Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 11-13-2018, 03:01 AM

That's... creepy! I know some people make profiles for their pets. But children?! That's so weird! I bet when the baby gets older, they'll really hate that their parents posted about them like that! I feel like too many parents these days are focused so much on their social media that they don't actually take the time to be a parent. They see their child walk for the first time and instead of being present, they take out their phone, film it, post it to the internet...

I used to work at a daycare center and every so often we'd have "classes" about children. In one class, we learned that babies grow most of the parts of their brain used for talking, writing, etc. when they spend time on their tummies. They had us do an exercise where we wrote a little story from a picture of a tree. I wrote a paragraph... Then, the teacher said, "Okay, now stand on one foot and use your opposite hand". My paragraph because three words... "Then it died..."

She said that's how it feels for children who didn't spend enough time on their tummies developing that part of their brain. Infants need to spend most of their time on their tummies... but when you look at baby products today, most of them have the child sitting up, so the parents don't have to worry about the baby not crawling or whatever. It's sad because some parents/teachers will say, "Oh, your child is special needs" when there isn't anything wrong with the child... It's just that their brains didn't develop probably because of lack of tummy time..

Wow. I didn't mean to type THAT much about it.

Instagram is... alright. It's pretty pointless unless you live a fantastic life where you're always doing something new. I try to post pictures with my actor friends or post snippets of me doing something related to entertainment. Occasionally I will post something related to my exercising. But for the most part, if you don't have anything "interesting" going on, it's really pointless. :(

I don't like the messaging system on Instagram either. It's difficult to find on a phone, impossible to find on the PC version too. >:( I'm more of a fan of Tumblr because of the anonymity.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-13-2018, 03:09 AM

Yeah, one of my friends who had a baby did that and I was like, "Wtf..." when I first saw it. Saw profiles for other kids too. A lot of people film and upload their kids doing stuff and I kept thinking that if it were me I'd hate it so much once I'm at an age to know what's going on because I hate being filmed. Besides, what are they going to do with the profile once the kid's old enough? Tell them, "Hey I've actually been managing your Facebook profile for the past 13 years! Here's the password, have fun!"?

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Yeah, most products these days keep the babies upright because 'the ground is dirty' and parents don't want to deal with the kids crawling everywhere and possibly cramming whatever they could find into their mouths. I think there was something about not letting kids sleep on their stomachs because they might die from suffocating on regurgitated milk though? Or is tummy time only for when they're awake and not asleep?

Huh. Good to know I'll probably never need one then. I have a really boring life. ;; I'd probably just post pictures of scenic stuff like trees, the skyline, flowers, etc.

Kory

Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 AM

That is so weird! Hahaha. I can't imagine growing up and finding out that my mom posted everything about my life since I was a baby on Facebook and now I have to deal with it?! One of my family musicians used to post everything her baby was doing... She had pictures and videos of everything her daughter did. It was cute, but now her daughter is like.. .12? 13? She went on tour with her daughter recently and some person apparently said to her daughter, "I've watched you grow up" and her mom was pissed like, "CREEPY DUDE"... but I'm like... "You... you posted everything she did?!"

Oh, yes, tummy time is definitely for awake only! But it depends on the baby's age too. I think once they hit the milestone of being able to roll over (and roll back over) that's when we have the parents sign a paper that says, "If baby rolls over in their sleep, we will leave baby like that for the rest of their nap.". It's usually only when we notice that the baby can roll over safely without getting stuck. That's usually around the time that the baby is starting to crawl.

I think Instagram could actually use some scenic pictures! The only thing I see on Instagram now is just pictures of people partying and food.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 AM

Especially when once the kid reaches the age where it's legal to be on Facebook, they'd be at an age where they generally want to be seen as independent and not mushy mushy, and the profiles that the parents have been managing most definitely does not look as though they're independent. And yeah, there's a fine line of being a part of your child's life, and broadcasting everything they did to the world.

Ah, that's good to know! I have zero experience with babies and know very little about them and their growth stages, as you can probably tell. ;; My friend tried to get me to hold her baby and I was all flailing because I didn't know how to hold him and as soon as I started holding him he started to cry and I panicked.

