CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2009, 03:41 AM

Image Treasure Hunting

Want to get your grubby little paws on those elusive Georgia Peach tee-shirts? Well - as usual, if you can't meet us at a Georgia convention to get one, you'll have to work for it. ;)

Since I'll be going to Atlanta, Georgia's Dragon*Con tomorrow and very few people seem to be able to go this year, I'm holding a contest for you to be able to win one or both shirts! Whoo hoo!

Last time I asked you to write creative excuses about why you couldn't come to Momocon. But I decided to do things a little differently this time around. I want you to show me at least ten photographs and/or drawings of things I list out in a treasure hunt.

Proceed to the next post for rules and tips. ;)

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 AM

RULES
0) Post in this thread ONLY if you are submitting an entry.
The commentary thread is located HERE.
1) All work must be your own.
No stealing off of the internet. No editing someone else's work to fit. You must take the photograph yourself or draw it yourself. Sight-copying or tracing are a no-no. "Heavily referencing" without credit to the original artist is considered plagiarism and will result in an infraction against your account.
2) If you are taking a photograph, the photo must include some sort of sign with your username on it.

3) If you are drawing something, please create new work, not recycle old artwork.

4) Entries must be posted in this thread by September 12, 2009 to qualify.
Entries will probably be closed sometime in the evening of the 12th. Please note that it means my evening. To find out the current date and time in my area, click here.
5) Entries must be PG-13 or below in nature.

6) Your entry must include at least ten (10) of the treasure hunt goals to qualify.
Including more than ten does not guarantee you a prize, but it certainly increases your chances. If you'd like to add more to your entry, please edit your post to add them!
7) Participating does not guarantee you will win.
You know that disclaimer, "Many will enter - few will win."? Totally applies here.
8 ) Enter only on your main account. No mules, please.
If you share a computer with other people, you may be questioned as to who-all else is on your account if they enter as well.
9) No joint entries, please.
I can't divide a shirt in half. >_>; That doesn't mean that if you and a friend/relation/significant other live in the same area and want to work on your entries together (ie: drive around town taking photos) that it's not okay - just submit the photos you took/drawings you made separately. :) In this case you may take a photo of the same person/object, as long as they contain different notes with your screen names on them. Taking the photo from different angles/different poses would be best.
10) Please include the following information when you submit:
- Which gender shirt you would prefer (Male or Female) if you won.
- The category for each submission you enter (ie: if you took a photograph of a dragon tattoo you label it "dragon".)
- A comment about at least one of the entries. (ie: "Taking a photo of the dragon tattoo was the hardest because my friend - the guy with the tattoo - kept moving.")
Example entry:
Shirt - I'd like a Female shirt!
Entries -
1. Dragon (link)
2. (etc)
Comment -
The dragon tattoo photo was the hardest, even though it was the first one I found! The guy kept moving as I tried to take his photo!

Tips/Notes/Questions that might come up.
1) Note that the more creative entries are the ones that are most likely to win shirts.
2) It is perfectly fine to mix art and photos if you can't draw something or you can't find something to take a photograph of.
3) Skill in artwork is not mandatory! But be clever, creative, or funny. ;)
4) HUMOR IS WIN.
5) Please note that if you have any questions, I will most likely be unable to respond to them until Monday, September 7th as I will be at Dragon*Con. Please PM the questions and wait. :) Questions can be PMed or posted in the Announcement thread. :) I'll get to them asap.
6) If you've already won a shirt before/already own a shirt - yes, you can enter again, if you want. It won't count against you if you already have the shirts.
7) Video entries are perfectly acceptable as long as they display the necessary objects required. (A list of which items are included in the video should be noted.)
8 ) Oekaki and other online drawing services may be used for your drawings.
9) Yes, stick-figures are fine. I recommend you be very clever/creative/funny, though...
10) Menewsha staff may enter.
EDIT:
11) As to how "famous" a "famous" thing must be - I must be able to quickly and easily find this "famous" thing by plugging it into Google to verify that it exists. ;)
12) An entry (drawn or photographed) may cover multiple categories at the same time - just make sure to label what all I'm meant to look for in there. (ie: If you find a statue of a dragon hugging a robot, it would count for both the dragon and robot categories. If you drew an image with ten of the things in there, make sure to include a list of all the things you put in the drawing.)
(NOTE: If you "combine" entries in this way, please make it so awesome and creative that I just can't stand it and I explode from how awesome it is. ;) )
Related to this...
Quote:
Let's pretend that you took a photo of your television as it played the Scooby Doo Halloween Special. The Mummy or Dracula would count towards the "undead", but it couldn't count as a famous cartoon character and the undead. However, if Scooby or Shaggy were on the screen at the same time, you have your "undead" and "famous cartoon character". ;)

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 AM

The Categories/Treasure Hunt "Items"
Remember that you only have to provide ten of these - not all of them! (But the more effort you put into your entry, the better...)

If a category says "something ____", then I mean something that could be associated with that. Ex: If I said "Something Menewsha-esque" you might think of a hairpin or a black cat or a golden crown. Be creative - but be prepared to justify the item you chose. ;)

For the curious, these are based on the various "Fan Tracks" associated with Dragon*Con's panels. :)
  • A dragon
  • Something "steampunk"
  • A spaceship/rocket
  • Someone with a haircolor not found in nature
  • A famous cartoon character
  • A tool of an artist's trade
  • Something very British
  • A famous comic book character
  • A mask
  • Something "undead"
  • A piece of electronic equipment/hardware
  • A game piece
  • Something related to making movies
  • A book
  • A robot
  • Something a scientist would use
  • Something distinctly Asian
  • A planet
  • Something "Star Trek"
  • An elf
  • Something paranormal
  • Something music-related
  • Something related to a classic fairy tale
  • A wheel
  • A dollhouse

Nalah Sin
Mostly harmless

Old 09-05-2009, 12:53 AM

The forum ate the first version of this post. A browser crash the second one. Please bear with me and ignore any typos below this point, I'm rather tired and frustrated right now... :P

I hope it's okay for me to post my entries in stages, but I know myself far too well: I would probably forget to post half of my "treasures" if I waited until I have collected everything.
(If it's a bother, though, please just delete this and I'll try to re-post it after finishing everything.)

