Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-27-2016, 03:21 AM

Chuckling at Barrett's excitement, he followed after him so they could pay. He was in no hurry and let Barrett lead this time. "Yes work, it's very important. I couldn't have you missing it and getting in trouble. Besides, I'd feel sorry for those idiots who can't use their computers all this time," he teased. It was reason's like that that he didn't use his own computer. Other than he had little use for it when he preferred the gentle nature and progress that could be touched with a hand or brush. After they finished with their checks, he pushed the restaurant door open to let Barrett go through first. "Of course. I look forward to it. My home is open anytime." He paused. "Just make sure to knock before you enter," he added with a grin. Even if he didn't admit it, he really did look forward to seeing what Barrett would show him, and maybe just seeing Barrett, though he was beginning to realize that was a very slippery slope he walked on.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-28-2016, 01:33 AM

"I make no promises," Barrett said, grinning at Elias as he haves a farewell to him and headed back to work a grin on his face, even as he considered how to push past the barrier Elias had around himself. He didn't know what to do, but he definitely knew he'd try until Elias couldn't even begin to hide any part from him.

The rest of his work day, passed by relatively boring, no major computer meltdowns or anything and he was able to go home relatively on time with nothing major to fix keeping him at work super late. And for the next week that was the theme. He worked during the day, and explored when he was able, finding ac couple more nice restaurants and hang out spots, including a fountain that was a little out of the way that was a nice place to relax and just watch people walk by. But he didn't find any other people who captivated him in quite the same way as Elias. His mind circling back to the older man on a regularly basis, and already compiling a list of his favorite pieces to show Elias the next time he saw him.

He decided with the approach of the weekend that would be the perfect time to hunt Elias out again, heading off into the woods, intent to find the other and bother him for the day. He took a different path through the trees, wanting to see if he could find any streams or anything. Once he came upon the older man's house, he sighed and decided to respect the older's wishes. Maybe, it'd put him in a better mood and Elias would show him more of the relaxed, but lonely man he'd only seen glimpses of. Not the facade that Elias showed to the world. With that, he knocked loudly on the door, movements exuberant and excited at the prospect of the day.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 AM

The week passed in a blur for Elias, but this time, he didn't find himself forgetting Barrett for even a second. It was strange, but he never found himself gravitating toward another in so long, never almost obsessed like this. Many a time he just threw aside his paintbrush and disappeared into the woods, up the once nice stone steps that crept past his home. Moss made the sides slick, but despite being an 'old man', he found traversing it easy and a nice change to staying cooped up inside his studio for hours. With his legs crossed with ease, he could stare down through the tree tops toward his little stream, a glistening ribbon at this height, for an entire day until the sun shadowed his paradise.

It was so different from the city he was born in. But no, that was never home. Home welcomed a man, like the birds. It made him wonder why his thoughts kept circling back to Barrett though. Wasn't he worried that he was getting too close already? He couldn't stand it if the things he loved the most became a thing of ridicule for another person though. That was why his art was private, and his life with it. He just liked keeping his soul close where no one could find it.

When he heard the knock, Elias sat on his porch between the house and studio, feeling in a slump. Something kept messing with his artistic muse and he wasn't sure if it was the thoughts circling in his head stronger than usual or what. Even thought the paintings looked pretty, they just had no soul. So he sat, idly reading a book of poetry. "Come in!" he called as he slipped a woven bookmark into place and turned, already having a good guess as to who stood on the other side of his front door.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 PM

Barett pushed open the door, more than a little noisily, the noise and energy he already brought with him flooding into the house already. "Elias!" he called, trying to find the other through the house, wondering this time if he'd get to a chance to explore more of it. Maybe find out more about Elias by the things he surrounded himself, but for now he focused on finding the other man.