Yeah, that'd mean I'd have to go out to find such sceneries though. A friend of mine who also has an Instagram posts pictures of scenic stuff like mountains, her drinks, the clouds, etc. etc. with no personal pictures. It looks pretty good and it's the kind of thing I'd go for if I had an account. Partying sounds boring to me, though food is good

Kory

Old 11-13-2018, 04:16 AM

Yeah. I agree with that! It's kind of strange... I wouldn't want to put words in my child's mouth. Especially not like, "I love my mommy!". I think that kind of borderlines an idea of worshipping the parent... Like, I feel like the parent feels like a god and they put words in their children's "mouths" so to speak. Like, they make the world think that their child is perfect and loves everyone and everything. Like... their child is a puppet.

I hope this makes sense?! It made sense in my head but as I started typing it, I realized it doesn't sound as good as it did in my head.

My mom had her own childcare center when I was a kid, and before that my mom had an in-home daycare so I grew up around babies. Most of the stuff I know about child development is stuff I learned as a kid/teen working with my mom in her childcare centers. I've been holding babies all my life!

I don't like partying either. :( I much prefer to spend the time by myself, watching movies or reading. :) I wish I followed more people who posted scenic photos and nature on Instagram. It'd be super relaxing!

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-13-2018, 07:26 AM

Yeah, I get what you're going for. It's creepy and not really an indicator of the child's actual feelings at all. I wouldn't mind so much if it's just a profile account with pictures and no words, but with the words it's just creepy.

Wow, on one hand I'm a little envious of your experience, on the other hand, I'm not a super fan of kids in general because they're usually so loud. I tried applying for work at a childcare center and by the gods the constant screaming...by the time I left about half an hour later my ears were ringing.

Same!! I prefer watching movies or reading too. I do enjoy going out with friends on occasion but too often and I'd feel annoyed even though they're my friends. I like aesthetics images so scenic stuff is appealing to me. I follow a few photography blogs on tumblr, though they're not very active.

Kory

Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM

Yeah! I agree with you. If it were just pictures, I mean, that's fine. But speaking for the baby is just... weird. :/ I feel like it give the parents a god-complex. :/

By the time I got my job outside of my mom's daycare, I had been infant-free for a couple of years. When I was hired and they asked me what age group did I prefer, I said toddlers and preschoolers. I was placed with older preschoolers and it was sheer hell! Maybe because at my mom's daycare, there was only a small group of kids. I was so tired the next day... After like a month or two of that, my boss moved me to the infant room and that was even worse! The infants get stranger-danger and they don't like being held or fed by people they don't know... So the whole time I was there, the infants were screaming their heads off. I got a headache from all the crying!

What's one of your favorite movies to watch by yourself? :) I think you probably know this already, but mine is Crimson Peak. xD I'm the exact same way! I like hanging out with my friends every now and then, but not too often. I can literally go months without talking to my friends, then one day we start talking again and it's like there was never a pause.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-16-2018, 12:21 AM

I dislike people putting words into my mouth so yeah...it doesn't feel right.

Oh, I guess I must've been to one with older preschoolers. I would die if I had a roomful of infants screaming their heads off at me. Sometimes I wonder how they don't get headaches themselves with all the screaming they're doing...

I actually rarely watch films, and usually I only watch once. It depends on what's on the TV most of the time, I prefer watching the ones I've watched before. Yesterday night was the Incredibles on replay on TV so I watched that. I only own a few movies and I think the most recent ones were the Kingsman series before my laptop drowned...
Same with my friends! There was a period when we stopped contact for a few years and one day we bumped into each other at a department store and it was instant reconnection

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 11-16-2018, 04:04 AM

I feel like crap.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-16-2018, 04:05 AM

I feel kind of like crap, torn between wakefulness and sleep.

Kory

Old 11-17-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
I feel like crap.

How's work been going, Kirin? Do you have any plans for Thanksgiving?

@Antagonist
Yeah, I can agree with you on that. :/ It's creepy!

I was in so much pain after spending that one day in the infant room! I literally called my mom and said, "Look, I can't take this anymore!" Eventually the babies got used to me and stopped screaming.. but those first couple of days were so terrible. :( I think the regular teachers in the infant room were alright because the babies didn't cry with them because they were used to the teachers.

I have soo many movies! When we moved here, I literally had five or six *large* boxes filled with DVDs. I even have some VHSs in there too... And blu-rays of course. But mostly DVDs. I usually watch a movie once, but if it's one that sticks to me, I watch it over and over and over... xD

Isn't it crazy how a friend can miss you for months, then you randomly start talking again and it's awesome? :D

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-17-2018, 07:07 AM

But wouldn't any new infants cry until they got used to the teacher? Kind of reminds me of how my co-worker's baby wouldn't stop crying if she's not there. Like the husband could try to comfort the kid but he'd just keep screaming his head off until his mother got back from work so she has to leave earlier every day in order to relieve the rest of the family from the crying.