Shirt:
I would like to eventually wear one myself, so of course I would go for the female one!

Entries:
  • 1-6:

(Click me, I'm a thumbnail!)

The Dragon: So, that was a tough one. I have a kind of dracomania, at least considering how many dragon figurines, candle holders, clocks, fountains, caskets, chests, books, plushies, etc I own. But it just kind of had to be my lovely chamber stick this time!

The Book: Artfully punched leather wraps cover and sewn pages - with the money I left at that renaissance fair booth I might have bought quite a lot of actually useful stuff, but then again - I wouldn't have had anything to put on my first Image Treasure Hunting picture, right?

The Musical Item: Ha, yes, I know using sheets for representing music isn't exactly creative, but they just so fit the overall concept of this picture. A concept not at all creative itself, but... oh, well.

The Fairytale: Look, it's Snow Whites apple! It might be poisonous, but it just looks so terribly delicious it won't be around long enough for a second picture...

The Artist's Tool: So, is there anything more art related than a simple quill? It can be used for so many artsy things - poems, books, illustrations, calligraphy, music sheets... oh, and of course for adding that little something to a cheap, semi-nostalgic Image Treasure Hunting photograph.

The Asian Item: I know, I'm addicted. My Asian collecting actually outweighs my dragon stuff, but since I always wanted to own one of those sword stands between all my Asian treasures I decided on the cheap ten buck made-in-china toy. But, hey, it makes for a terrific accessory on my roleplaying bookshelf - and for a lousy addition to this lousy photograph.
  • 7:

The Game Piece: You ask for a game piece - I give you 32! Special offer, only valid thru September 12th!
  • 8:

The Hardware: You ask for a... okay, the joke's getting old. But I hope you still enjoy this very special still life. I'm sure Leonardo would have been proud of me.
  • 9-10:

The Odd Colour: I always thought that natural hair was kind of boring, so I'm able to present you with the most cliche "Everybody does the Photo-in-front-of-mirror" self portrait.

The Undead: So I printed out my pretty self portrait, put it in this lovely frame and... now I'm not sure whether the undead's on the frame or rather in the picture.
  • 11-12:

The Comic Star: So there's this age old question deadly wars have been fought over - can a Manga still be called a Comic?

The Cartoon Star: I say - if the Japanese call all Comics Manga and all Cartoons Anime, of course you can!

The Bonus: And just in case, there's still this little starlet in green that has accompanied me all of my life, both in drawn and animated form.
  • 13-20/21

The Elf: Phineas Trihughers, as everyday, was working on his newest invention, when his sharp ears read a strange noise approaching.

(The English Cliche: One could argue that his legs look extremely British, but then again I've seen German tourists wear that very same deadly ensemble...)

The Scientific Tools: He first lifted his magnifying glass (it's a bit hard to see at this size, but it's the thing attached to the goggles) and then his goggles altogether to search the sky for the source of this unwelcome disruption of his work. Just in case he raised his wrench (one could argue whether that qualifies, so let's just go with the magnifier) to be prepared for any eventuality.

The Robot: Behind him his giant spider robot started moving, mimicking it's master's looks into the skies.

The Steampunk Reference: Smoke was raising from its chimneys, it's hydraulic hinges screamed with every movement of the huge machinery.

The Wheel: Phineas had actually just adjusted the wheel controlling the boiler pressure (there, right beneath the front leg), so it was feeling all healthy and ready to face any opponent trying to best them.

The Spaceship: But neither the spider, nor poor Phineas were prepared for the angular... thing... descending from above. They were unsure what to make of it, for they did not know that it was the shuttle aptly called Mene, primary shuttle of the famous USS Nisha-Lan under the command of Captain T'Busy.

The Star Trek Reference: And it was this very same Captain T'Busy disembarking, on a mission of peace and exploration.

The Planet: A mission she had just pretty much failed on this planet's sister planet Twarv (there, it's the strange shape behind the mountain), but let's just blame this fact on the less peaceful Twarves...

Comments:
I know, I'm already wasting precious space at the Entries section, but still. I just have to appologise for the poor quality of my first entry all of my entries. I don't have my photography equipment at hand (as in: 800 miles distance between the two of us - so my cellphone camera had to do the job), but sadly I do have access to a graphics program in order to add those terribly cheap effects. Bad combination...

Oh, and I planned on making a coloured version of the drawing - but Gimp crashed after about two hours of work (with me not saving, of course), so I'm too frustrated to follow through with that idea right now. :P

Last edited by Nalah Sin; 09-12-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Astrelle
*^_^*

Old 09-06-2009, 12:50 PM

Shirt - Female shirt plz!