He wandered out to the porch, grinning at Elias when he found them, "Do you ever spend any time in your house?" he asked, though he could see why the porch was a preferred spot, it did have a good view of the forest. "Oh!" he exclaimed as he collapsed into a chair, pulling off his backpack. "I have a surprise for you. I'll hope you like it, but I found this new bakery on the way here and they had amazing cookies and cupcakes, so I kinda got a variety of both." He grinned, "I even tried to pick out some less sweet cupcakes, figuring you might like those better." With that, he pulled a box that had been a slightly crumpled but only slightly out of his back and then followed with a bag with about a half a dozen different cookies in it. "I figured I was coming at the perfect time for an afternoon snack."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-29-2016, 04:05 AM

A soft smile ghosted over Elias' lips. "I do spend time inside, but why bother on a good day like this," he hummed, like he hadn't been reading poetry in an almost state of suffering because it wasn't painting. But he liked to think he enjoyed the peace of doing nothing for a while. He set the book aside and shifted the cushion he sat on so he could face Barrett. One eyebrow raised at the box the boy produced from his bag.

"Ever thoughtful aren't you? But I am fond of the meal you call 'afternoon snack'. Best with either tea or coffee, or glasses of sparkling water to the more cultured," he added with a disgusted sort of wince. He took the box and picked out a cupcake with half a strawberry stuck on top, looking delicate, sugary, and fresh at the same time. "Should I make tea again or would you prefer something else?"

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 PM

Barrett smiled softly at Elias, glad his gesture was appreciated. He reached into the back of cookies, picking out an oatmeal chocolate chip one. Taking a bite, he sad around the mouthful of food, "Tea would be fine. You don't really want to give me coffee or anything." he shrugged, "I end up bouncing off the walls. And my dad always sad I got more annoying when I had excess caffeine. So I tend to avoid it. And definitely no the sparking water. It's gross and bitter." Barrett said, his nose wrinkling at the thought, before he stuffed another bite of cookie into his mouth.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-31-2016, 08:17 PM

Elias chuckled as he set his chosen cupcake aside to go prepare the tea. "I can't imagine you possibly being more annoying. And yet, I think it wouldn't surprise me in the least," he admitted. The idea of Barrett and coffee not working out didn't seem the least bit novel, though he struggled to imagine a level of energy beyond what the boy already displayed on a daily basis. It was impressive that anyone like him existed. "But I'll make a teapot of something floral to match the sweets, I think. Feel free to wander if you would like and don't worry, you won't find any sparkling water here. It's the principle rather than the taste though. It's so...European," he added with a slight huff. But really, it was a little too like home and that was enough reason not to sip that bitter, fizzy liquid.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-31-2016, 08:49 PM

"Oh, it's possible, but I don't really like coffee much anyway. Energy drinks are what are dangerous." he said when Elias came back with the brewing tea, "I've been now to use those when I pull an all-nighter at work. I mean I get my work done, but I'm also a little crazy and keep having to take breaks to get rid of some excessive energy." Barrett chuckled at the sparkling water comment, "Well it's a good thing we aren't European then, huh? Even if they have some really good food." He settled back in the chair, watching steam rise out of the pot as he finished off the first cookie, restraining himself from immediately grabbing a second one, "So do you ever see like wild animals, like deer or anything sitting out here. And what about wolves or wild cats?" he asked, curious as he considered the treelike.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-31-2016, 10:14 PM

Elias smiled and winced at the same time. "I get the feeling I would not like to see that," he hummed. Settling the tea tray in between them, he took his seat on his cushion again, preferring it to an actual chair, reach really proved he wasn't an old man. Not that he should have to prove that despite the teasing. Peeling the paper away from his cupcake with care, he took a smile bite from it, remembering how Barrett teased him about not eating the candy from before. Which he still had with no intention to throw away or eat. "Indeed, it is good this is not Europe, though those kinds of circles still exist. The 'elite' as some would say." He kept his voice carefully light, not letting on that he had some experience with those circles. "But yes, I do see wildlife. Mostly deer and birds, the occasional rabbit. I hate to break your bubble, but there are definitely no wolves here. Maybe some foxes and if there are wildcats, I have not seen them."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 AM

