maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 PM

Mafia Game

Everyone knows, almost, of the ages old party game known as a variety of names. The most common one being mafia. I say almost because until I played the game online, I had never even heard of it. So for those of you who want to know about the traditional game. I'm providing a linkie link - here.

I know this is quite a mix. A mafia game online moderated by me with a theme of my choosing. It can be a lot of fun. Just ask the Spartan Alliance members who have participated on the cybernations.net website. It is from there that I am stealing the idea. Though I must admit it has been like two years since this has been done. It is okay. It can be fun. As long as you follow the rules and are active. If you are not around and active... you might not be allowed to join future mafia roleplays.

The game is actually very simple. There are two phases of the game. Day and Night. Day is about 72 hours. Night is about 36 hours. There are two teams. There is the townies and the mafia. You goal is to lynch everyone on the opposite team. The catch is that the townies don't know who the mafia are.

Game Play

1. You sign up that you wish to play.
2. The moderator (me) gives you your bio and role via pm.
3. You don't tell ANYONE what your character bio is, I will explain what is public knowledge and what is secret in your bio.
4. The game is split up into Days and Nights.
5. It starts each Day. During this time you roleplay as your character. Your trying to figure out who the mafia members are (or if you are mafia, your trying to not die) so that you can lynch them.
6. You can choose to vote once per Day on who to lynch. There must be a majority ruling in order to lynch someone. If you want to change your vote, make that post bolded and clear.
7. To vote - simply type Vote MaidenRoseHeart in bold. Obviously, replace my name with whoever it is that you wish to lynch. I will give updated vote lists through the Day.
8. At the end of the Day, the moderator (me) will create an end of the day scene. Reading it will help the game along as well as put into effect any actions your character had the ability to do (like vote). If anyone dies, their character and role will be revealed.
9. Then starts Night. During the Night part of the game, there is no talking except by ghosts. They get talk about whatever they want, except the game. It is their chance to give you a hard time for voting for them, aka lynching them.
10. Some characters, like the mafia, have special abilities at night. They know who they are, can only PM about the game at Night and they PM me their decision regarding what actions they wish to take. This is when the mafia can come to a vote to decide who to Night Kill. The townies have several special roles that also have Night actions that they can PM to me.
11. At the end of Night, I post another scene. It again helps keep the game fun. If anyone dies then their information will be revealed.
12. Then starts Day 2... followed by Night 2.
13. I am thinking of having Day last about 72 hours... or three days.
14. I am thinking of having Night last about 36 hours... or two days.
15. If the moderator feels that a lively enough discussion is occurring, then extensions of Day can be granted. Likewise if someone doesn't post during the Day, they will be mod-killed at the end of the Day.
16. If a character is inactive (never posts), then chances of being mod-killed increase.
17. The main job of those participating is to be active. You have to be around to be active. The idea of this game is to last only a few weeks. If you know you won't be online, PM me, or likely hood is your character dies.
18. No quoting PMs, especially from the moderator, in the role play. On that same note do not PM people about the game unless you are mafia and it is Night.
19. No telling others outright what you are or what your abilities are... the only exception is if your about to by lynched and need to defend yourself.
20. Rules subject to adjustment as needed... will be alerted should that happen.

Theme:

For the sake of familiarity, the theme this time is Disney characters.

We can take a vote next time if you want to do something else like star wars or anime.

Characters are Disney heroes/Villains will be given out as bios to those who wish to participate.

Members Sign-Up List:
(Remember, sign up only if your going to actively roleplay.)
(Going to go for an odd number of people if possible.)

1. WherededIGo:
2. Seridano:
3. LonelyOtaku97:
4. BellyButton:
5. TamLin:
6. Q U E E N:
7. dessertdesiert:
8. Vox:
9. dragoness129:
10. hummy:
11. spunky:
12. Mythos:
13. X---AznCo0ki3:

NOTE: When we start, I will send you PMs with your roles. Acknowledge in thread that you have gotten your PM by copying and pasting the following in bold. "I acknowledge that I have received my role via PM."