Entries:
1. Something electronic http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2004.jpg
2. Something british http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2005.jpg
3. An Elf http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...nTears/elf.jpg
4. A robot http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2014.jpg
5. Artist tool http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2007.jpg
6. Something scientists use http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2015.jpg
7. Something from a fairy tale http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2016.jpg
8. Music related http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2011.jpg
9. Hair color not found in nature http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2013.jpg
10. Something asian http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Japan2006.jpg

Comment - So I'm currently studying abroad in Tokyo... only been here a week and wasn't feeling good this weekend... and ended up being stuck in my room... so this is what I have so far with my limited resources.
1. Electronic - cell phone. Pretty self explanatory... I only wish I knew how everything worked. *still pretty newb at Japanese*
2. I have become addicted to Milk Tea. The bottle reads..."Afternoon tea has been drunk by the English ever since the costum was started by the Duchess of Bedford in the mid 19th century." I'd say that's pretty British.
3. Astrelle is an elf. Note how I point to my ears.
4. My rice cooker is a robot. It know exactly when to cook the rice until and I think it can understand me. It likes to finish just as I start yelling about how hungry I am.
5. That's a pencil if you couldn't tell. Pretty basic, also horribly effective at spreading those mental images no one else wants.
6. Scientists use money. How else do they fund their crazy experiments? (Yes I'm aware the money is Yen and I have dollar signs in my eyes.
7. Rapunzel Rapunzel let down your hair! ...anyone who has long hair knows you have to brush your hair daily or it gets all tangled. Rapunzel's gotta go threw more hair brushes than you can imagine.
8. That's an ipod I'm listening to. Pretty good for carrying around music.
9. Okay, there are red heads, but they all have more of an orangey hair color. No one has hair THAT red Luke fon Fabre! (Main character from Tales of the Abyss) Also I apologize my camera didn't want to focus on what I wanted to. It was much more interested in the phone and my laptop charger.
10. Koalas are asian as is this snack. All koalas featured in this picture were eaten. Don't worry - they were delicious.

Couzaca
Brad*
Send a message via MSN to Couzaca Send a message via Yahoo to Couzaca

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 AM

Shirt - I'd loooooovvvvvvvvvvvvee a male shirt!

Entries -
1. mask- [x]
2. A book- [x]
3. Music related- [x]
4. something an artist would use- [x]
5. Movie making related- [x]
6. Comic book character- [x]
7.Undead- [x]
8. Wheels- [x]
9. Asian Obvious- [x]
10. Cartoon- [x]
11. Scientist tool- [x]

Comment -
1.First one I thought about because for some reason I think its the coolest thing

2. The first hairy potter book I got for my 6th birthday that was signed by J.K Rowling its speccccccccial!

3. about 1/5th of my band t shirt collection every time I go to a concert I buy a t shirt and I never buy a band t shirt if I haven't seen them unless there dead.

4. The first thing I came to mind was camera because my cusin is a professional photographer (lucky &@#!$#) so heres a picture of my gran pa and the masks that root back to all my childhood nightmares :sarcasm: [x]

5. Its a tripod (OH NO WAR OF THE WORLDS DDD: ) Most cameras are held still/propped up by them.

6. -theme song music- nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah BAAAAAAAAAAATMAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN TOP HAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!! (cheesy ;) )

7. Resident evil best game for fighting hordes of undead EVAR!

8. Its my ANtique dune buggy (FROM THE SIXTIES :poke: ) I pulled and worked on the engine three times this summer and that whole time i was listening to this song little dune buggy - P.U.S.A. if you can't connect this to wheels I swear to god :gonk:

9. Sun Tzu's art of war which most military powers base there militarily's strategies on this guy conkered and created china you can't get more Chinese then that.

10. CHARMANDER I CHOOSE YOUUUU!!! (pokemon used to be my fav cartoon when I was little)

11. SCIENTIFIC CALCULATOR CALCULATES SCIENCE!

Last edited by Couzaca; 09-07-2009 at 04:45 AM..

Vexous
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 AM

Entry:

Shirt: I'd like to have the Female shirt please

Entries - note my entry is an image i have drawn, it contains:
1. Dragon (tattoo)
2. Something "steampunk" (goggles)
3. Someone with a haircolor not found in nature (purple hair)
4. A tool of an artist's trade (paints)
5. A famous comic book character (Spiderman)
6. A mask (covered in paint
7. Something "undead" (she's a vampire)
8. A game piece (chess board and game pieces)
9. A book (the spiderman book)
10. Something a scientist would use (beakers, and test tubes)
11. Something distinctly Asian (Chinese style top...thats Asian right O.o)
12. A planet (a globe of the planet earth)
13. An elf (she has the ears)
14. Something paranormal (a pentagram, wards of evil spirits)
15. Something music-related (a radio!!!)
16. Something related to a classic fairy tale. (the fairy is meant to be tinker bell.... :D)
17. A wheel. (on the legs of the table for the radio)

here's the link : Click!

Comment -
OKAYS! the whole idea was really just to have fun, i was bored and thought 'why not draw the whole thing and try to make it make sense....... well i think i failed but oh well it was FUN!
i added more then 10 as i thought that maybe not all of them would be accepted (i doubt the whole thing will lolz) for example an elfish Vampire O.o yeah i dont wanna know how that was made XD. i tried to make it humorous, well it makes me laugh. i wanted to have all the items in there to begin with but a robot just looked so out of place and well i know nothing about star trek. i stuffed up on the dragon the head kept looking like a dog :P so i only drew it's wings and tail.
anyways i hope you enjoy the image, oh and i'm sorry if the colorings not the best, i'm still rather new at it.

DariaMorgendorfer
La La La La La, you're standing ...

Old 09-08-2009, 05:16 AM

I'd love to win a female shirt.

