maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 12-06-2018, 02:20 AM

Hey, I used to be on this website 2-3 years ago. Been awhile since I was on but cautiously thought I might return. I have a lot of good memories and friends here. In Internet time it was quite a while ago so I know I might not be remembered. I used this site for company while in college and then abroad. Discovered roleplaying and took that up while here. Not quite the same person I was, but am still me. Just saying hi.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-06-2018, 03:26 AM

Hey there and welcome back! I recently came back from a long hiatus (from around 2015 to 2018) myself, so you probably don't know me. Hello anyways!

maidenroseheart

Old 12-06-2018, 03:47 AM

Antagonist! I do remember you. Either I read your roleplays or I was a roleplaying partner of yours. It has been so long, I truly don't recall. *sigh of relief* Feels good to know someone :) How have you been? Enjoying being back in Menewsha? Has there been any changes?

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 AM

I guess so? I wasn't much of a roleplayer, though I did occasionally roleplay from time to time when I could find a topic that I liked.

I've been enjoying being back on Mene, though it's a shame that there aren't a lot of people around anymore ever since the server move and consequent borks all over the site. I miss the activity and the people.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-06-2018, 04:45 AM

I thought things seemed a bit dead around here. Figured I was just online when others were sleeping/busy. Missed out on this server move. In the past there was usually several dozen new people to welcome over the course of 24 hours. The roleplaying forum didn't have many recent requests either. A bit nostalgic about that. Maybe others who haven't been on will magically over several months return? Like you did and then like I did? I know it is a bit much to hope for, but it would be nice. I am not used to introducing myself to new people but it appears I better. I'm curious who else wonders through to say hi. Behind the times in anime but perhaps we will be able to find topics to converse in that is familiar to everyone?

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-06-2018, 05:15 AM

Well I've been back for about a month and it's been like this pretty much every day unfortunately.

Mostly I've stuck to the Hangouts, I think that's the most active forum these days where people still post every day. Most other forums are dead.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 PM

That explains why no one responded to my roleplaying request. Well, guess I better go check out the hang outs then. Glad you found me!

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 AM

I think I saw your roleplay request, though I'm not very familiar with the first two (I've seen it around but never really watched or read the series). I have read Overlord though, it's a pretty good novel, if a little graphic and cruel at times (relentless? merciless? not sure how to describe how I feel about the series sometimes).

maidenroseheart

Old 12-07-2018, 03:20 AM

lol I like the story lines of the first including the depth of various human emotions/reactions. I like the strategies of the "gamers" in the second and how it also showed how humanity can respond in multiple ways to their given situations. But my favorite is most certainly Overlord. Your adjectives certainly describe it in a good way. The third season (I watched the anime) where those adventurers descended on the Tomb of Navarick only to be wiped out (even those with touching back stories) was hard to watch but only raised my respect for the writing of the script. It was also very satisfying for some reason.

I thought it would be fun to roleplay in a world where common knowledge was set up. Currency similar to what gamers use. Gold Coins and rarer "Gems." Have some sort of levels where you know that if you are level 50, the magics you can use are any spells level 5 or under. Have it set up with what is rare and what is common. Etc. Once common knowledge was set up, then create characters to play in this setting.

Then my twin brother introduced me to D&D, created a character, start playing next week. I wonder if there is any chance the writers of Overlord took the human reactions of Sword Art Online, the strategies of Log Horizon, and the basic structure of a D&D campaign to make Overlord? If so, it was splendidly done.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-07-2018, 03:38 AM

Yeah, it's a little frustrating to have all those people who have good backgrounds get wiped out, but then again it's all the more realistic. I liked the part where Antz (I'm not sure how to spell their names in English, I read the Chinese version of it online) wiped out the whole army by summoning the black goats/lambs that stampeded through the army and caused the Empire(?) army to freak out and almost killed themselves out of panic.

I like reading novels where common knowledge is set up, with the levels, skills, and abilities like a video game. Have you read/watched the Reincarnation into Slime novel/anime? It doesn't have levels but have a lot of skills and abilities that could be gained through doing certain things. It's more of a cute story about a slime making his way through the fantasy world than the grittiness of Overlord though.

I've heard a lot about D&D and would love to try it someday, but have never had the chance to. I wish I knew people irl who plays it and can teach me about it, it seems really fun to play.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-08-2018, 12:10 AM

That was pretty epic. I was so amused that finally, finally they realized who they were dealing with. And then they ran away lol. You are multi lingual then? How many languages are you familiar with?

I haven't, though it does sound intriguing. I will have to add Reincarnation into Slime into my list of things to watch. I have a Crunchyroll account that has a decent collection.