If more want to play, we will definitely consider it.

A Note - On Voting...

You get to chat and talk and hang out here posting whatever. Then when you think you might have an idea who someone who is mafia is, you can vote for them by doing this.

Vote maidenroseheart

I will see that and add your vote to the count. So when the moderator (me) updates the list, it will look like this.

Votes:
maidenroseheart (1): Vox

That way we know who voted for who. When there is a majority vote (moderator gives the official number) then that person dies and the Day ends.

Last edited by maidenroseheart; 06-02-2013 at 11:50 PM..

maidenroseheart

Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 PM

Confirmed Roles
dessertdesiert
Seridano
X---AznCo0ki3
LonelyOtaku97
dragoness129
TamLin
Mythos
BellyButton
Vox
spunky
Q U E E N
hummy

Died

Q U E E N - mafia was mod-killed by random out of inactive group.
hummy - town asked for a mod-kill.
dragoness129 - town doctor was night killed.
Seridano - town was night killed.
BellyButton - town was night killed.
Where - town cop was mod-killed for inactivity
spunky - town was night-killed
Vox - mafia was night-killed
X---AznCo0ki3 - mafia was mod-killed for inactivity
TamLin - town was night-killed
Mythos - town vigilante was night-killed

Last edited by maidenroseheart; 06-02-2013 at 11:51 PM..

maidenroseheart

Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 PM

Moderator Sign-Ups:

So that everyone who wants to moderate a game has a fair chance to, these are the sign-ups. You go in order. Once you are on the list, you must wait until after you have moderated a game in order to ask to be placed on the list again.

The moderator's job is very important. You are responsible for setting up the new mafia thread which needs to have the rules and sign-ups, a post of those alive and those dead (and once the game starts, the daily final votes), and the moderator sign-ups. You are also responsible for creating a balanced number of roles for those participating and randomly figuring out who gets which role. You must keep updates on the votes for the daily lynch. You must keep track of who has or has not posted and thus become inactive. You must provide creative scenes.

For example, there was a Star Wars themed game where a mafia member had the optional opportunity to use Order 66. If someone had claimed in game to be a particular Jedi to avoid a lynch, then those players were instantly killed. That is a bit over the top, but a fun addition to the game. Be creative.

You are the boss. What decisions you make affect those playing. Take the time to consider all the options carefully to be fair to all the players. Most importantly, have fun.

When you set up a thread, copy and paste in the rules as well as anything else of importance. Don't forgot to color code the roles in the PMs and in the death scenes.

LIST
1. Seridano
2. Vox
3. Mythos

Last edited by maidenroseheart; 06-06-2013 at 12:23 AM..

maidenroseheart

Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM

Alright, sign-ups are in progress. Who wants to play. *Closes eyes and prays no one gets upset for the mass ping* @MyFriends;

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 AM

When are you hoping to start the game? I ask because I'd like to try it if you'll have me, but am about to be gone for a week..

Maybe sign me up, but boot me if you need to start before I'm back? (I should be home by next Tues evening/early Wed.) :)

edit: There's a chance I'd be able to check in before then from the hotel, but I'm not sure how reliable the wifi will be.

Last edited by BellyButton; 05-07-2013 at 01:09 AM..

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 AM

I would like to have sign-ups open a week. Give people a chance to sign-up. I will go put that in the title so that others know as well. I would love to have you Belly.

Tam Lin
when a wild young man appears a...
Send a message via AIM to Tam Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Tam Lin

Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 AM

This looks like fun. I should be able to participate, given the timing and length of the days. :)

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 AM

lol, tis true... alright I'll add you to the list.

Q U E E N
spooky scary skeletons
Send a message via AIM to Q U E E N

Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 AM

This sounds like a whole bunch of fun, and the timing seems like it fits with my schedule. Sign me up!

