Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM

awesome♥recipes

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM

grilled macaroni and cheese are the best!

grilled macaroni and cheese

Last edited by hummy; 03-31-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 PM

I think I'm going to try the macaroni/tuna thing today. Where you make mac-n-cheese and add tuna and diced bell pepper. When I was little we LOVED regular mac with a squirt of ketchup. One that I've been avoiding is where you add hamburger and taco seasoning. What do you do with that?? Serve it with a taco-condiment salad?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM

for some reason i just can't swallow warm tuna fish and macaroni and cheese. my mom loves it and i won't even eat the macaroni and cheese out of the caserole. i like squirting ketchup on macaroni and cheese, too. i like cheeseburger macaroni and cheese, too, but haven't tried taco seasoning yet. *adds to my list of things to try*

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-31-2014, 03:35 PM

I think that's why I'm so excited to try it. We make tuna casserole with tuna, elbows, cream of mushroom, peas, and something else... We have it with peanut butter sandwiches. Trust me. If you have something creamy and savory, have a peanut butter sandwich and a tall glass of milk as sides and you won't be disappointed.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 PM

i hope you enjoy your yummie meal. i do love me some peanut butter sammies

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 AM

Resurrecting this to talk about the amazing mac n cheese I made today. Just some elbows boiled until soft, a tablespoon of butter and HOLY CRAP I DUMPED A CUP OF MILK IN A 2 CUP POT. I added five slices of cheese, dropped the heat and, even though I had to watch it for a good 25 minutes, cooked it down until it ran like hot syrup. The end product was a rich, thick (but not too cheesey) mac that didn't overpower your taste buds. If only I could do this every time.

Miscreant74
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-06-2014, 03:19 AM

Normal Mac or elbow pasta, make your usual cheese sauce but add Cabbat seriously sharp cheddar, top with panko bread crumbs and parmigiana cheese.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 AM

mac and cheese recipes always look good, but I never actually try them. When I want mac and cheese, I just go for Kraft. I've honestly yet to try a homemade recipe that is actually better than Kraft. Although I know of a place that apparently serves various mac and cheeses exclusively (or near exclusively). I ought to try that. Bet they won't trifle with any of that Velveeta nonsense!

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM

Have you guys ever had a mac with mozzarella?

jupiter
inactive account

Old 08-10-2014, 10:57 PM

I just use a medley of leftover cheeses and spicy peppers. We used the last of our hatch chilies in this last mac n' cheese, so it was spicy and cheesy. I don't know how you guys do it, but I make a roux first.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 PM

I'm not into spicy, but that sounds intriguing! Sort of like a queso dip, but with noodles. I should try that with some mild peppers.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 AM

I find that mac does best when you get the cheese sauce ready in a separate pan and add the cooked noodles. Is that making a rue? *ignorant to cooking terms*

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-23-2014, 02:29 AM

I've decided to try and make my own mac n' cheese from scratch. I've got my ingredients. The cheeses I'm using are a smoked Gouda and a mild white cheddar with hatch chile peppers in it. O3O

Anyone got any tips?

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 AM

I've only tried it once, and you have to be spot on, but boiling the noodles in the right amount of milk makes them extra delicious! There's also making a sauce and folding the cooked noodles into it instead of adding the cheese to the noodles and hot milk. Some cheeses take longer to melt.

How are you going to do the chili peppers?

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-23-2014, 07:27 AM

The chile peppers are in the cheddar cheese. Hatch Chile peppers are seasonal around fall or so. So you see a lot of different items with the hatch peppers in them come late summer early fall.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-23-2014, 07:35 PM

Sounds yummy!!

AliciaNwonderland
Halloweiner

Old 10-29-2014, 03:56 PM

What an awesome topic!!!! I love macncheese so haaahd! I've never met a recipe for it that I ur didn't like but homemade is my favorite. I dont know if you guys use whipping cream in your regular cooking but I've found that if you buy a carton of it (heavy whipping cream.... NOT to be confused with the sweet dessert whip cream, this is the carton kind for cooking) that it makes a homemade macncheese people will beg you to make again! Take the cream and pour it into a saucepan over medium heat stirring occasionally until well heated.dont allow to boil. After tha cream is hot u add shredded cheese and stir until melted. I like a lot of cheese so I use a lot but you can add to taste :) after the shredded is cheese is thoroughly melted pour mixture over your choice of noodles that have been cooked and drained in a casserole or glass baking dish. I like to saute mushrooms n a little butter with brocoli florets and mix these in as well. Crumbled bacon is also a delicious addition if youre eating it as a complete meal in itself. Mix all these ingredients in the dish until everything is well coated and sprinkle more shredded cheese of your choice on top. Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese on top is melted and then allow to sit for five to ten minutes so tha sauce will firm. This is a super easy quick recipe my whole family loves and i serve it as its own meal, like a casserole. Enjoy!!

Last edited by AliciaNwonderland; 10-29-2014 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: left a sentence out lol

Penella Goldeater
*^_^*

Old 11-01-2014, 02:12 AM

Oh wow I love mac n cheese but I'll only fuss with the boxed stuff.
I probably eat mac n cheese three times a week.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 AM

Mac and cheese is my ultimate comfort food.

For day-to-day eating, I mostly make box mac and cheese. Sometimes I spice it up with grated cheese, green onions, or mushrooms.

For special occasions like my birthday, I make my mom's baked version. This is where the ultimate comfort comes from; I can eat this stuff endlessly. I don't have an exact, portioned out recipe, but I can share the gist of it:

SPOILERX

Chexala's Mom's Special Baked Mac & Cheese!
  1. Cook up a bag of pasta of your choice and grate a ton of cheese.
  2. Layer the pasta and cheese in several layers into a baking dish.
  3. PRO TIP: For extra deliciousness, start with cheese on the bottom. It will become a crispy-chewy layer of cheesy crust at the bottom of the dish. It's the best thing, omg.
  4. In a bowl or cup, mix together 1 egg, about 1/2 cup of milk, and some dashes of salt, pepper, and paprika.
  5. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the pasta and cheese. Dot the top with butter.
  6. Bake in the oven until the whole thing is bubbling and browned on the bottom/edges.

Sorry about the lack of exactness here, if you have any questions about it, just ask!

jupiter
inactive account

Old 12-17-2014, 12:52 PM

I...I like the kind from a box.
I had a craving for it the other night. It's the first time I've even thought about macaroni and cheese in years.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 12-22-2014, 11:48 PM

jupiter, I like the boxed kind also. It's different from homemade, obvs, but so tasty in it's own right.

Also, apparently people have been eating mac and cheese for a long time. Check out this cool historical recipe I found:
“Maccarony Cheese” | Cooking in the Archives