Okay, so here's the deal...With a lot of these pictures, I went out and took them in public places where a "sign" saying "DariaMorgendorfer" woulda looked seriously weird. Sooo, I hope it's okay...but I added DariaMorgendorfer in via paint...All the photos are time/date stamped so you can tell they are new for the scavenger hunt. Soo, if they don't count cause I didn't follow the rules...Than I understand, but I had a total blast playing and really that's what matters! All art photographed here was with permission of the artists at the artwalk I was at. I did have a few people say "no you may not photo my art" and I of course respected their wishes. And with that...Here are my entries!

The dragon I found is a really cool metal cutout. http://tinypic.com/r/ixrtlf/3
For Something Steampunk I found this amazing steampunk scorpion http://i30.tinypic.com/ejv1ok.jpg
My spaceship is right outta my childhood...We had one of these when I was a kid...Well my dad did...and he didn't share his toys! http://i25.tinypic.com/32zt6og.jpg
This guy was sooo cool. I walked up to him and asked if he'd let me take a picture of his hair because it was sooo cool! And he did! With all that work that color and cut musta taken...I guess I shouldn't be surprised! http://i26.tinypic.com/2r5vqde.jpg
Need you ask which famous cartoon character I'd pick? This is the T-shirt I wore around the art walk while taking photos. http://i31.tinypic.com/f0y9sp.jpg
These are my clay sculpture tools...Notice the not so subliminal message here...http://i25.tinypic.com/308w9i9.jpg
What could be more British than Harry Potter? Notice, this is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone...Not the Sorcerer's stone! I got this book in the Heathrow airport while waiting for a plane http://i32.tinypic.com/volfo5.jpg
You ask for one famous comic book character, and I give you two! In dolly form! Check out the fantastic 4 dolly style
http://i29.tinypic.com/33x78tw.jpg Here's the inside so you can see the dolls better http://i29.tinypic.com/2gshi06.jpg
This mask was so amazing! You gotta see it to believe it. http://i27.tinypic.com/x4qiqt.jpg
My something undead is a real treat. This is a lesbian dominatrix zombie sock monster at play. http://i27.tinypic.com/1gq0ax.jpg She even has her own tiny bull whip, pierced....and is all chained up!
This clock made out of old computer parts is a great example of a piece of electrical equipment turned into art http://i30.tinypic.com/k9gqy0.jpg
My gamepiece is the largest game piece I could find. A vintage Ouja board planchette! http://i28.tinypic.com/2ibcmsh.jpg
Costumes are very related to making movies....Here are a gazillion cool costumes awaiting use in the right flick!http://i31.tinypic.com/2v84qk1.jpg
The book I found is a classic kids story... http://i29.tinypic.com/qmz8kj.jpg
Is this not the coolest Robot ever? http://i29.tinypic.com/2ni0dh0.jpg
What scientist would be complete without this item? http://i28.tinypic.com/j8z71e.jpg
This was the best excuse ever for something distinctly Asian... Conveyor belt Sushi! http://i27.tinypic.com/2aaj1fq.jpg
Sadly, this planet was destroyed by those crazy intergalactic rebels. http://i30.tinypic.com/6qgwag.jpg
If Barbie and Ken were on Star Trek, they'd totally look like this! http://i27.tinypic.com/sgptgy.jpg
This elf is too hot for words...Seriously, during the LOTR trilogy, I wanted Legolas cam...All Legolas all the time! http://i31.tinypic.com/15zjtib.jpg
Here's something paranormal...And kinda cute too! http://i27.tinypic.com/qoyjj5.jpg
Okay every classic fairytale needs a princess....and this little princess knows marketing! At the ripe old age of about 6, she is already selling her art at the artwalk. Cute little bugger isn't she. http://i26.tinypic.com/2qsts0w.jpg
What would music be...Without a DJ to play it? http://i30.tinypic.com/2hdtd3t.jpg
I found a wheel...and it was attached to a fuzzcycle! Honest officer, I just want a picture...Of the wheel of your bike!
http://i25.tinypic.com/2wrky78.jpg
I wanted one of these really badly as a kiddo...My parents gave me a "barbie doll house"...When I was...13. A little late guys! http://i26.tinypic.com/2ufzzep.jpg

Hey CK....Can we have this for our avatars....PUHLEASE! You know it would be cool...It screams "gay ice skater"...Not that that's a bad thing! http://i30.tinypic.com/1q0t4p.jpg

Last edited by DariaMorgendorfer; 09-08-2009 at 06:46 AM..

StripedSocks`
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 AM

Entries -

* A dragon - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7382.jpg
* Something "steampunk" - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7400.jpg
* A spaceship/rocket - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7395.jpg
* A famous cartoon character - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7387.jpg
* A tool of an artist's trade - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7392.jpg
* Something very British - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7394.jpg
* A famous comic book character - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7391.jpg
* A mask - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7385.jpg
* Something "undead" - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7386.jpg
* A piece of electronic equipment/hardware - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7397.jpg
* A game piece - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7384.jpg
* Something related to making movies - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7396.jpg
* A book - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7381.jpg
* A robot - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7398.jpg
* Something a scientist would use - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7399.jpg
* Something distinctly Asian - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7383.jpg
* Something music-related - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7388.jpg
* A wheel - http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...n/IMG_7390.jpg

Comment -
This was soooo much fun! I loved it! C:

Larele
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Shirt: I'd like the female shirt, please, if I am one chosen.

