni Kenshin, FullMetal Alchemist, InuBaka, Here is Greenwood, and Chobits, though I am positive there were more. I ended up giving away a lot of what I collected, but I held onto FullMetal Alchemist, Ruroni Kenshin and Here is Greenwood, since they were my favorites at the time I cleared out a bunch of my books. FMA is definitely my favorite, I'm rereading it right now. Ten years later, it still makes me laugh and cry!
What are some of your favorites?

(I'm a Green Lantern fan as well! Have you seen green Lantern the ANimated Series? A-may-ziiiing! Haven't read the comics yet though... )

(And not to but into your other conversation but... I also like musicals and have similar Harry Potter stories, haha!)

MintyRey
N00b

Old 08-30-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Spirit Girl View Post
I love fairy tales myself. There are some very nice novelizations of them, too, like East, Ella Enchanted, Phoenix and Ashes, Mira Mirror, and the Swan Kingdom.
Yes! I also appreciate different versions of the stories. A friend of mine suggests I try reading the Once Upon A Time series by Simon Pulse.

Quote:
I still do but I haven't been able to buy new issues in years so I just read what I can at the library when I have time. All those retcons though can get confusing I read manga and we comics too. Have you read the webcomic Prague Race? The art is wonderful and the characters are hilarious

Iltu

Old 08-30-2015, 06:39 PM

I mostly just get them from the library, too! It's an expensive hobby, that's for sure.

Oooh, I haven't read it but I just looked it up and the art is gorgeous! And the character designs are spectacular. Definitely going to have to read it when I get a chance! Thank you for the recommendation.

MintyRey
N00b

Old 08-30-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Minty - Did you only read comics or did you read Manga at all? I've never read comics (though I'm a huge fan of Batman and the Green Lantern) but I have read manga!

Yes! I do read manga! I've read Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, One Piece, Naruto (yes, I'm sorry QuQ), Hellsing, and the Korean manwha Noblesse (so pretty! so colors!)

My first Western comic was actually Captain Britain even though most of my childhood was exposed to the more mainstream comic characters like Spider-Man and Batman and Superman and Wonderwoman and Captain America and and Conan the Barbarian and He-man and She-Ra and Power Rangers and Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse and ....*rambles on*

---------- Post added 08-30-2015 at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote:
I mostly just get them from the library, too! It's an expensive hobby, that's for sure.

Oooh, I haven't read it but I just looked it up and the art is gorgeous! And the character designs are spectacular. Definitely going to have to read it when I get a chance! Thank you for the recommendation.
Yeah, and the comic book (the really thin ones) prices jumped up. I remember when most of them used to be just a dollar. And some were just 99 cents! And you're welcome for the recommendation. You could also read other awesome webcomics at Hiveworks.

P.S. Sorry for late responses. I type pretty slug-like

Iltu

Old 08-30-2015, 07:32 PM

Minty- Yeah, there's a couple comics I would like to keep up with issue to issue, but at $2.50 a pop for digital chapters, it's a bit much! I try to buycomplete volumes of the ones I really like, though.
I do keep up with a couple Hiveworks comics, there's some truly excellent ones! I've been meaning to peruse them to find more to read though, a lot of my favorite comics have ended in the last year or two. :'( (By which I mean The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal, and Nimona.) Which are your favorites?

No worries! I'm slow to reply too, I get distracted all too easily.

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 PM

Emma: Glad I'm not the only one. I'm pretty sure there are lots'

Iltu: You should, they're really good books. But, yeah you could def be a Logan. He's like this awesome fighter, but hates that he is one and tries to avoid fights, but they always find him. And he's got this bloodthirsty alter ego that takes over sometimes... I bet you can guess how that goes

Iltu

Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 PM

I am a sucker for sweethearts with wicked alter egos! I've definitely got to add this series on Goodreads so I don't forget about it.

