Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 AM

I make a lot of threads. ;-;
And I abandon ALL OF THEM.

Okay,
So...
Medication.

I am currently on psych meds and I am supposed to take them everyday. However, I can never, ever remember to take them unless someone else asks me, "Did you take your meds today?" And that's when I remember to take them, if I'm home at that time.
If I'm not home when they ask, I say, "I'll take them when I get home" then I forget.

I have no idea how to remember to take my meds. I'm supposed to take them every morning, but I just cannot seem to remember to take them.

Are there any ways to remember to take medications that you guys use that actually help?

Like, today, I went out with my parents at noon-ish, forgot to take my meds, they asked, "Hey, Ava, did you take your meds today?" And I said I'd take them when I got home. Well, I got home three hours ago and only remembered to take my meds just a couple of minutes before making this thread.

HALP!

Dazzlingdreamberry
*^_^*

Old 04-19-2015, 01:35 AM

Hi ava! Meds are important to take and can make you feel better. Sometimes youre supposed to take them morning or evening, for a reason. So, do you drink morning cafe? Fill one of those daily pill boxes and set next to cafe. Or microwave. You can also bring small pill case in purse. Good luck!

HIM_ROCK
NPC

Penpal

Old 04-19-2015, 04:51 PM

You need to get yourself into a routine. My routine is take them first thing when I come downstairs or if I'm out and about overnight take them first thing when I wake up.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 04-21-2015, 01:56 AM

I have tried to get into a routine, but I have kind of a mixed up week.
I work three days a week, (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) and on those days I wake up around 6:15am and sometimes I remember to take my meds without anyone reminding me. Then on Tues and Thursday and weekends, I wake up whenever I can drag myself out of bed, which is usually around 11am-12:30pm, so by then my schedule is all messed up and I forget to eat until later and I forget to take my medication because I never seem to do the same things in the morning so there's no routine for me.

There is nothing that I do everyday in the morning all the time.
I just recently got out of a really deep depression cycle, so even like, personal hygiene is something I kind of do as I remember it, not routinely. During my depression I stopped all personal hygiene for months, so it's hard for me to get back into the routine of remembering to do those things on a regular basis.

Is there any tips to help me remember? Or ways to get into a routine and stick with it?

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 AM

Do you brush your teeth every day? Keep your meds by your toothbrush.
Ya go to the bathroom every day.....maybe a cute reminder/picture placed on the wall across from the toilet?
Maybe a reminder in your underwear drawer?
....attached to your hair brush?....in your shoe?
I have to take aspirin and a heart medication every morning and a cholesterol medication at night.
I keep a week's worth of pills in a daily pill box and have trained myself to remember my morning pills when I pour my first cup of coffee.
I, sometimes, forget the nighttime pill cuz I fall asleep early....but I usually remember.
I attribute my remembering to take my meds to not wanting to have another heart attack!
You must find a reason within yourself to make you WANT to remember!
Do you feel that your meds work for you? ....ya gotta take it regularly so your blood level stays the same before ya can tell if it really works or not,...so, ya gotta find a way to remember!
Maybe an alert on your phone?

SeaSaltEyes
Professional Napper

Old 05-09-2015, 05:41 AM

When I was on medication it was helpful if I put an alarm on my phone and just set it to go off everyday. Usually there was a certain time when I knew I would always be home so I set an alarm for that. Before I had the alarms on my phone I would put my pills out in the open and leave myself a note on the fridge so that I would remember to take them with breakfast. I've found that having them out in the open helps me to remember. My wife is currently on a lot of medication for her idiopathic hypersomlia and she keeps her meds on the dining room table so when we're eating lunch they're right there for her to take. Keeping them out where you can see them will really help. After a while you'll just get so used to taking them that you'll know something is off when you've forgotten them and it will help you remember quicker.

KillerQueen364
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-13-2015, 01:45 PM

I take medication that is very important because I am HIV positive. I set an alarm that is right by my pill box that is across the room. So I have to get up, walk all the way across the room to the pill box just to shut the alarm off. I take my meds and THEN shut the alarm off.

VixieMooCow
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-24-2015, 07:11 PM

i leave notes for myself around the house, i ALWAYS forget to take pills, always! so i think leaving notes for yourself is the best thing

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-25-2015, 06:48 PM

Ava The Vampire: I realize this thread is a bit old, and I hope you're not still having problems, but just in case...

Simplest solution is to set an alarm on your phone. Pick a time you know you'll usually be awake and at home, and set it up so the alarm will go off every single day. Label it "TAKE MEDS RIGHT NOW GOSH DARNIT!!!!" if you have to. When that alarm goes off, no matter what you're doing, take your meds right then. Don't turn the alarm off. If you absolutely can't take them right that second (like, say, you're on the toilet or something), don't turn the alarm, hit "snooze" so it will remind you again in ~10 minutes when you're more likely to be available. But again - DON'T TURN OFF THE ALARM IF YOU'RE NOT ABOUT TO TAKE THEM. Then you might forget before you finish whatever you're doing.

I speak from experience. I don't take meds myself, but I have a diabetic cat who needs insulin every 12 hours. If I didn't have alarms set to remind me he'd probably only get it a couple times a week. And when that alarm went off and I couldn't give him his shot right that second and I turned the alarm off instead of hitting snooze? Yeah, I forgot by the time I was done with what I was doing. I'm dumb. Poor kitty. So use snooze.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 08-25-2015, 06:55 PM

i have an alarm on my cellie, too
it's annoying and won't quit reminding me until i take them

also if your meds need to be taken each day only once
i would take them before i brush my teeth.
leave your bottle right next to your toothpaste
pop your pills, brush your teeth and haver a good day!

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-04-2015, 04:09 PM

I've been taking meds, every day, for some 15 years or so, after having suffered a heart attack...
And my disabled daughter has taken a muscle relaxed and an anti-seizure medication, 3 times a day, for 30 years...
I'm good at taking (and giving) the meds that are a daily thing...but when we are prescribed something additional, like a vitamin supplement or an antibiotic, I forget to take (or give) them because they are new to the old routine....
I have even taped the pill bottle to my phone to prevent me from forgetting....and STILL forgot! Lol!