Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 AM

Black snarled to herself. Someone was on the Number's private calling line. It wasn't someone she recognized but the informations was enough to make her angry. A Chess traveling into Numbers. Did that piece have a death wish? On top of that a BISHOP?! Nothing lower then a Knight could survive in Numbers and that was on top of assuming that the Knight had years of battle experiences or powerful magic.

She felt the organization's communication stone tremble again. Her blood ran cold as she heard the master's voice order, "One of you then, get rid of him."

"I will," she offered coldly. "I'm already near the boarder. I could... use the target practice." A ghostly smile danced on her face. Hopefully she would be able to send him back without having to kill him. Seika wouldn't like it. And if she went she could prevent any of her comrades from doing so.

"Very well, Black Angel," The Master spoke. The communication went dead.

Black's eyes narrowed. At least this proved that there was a spy in Chess. No one would have known that right away unless they were within the captial. She picked up another communication stone, telling Asho that she would be leaving him here. Picking up yet another one, she contacted Seika again.

------

Seika felt the communication stone grow hot. She plucked it out of her pocket, casting a silencing spell around her. "Yes?"

Black's face appeared on the surface. "One of your men is moving towards the edge of Numbers. I've been told he's has every intention of invading Numbers. Now unless you want me to kill him, we're moving up our sparring date to today," she said bluntly.

Seika twitched. No one had left this morning else she would have known which mean that someone just left within the last couple hours. But that also confirm they had a spy in their ranks because Black wouldn't have known about it so fast. Suddenly Seika was really grateful to have Black as an ally.

"I'll be there as soon as I grab a teleportation spell from Hotaru," Seika said. "Where? and Who?"

"Mathis your messenger, and he's headed towards Port Le White, the closest entrance to Numbers from the captial. He's moving by transport shuttle. So... try showing up a little late. If you don't mind I'm gonna have a little fun," Black said.

Seika's eyebrow raised. "Just don't kill him."

Black scoffed. "It would be an insult of my skills to kill him."

"....Right... I'll be there 'late' then," said Seika. The communication died. Seika set off to find Hotaru. She needed a transportation spell and fast.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 PM

Mathis was feeling much better as the transport shuttle pulled into the station at Port Le White. The shuttle came to a halt and he rose with the other passengers and filed slowly out. He reached into his pocket and felt for his taserspear. It was a small weapon, roughly the size of a small flashlight, but when he depressed the button, a long, electronically charged mechanism would deploy. It wasn't a great weapon for combat - rather good against muggers and common, unskilled criminals.

Mathis didn't seem to realize just how precarious a position he was in. His combat experience was seriously lacking. He'd always been stationed back at the central headquarters while Dunn had been the one to go on the missions since Dunn was much more of a natural at fighting. Mathis would simply receive his transmissions.

He didn't care, though. Convinced that Russell was bad news, he was determined to find West and bring her back so she could verify his worst fears about the man.

He wandered away from the commerce area that the shuttle had stopped in, away from the crowds, and toward the docks. The only way to Numbers at this point would be via one of the fishing boats. He just wasn't sure how he was going to convince the fishermen to take him there. While they worked closer to the shores of Numbers than anyone else in Chess, they were still deathly afraid of crossing the intercoastal boundary set up between the kingdoms. Perhaps the taserspear would come in handy. He didn't like the idea of threatening one of these simple men. But he saw no other way...

---

"Seika," Vienna called as she saw her friend walking through the hallway. She looked quite disturbed and either didn't hear Vienna or chose to ignore her. "SEIKA!" Vienna exclaimed, jogging toward her. "Did you not hear me calling?" she placed her hand on Seika's arm, but Seika pulled it away.

"Don't ask. Just trust me right now," she said.

Vienna frowned. "What are you talking about?" her voice changed as she felt a pang of nervousness in the pit of her stomach. This wasn't like her. Seika started to walk away and Vienna grabbed her arm again. "Seika, stop! What's going on?"

"I don't have time to explain. Not if you don't want to lose a friend."

Vienna stepped back in surprise. "Lose a friend? What?" She couldn't understand what Seika meant. Lose her friendship or worse...actually physically lose a friend?

Seika stepped away and shook her head, her whole expression fiercely apologetic. As much as she loved her friend, she knew Vienna wouldn't approach the situation well at all. She had a tendency to attempt to shoulder burdens not meant for her shoulders. "Just trust me. Don't follow," she said again as she moved briskly away, leaving Vienna standing there, gaping at her.