Oh! I know just the person you need to get into contact with! We are starting a D&D online using a specific site! I'm new to it and so it another friend who has yet to set up her character. The fellow who is the DM had be create an account on there, find the game, and then he had me go launch into it so that via webcam and mic he could explain how to create a character. I'll ask if he is open to another player but I am certain the answer is yes. Here is the link in case it is a go. I will get back with you. Are you interested? It is going to be held on Thursday nights (most of us are in the Central Timezone).

https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/det...demonic-angels

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-08-2018, 04:16 AM

I'm bilingual, just Mandarin and English for me, though I'm not exactly super great at either language so hiccups in grammar sometimes happen Sadly I can't read the novels in their original language, Japanese.

Ooh, so Crunchyroll has novels on them to read? I'll have to give it a go someday, I'm almost constantly looking for new fics to read.
Another fic whose English name I don't know is about someone who got reincarnated into a spider and had to fight her for her new life in a really harsh environment. It's a little more difficult to read because it jumps around the timeline and POVs a lot but it's super interesting. There's level ups and tons of skills that can be gained by interacting with the environment, like gaining defense against fire if the person stays near a harmful source of fire/lava, etc.

I'm not sure if that would work, I'm in the GMT +8 time zone so there's a 14 hour difference between our timezones I'm probably either busy or still sleeping during Central Timezone nights If it works it'll be great though. I signed up but the link leads me to a Not Authorized page, so I guess I'll need to be invited into the group first.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Bilingual is so cool! I learned basic French in middle school, but never used it so lost it. Then I spent 2 years in Korea, never used the language when I returned so lost it. Really wish I had worked harder to know other languages. The best I have now is I watch anime subbed and picked up some random Japanese words.

Love history and studying it. Victorian women were not the frilly, chin up, ladies who stayed home all day that many people romanticized them to be. Yes they loved parties but they also competed for who had the most tattoos. And get this, they often were multi lingual. Knowing easily 4-7 languages. Maybe not easily, but they were skilled in the language department. So jealous and yet you have to wonderful what it took to learn and maintain those languages. Someday, I want kids. When I do, they will learn many languages and I will make sure they use them by having friends who converse in same language.

Crunchroll has a lot of stuff on it. I'm uncertain about novels as I haven't actually looked at that side. But they have anime, kdrama, jdrama, and some other stuff. Don't need a subscription to look through and see what it offers. But if you want to get rid of adds, have it remember what you look at, and have a queue then you would need that subscription.

That is a really cool sounding like. I think I found it. "So I'm A Spider, So What?" sound like it is the correct one? On Crunchyroll there is an article from August saying that they are going to take the light novel and turn it into an anime. I would definitely want to see it! I should start a thread somewhere in one of the forums and keep a running list of Anime series, what they are about, and then I can leave a review after I watch them. Hmmm... will think about that.

Oh yeah, I remember those days. I was 12 hours difference when I was in Korea. That meant either get up early or stay up late. Was difficult. I asked the DM about it and he said wait till January and ask again. There is evidently 5 or so others who expressed interest, but they are not active. Which he won't add them if they are going to be inactive. This game he is starting is meant to be several years long where we meet once a week. Just let me know!

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-09-2018, 02:43 AM

I learned basic Japanese in college, but I've pretty much forgotten it all by now. I can only recognize a few hiriganas and katakanas and a few words these days. Kanji is both harder and easier because I can 'read' them, but I don't know what they mean in Japanese nor how to pronounce them. Sometimes they have similar meanings to Chinese so I can at least guess at what they mean but it's spotty at best.

Yeah I'm kind of jealous how so many people know so many languages. I have no talent in languages so it's hard learning new ones. Taiwanese is a dialect spoken here but despite me living here for most of my life I've never managed to learn it beyond a few simple words.

Oh yeah, I forgot you watch the animes and not the novels. I think my friend uses Billibilli for her anime stuff, along with a few other platforms. I don't watch anime much so I've never used any of them.

Yes! That's the one! It would be cool if it becomes an anime! It's pretty fun to read though people have been saying that it kind of becomes less interesting in the later chapters because of -stuff- *avoids spoilers* I still think it's pretty good though.

I have no idea if my schedule will allow for it but I'm interested. Do games usually take years to finish?

maidenroseheart

Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Maybe languages is one of those things you have to learn when you are younger? I heard that some languages have sounds that are not existent in English and if you don't have your child hear them spoken while under age 3 or so that they will have greater difficulty in picking them up. Not sure how true that is but I use it to pat myself on the back in consolation.

Will keep an eye on it and see when it is released :)

I'm not sure. I heard that there are things called campaigns and that they take quite a few months to play. That said, I asked how long it takes to level your character. The DM said for this game we are starting, 6 months to get your character to level 6, potentially, but every level is harder to level up to so level 16 is really hard to reach and level 20 will take an even longer time.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-09-2018, 12:16 PM

It's true that with greater age it's more difficult to pronounce certain sounds not native in your own language, though I know a lot of people who are good at learning languages. There was this guy I met at work who could speak over ten languages all semi-fluently. So jealous.

