TricksterJANE
(ノ◕ヮ◕)...

Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM

Does anyone else wonder why some anime sites post "Kim Possible" or "Grim Adventures of Bill & Mandy" on them? Like if it was "Legend of Korra" or "Avatar the last Airbender" I would understand that more, because of the style, but Billy and Mandy don't even look vaguely like anime style

This is just something I've noticed over time, and it bothers me. It would be like putting Family Guy on Boomerang because "All animated shows MUST be the same thing, just because they look sort of alike"

This is just something I've noticed over time, what do you guys think of this topic?

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 AM

Who says it's a slip up? Anime is just a shortened form of animation. Any animation. It's not such a far fetched idea that people who like Japanese animation will enjoy other kinds. Why not cater to a wider audience?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, if we're talking about illegal streaming sites, they're generating revenue from all the ads plastered on their sites. The more traffic they pull in, the more money they make for doing essentially nothing more than showing you pirated stuff. Of course they're going to put up more stuff so they can make more money.

Last edited by For-Chan Cookie; 01-04-2014 at 05:43 AM..

TricksterJANE
(ノ◕ヮ◕)...

Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 AM

No I meant the sites that specifically shove "1OO% JAPANESE ANIME" at you in all of the ads and when you go on said site its filled with hentai and cartoon network shows, a lot of the sites I've seen like this aren't that sketchy and a pretty clean site. I get what you're saying about them wanting to get more audience/money ect, but wouldn't they make a lot of money off just anime fans?

And I'm not trying to pick a fight, I was just trying to see other peoples opinions/views on the subject.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 AM

I'm not really sure what kind of sites you're referring to, but as far as my theory is concerned, when making money is concerned, when is it ever "enough"? Obviously, they're going to push to make as much as they can by adding as much as they can, whether it's anime or not.

TricksterJANE
(ノ◕ヮ◕)...

Old 01-04-2014, 05:05 PM

I was referring to sites like crunchy roll and anime season, that would just randomly have Kim Possible on them, with a description calling it an anime. It was a random thing and I was slightly confused by it, but I ignored it until I also saw Invader Zim, Billy and Mandy, and Teen Titans on the same one.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM

Crunchyroll isn't just anime, they also do a lot of j-dramas and k-dramas now too, but they are a legal streaming site, unlike Anime Season. Though Crunchyroll wasn't always legal, so they probably put up a lot of other stuff to drive traffic and make money. They seem to be branching out into Manga now. Same general idea, putting up more content to draw in more traffic and try to get people to pay to subscribe to their content now that they're legal.

Haven't seen any non-anime stuff on Anime Season, but I have seen it on some other forgettable sites that I visited maybe once and never again. For the most part, I watch all of my anime on Crunchyroll and Hulu these days :)

April Fool
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 PM

Crunchyroll = Coffee Prince

Oh wait, anime, right.
Hrm. Uhm. Herp. Derp.
Oh, right.

Crunchyroll = Log Horizon

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 04-07-2014, 03:01 PM

I'm with you Jane, I think there's a huge difference between anime and cartoons.

I think this website does a good job explaining the differences: Anime vs Cartoon - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Quote:
ANIME Distinct facial expressions. Wide variation in physical characteristics. Physical features of characters are, on the whole, closer to reality than cartoons.
CARTOON Characters usually have features that are not relative to the rest of the body and therefore further from reality than anime.
Quote:
Death Note, Bleach and One Piece are examples of famous anime shows. Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny and Superman are examples of cartoons.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TricksterJANE View Post
I was referring to sites like crunchy roll and anime season, that would just randomly have Kim Possible on them, with a description calling it an anime. It was a random thing and I was slightly confused by it, but I ignored it until I also saw Invader Zim, Billy and Mandy, and Teen Titans on the same one.
Teen Titans could technically be considered "anime."
The art style is like the ones below.

Hi Hi PuffyAmiyumi Show:

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt:

Not all anime is the same.
The two listed above, even Teen Titans, come from Japan.