Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 08-20-2017, 04:23 PM

I've recently gotten back into reading comics. I'm not picky about where/who writes them as long as they have a good storyline. While I do like all these Superhero comics that are out there I would also like to pick up a few series that are not super hero or marvel/DC. I like a little bit of everything.

Any suggestions?

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 08-22-2017, 01:03 AM

The only comic I've read recently has been Hawkeye, and it's enjoyable. The trials and tribulations of a non-powered super hero.

I've also been reading a lot of Korean/Chinese/other webcomics, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. Though, there are some super hero themed ones, as well as a crazy variety of genres, art styles, stories, etc. I recommend Webtoons for a dip into the pong, because it's free. Noblesse is about super powered vampires and has lots of fighting. The God of High School is about super powered fighters, lots of fighting.... you know, now that I think about it, a lot of the ones I read have a lot of fighting. There's another popular site called Lezhin, but only a few of their chapters are free, t hen you start paying. Best to get hooked on the free stuff.

It's funny, I used to read actual comic books all the time, now they're just so intimidating to get back into. I tried picking up a few new titles and I just stepped in and didn't know any of the backstory they were flashing back too and just gave up. It's easier for me to pick up manga and webcomics with definite beginnings.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM

I do like Hawkeye. It is enjoyable.

I got into webcomics instead for a while as well. I'll have to check out your suggestions!

I really like The Sandman by Neil Gaiman, if you haven't check it out yet. That's one I always recommend to people that's easy to pick up and find.

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 AM

I had a Death manga. It was a spinoff of Sandman about Death. But I never have read Sandman. Maybe one day. If I didn't already have a huge backlog of manga and other stuff to read! *flails*

When I was younger, I was all about x-Men comics. And when Generation X came out, well, I was all over that. I have most of that series. Though ironically, moving back to the United States, from Scotland, was what made me stop reading comics. Because in Scotland, I had access to a comic book shop. In the US, I didn't, and online content still wasn't a thing. So I fell out of touch with comics and got into anime a lot more. It was still accessible and becoming more and more so as time passed.

Anyway, I guess they're trying to revive Generation X with a new class and I bought the first two titles and everything in it is referring to something that happened before and it's just so hard to jump into. Even though it's a fresh title, without having read some of the other X-titles, you still can't just jump on and ride the train.

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 09-30-2017, 11:26 PM

My all-time favorite comic is "Death Vigil." It's only like 12 issues. I don't think he'll be making any more, but it was sooo good. It's essentially about a cult trying to unleash demons on the world and they want to take the Reaper's job while they're at it. The Reaper is female, and she is awesome. Very powerful, but very sweet.

I also really love Pathfinder. It really just exists to promote the tabletop game...but it's still a wonderful fantasy series and has a canon lesbian couple.

And I can't recommend the Jem and the Holograms comics highly enough. They're loosely based on the 80s cartoon (which is very adult and, believe me, withstands the test of time - check it out!) and about rival all-girl rock groups. Unfortunately the series ended; the main artist went on to other projects and they got Meredith McClaren to take over, and her art was so bad it killed the franchise. The characters went from looking glamorous to basically muppets. T_T But that's only in the later issues, starting around #19 or so. There's also a canon lesbian couple in Jem. In the cartoon, one girl from each of the rival bands quits her group because she feels underappreciated, and instead they form a duo. It was only one episode of the cartoon but fans really enjoyed it and they became a popular femmeslash pairing, so in the comic reboot the creators just made the couple canon!