salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Why are there so many songs about booties out right now?
Do you think this is just a fad in the music industry, or do you think it will persist?
What do you think the abundance of these songs says about music culture, and society in general?

List of songs about booties that recently came out:

"Anaconda" by Nicki Minaj
"Booty" by Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea
"All About that Bass" by Meghan Trainor
...and more.

Discuss.

SepiaEyes
Le Ice Queen of Pluto

Old 12-03-2014, 10:26 PM

Anal-retentive, perhaps? :)

---------- Post added 12-03-2014 at 05:37 PM ----------

On a serious note, I've not yet seen a non-pop, -hiphop, or -rap song that sung about a young lady's posterior. Mostly because they are probably above that now. They know their listeners would rather not hear Coldplay sing about bums. That would be a bummer. Heh. Okay moving on.

(Most) listeners of pop/hiphop seem to be the dancing type. I don't know a lot of people who can dance without shakin' that thang (I hope to never ever find occasion to use that phrase ever again). So naturally, a song about booty-pops, booty-shaking, booty-grinding, twerking, etc. are going to get that area of the body moving even more. As far as rap? I couldn't tell you why they do that. I like the more serious rap where they actually have some decent lyrics, not a bunch of sexually-charged words and phrases "because it sounds cool and because thug life" or some bs like that. I remember when Trace Adkins (country music, anyone?) sang about "that honkytonk badonkadonk." We get it, guys. You like our butts. You like 'em jiggly and bouncy. We don't need songs about them blowing up the charts every week or month or so.

And Meghan Trainor sang about her bass because of feminism and fat-shaming isn't cool.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-04-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaEyes View Post
And Meghan Trainor sang about her bass because of feminism and fat-shaming isn't cool.
Do you think her song and/or music video included any skinny-shaming?

SepiaEyes
Le Ice Queen of Pluto

Old 12-04-2014, 06:02 AM

I don't really see any skinny-shaming. She does have a stanza devoted to the skinny girls who might think they are fat, but she tells them that they are perfect from their head to their toes.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-04-2014, 04:14 PM

I would agree with you that the **intention** of "All About that Bass" by Meghan Trainor is to empower females who are not "a size two."

Do you think the other two songs I listed are about empowerment as well?

Last edited by salvete; 01-05-2015 at 04:41 AM..

SepiaEyes
Le Ice Queen of Pluto

Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 AM

I can't believe I just tortured myself with those two songs and videos again. Anaconda's okay, because I think it's hilarious; but Booty made me feel uncomfortable. lol And now I have to load up on Nirvana to clean my ears out.

If Anaconda is about empowerment, then I'm the queen of Mongolia. She's just droning on about her colorful sex life. She's not as nice as Meghan Trainor is about the skinny girls. The video and the song itself is obnoxious.

At first, I felt that Booty was sort of empowering for a girl with a big butt. But upon closer examination of the lyrics, I came away with the feeling that the main reason why big booties are awesome is that men like them. What are we? Baboons? It's more degrading than empowering in my opinion. Yes, big bottoms can be beautiful. But to have a song about how "it's his birthday, give him what he ask for"? Come on, girls, you're better than that. Make him work for it. Girls and women are people worth respecting, not some body with a booty and a nice rack for boys to ogle and "want to get with."

CycloneKira
Shoot to kill

Old 12-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaEyes
(Most) listeners of pop/hiphop seem to be the dancing type. I don't know a lot of people who can dance without shakin' that thang (I hope to never ever find occasion to use that phrase ever again). So naturally, a song about booty-pops, booty-shaking, booty-grinding, twerking, etc. are going to get that area of the body moving even more.
That's stupid. Jason Derulo only sings about booties and his songs do not come under the dance category.

I think this booty thing is a fad that'll pass. Jason Derulo'll go out of business then lol

SepiaEyes
Le Ice Queen of Pluto

Old 12-05-2014, 11:12 PM

Well, I don't know. When I was in high school, a Jason Derulo song would start playing on the radio and some of the girls would start writhing like cats in heat and moaning, "Ooooo, Jeesawn Duhroolaw...."

aliceinwonderland99
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 12-28-2014, 03:25 AM

I agree with SepiaEyes on the song "All About the Bass" By Meghan Trainor. Its defiantly an Empowerments to girls not a size two.
And the other two songs, umm... I am glad to say I have not had a chance to listen to them yet and I think I am grateful for it.
And for to topic on hand, most popular music in the top 100 billboard has something on the line of a booty, may it be in a bad way or a good way, its all about your interoperation on it.
And its a fad that has been going on since JLO showed up on the seen....

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 12-30-2014, 07:53 AM

Because booties are rad!

And I'd hardly call "All About That Bass" an empowerment song. The only reason she gives for being bigger being okay is that boys will like it. So it's still the exact same message we get everywhere else - "you're only valuable as long as you're sexually attractive to someone." Fuck that. You're valuable no matter who does or doesn't find you attractive, and it's your body to do with as you like.