Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM

Thoughts on a Woody

Random happenings, pictures, moments, memories, and musings from one Woodlandnypmh a.k.a. Woody. Feel free to comment and add your two cents...or nickel. So long as site rules are followed you're welcome. So, don't be a goober!

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-09-2014 at 08:00 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM

Table of content-y thing

Post Holiday: Welcome 2014!
Early January 2014
Mid January 2014
Still Kinda Mid January 2014

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-20-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 PM

Links

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-09-2014 at 11:51 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Curse your sudden yet inevitable Yuletide portrayal!
Post Holiday: Welcome 2014!

Roll me over, I am done. That was a lot of food, merriment, more food, did I mention food? Yah... Holidays.

Well, those are over! Long and the short of it is that I am not to sad to see 2013 go. Some amazing-tastic things happened last year, don't get me wrong. I've got a new goobery cute nephew, I had a blast with my friends, etc. But, there were some low lows as well. SO, onwards and upwards to 2014!

I am all over the new year. I'm going to make it amazing. **Insert bright shiny future here please!** I'll do an unofficial label on this year as 'The Year of the Hopeful.' Already any little zygotes of plans are getting me excited. Trip into the city to see a Broadway play near my birthday? Yes! It's been a while. New job/ school goals? Yes ma'am/sir/baby. Who knows. Maybe I'll jump outta a plane this year too if I can strap myself into all those fun safety doodads first.

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-09-2014 at 07:59 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 AM

A Start on the New Year: Early January 2014

The New Year started off as it should; tipsy and with friends. *Slightly* after midnight, since I had started off the festivities having a few too many jell-o shots (keep it classy Woody) early on in the evening followed by the traditional champagne toast to old friends....forgetting them? What? Oh Auld Lang Syne. Silly Robert Burns. Not my favorite song in the world. Give me "The Parting Glass" any day.

Quote:
Of all the money that e'er I had
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call

A man may drink and not be drunk
A man may fight and not be slain
A man may court a pretty girl
And perhaps be welcomed back again
But since it has so ought to be
By a time to rise and a time to fall
Come fill to me the parting glass

After mellowing out, broke from the holidays, my pteromerhanophobic brother got his butt on a plane (miracle of miracles) and flew across the country for a surprise visit. How he managed without getting knocked out and dragged abroad is a mystery.

So, we had a long week of parties, silliness, and generally waffling on his part whether or not staying on the West coast away from family was something he really wanted to do. The parties included fun at my sister's place, my parents place, and my brothers place. So, Holiday Feasting Part Deux. Any and all calorie counting will be saved for a later date. The silliness? On top of all the pent up sibling abuse and antics, one of my best buds Parasitic Panda: stayed the weekend.

This meant surprise foam mjolnir boffings with cries of, "For the Ponies!", late night oniguri making, and adventures out in the cold at used book stores, antique stores, and for ice cream (hey, never said we were smart).

Oh and we decided my 7 month old nephew will be a sea captain one day...

Now that my brother is on a return flight to the West Coast (again....still baffles me that he managed to get on a plane) things are nice and mellow.

<<Things to Look Forward To>>
  • A Linnea: visit and hockey game!
  • World Peace....please? That was on my Christmas List
  • Lighter Days. It might still be cold and snowy for a few months, but dang it, slowly my days are getting longer!

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-10-2014 at 01:20 AM..

Parasitic Panda
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-10-2014, 02:09 AM

Again, that weekend was a blast and totally needed. I'mma stop there because you know the rest. Annnnnd I am super excited for Linny-poops time!! Yay awesome adventures take 2!

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 AM

take one for me! but looked forward to none the less

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 AM

Both of you will feature prominently in shenanigans and silly talks. Get used to pings! ;)

Drop Bear
The myth or the legend?

Penpal

Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 AM

PINGS FOR EVERYONE!

... no wait, drugs are baaaad, mmkay?

Nice work thus far Woodster! Look forward to seeing your new year unfurl, like a favourite sock you found rolled up in the back of the drawer and youve been looking for for months!

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 AM

That sock was my best friend!! *cries*

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Random musings: Mid January 2014

Not too much has happened thanks to a bought of feeling pretty cruddy. I've been watching Sorted food videos and getting ideas to cook things I've no motivation to cook at the moment, and I've been watching movies like Terminator 2:Judgement Day annnnnd Persuasion. Nothing makes you feel better than Jane Austen and nuclear holocaust.

Things I've started: It's my nephew's 9th birthday this week and he's pretty obsessed with Minecraft now. This makes me even cooler since I play it too. I thought I'd make him something to hang in his room, so I cut out 64 2 inch pixel squares and eventually, I'll sew them all together to make a creeper head. Pillow or wall hanging? Dunno yet. If I have time, I'll make an Enderhead or Skull to go along with it.

I've also had an idea to write/paint something to go along with an old Victorian rhyme I was thinking about lately. If I paint it, it'll just be for my enjoyment....so I might make a short story out of it.

<<Things to look forward to>>
  • Mitsuwa Trip! Oh man. Not many places will get me so excited to shop. Especially when it means driving to New Jersey. Time to stock up on hard to find items and get some ingredients to make mooncakes and inari.Mitsuwa
  • Hockey! So soon!!!
  • Stank Hole Day! The made up holiday that involves the gift of crazy socks and ugly cakes. February 2nd people. Mark your calenders.

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-13-2014 at 06:34 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 AM

Mitsuwa here we come! : Still kinda Mid- January 2014

My lunch! Miso broth ramen with a tea egg and braised pork rice bowl. Ah yes, and extra naruto!

Ladies and gents I have been waiting for this. And it was worth the wait, I'm telling you. It's over 2 1/2 hours away when all is said and done, but we did it. Hello Edgewater, New Jersey and a LOVELY view of Manhattan right across the Hudson River. Hello Mitsuwa. An Asian foodie paradise!

My friend Krayne and my trip started running down to Parasitic Panda:'s apartment in New York to get her and then we were off! Off for goodies! Off for glory! A little over an hour after that and we were at this food wonderland. Mitsuwa A food court with a taiyaki stand, oniguri stop, and what we waited in line for 20 minutes for. Ramen. So good.

Now comes the grocery shopping. My head was spinning. SO many hard to find ingredients that I wanted so I could whip up some goodies at home. I wish I had more money to toss at the cashiers there. I ended up with bonito flakes (Thanks Panda!!), dried red beans & sweet rice flour so I could try my hand at making dango at home, inari skins, and a treat or two.

After that we played around at the toy shop next door before going back to Mitsuwa for some hot fresh and cripsy red bean taiyaki and cream yaki and roasted green bubble tea.

Taiyaki for reference.

I'm planning on saving my pennies for another trip before the spring! This time I will have a laundry list of items I want to nab!

<<Things to Look Forward To>>
  • Hockey Game!!!! This coming weekend! I can't wait.

Parasitic Panda
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM

The food, oh the glorious food! So much tastiness in one day. I am so happy that we were able to go. PS: my dango is getting harder to resist, but I just had my glorious mochi. And STANK HOLE DAY! I need to get socks for you, Krayne and Linny-poops