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 08-30-2015, 07:58 PM

I kinda like that too. It feels... real. Like there's no one who's entirely sweet or entirely terrible. There's another character, Glokta (my favourite :D) who's this soldier-turned-torture-victim-turned-torturer who does terrible things to people, has no idea why does what he does and is deep down a really nice guy. Book's full of 3 dimensional characters

Iltu

Old 08-30-2015, 08:03 PM

Those are my favorite types of books! Many of my favorite characters are ones who are capable of both great selflessness, but also doing horrible, selfish things. Like a lot of the characters in A Song of Ice and Fire!

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 08-30-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Emma- I'm obsessed with it too! But I guess the thread title makes that pretty clear, haha. Belle and Tiana are my favorite Disney princesses. (And Mulan and Pocahontas if you count the whole official princess line!)

Oooh, I read a bunch! Off the top of my head I remember Chibi Vampire, Fruits Basket, InuYasha, Bizenghast, Magic Knight Rayearth, Ruroni Kenshin, FullMetal Alchemist, InuBaka, Here is Greenwood, and Chobits, though I am positive there were more. I ended up giving away a lot of what I collected, but I held onto FullMetal Alchemist, Ruroni Kenshin and Here is Greenwood, since they were my favorites at the time I cleared out a bunch of my books. FMA is definitely my favorite, I'm rereading it right now. Ten years later, it still makes me laugh and cry!
What are some of your favorites?

(I'm a Green Lantern fan as well! Have you seen green Lantern the ANimated Series? A-may-ziiiing! Haven't read the comics yet though... )

(And not to but into your other conversation but... I also like musicals and have similar Harry Potter stories, haha!)
You're a girl after my own heart!!!

Belle and Jasmine are my absolute favorites! I was Belle for Halloween in pre-school, and while my bath was running while growing up, I'd totally pretend I was Jasmine during the "Maybe I don't want to be a Princess anymore!" segment. Then once I was in the tub I was Ariel, but I had cool friends like Sailor Moon, because why not?

My absolute FAVORITE of all time though is Alice in Wonderland and Hercules - they're tied. I'm seriously obsessed lol For the newer princesses I love Tiana, Rapunzel, and Merida - I shockingly do have Princesses I hate though.... *cough* Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora *cough* I just could NOT get into their movies growing up. I occasionally watch them, but only if they're on like ABC Family or something. I just hate how annoying Snow White is, how woe-is-me Cinderella is, and how idiotic Aurora is lol It's just frustrating!!

Ahhh! I've read a bunch of those and I've seen the animes of others! A few of my faves are MeruPuri, Ouran High School Host Club, Fruits Basket, Vampire Knight, Peach Girl - I could seriously go on lol I'm currently reading Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches on Crunchyroll right now along with Princess Jellyfish - watched both animes and fell in love! I unfortunately don't have a HUGE manga collection since Waldens closed and then Borders (who kept my local Waldens open after taking it over) went under. I hate Barnes & Noble and they're super far away anyways. So after Borders closed I switched over to Anime. It's addicting!

I haven't! I've only seen him in Justice Leage and then I of course went and saw the live-action movie. I didn't know he had his own series though!

Butt in! I love multiple conversations! What musicals have you seen? :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintyRey View Post
Yes! I do read manga! I've read Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, One Piece, Naruto (yes, I'm sorry QuQ), Hellsing, and the Korean manwha Noblesse (so pretty! so colors!)

My first Western comic was actually Captain Britain even though most of my childhood was exposed to the more mainstream comic characters like Spider-Man and Batman and Superman and Wonderwoman and Captain America and and Conan the Barbarian and He-man and She-Ra and Power Rangers and Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse and ....*rambles on*

P.S. Sorry for late responses. I type pretty slug-like
I was actually just recommended Hellsing as an Anime! Naruto is totally up my brother's alley though - he's obsessed with the anime! I think he also loved One Piece!

LOL! I've totally seen the cartoons to most of those, but I've never read the comics!! We have similar tastes though haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZombiePotatoe View Post
Emma: Glad I'm not the only one. I'm pretty sure there are lots'
Oh for sure haha It's one of the biggest struggles with being on campus!! And having only 10 minutes to get to each class when you have back to back classes..