Entries: Vigilance 1200x933
Color Scheme- Analogous

This is my version of Little Red Riding Hood-since the versions vary, I chose to place the dragon as grandma and the hunter -as one version of the story says- The elf is "Red", and the wolf is himself. :3

Oh woeful maiden of the clouds, why is it you weep? A lowly voice calls out from the deep. Answers she- My friend has fallen into eternal sleep! My beloved guardian, my cherished companion-the great dragon has passed into another realm. Says she-this is why I weep. Oh woeful maiden of the clouds, play your harp, and say these words..and you shall be-forever mine. Close your eyes. Speak no more. Says the wolf in the tree-forever more-you shall-belong to me. Says she-Oh great tree, your voice is sharp and cold, why are you angry with me? Says the wolf in the tree- Oh woeful maiden your voice is far too weak, come closer to me-and speak. Says she- Dear, old tree, you seem unwell, how may I help thee? Says the wolf in the tree- Tis merely the wind, my dear, now-come to me. Says she- only if you free the dragon, and take me. Says the wolf in the tree- As you wish, my prey, now come-come away. Says she- Dear old tree, do you promise me-in saying you shall set my friend free from grave-shallow and dreary? Says the wolf in the tree- Of course, my dear, he shall be free! Says she- the harp has been played-but I know I’ve been-betrayed.

Says the dragon- You needn’t worry over a lie, dear child, for there is a greater tie-

I was always with you.

Says she- Oh! Great friend! Please, say you’ll never go! Says the wolf in the tree-How-could this-be so?! Says the grand dragon aglow with the stars’ light- cowardly wolf, I do not seek a fight-simply leave, and all shall be-right.

With the dragon’s mighty voice, the wolf turned away, never to be seen-another day...

Preview:
WARNING- LARGE FILE - Actual Size: http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/little_girl_in_the_window/Vigilance-ContestEntry-Mene-Lare-1.png

Miso with a side of paintbrush!
Color Scheme- Warm
Tiime Taken: September 6th

Actual Size:

Spirit's mask
Color Scheme- Cool
Time Taken: September 6th

Actual Size:

abnormal hair-color: yellow-green (elf)
art tool: 0/5 paintbrush (my own)
Asian: Miso-soup (from memory) I once was taken to a small, Japanese restraunt, where red clouds were painted on the wall, and a cheerful lady says "Miso soup?" and places a bowl in front of you.
classic fairytale: Little Red Riding Hood (from Grimm's Fairytales)
dragon: from memory (and my darling models; Freckles and Ratler; http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/little_girl_in_the_window/Freckles.jpg & http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/little_girl_in_the_window/SilverEyes.jpg -Ratler is my Silver-eyed dragon, and Freckles is my pwitty Flower. <3
elf: used avatar then tried a pose from memory (she's in the clouds)
mask: inspired by one of my old favorites; Spirit; http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/little_girl_in_the_window/Spirit-marked-Larele-09.png
music: harp-taken from the Irish punt (mine went missing, so I 'borrowed' one)
paranormal: dragon, elf, and wolf, and graveyard
planet: made up
undead: dragon and wolf
wheel: water-wheel

Comments: This is my first time entering a contest.
Vigilance- Everyone seems to be watching someone. :3 I really like the overall spiritual feel of this.
I'm not sure why I chose the colors here, but I love how they blend so well. <3

References and Credits:
Harp-http://www.computer-2tr.com/Ireland/_images/money/Irish_pound.jpg
Little Red Riding Hood- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Red_Riding_Hood

~ Entries: The Dream 406x1391
Color Scheme-Monochromatic
Preview:
WARNING- LARGE FILE- Actual Size: http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac16/little_girl_in_the_window/ContestEntry-Mene-TheDream-Larel-1.png

Time Taken: September 7th-September 10th

abnormal hair-color: elf
art tool: sponge (used with watercolors), glue (multipurpose), Q-tip (for blending), sketch-book (for doodles and finals alike), and of course a mouse (for computer art).
Asian: Cherry Blossoms, Koi
book: sketch book, and a book I made up (just for a laugh), it says: Read Me (please)
British: I had trouble finding something for this one, so I started off with what countries make up Britian, and took Nessie; Loch Ness Monster from Scottland
classic fairytale: From Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty, I took the needle and a rose, to symbolize "Rose" and the needle that sent her into a century of sleep
dragon: just a shadow, I didn't go into detail with this one, as it was meant to be a simple marking on the hot air balloon (along with the clouds)
electronic: mouse
elf: using my avatar as a reference, I made a simple headshot (Nessie is in her hair)
game piece: I took the White Knight from Chess, some tiles from scrabble; A,R,T, and Y, and two "stones" from Reversi
mask: just a little thing I made up, I think it looks a little like cracked-porcelain
music: harp
paranormal: elf, koi, and White Knight
planet: just another of my made-up things
steampunk: watch, hot air balloon
undead: Nessie
wheel: small wheel

Comments: Yes, I know it is cluttered, but in a good way. :3 This time I strayed from my usual soft lines and colors, and made this little experiment. I plan to turn this into a bookmark someday. lol This was also my first time with item-cramming. XD I really like the flow of it too. The result of 'burning the midnight oil'. >>;

I hope someone else enjoys them as much as I do..and I hope they are thought of as creative. ^^

References and Credits: -because I'm so paranoid of plagairism-
Cherry Blossom- http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/mostpopularflowers/morepopularflowers/cherry-blossom
Koi- http://www.dorsetkoikeepers.co.uk/css/images/circle_of_koi.jpg -Hikari Muji
Nessie- http://www.nessie.co.uk/
Reversi- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversi
Scrabble- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Scrabble_board_in_play.jpg
Steampunk- http://antiquescollectibles.suite101.com/article.cfm/elements_of_steampunk_style
White Knight- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/3/31/20080101184654!Chess_piece_-_White_knight.JPG