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 AM

Awesome! Welcome to the thread :)

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 AM

This does sound like fun, i should be able to participate.

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 10:18 PM ----------

Are we going to be roleplaying all in one thread?

Vox
*^_^*

Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 AM

I want to play!

I have a few questions though. I'm a little confused about the voting. When Mafia is played in real life, voting goes in an order around the table. (Usually our moderator will pick a person at random and go around clockwise from them.) Obviously, it is advantageous to vote later rather than sooner because you can jump on an existing bandwagon and look a lot less suspicious than the guy who votes first and singles one person out right off the bat. The fact that you're allowing us to change our vote makes it even more confusing. How will you know when we are done voting? I can just see a lot of ways this could get messy.

I like the ghosts thing! If we die, we are allowed to stick around and post, but we can't try to influence the game at all? That sounds pretty fun. I am used to having to sit around and just watch after I am killed. But usually that's pretty entertaining too. xD

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 AM

Thanks for the ping! I would love to play! ^_^

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
I want to play!

I have a few questions though. I'm a little confused about the voting. When Mafia is played in real life, voting goes in an order around the table. (Usually our moderator will pick a person at random and go around clockwise from them.) Obviously, it is advantageous to vote later rather than sooner because you can jump on an existing bandwagon and look a lot less suspicious than the guy who votes first and singles one person out right off the bat. The fact that you're allowing us to change our vote makes it even more confusing. How will you know when we are done voting? I can just see a lot of ways this could get messy.

I like the ghosts thing! If we die, we are allowed to stick around and post, but we can't try to influence the game at all? That sounds pretty fun. I am used to having to sit around and just watch after I am killed. But usually that's pretty entertaining too. xD
You get to chat and talk and hang out here posting whatever. Then when you think you might have an idea who someone who is mafia is, you can vote for them by doing this.

Vote maidenroseheart

I will see that and add your vote to the count. So when the moderator (me) updates the list, it will look like this.

Votes:
maidenroseheart (1): Vox

That way we know who voted for who. When there is a majority vote (moderator gives the official number) then that person dies and the Day ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoness129 View Post
Thanks for the ping! I would love to play! ^_^
I'm glad :)

Vox
*^_^*

Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 AM

Okay! I think I like that. I was hesitant at first, but my partner has reassured me that it is not uncommon in games of Mafia to allow vote-changing and it actually works quite well. :)

Oh, and my group plays without rule 19! It's kind of fun to have multiple people claiming to be the same role. xD

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 04:21 AM

That is kinda the fun part of rule 19... if you are about to be lynched, and your mafia, and you claim to be the cop, and someone else steps forward as the cop... people have to make a decision.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 AM

i was reading about the game and it said the more honest you are the more likely you are to win.

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 04:34 AM

It depends. I've played several games before and sometimes ... what may seem to be honesty and what really is the honest truth can be hard to distinguish.

There was this guy. He played a good game. He was able to read and figure out who was mafia and we all trusted him. Then one day in a new game, it was him, another person, and me still alive in the game. One of us three was mafia. It turned out to be him.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 04:37 AM

I would just lynch him just because he was so good at the game xD

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 AM

lol, if he is town... and you are... you wouldn't want to... you need your team mates!

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 AM

Yes, but if he is good a the game can your really trust him? xD

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 AM

You never know.... better to watch his actions, who he votes for, what arguments does he make to try to sway you... to always vote for someone simply because of their skill alone is kinda... mean. To me. But that is just my opinion.

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

There was a series of games I played, where someone who wasn't that great at mafia was lynched first in three games in a row... and every time he was a townie. Finally the fourth game, he cried out the first day, "please don't kill me, I want to play past the first day on at least one game" and no one even tried to vote for him... all through the game he talked about how excited he was to not be killed... and then at the end we learned that that fourth game, he was mafia.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 AM

But that is such a compelling argument xD

maidenroseheart

Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 AM

It really was, which is why he got so far so easily.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 AM

I am really excited to play the game myself xD