"And I get the feeling both you and I would rather stay as far away from those circles as possible," Barrett said, perceptive with not really realize just how much, "I mean house in the woods doesn't exactly speak to someone wanting to live in the lap of luxury." He shrugged, "And I've never really experienced those type of things, but I've certainly been on the end of judging word from some wealthy classmates. Kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth," Barrett said, reaching for a cupcake that he knew had a lemonade frosting on top of a blueberry cupcake and he'd definitely bought hoping Elias wouldn't eat since he wanted it himself.

He took a bite, frosting getting on his upper lip, before continuing, eyes going back to the woods, "Ah well, I imagine it's still nice. Especially in the early morning or early evening."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-03-2016, 05:06 PM

Elias hummed in answer, shocked at Barrett's words that hit so close to home. Did he know something? But he couldn't. No one in this little town knew exactly where Elias came from or what sort of life he lived before--which was exactly how he wanted it. So how could Barrett always hit his mark? What made him so special? Elias shook the thought away. "Wealth has a way of breeding superiority and disdain. They are always very quick to place judgement on others, and yet so far from placing any on themselves." He shook his head, not elaborating on how he came to that conclusion, but rather leaving it as a token bit of wisdom.

Turning his attention back to the trees, he watched a breeze ripple dappled light patterns across the trunks. This really was a much nicer place than the lap of luxury. "It's beautiful here no matter what the time of the day..." he sighed, never looking away from the trees.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 08-05-2016, 01:18 AM

"That's a good way to put it yeah," Barrett said, nodding in agreement as he licked some icing off his fingers. He looked back over the woods, "It certainly is. I like adventure, but yeah, I think I could see the appeal of waking up to this every morning."

They sat for a few minutes in silence, enjoying the view, and Barrett at least thought each other's company. Though eventually the silence got to him, and he started fidgeting, "Ok, that's enough quiet time," he mumbled, before climbing of the chair to go sit next to Elias on the ground, "Why don't I go ahead and show you those pics. I went through their entire collection again to really pick out my favorites." As he was talking he was pulling out his phone to open a folder of pictures he'd saved to his phone partially for this occasion, but also he'd already saved a few of them to look at from time to time. He sighed, really hoping he'd get another chance to see them in person. The one exhibit he'd been too just wasn't enough. He pulled up a picture to full screen and passed the phone over to Elias, "Here."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-05-2016, 07:03 PM

Elias let his thoughts drift, mostly thinking of the nature, but the quiet and the turn of the conversation bred other thoughts as well. Would he ever move to a place like this if his own family didn't push him out? He brushed his hand against his chest for a second, right over his mark. He ran away here to avoid their judgement, but in a small town like this, he supposed he lowered his chance of meeting his mate too. Maybe he also ran from that fate. He wasn't sure anymore.

At Barrett's words, he startled slightly, just enough to rustle his clothing, but his heart still skipped a beat. He turned, to see the phone Barrett offered, an image pulled up on the screen. Elias tilted it, getting a better look. Instantly, his heart stopped beating altogether. It couldn't be. A green valley spread out far below a morning glow, the world awaiting dawn with a sleepy sort of energy. The tree limbs seemed to droop toward the earth with their own weight. Nothing moved, no animals hid in the branches, and yet the sky looked too promising to dwell in the shadows.

Elias held the phone with fingers, almost trembling. He wasn't sure he breathed since he looked at the image, didn't really care. In the bottom right corner, the proof of what he already knew sat--the signature E.L.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 08-06-2016, 02:26 AM

"Beautiful isn't it?" Barrett asked, taking Elias's silence as being awestruck at the painting itself, even through the tiny phone screen. Not really grasping the much greater surprise that was playing out through Elias's head, "That's one of the first ones I saw by this artist. And it's one of those things that really did just make me want to stop and sit still for hours, and you know that's something that's hard for me. But I just wanted to look at it. Or sink into the painting. The scene was just so beautiful, and I'd love to discover what secrets the morning light isn't illuminating." As he spoke, he leaned over into Elias's space, probably entirely closer than was proper, but too invested in sharing the picture to really notice.

