Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm quite happy with all of the games I've been involved in here, but what's killing my RP mojo is the pace or speed the games take on after about two weeks.

For someone who comes from a chat/IM RP background and checks their RP thread subscriptions more than once a day but sees no new posts on several RPs over the course of a week it starts to feel like I'm watching paint dry. I'm sure we all know why forum RPs get sluggish... Some people get busy or they don't check their subscriptions, or they forget about replying... but what I'm asking is how do you fix it?
  • What do you do to make sure you keep pace with your games?
  • What do you do to make sure others keep pace with your games?
  • Is it rude to send a message/ping to someone on the OOC thread to remind them to post?
  • Should/have you sought out players who are good about replying often?
  • What do you consider as "a good pace"
  • Do you like the pace of the replies, but not the pace of the storyline?
  • Do you find games with more players have a harder time keeping pace? (Referring only to Group RP)

NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 PM

Well, personally I get to know my partners and talk with them daily. That way they are on friendly terms with you if you want to ask them to reply to your rps. I also rp with basically one or two trustworthy people.
When I post a thread asking for a partner, I often make sure that the person can reply daily or once every two days as often as possible. Of course people get busy from time to time or lack motivation to rp. This is when they should be sending through a pm explaining this, or something similar.
A good pace for me would be daily, or every few days or so. This can change depending on who it is, what rp it is or how busy I am during the week.
I think other than communication, one needs to find someone that subscribes to their rps, that way not forgetting all about replying. Try to find someone that checks their account page regularly.
Personally, I dislike group rps. If one person gets busy it can make the whole rp slow right down and if one person disappears, that's the rp gone. That and your character can get pushed aside or forgotten and I like reaction from my partners.
I hope this helped answer a few questions.

Angelo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 AM

Typically, I try to check every day, and come up with an idea for a post by the end of the week if I can't post right away. I find that I'm typically on top of things with that system, though things come up from time to time. I also subscribe to every thread that I'm involved in.

I tend to wait a week or so and then send them a message or ping them. Sometimes they just forget and could use a reminder. It's definitely happened to me before. I obviously don't think that it's rude to send them a message via the OOC, but I prefer a pm. I don't care much for pings, but only because you don't really know where it came from until you follow the link. My anxiety just peaks when I see one there for an unknown reason.

I think that the answer to whether you should look for people who respond in a timely manner is a definite yes, though not at first. If you're first roleplaying with someone, just see where it goes first. If you've roleplayed with them before, and you know that they don't respond often at all, then don't bother.

Pacing really depends. Some of the best roleplays that I've been in have slow, but consistently great, while others have been fast-paced and of equal quality. It really depends on the roleplay and the people involved.

You could argue both honestly. Just think back to how many rps didn't get past the first day. Fast replies are fine, but not when the plot stagnates. I believe that it requires a balance to be good.

That depends on who you're playing with. Some people are notorious at dropping out without a word, sometimes before the rp even starts. Personally, I've had some similar experiences with one on ones, so I tend to avoid those. As for the particular issue of people becoming busy in a group rp, why not have them send a quick message telling the other players how their character wants to react and let them work collaboratively to come up with a short little response to get them out of the way until the owner can return? That would help keep the story from stagnating, as well as keep it more fair. No one player can use the owner's absence to their advantage then.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM

I check all my rps pretty much all day since I'm always online when I'm not in class or sleeping, but I WILL NOT just sit there and reply all day. Seriously, I have other things I could be doing and I'm primarily a forum chatter, not an rper. I don't mind being nagged to rp because sometimes I'll put it off too much, but I would be sososo pissed if someone was nagging me almost every day.

I think a good pace is once a day on average. I kinda like sporadic pacing though. Sometimes I'll get in 30 posts in one rp a day and then I we won't rp in it for a week. I do like to be able to post in my favorite rps as much as possible, but I don't mind when I don't get to. I do like to keep in touch with my partners though, just so we know the other is still around even if they're not replying.

I only message a partner to nag for a reply if I really think they've forgotten. If I think they've ditched me, I don't chase after them. I whine to my best friend for rp replies all the time though because I know she has so little time and energy for it that she needs a prod just like I do sometimes.

flamethrower1391
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via Yahoo to flamethrower1391

Old 04-25-2013, 05:52 AM

I work 10 hrs a day, currently 6 days a week and have an 8 month old baby, and I can still get on twice a day within a 4 hour time period. The one and only roleplay I'm in at the moment, no one has posted for 4 days. I didn't take any other rps on, because I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up in both. I like rps that ask for you to post at least once a day. It's fast, but not too fast that you have no idea what's going on.

Sezumie
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 AM

I agree, I'm not a fan of slow roleplays, but I have a slight social anxiety problem, so I usually just end up waiting patiently or taking on more rps for that time being. The once a day bit is a very useful rule, but sometimes the plot of the rp seems too fast for me despite the other replying so slow, so I usually slow it down to a pace I can follow when I reply.

Either way, I've just recently picked up the dusty key board and started up roleplaying again, so I'm still so rusty and getting back into the whole pace system. Though usually I'm subscribed to the thread so I know if they've replied from the email so I can answer later.

Group RP's are a pain for me to keep up with, if I miss a day or so, I might have to go through 2-3 pages worth of stuff depending on everyone's activeness, and it had peeved me when I first started roleplaying, so I do prefer small groups or just one on one's. Much easier to manage.