Odd fact:

~All of my art here is made in Image Broadway, with a mouse..while in a pair of dark blue sunglasses~ XD

Last edited by Larele; 09-13-2009 at 01:08 AM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 AM

Shirt - I'd like a Female shirt please =)
Entry - A single drawing I made. (Thanks to Larele for having me get gimp <3)

Title: The Epic Battle of the Dude on the Right
By: Kaze-bear

Checklist - If you can't find all 10 items, ^_^ use the checklist to find them all and their locations. (Didn't wanna write all over the drawing)

SPOILERX

1 A dragon - Middle left of the screen. (It's big and green)
2 A spaceship/rocket - Being ridden on by the elf. Also has wheels.
3 Someone with a haircolor not found in nature - weird colored haired elf.
4 A tool of an artist's trade - Bottom.
5 A mask - Being worn by the elf.
6 A book - Image is an attempt at a book cover of a story. (Hence the Title, Author, and book-ish shape)
7 A planet - Middle of the image.
8 An elf - Middle right of screen.
9 Something music-related - Boom-box and Musical notes located on and above the planet.
10 A wheel - On the Rocket

See story for details ;)

Comment - Drawing came out a lot better than I thought it would, being my first time actually trying from scratch on gimp and very little practice. As for the image itself... that just popped into my head randomly XD

I think my favorite part of the drawing is the dragon, and I'm quite amazed I was able to make it as well as I did, since the only "tutorial" I've ever seen was "How to draw a dragon by Strongbad". Which doesn't help with realism, though if I coulda I'd have drawn "Trogdor the Burninator" as a "famous character", but I can't draw the beefy arm that comes out of the back of his neck. Here is what I wanted to make, though I couldn't draw most of it, so I decided to make a "story" out of my entry and just draw a regular dragon.

Story - A 486 page book of an epic battle of the masked magician elf with pink and red hair who rides wheeled rockets attempts to battle the boringly common green dragon in order to restore the spilled paintbrush to its rightful place in the Boom-box temple on earth.

--

All the stuff I drew from memory and whatever my imagination attempted to come up with. I didn't use any references, as I can't replicate a drawing/picture anyways (I failed epically at it in art class).

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 09-11-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Kitten Disaster
*^_^*

Old 09-11-2009, 07:34 PM

I am the artist for that comic strip images. :3 100% drawn by me!

Oh, and I would prefer a Female shirt! O:

Quote:

He's spray-painting his freshly-made Power Armor; I'm counting it for Steam Punk, and Tool of an Artist's Trade (he built it, so that is artistic expression).

Quote:

Famous Cartoon Character (x2); the crows from Disney's 'Dumbo', and Gargamel from 'The Smurfs'.
Quote:

Famous Comic Book Character (x2, lol); Nite Owl and Rorschach from 'Watchmen' (yes, it was a comic first! ;p And just as dark as the movie, actually...)
Quote:

Rorschach again, but a different view of him. He wears a mask, so... for Mask. (and yes, that is the Konami Code)
Quote:

Undead Vampire. *w* hiiiissss! (and if that's not enough, ZOMBIE PIG!) Also a creepy creepy ghoul I made for Halloween one year... still freaks me out... ._.
Quote:

Electronic Equipment. I wasn't sure if the first one, a circuit breaker box and wall wiring, would really count as a device or equipment, but the second one has a computer in it, which certainly qualifies.
Quote:

Animal test subject is something Scientist Would Use, which is the little dog on the sofa. ...And generic potato chips. Fairly sure that's at least a little scientific.
Quote:

The guy with the phone is TOTALLY Asian. ^ ,^;; For sure, his phone is.
Quote:

She is standing on a Planet :3
Quote:

Star Trek! xD I should get a bonus for cross-referencing Heroes... xDDDD (j/k)
Quote:

Elf. Kidnapped for your viewing enjoyment. And this treasure hunt.
Quote:

Paranormal. Slime thing... pursued by the... Ghost Bumpers! O:
Quote:

Music-Related. (Headphones plug into a music player!)
Quote:

In a Classic Fairy Tale, there's always some magical sword for the hero to use, and he always gets the girl/treasure!
Quote:

He's behind the Wheel in Mario Cart! O:
Quote:

It's that sexy guy from Dollhouse, smoking a cigarette. (no idea if his character smokes or not... just liked the image)
Quote:

Dungeons are very British, and that's where these guys are! :3 He also has A Haircolor Not Found In Nature. Blue is not a naturally-occurring color! ^ ,^ Who thought Bio Class would actually have rl applications? xD
Quote:

Game Piece design for a game I never actually made... ^ ,^;;; It was waaay too complicated when I finished.
Quote:

Related to Making Movies. Can't have movies without moving pictures! O:
Quote:

He's reading (at least holding) a Book!
Quote:

Isn't Twizzle just the cutest little Robot you ever saw? :3
I referenced them all! xD Yays!

Last edited by Kitten Disaster; 09-11-2009 at 07:40 PM..