He carefully swiped to another picture, not wanting to move on to fast, but wanting Elias to see more of the pictures. "Of course, you know the phone doesn't really do justice to the beauty. In person, well, I really have sat in front of one just staring for far longer than you'd probably think possible. They had to kick me out of the museum." He chuckled slightly at that. He scrolled through a couple more pictures slowly, picking out parts in each one that he loved, before stopping on another one, "Ah, this one, I think this is my truly my favorite. I like the plain landscapes, but I love when animals fill the shot like this. It makes the pictures almost more lively."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-06-2016, 08:09 PM

Elias felt the painfully close distance between then, but his heart stammered too much to let him react. If he tried to speak, he knew he would reveal how much this rattled him. It was an impossible chance. To think that the one artist Barrett should adore most would be the one sitting by his side, and not even know it. Elias tried hard to keep that fact a secret. He cleared his throat.

"...The phone never does justice..." he managed in a weak voice, sounding just a bit hoarse. These were his paintings, the ones hidden in the recesses of galleries with a nearly anonymous signatures. Astronomical. The chances were astronomical. He wanted to push the phone away and exclaim that he didn't need to see these images because he knew them by heart, sometimes more than he wanted to, but how could he not? What could he say? So he just said the words Barrett expected to hear. "They are nice images. Do...you said you don't know who the artist is?"

He eyed the image Barrett claimed as his favorite, a picture full of sky and flowers, birds splashing in the stream and a pair of doves tucked together as the feature. It was an image that made his heart pang despite the gentle and happy strokes of the brush. There was something about the doves that seemed so tenderly painted, far more nurtured than the rest of the paining. He needed to look away, even with the dull pixels of the phone screen. He knew the painting too intimately to not see the real thing. Looking out as his 'backyard' though, he wondered how Barrett missed the landscape inspiration of the piece.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 PM

Barrett shook his head, "No, I don't. I wish I did, but all they sign their paintings with is E.L. and they seem to desire to remain anonymous, unfortunately. There's not much info about them, other than what you can guess from the paintings." He sighed, not moving away from the photo of the doves. His eyes lingering over them as his free hand traced up to the mark on the side of his head. Perhaps that was had originally drawn him to this painting, an attachment to doves born from the fact that it represented his mate.

He sighed, slightly, "It's really a shame, though, this artist doesn't want to be known. Because they deserve to be told how beautiful their art is. And not just by me. I'm not really the type of person who words on that should carry any weight on that. But I'm not the only one who loves it. Though sometimes I like to wonder if I'm the one who loves it the best." His voice was soft as he spoke, all boisterousness gone, matching tone with Elias in a way. He was quite for a second before he spoke again, voice wistful, "I really do wish to meet them once though. Just to thank them."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-07-2016, 10:07 PM

A strange mix of relief and sadness washed over Elias. He expected the relief, knew that he wanted no one to know that painter's true name, but he hurt a little knowing that was true. It had been more than a year since someone confronted him about his artistic choices and a situation like this never came up before. He found new emotions paralyzing him than ever before. Swallowing hard, he tried not to show it on his face, but he flushed anyway under Barrett's praise. He never got to hear this face to face before, anonymous and true.

"Maybe they don't wish to hear those kinds of words," he murmured with a hand raised to cover part of his face. The tea and cupcakes lay forgotten as he finally managed to tear his eyes away from the phone. It hurt too much to look at. "Sometimes, we just paint for ourselves. Doesn't matter what others think, expert or fan because 'thank you' isn't always what we want to hear." The words sounded too true and raw, but he couldn't stop them from spilling out. He was too off-guard to lie now. "I'm sure he has his own reasons though."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 08-08-2016, 12:50 AM

Barrett pulled away from Elias, letting the hand holding up the phone drop to his side, phone carefully slipping out of his hand and onto the ground. He felt the sudden realization of just how close he'd been to Elias with a sudden awareness of absence as the distance increased between them. He stared at Elias, something tickling at him, but he chose not to pay attention to that at the moment, instead trying to figure out how to respond to Elias's words.

