Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM

It's pretty interesting for sure, and has a nice texture. I don't seem to be breaking out or having an adverse reaction. I'm trying to use it daily to see if over time it does help clear the complexion. They do a full kit with the cream, serum, and wash. It's fairly expensive but if it works I'm sure it is worth it. I know some people really struggle with keeping a clear complexion and just can't get a positive result from drugstore brand stuff. For what it's worth, the brand has gotten really high marks by everyone who reviewed it.

I'm loving the shampoo. It's very sweet and rich smelling but it makes my hair nice and soft and shiny. I've used it about 3 or more times about now and still have enough for several more uses. I'll have to take a look and see how much it would set me back. The only thing is I think I would be the only one in the house using it...So it may be a tough sell to hubby.

I got my Ipsy bag last night. I'll have to take pictures. There's a couple of products I'm super excited to try. I got the blue nailpolish, which I have a comparible shade in another brand and it wouldn't be my first pick (I was hoping for that metallic gold...I Don't have anything quite like that, but oh well.) but I'm still curious to see how it compares to other formulas I've tried. I also got a hair texturizing spray from BigSexyHair that I'm super excited to try. I think tomorrow when I get cleaned up and all made up I'll have to give my products a go. :D

I'll take some pictures here shortly of my ipsy bag so I can share.

Hoping you guys will join in and share pictures, experiences with me too. I would really enjoy it. :)

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Mine should be delivered today according to the tracking info they provided. I'll post pics when it gets here. :)

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 PM

Ohhh yay!! I'm excited to see what you got and hear your initial thoughts, as well as after using them a few times. I know sometimes I get something and I'm not at first real excited, but after using a couple of times I get a better idea and it's fun to compare. A lot of the stuff in Birchbox, if not all of it, is high end brand. It's interesting to try to compare it to something you can buy at the drugstore or grocery store. Sometimes you wonder if the extra price you pay really worth it, but this way you're not putting down a lot of money on a full size and come to hate it.

That and I just absolutely love surprises in the mail. Not only that but it gives me something to really look forward to each month. :3 I don't think I'm quite ready to write my reviews on the website, but I'm getting there. Make sure with Birchbox you definitely do them so you get your 50 points each month.

Also Ipsy has started giving points back each month as well. They accumulate a bit slower and it takes 1000 before you can cash out. (Well the two items they've been offered are 1000 a piece) Still, if you do your survey it helps them build a better profile. Ipsys are really quick multiple choice anyways. Birchbox is fairly quick, but then they give a box for you to write something out.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-17-2013, 06:51 PM

Now I just need the darn mailman to show up. They come late here, sometimes 5:30ish PM. I do love the idea of being able to sample things that I might never use/buy on my own. It's soo spendy to experiment via purchasing higher end stuff in the store, so this seems like a frugal endeavor for me. I've wasted money on shampoo alone that cost more than the subscription, for example - I will really like the smell in the store but after using it, either it makes my hair feel yucky or turns out to smell strange and then I'm kicking myself for shelling out the cash for it. I will feel much more confident spending $ on something I already know I would use/like.

It's funny, an artist I follow on Facebook just got her first Ipsy box & she's super excited about it. Her haul. Can't wait til my turn comes up on that wait list. Hopefully soon.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Oh my gosh!!! She got some really awesome stuff. My bag was decent, but hers has even more in it that I like. That's too cool she's showing off her bag there too.

I need to get some pictures up and give a little bit of my first impressions. I've tried a couple of things just testing it out. Tomorrow I think I'll get all dressed up. I do have a homecoming game to go to tomorrow night. Not any real dressy ocassion but I am going out in public. <3

---------- Post added 10-17-2013 at 08:17 PM ----------

Here is my Ipsy this month:

I've used the handcream several times and it's slowly really growing on me. At first I thought it had too peppery of a smell, and that it was very dry feeling. Once I've used it a few times I've grown to really like the smell of it and it definitely isn't watery or oily. It's a nice size to throw in my purse.

The coastal scents eyeshadow brush was cool too. I have one fairly similar, but it'll be neat to give it a try and see if the quality is better. I'm sure I could always use another. :P

The SexyHair I'm super excited to try. I've heard such good things about the brand, and a texturizing spray sounds fun. I think once my husband gets his hair cut he may even give it a try. :P

The Zoya nail polish (nail polish is ALWAYS a win for me)...like I said it isn't my first pick for color, but I'll take it! It is a very very dark blue. I may try to paint up my nails tonight or tomorrow with it. I'm curious to see how long lasting the formula is. I believe I have an Avon called Midnight Blue that will be very similar if not identical in color.