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 09-12-2009, 04:58 AM

Shirt - I would rather like a Female shirt!
Entries -
1-2. Undead/Unnaturally colored hair (light teal). - Note this is an olderish picture of ME. That I took after the first time I dyed my hair ever. I thought it was so perfect I had to enter it. :) (The rules only said anything about recycling art...not photographs. If there's anything wrong with this please tell me ASAP, so I can take a new picture.)
3. Famous Comic Book Character - DA HULK~ Taken at a Comic Convention in NYC.
4. Tools of an Artist's Trade... - I am a painter. This was by far the most difficult picture for me to take! Getting all the letters about the same length without them rolling away was a b*tch!
5-9. Cartoon Character/Electronics/Star Trek/Mask/Makin' Movies - Beetlejuice, Headphones, Vulcan handsign, Face mask, the camera has a video function. :D
10. Something Distinctly Asian. - A Geisha! (Shoes/Geisha design from the Ed Hardy designer label. :) )
11-12. Book/Music Related! - Across the Wall by Garth Nix and the Bell Bandolier across Lirael's chest. <3 *Fangirl squealing and drooling.*
2 v 2. Someone with unnaturally colored hair. Decided to go on the safe side and include this too. :)

Oh, and silly me forgot to include a sign with a picture of me with a sign! :) Pardon my ugly self, I just woke up and realized I forgot to add one in yesterday. XD
(...A thought occurs. That is what you meant, right? T_T)

Last edited by monstahh`; 09-13-2009 at 12:16 AM..

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Shirt: I would like a female shirt, should I win one, thank you! :heart:

#1:
• A tool of an artist's trade- She's holding a pencil to her mouth.
• A book- She's looking at a book... a manual for fixing robots?
• Something a scientist would use- She's holding an erlynmeyer flask. Chemists use those!
• Someone with a hair color not found in nature- She's got pinkish-purple hair! And while some things are pink-ish (Pigs, some flowers, etc.) They're not really that shade of pink.
• A robot- There's one in front of her on the table... I think she's trying to fix it.
• Something "steampunk"- She's got on a tophat, steampunk goggles, some watches around her neck, and a background of cogs and clocks.
• Something distinctly Asian- Her shirt says: "Science is a beautiful thing" in Japanese.

#2:
• A game piece- Because they're playing chess, there are chess pieces
• Something "Star Trek"- They're playing Three-dimensional chess, which is from Star Trek ... also, I loosely based the poses on a scene from Star Trek.
• Something paranormal- There's a ghost!
• A famous comic book character- Spiderman is there, too!
• A mask- Spiderman is wearing a mask.

#3:
• Something related to a classic fairy tale- The picture depicts Snow White.

Comment: As many of you probably know, my sister ruined my first version of the first entry, which was both a blessing and a curse. It looks so much better this time around, n'est pas? But I only had one day to make it. D:
Also, there are really neat-looking steampunk goggles on her hat, but my camera at the moment sucks (I'm getting a new one delivered in about a week) and no amount of editing could make them show up, besides the lenses. D:
I used a white-out pen for the shines in Steampunk Girl's eyes, cheeks and goggles.
Also, I used a run-of-the-mill online translator for the Japanese on her shirt, so the grammar is probably awful as is my handwriting... also it's obstructed by her arm and necklaces. All my hard work, gone to waste! Dx

Last edited by ghostPastry; 09-12-2009 at 08:37 AM..

Murchu Volpe
Matticus Chufoxtrain

Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Shirt - Since Ceridwen has been too sick to finish her entry, if she doesn't get it in on time and gifting the shirts to someone else is permissable, I'd like a female shirt to give her. If that's not alright, I'll take a male one. If it's ultimately worthy of one, that is. xD;

Entries -

Link, first and foremost :: Here thar be entry!

1. A dragon :: Atop the tower

2. Something "steampunk" :: That fine gentleman in the steam jetpack

3. A spaceship/rocket :: Locked in battle with the Enterprise

4. Something very British :: The landmass is Great Britain itself! Hopefully recognizable when compared with a map, as I'm no great cartographer

5. A famous comic book character :: Spidey's not sure why Rapunzel bothered letting down her hair

6. A game piece :: Whoever designed Rapunzel's tower was a lousy architect/chess-addict

7. Something related to making movies :: Man, that guy on the crane has all this action to choose from and he picks the hero saving the princess. Laaame

8. A robot :: Our steam-flying hero's battle partner of choice

9. A planet :: Whether it's a regular feature of the night sky or a planet now on a collision course with Earth after having been mistakenly pulled through a wormhole with the Enterprise is for you to decide

10. Something "Star Trek" :: The Enterprise shoots those photon topedos like they're candy. Weapons of mass confection?

11. Something paranormal :: Doesn't that witch know she's perpetuating a stereotype by dressing like that?

12. Something related to a classic fairy tale :: Rapunzel, Rapunzel, get a haircut already

13(?). A wheel :: ... That guy's film crane thing totally has wheels on it. >_> But if that's too insignificant to count, it's cool.

Comments - Ceridwen's last two weeks have been utter hell since I left for the semester... I've been working hard on this between classes and homework just in case she was unable to finish her entry in time because of all the setbacks. I really love her and hope my arting for her shows that regardless of if it deserves a t-shirt in the end. <3

Esmereina
Self proclaimed ingenius ^^

Old 09-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Shirt - I'd like a Female shirt please!