After she collected herself a bit. "I don't think so!" she said a hurried after her friend.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 PM

Dunn paced back and forth in his room. He would have to tell Hotaru or Kai. Chess pieces aren't supposed to leave the captial without notifying at least one of the higher ranks. Making his mind up he headed down to the library where Hotaru would be.

As he walked into the Grand Library, he found the queen sitting there reading like usual. He nearly jumped as another set of doors burst open and Seika stormed in, followed by Vienna. Now while Dunn didn't wnat to upset Seika anymore then she already was (upsetting Seika was never good), he knew his information was important. "Your Highness? Mathis just left he set out for Numbers determined to find West," he announced before Seika could say anything.

Hotaru looked up, startled. "What?" she asked.

"Mathis is gone, taken a shuttle to Port Le White," Seika repeated. Dunn looked at the Snow Princess, wondering how she knew that. Vienna had a look of horror on her face.

"Why? That's insane! He'll get killed!" Vienna shouted. Dunn had a grim look on his face.

Hotaru looked at Seika. Vienna and Dunn could almost see the nonexistance silent communication between the two old friends. "Go then Seika. Intercept him and get him back," she ordered.

"I'm going too!" Vienna and Dunn shouted together.

"No," Seika said coldly. "You will both stay here."

"But he's my brother!"
"And my friend!"

"Both of you will not go," Hotaru interrupted, her calm voice ringing with power. "There are rumors that the borders are being partol by Rank 2, The Moon, today. Or in other words Black Angel. Both of you would merely get yourself killed along with Mathis if you went. Seika on the other hand has had experience fighting against Black Angel. She will go and she will go alone."

Vienna fell silence while Dunn open his mouth to protest again. He was cut off as Hotaru continued, addressing her words to Seika. "Bring him back alive Seika." She threw a black marble at Seika.

Seika nodded and caught it with ease. Then in a gust of wind, she disappeared.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Hotaru turned to Vienna and her voice softened as she saw the look on her friend's face. "Don't feel hurt. You know this is the right decision."

"Well, you two have been friends longer," Vienna commented, turning away.

Hotaru sighed. "That's not the reason and you know it. Do you think I want you killed? You're skilled, but I'm not pitting you against Black Angel."

"Thanks for having confidence in me, Majesty," Vienna looked up, her voice dripping with sarcasm and, for the first time, addressing Hotaru formally instead of familiarly. She whirled around and stepped out the door. Dunn shrugged apologetically, completely uncomfortable that he had just witnessed that exchange of words.

Hotaru put her fingers up to the bridge of her nose and squeezed. She didn't need to deal with this right now. She noticed Dunn was still standing there and said, "He'll be fine." Well, maybe not fine, but he'll live.

"I've never not been able to reach him," Dunn said.

"I know."

---

Vienna tore down the hallway, her fists clenched. She had never been so angry in her life. She tore around the corner and bumped right into Russell. "Oh!" she exclaimed. "I'm so sorry!"

The tall, bearded, red-headed man laughed and said, "No worries." He looked at her face and frowned, "What's wrong?"

"What isn't?" Vienna shook her head.

Russell placed his hand on her elbow and guided her toward a private sitting room. "Tell me," he said.

Vienna shook her head, but then changed her mind. "I've never been treated like a subordinate with those two!"

"Who? Seika and Hotaru?"

"I thought I could stand side by side with them and they'd value what I could give."

Russell stroked her arm. "Calm down. Tell me what happened." He listened as Vienna relayed everything she knew, from Mathis's departure to Seika speaking so coldly to her and Hotaru backing her up. After he heard all this, he said, "I'm sure it couldn't be them doubting your abilities, though, could it? It really doesn't make any sense. You're one of the most skilled fighters in Chess," he paused, as if pondering it all. "They obviously just don't want to see you hurt."

"They don't need to protect me!" the young woman exclaimed, fired up now. "Who was I kidding? All this time? I'm not one of them. I've always been the third wheel."

Russell had mixed feelings as he listened to Vienna speak. It had been easy to plant the seed of doubt - he had barely said anything. And while the destruction of Chess would hinge on coming from within - something that seemed to be in motion, he hated to see her so upset. His master wouldn't appreciate his feelings for the people he was setting up, but then again, it was just one person among a kingdom of many. When Chess did fall, he would make sure she was the one who was spared.