Wow. I didn't know that D&D takes that long to finish campaign. I barely even know about all the races available to play in the game. I know there's elves, dwarves, humans, and tieflings I think? And tiny people, dragon people??

maidenroseheart

Old 12-09-2018, 05:33 PM

That is truly remarkable. Just think of the doors having so many languages could open.

For D&D there are core races and then subraces after that depending on the extra campaign or books that you get to supplement the main guide. Right now 5th Edition is popular.

Core
Dragonborn
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half Elf
Half Orc
Halfling
Human
Tiefling

There tends to be so many more options than this but it truly depends on how the DM is setting up the campaign.
In the D&D I am hoping to start, I am a half-elf and then the class is a bard because there is a lot of bonuses for this combo. The downside is in fights, you don't want to get hit or engage in close combat as I have no health.

Principal base classes are as follows:
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Warlock
Wizard

Everyone has their favorites. Most people will only do one D&D at a time I think just because of the commitment required. There is always a chance that a DM might create a short term campaign. I don't know any other DMs except the one. That website I shared has games listed. If there is a way to search by shorter campaigns just to get a taste of it, you could check.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-10-2018, 12:32 AM

Yeah. The guy I met was studying graduate school and he's a foreigner, but he speaks Chinese pretty well. Like I know some people have an easier time learning various languages spoken in Europe because they're all similar, but Chinese is completely different. He knows a bit of Japanese too. Just wow.

The races and classes sound pretty complicated. I wonder if there are sites that do a detailed analysis of all of them so I can understand and get a better feel for what to choose.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-10-2018, 03:09 AM

You might like what I just discovered. http://www.ddo.com/en is the Dungeons and Dragons website. You can play for free their version which is set up more like an MMO RPG than a board game. The free version has limited choices of races and classes but it is still a good variety so you could learn D&D stuff. One I created my account, it took an hour to get it downloaded to my laptop. Then after the game loaded, I had to close and reload. After that worked great. Took the top world and started the story line. I am doing everything solo but it appears you can do stuff in groups too like you would if you were playing the game with others. It tells you how to do stuff with your keyboard. The one short cut it didn't tell me but I discovered on my own was the key "c" which pulls up the classic Character Sheet with all your character stats which is pretty cool.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-10-2018, 05:29 AM

I probably won't download the game since it seems like it might accidentally eat up all my time Their game guide seems quite informative though! It has a lot of links like Barbarian 101 or Cleric 101 so I'll be able to understand how the classes work and stuff.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 PM

I'm glad their guides help :) It is easy to be consumed by it. I had to limit myself last night to 3 quests. Then I forced myself to get offline. So not sure how smart it was to get involved with it. That said, I'm happy to have a game I enjoy and can do. I was hoping to roleplay here but that particular feature of Menewsha is not all that active right now. I was also hoping to commission an artist but with the way things are, might have to wait for more activity to pick up. Hopefully once their tech issues are worked out, it will work out better socially.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-11-2018, 12:33 AM

That's my problem with engaging games as well, I have to limit myself or I'd never get any sleep!

I hope the tech issues get worked out too, but with Inso disappeared I have no idea if it'll ever happen. Once the bugs are out of the way and we have regular CIs and items coming out again things might pick back up. But I've heard that avatar sites aren't as popular as before these days so I don't know if that means the developers are less likely to care about the site anymore.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-11-2018, 03:33 AM

I just got done playing for the evening. It was really, really hard to stop. I went for 1.5 hours and I meant to only go .5 an hour. Ooops. But it was fun. But I have house chores I want to get done to surprise my husband. *sigh* choices...

Sadness. Where did Inso run off to? Yeah, regular CIs would be nice but also a little moderation in the markets. I would buy 10 of every CI and sell them for 2500 gold... only to have one person buy them all, turn around, and resell them for 4000-5000 gold. I was trying to keep things fair. Then I spent too much money and ran away for 3 yrs. I mean I am all for capitalism but as the board game monopoly clearly shows, without regulations 99% end up unhappy.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-11-2018, 11:05 AM

On some happy news, Inso is apparently still around behind the scenes because the join page is back up and running again! I found out when Facade posted in the Announcements forum State of Menewsha thread.

Wait people actually do that?? Wow. I just buy around two to three sets for my own personal use, with the spares for future-possible-gift-giving. I'm a bit of a hoarder like that.

maidenroseheart

Old 12-12-2018, 02:07 AM

lol yeah I know, I was trying so hard to make the markets fair. What I should have done was set up my own marketplace in a forum and ensured that only one person ever got an item from me. Would have probably helped.

Wonderful! I am glad he is here. I'm going to go check :D