Polarisld33
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM

So, I've been writing for years, but I've always written for myself. I recently decided I want to challenge myself and write something completely out of character for myself and aimed towards other people's interests instead of my own. I'm hoping to get some input as to what makes a love story enjoyable to read and not just a chiched mush puddle. I'd like to hear any opinions or thoughts on the topic or even for another idea (writers block can be a bitch).

Some specific questions for which I seek answers are:
-What makes a good love story?
-Should it end happily or tragically?
-Is it more fun if it's realistic or very ficticious?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your thoughts!!:)

Rooh
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-06-2010, 04:44 PM

What makes a good love story is the connection between the two people and how it's written. I don't like love-at-first-sight stories because, well, it's too... too perfect, you know what I mean? I like a buildup to the love, to see exactly why the love each other or how it grows into a love. With love-at-first-sight, you don't get any of that. You just suppose they see each other and something clicks. Well, something can and probably does click, but should it really be that easy for them both to say it and/or act upon it? I don't think so.

As for your second question, happy or tragic, it really depends on the story itself. How do you feel it should end? Can the couple truly not be together in this life and only in the next? Or can they live the rest of their lives in bliss? I'm happy with both types of endings so long as it fits.

And lastly, I personally prefer fictitious. I love the power of imagination, off-the-wall, backwards and fun stories. Realistic is for the real world. When I read a story, I want to be in another world. But that's just me... I have plenty of friends who would disagree with that. So on that subject, I'd really recommend whichever style is easier for you to write.

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Just going to throw out an observation I've made over the years regarding love stories, people tend to go gaga over hate to love or grudging annoyance to love stories. I'm going to assume that this has something to do with the crazy amounts of character development that tends to be necessary in order to make romance between said characters plausible.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 10-08-2010, 02:55 AM

I think that a Love story is difficult to write well... Realism is even harder. Think about it... realistically, when you fall in love, it's a gradual thing, and to be honest, that can be pretty boring in book form. So unrealistic is more interesting, but then you have varying degrees of unrealism. Is it fantasy, paranormal, or a kind of "slice of life" thing? As for how it should end... that depends a lot on what you want to do with the characters. If they're prone to over-reaction, then tragedy is going to end up mental. But if they'll recover, then it can be quite good to have an element of tragedy.

fishyfey
*^_^*

Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 AM

If you have written before for yourself why change to meet other people's needs? You should write what inspires you. If you try to chase after fads you will always be behind the curve and you won't be doing what you love. If you write weird things that you don't think other people will be interested in, you are wrong. There are always niche markets for the really out there stuff. Why not try and get some of the things that you have already written published in magazines (if they are short) or published as a novel if they are longer? Don't be discouraged if you get rejected a few times, it happens to all authors. Steven King was rejected hundreds of times before he got a novel published. Just stay persistent and keep doing what you love. After all we write because we love doing it don't we?

Crimson_daffodils_Layla
*^_^*

Old 10-15-2010, 01:08 AM

My advice:
1. Avoid cliches
2. Write what you know
3. Write what you like
4. If you want to write a good love story, romance novels will only get you about halfway there.
5. Build up the relationship
6. Make it realistic--people are more likely to fall in love with their best friends than someone else, but that's not always the case. I'm in love with my 2 best guy friends and a guy I hardly know anything about. :|