And the loose pigmentation...It is a really gorgeous shimmery purple in the pot. I tried to swatch a little on my wrist while working and it didn't have much color payoff. I'm wondering if it will pop with a layer of eyeshadow primer first. I have never gotten a loose eyeshadow/pigmentaiton pot so it's exciting to try it. It is a little clumpy coming out, and trying to get it tapped out to the lid can be messy. I'm curious how long it will wear, and apparently there are more uses for something like this. I've read that people have mixed it in with nail polish for instance for a pop of color. I may need to do my homework on this one. :3 I love purple though, so I was super excited about the color.

---------- Post added 10-17-2013 at 08:18 PM ----------

Oh and the bag is fairly nice quality. They lined it, so it feels sturdy. Last month's bag was very thin. The material was a gorgeous gorgeous blue, but it didn't feel quite as thick and sturdy as the August bag was. If I find I'm up to my eyeballs in bags I'm sure I can find other uses. They'd make cute pencil bags and I'm sure they can hold other stuff quite well too. :P

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 AM

Still no box here, darn! Patience is no fun. :)

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 02:23 AM

That sucks, Belly!! Hopefully tomorrow. I want to see some pictures!! (I may be more excited than you are...)

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-19-2013, 11:21 PM

Look what just came in the mail!

I'm gonna go finish round two of my errand-running before I open it. Will post again soon. :D

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-20-2013, 12:18 AM

You're such a tease, Belly!! I got all excited there when I saw a picture.

Hurry back and give us some more!

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Can't wait til my turn comes up on that wait list. Hopefully soon.
Yessss.

For now I wait patiently for BB. I've been getting lots of emails from them lately at least. For deals and stuff. But I've been holding off any until I get my box.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-23-2013, 03:39 PM

Belly needs to come back and post more pictures. *pokes her playfully*

And Iku I'm excited for you too. I'm always so excited for when they come in the mail. Should have next months in the next couple of weeks to look forward too. :D Ipsy was pretty stellar for most people this month. Birchbox wasn't bad, but it wasn't like oh my gosh best box evaaaar kinda feeling. I'm still enjoying the shampoo/conditioner and trying to use the cream daily. I'm breaking out still, but I think a lot of it is stress/diet related and I need to address that rather soon. O_o;

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Hey, I'm here! Sorry for the delay, I wanted to make sure I tried everything at least once & then I was all set to report but I had a migraine yesterday. Oof.

Anyway, here's what I got for my October Birchbox:

SPOILERX

The products and my makeup-noob reviewsX

Bain de Terre Macadamia Oil Nourishing Shampoo & Conditioner
Was excited to try these since I'm always looking for yummy new shampoos. I used them for two days but then had to switch back to my regular brand. The scent wasn't very good - kind of like a plasticy version of the typical argan oil shampoo smell - and although it didn't make my hair conduct static, which is a big plus, it did weigh it down and make it look dilapidated. I don't want a shampoo/cond that make my hair feel heavier than it already is - I have quite long, thick hair - and semi-straightening my wavy is a drag for me because it makes me feel like I need to do something more to it. I don't want to have to fuss with my hair, see. Just give me nice smells, clean hair & leave my natural curls alone and I'm happy.

PopBeauty Aqua Lacquer in "Floating Rose"
Dang, this stuff is sticky. And thick. And somewhat tingly. The slight tint was nice - a subtle rose, which is a really good color for me, with a bit of shimmer. But, it felt so weird to me to have wet, sticky lips that I'm pretty sure I was going around with my lips sticking out whenever I wore this. I also realized when using this product that, for my lifestyle, I like to be able to put my lips on things (glasses, my cat) without sticking to them. It seemed to hold the shiny, wet look for a long time, which also creeped me out, but I imagine if you're looking for that freshly-applied wet look this would be a great product. I'm just not ready for it. Still, I do kinda like it and will probably experiment further.. Haha.

