Zeu Korchek

Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 AM

I personally have enjoyed the books. The Southern Vampire Mysteries are an amazing bunch, and I enjoy them FAR more than any other books I've read in years.
i would definitely say that they are well thought out and brilliantly executed.

Which was your favourite?

Yamisho
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Yamisho

Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 AM

You should mention her ghost series, too I hear it's really amazing.

Zeu Korchek

Old 08-01-2010, 07:51 AM

same. She is a great author. which are your favourite of her books?

Yamisho
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM

I think of each series as one overarching book, so no real favorites for me, I just love the Sookie story (though I hate Sookie herself, go figure.. she's too preppy and.. girly for my taste)

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 AM

Hmmm... I liked this series quite a bit until "Dead and Gone" which I found to be - simply confusing. I was attracted to this thread because I was wondering if the most recent book "Dead in the Family" was worth reading.

Opinions?

Yamisho
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCart29 View Post
Hmmm... I liked this series quite a bit until "Dead and Gone" which I found to be - simply confusing. I was attracted to this thread because I was wondering if the most recent book "Dead in the Family" was worth reading.

Opinions?
Dead and Gone I understood, it was readable, Dead in the Family is worth it.. but I swear it's like it JUMPS randomly I'll be all o-O wait.. WHEN did this happen and how did we get here??

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-05-2010, 05:16 PM

haha, alright - I really love these characters but it seems that the series has gone on so long now that the plot is groaning under the weight of it's own convolutions. Thanks for the advice though - maybe I will read the most recent novel.

Wynna
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-07-2010, 03:08 AM

I just started reading the Sookie Stackhouse series a couple of days ago, and I am already on the fifth one, [i] Dead as a doornail [i]. I love them, she writes really well. I find it so hard to actually put her books down, after I'm done one chapter I just want to start and read another.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-07-2010, 05:19 AM

Haha! That's funny! I was in the same situation when I was reading those books! I was in the middle of my final exams when I started reading the first one in a "brain decompression" effort - and I had a hard time putting them down to read. This is a really fun series to read - you just get caught up in it! I was always telling my roommate what was happening! Haha!

Wynna
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 AM

I went to the bookstore today and was just about to buy the two newest Sookie Stackhouse novels...however I decided not to. I think I've had a little bit too much Charlaine Harris in the past little while. The books though, the covers were all glittered and sparkly...I found that very odd. Their pages were also larger than the previous books I have, so they'll stand out on my bookshelf..so I'll just wait until a paperback version is released.

Jezriel
(^._.^)ノ
Penpal

Old 09-14-2010, 06:38 AM

I love this series!! The sly humor and down to earth main character is such a refreshing change from so many books these days, ESPECIALLY in the vampire genre.

However, I was appalled at the televised series. They took away most of the things I thought were great, and made it all dark, broody sex and blood - just like every other vampire smut novel. BLARGH. Not that I mind the smut that IS included in the book series - it's just I didn't like how the tv version focused on it and made very graphic what was shadows and suggestion before.

I always wait for the paperback, even if it drives me insane to do so. I think I may start haunting my local small-town library to see if they get the Stackhouse novels in any timely fashion. Then I don't have to wait!

I'm not sure I'm really happy with the direction the books have been taking lately - like many other long-term series it just seems to be getting more confusing and adding too many unnecessary extra sub plots for my taste. I know stories tend to take a life of their own as you write, and things can end up in completely unplanned areas - but a good author should have had a fair idea where they wanted their series to go from the very start. Then the side branches can get pruned back into shape at appropriate times to keep the confusion down.

Anyway. I gave up on L.K.Hamilton's vampire series aaaages ago because of wtf-ness. I'm still willing to shell out money for Harris.

Then, when I have extra time, I'll go back and read her mystery novels. One of them has the word 'dead' in the title, and my local Hastings keeps putting it in with the Stackhouse section, even though it obviously isn't. XD

lonelyotaku
lonelyotaku
Send a message via Yahoo to lonelyotaku

Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 PM

Right now i'm reading Dead Until Dark and so far i'm enjoying it alot. It is a good book and although its the first one i've read I can't wait to read more of the series.