"Go to the gardens. Train. Hit something. You'll feel much better when you're done," he said.

"I doubt that."

"Well, if you still don't, then come find me," he smiled and helped her stand. She nodded.

"OK, Russell. Thank you."

"You know I'm always here. You'd never be a third wheel with me. Seeing as how I don't even have a second just now!"

Vienna laughed in spite of her anger and replied, "I'll be your second." She lingered for a brief moment and then walked away.

Russell remained seated, alone in the room. He had a strange look on his face...

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 PM

(Do Mathis and Dunn have a last name? Cause I'll edit my post if they do. xD)

It was slow journey across Port Le White. Mathis had to force the poor fisherman to take him there. He felt guilty but he had no choice. He needed to get to the other side.

"Here we are sir..." the old fisherman muttered. He pulled into the edge of the dock in country of Numbers. The area was dark and covered in a thick blanket of fog. Mathis shivered for a moment before stepping on the dock. As soon as he was off, the fisherman turned his boat around and starting paddling as fast as he could towards Chess.

"Well you're certainty not the one I'm expecting."

Mathis looked further up the dock. Iced blue eyes stared at him coldly, as figure dressed in black walked out of the fog. Her long white hair blowing behind her, and a powerful gun pointed right at him.

Mathis' eyes widen. "Black Angel," he whispered. He had stepped barely three feet into Numbers and have encountered the strongest of the Numbers. "Mathis Stren, Rook. The messenger of Chess. Brother to Dunn Stren," Black calmly said as if she had been reading off a information sheet about him. "You're trepassing on Numbers." She fired one shot, which glazed Mathis' cheek.

'Shit'

----------------

"Now what on earth did the poor tree do to you?"

Vienna stoppped in her fight against the tree. Ita was watching her with a bemused look on his face. "Quiet Ita," Vienna snapped.

"Judging from how angry you are, and seeing how it's rare you get this angry, I'm gonna say Seika or Hotaru... or both, have managed to piss you off," Ita said offhandly.

"Both," Vienna muttered bitterly. She told Ita the same story she had told Russell.

"Ah... I think I understand," Ita finally said once she was finished. "That would be Seika and Hotaru for you. Part of it, is yes. You don't stand a chance against Black Angel. She's in a whole another league to you, Vie. Another part is that Seika and Hotaru have this other plan they're cooking that they won't even tell ME about it. And I'm Seika's fiancee. Kai doesn't have a clue either. So that means it's that dangerous of a plan that they CAN'T tell their husbands (or future husband in my case) and you their best friend."

"Another plan?" Vienna asked.

Ita nodded. "They're going about trying prevent war from breaking out. How exactly they're doing that, hell I'm not even sure. The final reason to why they probably wouldn't let you go, is the same reason why you never notice what they're up to until now. That being you're extremely pure and gentle soul, Vienna. Both Hotaru and Seika have been to Numbers. It's a horrible place with far too many horrors. You grew up here, safe within the captials. You don't see death every day, or have to kill every other person you meet like Seika has. I avoid going to Numbers as much as possible. Seika is the only one willing to brave it in there. Quite frankly, there are only two people Hotaru would send to Numbers the first being Seika, and the second is me. But only because we've both been there more times then anyone has counted. Hotaru refuses, and I mean flat out, hell will freeze over before I agree, refuse to let just anyone go to Numbers. She sooner go -herself- then to let you go," Ita explained.

"You understand now?"

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-23-2007, 09:06 PM

Vienna focused her gaze on one of the lower branches of the tree and extended her hands. The air around the tree shimmered as she manipulated its molecules, slowing their movement way down. Frost formed on the branch, but Vienna kept going, plummeting the temperature of the air until the branch was covered in a thick coating of ice. Vienna snapped her fingers and the branch shattered.

"Do I understand now?" she turned to Ita and crossed her arms. He could tell the answer was no. "Of course I understand."

"When have they ever given you cause to doubt them?"

"Oh I don't know. A lifetime of hearing that there aren't any secrets between the three of us and all of the sudden, you're telling me this? There've been secrets all along." She thought of the secret they asked her to keep and wondered if she hadn't come to them herself, if she wouldn't have been included with all the others who were left unaware. The thought made her all the more angry, despite what Ita had said.