Ruffian Nail Lacquer in "Hedge Fund"
Holy shiznnit, I was so happy to score some nail polish in my first box! The color I got was super odd for me - kind of an army green that looks golden in the sunlight. Neat color, just strange for fingernails? I have olive skin & anything that tends towards blueish makes my skin look unhealthy hued, so I was worried, but the gold highlights saved me from displaying as a green-skinned undead person. Here's a pic that captures the color well & shows the wear I had after about 3 days. No base or overcoat, just a single layer of the polish. I do a lot of things with my hands so I was really impressed at how well it held up - through handwashing dishes, scrub-cleaning bathroom stuff, etc. Forgive my super dry skin, the desert saps all moisture out of me and my body-things. :)

Chapstick 8-hour Moisture Hydration Lock in "Vanilla Creme"
The chapstick I balked at, but it turned out to be fairly nice and quite un-chapstick-like. I think the last time I tried a chapstick product it was the old-fashioned very waxy nasty stuff. If anything this one was a little too thin and greasy feeling for my taste. The vanilla "flavour" was mild enough not to be distracting. Though not a flavour I'd normally choose, it wasn't terrible. Birchbox is marketing this as a lipstick primer, and I don't actually own any lipstick, so I have nothing to say on that aspect. I'll hang onto it in case of future adventures.

Best thing for me:
I really liked the nail polish despite the weird color. I would definitely purchase polish from Ruffian.

The thing I didn't really like was the shampoo/conditioner. It was just meh, for me. I'd say it did save me a purchase, but I wouldn't have bought it anyway because it doesn't smell fabulous enough. :)

Overall this was really fun & I can't wait for next month!

Last edited by BellyButton; 10-23-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 AM

Ohhh Yay!!! Super exciting! I really enjoyed your impressions on the products, and I'm surprised the shampoo/conditioner didn't really hit it for you. The one I got (Beauty Protector) so far is really nice, and I've continued using it well after the first couple of washes. There are days where the very vanilla/caramel smell is a little too much for me and I'll grab my regular stuff in the shower, but it makes my hair super soft and shiny. I really like it.

SPOILERX

Birchbox Update
The chapstick I kinda was in a torn position too. I mean chapstick is chapstick, and it has it's uses...but you're hoping for more high end stuff, as I can see myself trying this out for a couple of bucks on my own and not feeling like I really lost out if I didn't care for it.

I've been continuing to use the Evologie cream, but I'm not seeing any major improvements. It's nice and creamy feeling but doesn't leave an oily feel/residue and sets into my skin nice. Like I said I think my diet/stress is causing the continued breakout, and it would of been super awesome if they could of given a little sample of each of the items in their little kit. (They have a daily wash and a serum to apply to other breakouts) I may hold onto this little guy a little longer in hopes I get my mitts on a sample of the other...We'll see, as my husband is already asking me not to start hording my samples.

The only thing I'm really not too happy with is the stain. I may try it on my cheeks next time I want a blush, but like I said with my skin type blush usually isn't something I go for...not only that but I had a mild adverse reaction about the time I tried it on my lips. I don't know if that definitely was the cause, but I would want to maybe do another test swatch and make sure. It'd be interesting if I did to find out what ingredient is causing that, as I once had a really bad adverse reaction to an Avon lipgloss that was similar...I wonder if they both had that common ingredient.

Ipsy Update
I still haven't broken the eyeshadow brush out...perhaps next time I do my makeup.

I have gotten into the purple pigment by Bella Terra...Ohh my with a little bit of eyeshadow primer it is absolutely gorgeous. It's a very dark purple, pigmented and just enough where it isn't super oh my god loud purple but a nice dark and mellow purple. It seemed to be pretty long lasting the time or two I've worn it. I'm loving it. :D

The hand cream I'm still digging into. I'll definitely use that up. Whether or not I'm going to make a special trip to Target for it...(I rarely ever go to Target as it's a good 45min drive for me -- otherwise I would as I love that place) I don't know if I can say I would. I'm hoping we can sample some of the other handcreams that were given out in newer bags though as I've been watching some youtube videos and that strawberry cheesecake one (I believe that was the scent) got some fabulous reactions. I would loooove to give that a try, plus you can never go wrong with handcreams/lotions with me -- In the winter I have reeeally dry skin.

The hairspray...Both me and my husband gave that a try this weekend. My husband was not impressed. He said that it lost it's hold really quick and he found himself having to brush his hair out of his face. I think when he thinks hairspray it has to have some mega hold to it. Personally, I thought that this was nice as it didn't turn my hair into crunch spaghetti strands but had a little hold. I am really needing a haircut, and hoping I can go in this weekend to get it trimmed up. I think at that point this would work even better in my hair. I think it's meant for a very light hold and texture...with the length of my hair now it's going to really not have much of the desired effect. I think my husband has the same problem too, as his hair has grown out and in desperate need of a cut too...don't tell him I said that though! I will try it a few more times, especially once my hair is cut...then I'll be able to give you a better opinion. Right now I'm on the fence.

