Ishira
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 PM

@Sora`- I never really looked at it that way before. And I never see myself writing fanfiction for those sort of books, those are the sort that I would go crazy over and do research for and that would be weird to me. I do research for my own original writing and that's all.

I've never even heard of an author suing someone for writing fanfiction o__O
Although I heard someone wrote one so horrible it was published and people only ever read it to see just how bad it is and laugh or weep.

Larxene
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 AM

I know of a Harry Potter based fanfiction that was published in Russia and J.K. Rowling attempted to go to great lengths to get the author sued. However there was some odd rules over there that ended up her losing the battle.

But yeah, authors can sue people over fanfiction.

Which is again why I stick to the anime genre. Those creators tend to like / get some laughs out of it and even use it themselves for giggles and get more fans.

For example, there is an episode of Pandora Hearts where two male characters are together, one holding the other close in a hug. One of the female characters is drunk and looks at them and in her mind, it shows sparkles and a pretty background with silly twinkle music going on, which is a hint of "yaoi" that the creator put in there for laughs and to get points from yaoi fans.

bethanynel813
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-02-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erailea View Post
I'm wrtting a fanfic for the first time in about 3 1/2 years. Haha. It's a transformers one, I've been having a lot of fun with it, but I did it for experimenting purposes more than anything. I've never written in 1st person, I always write in 3rd. But I also did it because I had writers block on my original novel idea.

Basically I look at fanfics as a learning experience for people. Writers practice writing and try to get a handle on story telling and proper grammar and readers learn how to look at stories in a discerning way.

But for the most part I've stopped reading fanfics. I read a few every now and again, but most of them just do not suit my tastes. I've lost interest in Mary-sue driven stories, so it takes a rare and well written one to grab me. And many stories that aren't mary-sue are not written up tot he grade I want to read (bad grammar and what not that I'm to busy frowning over then enjoying the story).

But ya, I agree, sometimes you do come across extremely well written ones.

I agree. Some people are good authors but can't think up compleately new ideas that well, so they write FanFics. There are also authors who write fanfics that CAN think up ideas really well... no offence intended

I'll stop talking now.

Ishira
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-02-2010, 06:38 PM

@Sora` - Jeez, there's just so much to look out for someday x__x
I know I'll be scanning online for fanfiction and art whenever I get something published...if anyone will actually like it and read it that is.

Haha I love how they do stuff like that in anime. It really does leave so much up to the imagination. Especially in Ouran with the twins o:

Larxene
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM

If for some reason I were to become an author, I would look for fanfiction and fanart and laugh, enjoy it, etc.
Because I would take on the same approach that the anime / manga artists do. XD
Possibly get some enjoyment out of any slash / yaois written about characters I'd have, lol.
Or I could just jump on the bandwagon and write my own "fanfics" out of my own stories to surprise fans. xD

Ishira
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 PM

That would definitely be a surprise! xD

I'm just afraid that there will be sibling incest with one story of mine D:
It makes me feel icky to think about it but I KNOW people will do something to pair them.
Otherwise the people can have fun with it

YuYuPantsu
Lady YuYu

Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM

LOL. For me, I get so into fanfictions, they might as well be the real thing instead of the book, anime, or movie. @_@;; haha, I especially love Inuyasha. Dear sweet baby Jeebus. O _O *Goes back into her girl cave and reads some more*

I think the reason I like it so much is that normal books are so boring and uneventful, plus like you said... they kind of drop off and end when you really want them to continue on forever. XD *rambles on some more*

MistressWhiteAsh
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to MistressWhiteAsh

Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 AM

I believe fanfiction is all well and fun, it's just a creative expression, but the only thing I would say it should not be allowed to do is be published for money when it's very obvious that most of what you are using for the base of the story is not your own. Fanfiction is just something fun and time passing to do, it is not meant as any real harm. If I were ever published, which is my goal, I expect that somewhere, someone, might want to make fanfiction off my characters. I can't control what they do, it might even annoy me, but I respect that they can be creative. I just want fanfiction writers to remember it's not their own work one hundred percent.

purplewaterbottle
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 AM

I feel it's great the writer loves the books or TV series so much, but my thoughts are they lack creativity. You basicly don't have to come up with anything.

Larxene
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewaterbottle View Post
I feel it's great the writer loves the books or TV series so much, but my thoughts are they lack creativity. You basicly don't have to come up with anything.
Not true. I've seen some fanfiction that have some great ideas behind them.
Just sadly, they lack the spelling and grammar to really hold them together.

The Enchanted Tiara
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-23-2010, 02:04 AM

I don't usually read fan-fiction, but I think that when writers or producers of shows/movies/books hate it that they are extremely ignorant. People only read fan-fiction when they loved a series so much that they can't stand for it to end. It keeps the fan-base alive and growing and is actually very flattering. As long as they aren't making a profit from it or anything, it's not a big deal.

I'm a writer myself and I'd be extremely flattered if people wrote fan-fiction based off of things I wrote.

Although most of it is poorly written.

Larxene
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-23-2010, 02:07 AM

Yes, sadly a lot of fanfiction is poorly written. A lot of them have good ideas behind them, just not the grammar and spelling to support it. :(

It's why I'm interested in writing more fanfiction, so there are more literate stuff, however every time I think about sitting down and writing some, I'm either not feeling good, busy, or just can't think of how to write my idea(s) out.

Milady Purity
Watch for me as the sky turns go...
Send a message via AIM to Milady Purity

Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 AM

I write Phantom of the Opera fanfictions all the time. I hated to see that one end, but I just finish it off in an ever so very more awful and depressing manner.

sweet windmelody
Cookies is my life!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM

I love to read fanfictions. It's sad to see the story come to an end, but it's good that it can continue in fanfics. XD

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 AM

i've been reading fanfiction for years now.
i enjoy them mostly for the laughs and kicks and just like Enchanted Tiara said, because i enjoyed the original and didnt want it to end (or i wanted it to end a different way xD). as long as there is a fair amount of proper grammar and such. though, i've read quite a few that seem better than the originals. still, i tend to find them few and far between.

and so far, there as been even fewer, like maybe 2, that have written so well, that the OCs they introduce, i actually love them, and feel sad when they are hurt/dead and am actually on the edge of my seat waiting on what's happening to them

LaVida
On Semi-Hiatus
Penpal

Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 PM

Woot! Fanfictions are awesome :3 for those people that do not like fanfictions and just want to stick with the original story, just don't read it if you're gonna dis it XD

Little Miss
Queen of all things Yellow

Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 PM

I don't read them, but I make them up in my head all the time after I read something ^^

Enzeru
Her Ladyship

Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 AM

I write fanfiction.
I will read some of it but it's hard to find anything worth reading.