Ita grasped her on each arm and shook her. "Would you grow up?" She gaped at him, her mouth open in surprise. "Seriously now! This whole situation is greater than you or me or anyone else here. You live and breath for your work here. You know sometimes there are things you have to keep from others, from people you care about. So why is it bothering you so much when you know it has to be this way?"

"I don't know! Alright? I don't know!" Vienna yelled at him. "I just want to be mad right now. Just let me!"

"You so need a vacation," he muttered under his breath.

"What was that?" she snapped.

"I said, 'it's for the good of the nation,'" he lied, taking a step back. He pointed at her and said, "Get your anger out now then and we'll get one of the pawns to clean up the mess or something. We can't afford to have dissension among us. If I can take the knowledge that my future wife can't tell me everything, you should be able to take it too." He added, over his shoulder as he started to walk away, "Pride's not a good thing."

----

Meanwhile, on the shores of Numbers, Mathis held up his taserspear and stood in a defensive posture. Black Angel laughed at him and fired another shot. The shot hit its target and Mathis's weapon flew harmlessly out of his hand, landing in the water with a plop. "I'm going to really enjoy this," she said.

Mathis held up both hands, "I'm not here to cause you any harm."

"You cause me harm? The messenger who couldn't harm a fly if he tried?" she scoffed. "But tell me, just to satisfy my own curiosity, why are you here? Deathwish?"

Mathis hesitated. "I'm looking for someone."

"Well, I'm afraid you took a wrong turn. Who is it you're looking for?"

"No one you'd know," he responded.

Black Angel clicked her tongue. "Wrong answer." She brought the gun up again, this time aiming at his head.

"No NO!" he cried. "Don't! Alright! It's an old friend of mine. Her name is West."

Black smiled, "West, is it? You don't want to know what happened to her, little Stren, believe me."

"Let me be the judge of that," he said, his voice full of false bravado, which caused Black to laugh again. She lowered her weapon. She wouldn't need it. And it would be much more fun to do this with her hands...

"Very well then, you'll know what happened to her...firsthand. This is what you came here for. This is what you'll get." She slowly circled the man who began to sweat profusely. He had heard enough about this woman to know that he didn't stand a chance. "It all started on a day not unlike this one. She had gotten herself into a very nasty situation and felt that she needed to come rectify it. But what she didn't know was, there was no going back, no way to fix what she had done."

"What did she do?" Mathis whispered.

Black shook her head. "That's not for me to answer. All I can do is show you what happened to her. How did I begin things...oh yes! Like this." Before Mathis could react, Black reached out and brought her hand down on the side of his neck. Searing pain rushed through his body as he fell to his knees. Black taunted, "Of course, she didn't fall down like you did. Let's see...what happened next?"

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-24-2007, 04:06 AM

"So... I'm gonna take it that Ita has already given you the whole 'Reasons to why you should be mad at Seika and Hotaru' lecture."

Vienna turned around to the new voice. It was a tall man with blue hair and golden eyes. "Kai," she said flatly. What was everyone doing? Try to make sure she didn't get angry at Hotaru and Seika? She didn't need another lecture!

Kai grinned. "Hotaru was worried so she sent me knowing you would just ignore her. But somehow I doubt you need another 'lecture.' And I'm sure you realize that of coures Ita, Seika, Hotaru and yourself all have a valid point in this little argument. For the record Hotaru tells you alot of personal things, like you know about her obsession with apples for example. You realize you're like one of eight people out of the entire kingdom who know that. Or Seika's secret fear of turtles. The reason why I know is because I was there when it happened. You're the first person she's told about that fear. The only time they both usually keeps secrets is when it's important information that can't be revealed due different reasons, say a person's life is in danger or . And with a traitor in our ranks, we have to be even more careful. As they say, united we stand, divided we fall. We're just all trying to deal with this rough times."

"How did you know about the traitor?" asked Vienna. Hotaru said not to tell anyone.

Kai chuckled. "I took a leaf out of my dear wife's book and decided to set up my own little information network with my magic. Now days there are hardly anything that happens in this castle that I don't know about. I just like to pretend that I don't know anything. Don't tell Hotaru though okay? She doesn't know about it yet, and I rather not tell her. Need to keep her out of the loop for her birthday in a few months."

