Takumi_Amari
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-03-2010, 01:16 AM

I just finished reading the series and it is AMAZING. I am always a big fan of young adult fantasy novels, so I had to try it. Not as good as Harry Potter, but its my second favorite! Anyone else read any of the books?

Also, what are your favorite type of books? (Fantasy, Horror, Sci-fi, etc? )

Zafiri Drakontas
*^_^*

Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 PM

Yes, I have read the Percy Jackson series. I do agree that it was one of the best series I've ever read. I've heard that Rick Riordan is in the process of writing the sequel series, continuing with the newest prophecy. Usually I prefer fantasy books, like Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time and Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series, but I do find Sci-fi pretty enjoyable.

momochan
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to momochan

Old 07-04-2010, 11:57 PM

yes I love the series it's one of my favorites I think it was better than Harry potter. My favorite type of books are Fantasy.

CrymRose

Old 07-05-2010, 06:40 AM

I love this series! My mum bought the first few books for my brother but I ended up finishing the first three before he made a start on the first one.

@ Zafiri; I really hope that's true! I would love to read a sequel series~ It'd be nice if he threw in a couple of new characters who had minor gods for parents. [Since they're supposed to be accepted into the camp now]

Takumi_Amari
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-05-2010, 07:06 AM

@CrymRose: XD My mom did that with my sister too. She got her Eragon and I ended up reading it. Then I bought the next two in the series. My sister hasn't even finished the first book. lol

@momochan: I like Harry Potter too! <3 Though, its like...my top favorite. ^^ Then Percy Jackson and then the Eragon series. (I have a thing for dragons. <3 ) I also like the Chronicles of Narnia and Howl's Moving Castle.

Kingdom
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Kingdom

Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 AM

I DIDN'T KNO THERE WAS A PERCY JACSON SERIES. I JUST WATCHED THE MOVIE AND IT WAS AWESOME SO IM SO GONNA READ THOSE THNX.

Takumi_Amari
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 AM

@Kingdom: You should really read the series. The movie is a bit more different then the actual book. They took out a lot of cool stuff when they made the movie. And they made Hades seem like a bad guy when in the book he isn't that bad. D: I always hate it when people make Hades the villain. It just isn't his character in the myths. He ain't all that bad, just got stuck with a really bad job. o.O;

Kingdom
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 AM

@Takumi_Amari I THOUGHT HADES WAS SUPPOSE TO BE BAD. LIKE IN VIDEO GAMES HE IS LOL

Takumi_Amari
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-05-2010, 06:15 PM

@Kingdom: Nah, that is just a modern misrepresentation. See, people nowadays think that Hades is the equivalent of the devil just because he rules the Underworld. Now, if people actually read the myths, he is nothing like the biblical version of the devil. In fact, he's the only Greek god who actually stays faithful to his wife, which seems pretty ironic. He's not bad at all in the Greek myths. The Greeks saw him as the lord of the dead, who is fair and might just be a great guy, but he's more of a loner and isn't great at parties. He's just kind of depressing because of his job. Heck, the Underworld ain't that bad either. I mean, as long as you were good then you'd go to their equivalent of heaven. And hey, if you were a murderer well then you got to be punished by monsters. Seems fair.

The only bad thing is that you shouldn't cross him. Of course, in Greek myths if you pissed off any God you could kiss your butt goodbye.

By the way, I am actually Catholic, but the myths are very intriguing. ^^ *is very open minded*

Kingdom
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 AM

@Takumi_Amari lol that's pretty cool. i also find greek mythology interesting although i don't study it much. i guess people just portray hades as bad as he does run the underworld. so yea, i've always known him as being bad because of movies and stories. i will try to read one of the books, the movie was really good, have u seen it?

Takumi_Amari
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-06-2010, 03:14 AM

Yeah I saw it first. I started reading a month or so after I watched it.

Sforzando
Goddess of Passion and Rage, The...

Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 PM

I just finished the first one. I liked it specifically because of all the mythology. Greek mythology is one of my favorite things to learn about.

At times, I thought it wasn't as good as the movie, though, which is weird for me. The movie just seemed a little more organized in some of the plot points. Overall, I don't really think either of them were better than the other.

My Percy Jackson book kinda fell apart, actually. I left it on the dashboard while I went shopping and I came back and picked it up and half of it fell out. That happened again later on the same day. I just never learn. *Sighs and shakes head mournfully*

Anyway, I like fantasy stories best. Especially about knights, thieves, gods, and goddesses. (Such as the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce.) I also really love mythology (I currently bought Mythology by Edith Hamilton), and fairy tales (Grimm Brothers) and retellings of classic stories/fairy tales. I really want to read some books that are retellings of East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

ikittymow
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM

I loved the series. I just finished it not too long ago. I didn't like the movie at all. I always want it to be exactly like the book all the time.

:yumeh1:

Shugo Hinamori Amu
Beka Cooper

Old 07-19-2010, 12:31 AM

Yeah, I loved that series!! :boogie: It was especially interesting since I'm quite interested in that type of history. The author recently came out with the first book in a new series about the Egyptian gods, I wonder if it will be any good?

shy_twin

Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM

I've read all five of the Percy Jackson books and loved them. Too me its the best fantasy series I've ever read (maybe because I've never read Twilight or Harry Potter....I loved to read but those books are too thick for me to read right now). I can't wait until the book from the Camp-Half Blood series comes out.

The books that interest me the most all revolve around fantasy.

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 AM

Percy Jackson is pure brilliance. It helps if you have an interest in Greek Mythology I think, and I've always been really interested in that. This series was like a dream come true to me. Rick Riordan is very witty in his writing, and he really knows how to make the books enjoyable, I feel

ErikHawthorne
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to ErikHawthorne

Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi_Amari View Post
@Kingdom: Nah, that is just a modern misrepresentation. See, people nowadays think that Hades is the equivalent of the devil just because he rules the Underworld. Now, if people actually read the myths, he is nothing like the biblical version of the devil. In fact, he's the only Greek god who actually stays faithful to his wife, which seems pretty ironic. He's not bad at all in the Greek myths. The Greeks saw him as the lord of the dead, who is fair and might just be a great guy, but he's more of a loner and isn't great at parties. He's just kind of depressing because of his job. Heck, the Underworld ain't that bad either. I mean, as long as you were good then you'd go to their equivalent of heaven. And hey, if you were a murderer well then you got to be punished by monsters. Seems fair.
THANK YOU! I was getting so sick of people calling Hades evil! >.<

The movie was so horrible... as movie representations often are, but so far the Percy Jackson and Eragon movies were the worst! I hate it when the movies have barely anything in common with the books.

The series within itself is total genius. I can't wait for Riordan's sequel series :3

As for my favorite genre of book I tend to lean toward the fantasy, fiction, etc. But i'll read practically any genre of book.

jessa201

Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 AM

I've read it and I love it! The character are simple but they grow on you. The movie was okay but I still like the book better. I read books mostly of the young adult variety, leaning to fantasy and mystery.