That's pretty amazing, having that many movies I'm a bit weird in that if I really like a movie I'd want to see it again, but for some reason the instant I actually acquire the movie I never watch it

It is pretty awesome We've kept in contact since then and I've really enjoyed going out with them every once in a while. It's just great to have people who you're comfortable with.

Kory

Old 11-18-2018, 05:47 AM

Yeah that makes sense! I'm sure the new babies who come into the daycare cry all day too. But when they are little, they are too young to understand "Stranger danger", so they really don't care as long as you feed them. It's the babies that are around... 6-12 months-ish that freak out if they don't know you. >:( I've gotten used to the screaming after a while, but I'm sure if I did it again I'd get a headache. xD

I'm guilty of that too! Most of the time, I watch a movie the minute I bring it home.. But sometimes I will buy a movie and forget about it. Or if it's a movie I haven't seen before, I purposely don't watch it because I am scared or I worry that it won't be up to my expectations. :(

That's great!! :D I have a friend back in Minnesota. She's tried to keep in contact with me, we were planning to Skype but it's so difficult to find a time that works for both of us. I keep telling her that I will find time, but it's been so crazy for me! And now with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up it's been even crazier! :(

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-18-2018, 07:15 AM

The thought of screaming babies gives me a headache. Which is probably why I'll never have kids of my own, I'm terrible with them.

I remember once spending a few weeks wanting a movie, and then after I finally get it it just sits there and hasn't been watched since. ;; I don't know why I do that but it just happens.

Aw yeah, it sucks when we can't find the time to hangout together. There was a period when my friend would want to ask me to come hangout but I'd be stuck at work and by the time I got away it would be too late. Skype might make things easier but I've never used it before and I don't think my friends use it either. Thanksgiving and Christmas are busy times in the states from what I remember.

Kory

Old 11-19-2018, 02:48 AM

I think having your own children isn't as bad as someone else's child. x.x It's not *too* bad being in a room with infants that know you... The only time they can be a handful is when they want to eat or they are overtired and want to sleep, but also want you to hold them! I always wanted to have my own children :D I think it will be fun!! :D

Hahaha, I can understand that, though... Sometimes you think you really want to see a movie, then you get it and it's so anti-climatic that you forget about it, XD

Yeah.. :( That's how it's been with my friend back in Minnesota. D: I feel like such a bitch for making plans, then having to back out. >3< I've just been so goddamn busy! Christmas/Thanksgiving is super busy here. D: Everyone wants to send out presents, everyone wants to be with family so traveling costs extra, everyone wants their holiday foods NOW NOW NOW. >:(

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-19-2018, 04:48 AM

I don't think I've ever wanted kids of my own...occasionally I'd think, "Maybe I could have a kid? They seem like they could be fun", and then I'd hear some kid screaming or throwing a tantrum and I'd immediately scratch that thought.

I actually liked those movies a lot, but I just can't bring myself to re-watch them for some reason! Unless it was a replay on TV in which case I'd happily watch it.

If only days were like five hours longer, while keeping work hours the same! Then we'd have time to do everything and not have to scramble all the time.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 11-28-2018, 01:20 PM

I liked working in day care. Got to send the kids home at the end of the day and didn't have to deal with them on weekends and holidays.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 12-02-2018, 03:23 PM

A couple days ago, my sister said, "I don't want kids; I want servants." She gets it.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-03-2018, 01:58 AM

Ugh, same. Wish we had those robot helpers like in I. Robot, minus the murderous controlling parts.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 12-03-2018, 05:45 AM

Oh please, Antsy, we all know you want murderbots. That's the best part!

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 AM

.......Maaaybe.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 12-03-2018, 03:12 PM

As long as you program them to not murder you.

We might be gettin' ourselves a Roomba soon.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 AM

I'd program them to only murder when I want them to.

Roombas won't work for our house; it's way too cluttered for it to get around unhinged.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 12-04-2018, 06:55 AM

I hear they look like they're moving aimlessly and missing spots, but in the end, they do a good job.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-04-2018, 07:42 AM

Yeah, I watched my friend's roomba for a while and it just looked like it was bumping noses everywhere and cleaning the same few spots...but when she pried the panel off to clean it there was lots of stuff sucked up so I guess it must've done a good job.