Entries -
1. A tool of an Artist's trade- http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...tistmedium.jpg
2. Distinctly Asian- http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nctlyAsian.jpg
3. A book - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...forDummies.jpg
4. Pieces of electronic equipment all in one place - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...lectronics.jpg
5. Something music related - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...irt/MyIpod.jpg
6. Famous cartoon characters - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...sandTweety.jpg
7. Unnatural hair color - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...inkHairFTW.jpg
8. A scientist's tool - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...entisttool.jpg
9. The mask - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...rt/Themask.jpg
10. The wheel - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t/Thewheel.jpg
11. Something related to a famous fairy tale - http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...iltingRose.jpg

Comment -
I enjoyed finding things to match your requests CK... LOL... It was a little hard...but I managed anyway. I was reluctant to take my own picture at first because I had just woken up... i don't look pretty there..but whatever... lol I did it for you!!!!!!!! :P I did little commentaries on each of the photos because i thought that would be a little interesting approach... i especially love pebbles and tweety's little conversation... lol :) Nothing was altered except for using the text to do the commentaries on the photos...I figured that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the second opportunity CK. Love you! even if i don't win... :)

Calixte Dae
Solo Hero
Send a message via AIM to Calixte Dae

Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 PM

Shirt: I would like a female shirt please!
Entries:

Comment: All of the entries have some sort of comment already written on them. Sorry for the crappy quality, I had to use my phone to take pictures!
Almost everything was found in my house, except for my friend's hair, the dragon vase and the wall mural.
This was a lot of fun ^___^

Cami
(ó㉨ò)

Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 PM

Shirt--I want a female shirt.

Entry--It's a video!

My video includes the following items (I believe in this order)--I'm pretty sure at least ten should actually be acceptable. I introduce them all, so you'll know which items they're supposed to be.
  • Something music-related
  • A book
  • Someone with a haircolor not found in nature
  • A famous cartoon character
  • A tool of an artist's trade
  • A famous comic book character
  • Something distinctly Asian
  • Something related to a classic fairy tale
  • Something paranormal
  • A wheel
  • Something a scientist would use
  • Something "steampunk"
  • A piece of electronic equipment/hardware
  • A game piece
  • A dragon
  • Something "Star Trek"
  • A planet
  • A spaceship/rocket

Comment--My video taking efforts kept being interrupted by the dog, who was very curious as to why I was talking to myself (or at least figured I must be talking to her since no one else was there). During the science book reading, she got spooked by some noise and wouldn't start barking for five minutes, so I had to wait her out before continuing.

I also accidentally covered my webcam with my thumb a few times. XD Like, in the things a scientist would use part, I say in the video, "Another chair" despite not having a first chair. That's because the first chair was unusable because all you can see is my thumb.

Last edited by Cami; 09-12-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Chunsa-chan
Sarang hanindea yo~

Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Shirt - Female Shirt

Entries -
Picture 1-

Comment-
Star Trek- Haha, I'm a science Ensign, what am I inspecting? Fascinating...
Science Blues shirt, Vulcan hand sign (which was an accident!), and 'Chunsa' sign on finger.

Picture 2-

Comment-
Something related to a classic fairy tale- Rapunzel Rapunzel, up in her tower all alone. For only so long could she look outside, dreaming about what she had been denied.
Princess getup and my own naturally long hair. 'Chunsa' sign on foot, click HERE for a better shot of it.

Picture 3- Combo setup

Comment-
A dragon, a book, famous cartoon character, something very British, piece of electronic equipment hardware, something music-related, something distinctly Asian, a famous comic book character, a tool of an artist's trade, a planet.

The Book- Covers- Book, as it is a book. Dragon- Dragon Voice, the main character (featured on the cover) Rin is called the owner of the Dragon Voice. Asian- It's a Manga book, Japanese, and therefore Asian.

Chopsticks- Asian as well, in hair.

Hammer and Cross hook- Tools of an Artist trade- To the left of head

Headphones- Piece of electronic equipment hardware

Necklace wrapped around wrist- Planet- The pendant is an Apollo 11 coin. Featured on it is Earth. Detail shot HERE.

Mulan Doll- Famous cartoon character- ILU MULAN D:

Ron Doll- Something very British- "Bloody hell, wheres Harry Doll to save me from this crazy lady?!"

Ipod- Something music-related

Avenger Comic- Famous comic book character- Captain America

'Chunsa' sign is on finger again.

Last edited by Chunsa-chan; 09-12-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Squid
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Entries -
(1) Dragon like to give hugs to squid!
(2) No, I swear! He's tamed! That's not a hungry glint in his eyes.
(3) I'm not a very good artist, but I tried to draw for you!
(4) http://i28.tinypic.com/afdhrk.jpg]Ii...d this here...
(5) We have you cornered, Batman!
(6) Don't worry. I don't think we'll get infected from this.
(7) This is the guts of my old external hard drive. It died because I tentacle raped it n_n
(8) It's fun getting in to trouble!
(9) Of COURSE squid know how to read!
(10) I drew this for you! It's all of us! (And a robot!) - I know it's an evil robot and all, but he's stuck in that box. He can't hurt us.
(11) Okay, we're sorry we caught your lab on fire, but at least you have this extinguisher here, right. Right?
(12) Must keep up with my studies!
(13) No, I don't think you need to be in space to play this...
(15) But... But... I don't even have ears :c
(16) Yep... It's a wheel, alright. - OH GOD I'M SORRY FOR MY TONE PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!

Comment - After I took the ''distinctly British'' photo, I lost all of my mini-squid (OH NO!) so I had to take the last few with only my big squid D;

I can explain anything if you need me to. For example, I felt like a scientist would need a fire extinguisher in his lab for all of those experiments which spontaneously combust... And in the artist one, he's using my tablet, and you can't see it, but on the screen is the first linked robot image. It's a drawing of all four of the squid... and a robot. You can tell them apart by their colors xD

I went to the mall one day, and saw a little rocket and a girl with pink hair and I wanted to use them buuuut I didn't have my squid with me, so I couldn't :c

Last edited by Squid; 09-13-2009 at 12:34 AM..

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2009, 03:53 AM

Thanks so much for the entries, everyone! It's very nearly 11pm central, so I think that's everyone. :x

I'll post in the Community Discussions forum within the next few days with the winners. :)