And the nail polish...Ohhh I want to like this so bad. It's a beautiful dark blue, and when you look in the light it has a very fine reddish purple flecks in it. I know I don't have a nail polish quite like it. Similar, but not with the shimmer. The problem that I have is every time (and I've opened this bottle 3 or 4 times trying to prep myself...) I open the bottle up I swear the smell of the formula is very sickly strong...I don't know if I could stand to smell it long enough for it to dry. I have tested it on the cardstock that came in the birchbox to do a swatch and it is a very deep blue and gorgeous but even having that on my desk at work waiting for it to dry I found the smell nauseating. I found this interesting as I'm a nail polish fanatic and usually the smell doesn't bother me.

---------- Post added 10-23-2013 at 10:04 PM ----------

Ohhh I forgot to add, Belly, that green is a really gorgeous color...even for green. I never was a big fan of the color on nails, but it's so luxurious!! I had the purple version and I have a lot of purple nailpolish...It's my favorite color! The Ruffian purple was sooo vibrant, and in the right light it was just like any other purple polish I've seen. I would be super tempted myself. I'm trying to hold onto some points...we'll see.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 PM

Sooo, my fiance just got a job and I'm thinking about signing up for either Ipsy or Birchbox. Right now I'm leaning more towards Ipsy but I'm going to compare some of the hauls you ladies have posted and their websites and try to decide which one I want to try...

---------- Post added 10-24-2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

So I decided to sign up with Ipsy. *Crosses her fingers and hopes to get in soon*

---------- Post added 10-24-2013 at 11:11 AM ----------

Also, I used your referral link Izumi so you just earned 250 points!

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Yay! I'm happy to have found this thread to talk about my obsession beauty subscriptions! I'm currently subscribed to Birchbox, Glossybox, and Julep Maven.

I've tried doing a comparison of them all but now that there are so many, it's almost impossible for me to find time. xD

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 PM

@Zig -- That's awesome!! Both for your fiance, and for signing up!! :D I'm super excited for you to join us on our little monthly hauls.

@secret -- I knooow! I had such a tough time picking which one to go with, as there are SO many. These two, though, seem to be the more well known/bigger companies. So far I'm pretty happy with both. :)

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM

Haha, I didn't but that's because Ipsy didn't exist when I signed up for Birchbox. I've been with them for a little over 2 years now and just kept adding along the way.

Although there is always one thing I tell people when they say "I want to subscribe to XYZ box" - Don't do it if you aren't interested in trying new things in relation to beauty.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 PM

Woo! Tell us about your goodies, Secret!

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 PM

Ohhh Secret, you get Birchbox too?? What goodies did you get this month? :D

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking I probably won't get in in time for next month's bag. Hopefully by December though, it'll be like my Christmas present to myself!

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 AM

It is kinda like a present every month...Sure I do pay for it, but it's not picked by me and if I could stop cheating and looking at the website it would be a surprise.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-25-2013, 02:09 AM

I got a coworker of mine to sign up as well so it will be fun to compare what we get.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 AM

I got my box! 8D

Got mostly the same stuff as Belly. The only difference was the nail polish. Mine is Floss Glass Ltd in the Tanlines color.
Floss Gloss Nail Polish | Birchbox

It looks more brown/tan-ish in the bottle and on the website, but on it feels like it has more of an orange tint. It makes me laugh since the name is "tanlines" and now I can't help but think it's more of a fake tan.

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 10-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Birchbox

SPOILERX

POP Beauty Aqua Lacquer in Floating Rose
Dermablend Professional Smooth Indulgence Foundation in Taupe
ChapStick Hydration Lock
Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser
Liz Earle Pure Muslin Cloths

And for those interested, this is what I got in my Glossybox [which is more money but usually more deluxe and full size products]

SPOILERX

BVLGARI - Perfume [deluxe]
Balance Me - Shine On! Tinted Lip Salve [full size]
Tarte - Lights, Camera, Flashes Statement Mascara [full size]
Sesha - Renu Exfoliating Gel [deluxe]
Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream [deluxe]

After writing all that, I actually want write a blog post about it all. xD

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Apparently my fiance signed up for that healthy snack box someone was talking about. I can't remember the name of it though...