When he finally did speak, the same softness still filled his voice, leaving him sounding unsure and young, but caring, "I can see that." He said, turning wide gentle eyes on Elias, "The need for privacy. And I will respect yours and this artist's wishes for that. I won't enter your studio, unless you let me." He said the words slow and steady, painfully honest, even if the need to explore the forbidden place itched in his fingers. He cared too much about making Elias happy, to be able to here that laugh and see the smile from the other day again, to ever betray his trust. "But, well," he paused, "I do hope you'll trust me one day to let me see. No matter how impossible that seems"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-09-2016, 12:07 AM

Elias winced inwardly at Barrett's gentle words. How could this kid be so honest? It baffled him and touched him at the same time. He should probably start speaking honestly himself considering it came to this point, but the fact that Barrett got this close to his real identity already made it even harder. He forced a faint smile on his face to soothe things over, knowing he just pushed Barrett away, or tried to at least.

"I'm sorry. I must sound so unpleasant saying these things when you just wanted to share something that you liked," he conceded. His smiled softened into something more real. Barrett didn't mean any harm and he couldn't say no to this kind of honesty. Even before he realized the words he spoke, he already swore them, unable not to under Barrett's gaze. "It's not that I dislike your intrusions though. I promise one day you will find your answers, whatever they may be. Call it an old man's intuition."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 08-09-2016, 02:14 AM

Barrett's hand twitched in an aborted attempt to reach out to Elias, to touch and comfort, fingers and arms stretching toward the man before recoiling as sense caught up with instinct. Barrett sighed sitting back and pulling his knees up to wrap his arms around them, head resting on top, making him look even smaller than normal. "It's fine. I hit on something. I can see that." he said, "And beside art is personal for everyone. I do understand that, ya know." It was part of why he loved it after all, the intimacy of it. And he hadn't truly touched on the depth of how the paintings touched him, not knowing how to really verbalize it. Saying just how much felt too much like putting his heart on the line. Which wasn't what this thing with Elias was about, was it?

He paused as Elias spoke up again, and he found himself grinning, though this one was soft, content, an answer to Elias's own smile. "Thank you, I really do hope you're right." The feeling flooded his body with warmth, making him not want to move from this spot except maybe to scoot close to the older man. "It would be a privilege."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-11-2016, 12:51 AM

Elias' fingers twitched against the wood of the porch's deck, feeling a sudden desire to ruffle Barrett's hair. For a second, the boy looked like a scolded puppy all curled up in front of its master. He didn't mean to create that kind of atmosphere, enjoying the smile on his face best. The moment passed though, destroyed by the soft smile that Barrett offered. Elias resisted the urge to turn away as he realized just what sort of action he'd just been considering. "I am right," he hummed. He knew it because the closeness and the information that Barrett sought about his favorite artist was his own to give. Should he decide to. When he decided to. Elias shook the thought away. "But thank you for sharing those pictures with me. You've given me some things to think about as well. Ah, but I'm afraid our tea time is a bit ruined." His smile turned sheepish as he looked at the forgotten tea remains, now long cold.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 08-13-2016, 04:02 AM

Barrett shook his head, dismissing the idea that the activity was ruined, though without words, for once not feeling much like talking. Something from the afternoon, settling into his skin in a weird way. He wasn't discontent, but he felt subdued, and like something far more important had transpired between them than him just sharing a view paintings. It felt somehow like something bigger than themselves, and yet so utterly intimate. He just didn't know what, and he felt like his mind wanted to race to figure out what. But he sighed, and pushed those thoughts away, loosening up his limbs as he stretched, "No matter, I got to spend time with you, that's what I came over for anyway, whether we had tea or I showed you the pictures or not. It was nice. Though..." he stopped and consider, "I could totally go for another cupcake," his voice was bright as he said this, forcing away the moment from before as he stood and grabbed a chocolate cupcake from the box, taking on over-exaggerated bite and grinning at Elias around it, deliberately silly.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-17-2016, 12:36 AM

Though the tension around them waxed, the tension inside of Elias' chest continued to lurk, just waiting for it's chance to overwhelm him in private. He didn't know if he dreaded that coming moment or raced toward it as he offered Barrett another smile. The kid looked so happy with the cupcake, though perhaps too much so, like he put on a face. But what was Elias thinking, trying to say he knew Barrett well enough to tell. His smile almost faltered, eyes going a little distant. "Why don't you leave me a couple cookies while I got toss out the tea. I wouldn't want you to have to eat all those sweets by yourself," he hummed, making a vague gesture with his hand. As he gathered the tea tray, the wild fluttering of emotion struck him again so he turned away, hurrying toward the back door which he'd left cracked open. Despite dreading the aloneness, he was definitely racing straight toward it. Leave. Just leave, Barrett, so I can break down in peace! It was a silent message, but one he hoped reached the other nonetheless. Because it seemed, Elias had no skills in throwing him out.

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 03-02-2017 at 11:59 PM..

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 08-17-2016, 02:39 AM

Barrett stood, as Elias left the porch, grin dropping off his face now that the other wasn't looking at him. He sighed, shaking out his arms, a sort of stiffness having settled into his body the longer he set talking to Elias. He moved to clean up the porch, setting a couple of cookies aside for Elias as well as a cupcake, not wanting to take all of it for himself; plus, he really didn't need all the sugar.

He carried the rest of the items inside, handing them over to Elias before sighing, "I guess I should head home," he said, voice almost shaky, "I'm glad we got to do this." Which was true but not in the way he expected. It didn't leave him feeling overjoyed, but nor was he sad, all he could feel was that he'd effected Elias in a way bigger than he intended, and he wanted to take time to either make that right or figure out why.

"This was nice," he commented, knowing fun wasn't the right word, "See you next time?" Even though neither of them knew what or when next time was, Barrett knew their would be a next time. With that he nodded, sliding his backpack back on and walking over to Elias, quickly wrapping his arms around the other, despite Elias facing away from him, unable to resist the urge to comfort the older man, to hopefully ease some of the tension Elias was carrying. He let go as quickly as he had hugged Elias, not daring to linger, "Bye." He murmured as he walked away, leaving the house in a much calmer manner than before, the events of the afternoon already replaying in his head.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-24-2016, 02:51 AM

As Elias ran the teapot under the faucet, he tried his best to center himself again. He mostly succeeded by the time Barrett followed him in. Space, he just needed space to get his mask into place. Barrett made it slip too much, and was beginning to think that was significant. "I'm glad as well," he murmured back. Glad to spend time with the the other, and more glad to see him gone. He couldn't help the relieved, wide smile that broke out on his face at Barrett's words, despite still facing the sink. He was leaving. The panicked beat of his heart calmed a little just because of that thought.

Glancing just once to the side, he let Barrett see his smile. "Yes, don't hesitate to stop by whenever you have the time. I'll be busy for the next week though, so maybe after?" Just to give himself some space without seeming like he was pushing Barrett away. Because he couldn't be called out for doing that. As Barrett wrapped arms around him in a brief hug, the smile faltered, his entire body going stiff almost so belatedly that he missed the hug. The stammer of his heart remained though, his smile trying to paste back on. "Bye. Be safe on your way home." His words cracked at the end, unable to hold up as Barrett turned his back, finally heading for the door. It was what he wanted--no, needed--so why was his entire being hanging on the other's receding backside?