Kai walked away with smile on his face. He turned around and waved at her. "Oh and by the way, keep your arms bend and strike with your weight behind it. Then there's more force in your attack... and try and get Hotaru to tell you what she wants for her birthday too!" he said cheerfully.

-------------

Black felt amused and disgusted at the same time. She enjoyed torturing people like this and she hated it because she didn't use to before. Yet another thing to hate the Numbers for. She snapped on of Mathis' fingers, grinning as the man screamed in pain. "Tut tut, giving in already?" she taunted.

She flung him across the dock, throwing him against a wall of metal cargo cases. Mathis fell the ground, moaning in pain. Seika better hurry up now. Black wasn't gonna be responsible for what happens when her bloodlust kicks in.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-24-2007, 05:48 AM

Black reached Mathis's side and she grabbed his hair, yanking his head up. "Want to know what happened next?" she asked. In truth, she had heard of this West person, but that was it. She hadn't had any personal dealings with her. But it didn't hurt to keep that fact from the puny man she had beaten to a pulp.

Mathis groaned and Black released his hair, causing his head to fall back and hit the ground. She rolled her eyes and stepped away from him, pacing impatiently, waiting for Seika.

Then it happened.

She felt a strange sensation as her legs grew heavier. It was almost as if she were slowing down. She looked where Mathis lay and her vision blurred. She blinked and slowly rubbed her eyes. As her body returned to normal, she realized Mathis had disappeared. She rubbed her hands together, curious about what had just happened. Had Seika come, used some sort of spell on her, and then whisked the man away without another word? That wasn't her style.

This was further verified when she saw the flashing eyes of Seika standing before her. "Where is he, Black?" she asked.

Black raised an eyebrow and looked away, slightly confused. "You didn't take him just now?"

"What are you talking about? I wouldn't be asking you." Seika bent down to the ground and dabbed at it. "How much of his blood did you shed?" she exclaimed.

"Not enough to kill him. But if you're saying you didn't just take him...there was no way he could have just gotten up and walked away. Not with two broken kneecaps."

Seika drew in a breath. She didn't know if she were more flustered by the thought of what the poor young man had been subjected to or the fact that Black was clearly telling the truth and he had truly disappeared. "If I go back without him--"

"--It looks like an act of war," Black finished her thought. "That is, unless you say nothing."

"You know I can't do that."

"If he's still at large, that can be viewed as an act of war on your part, sending a mercenary in."

"Mercenary!" Seika exclaimed. "He's about as harmless as you can get!"

"You know that and I know that. But the Master doesn't. Anyone in your organization, he views as a threat, especially when they come to our shores."

Seika knelt down and shook her head. "And you didn't see where he went?" Black glared at her and she held up her hand. "Alright, alright." She sighed. "How do we explain this then, without everything blowing up around us?" She was so angry at Mathis, she could and would kick him the moment she found him again!

---

One eye opened, but the other was swollen shut. His entire body felt like it was on fire. And yet he was cold...he was lying on a stone floor, his hands bound behind him. Had Black spared his life afterall? Was this a Numbers holding cell? And worse...if it were, was he to be tortured even more?

Mathis tried to speak, but it hurt too much, so he just lay there as a pair of boots came into his field of view. The person walked toward him and stopped, kneeling down in front.

"Well hello there, my friend. Nice of you to finally wake up. Got a bit scraped up now, didn't you? She's a rough one, that Black Angel. We've found it's best to steer clear of her kind."

Mathis looked up with his one good eye and found himself face to face with an unfamiliar man, just a little older than he was. The man was grinning from ear to ear, which Mathis found a little disconcerting. But the man's words did calm him a bit, as he was clearly not on Black's side. But that didn't change the fact that he was still bound and broken.

"I wish I could say everything was working out for you," the man continued, his smile disappearing. "But it's too soon to say. If you cooperate, you'll find yourself among brothers. If you refuse, you're going to wish I had left you with Black. Do you understand?" He flashed a grin once again.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-24-2007, 06:20 AM

Black thought about it. "Well there are always rumors of rebellions happening in Numbers. I could say that you showed up and because you're the bigger threat, I fought against you and the rebels took the boy. If we could shift the blame to them, as heartless as it could be, it might buy us some time. But for now, fight, I don't want someone to be checking up me to find us talking like allies." She shot a bullet at Seika, who blocked it with ease with her katanas.

Seika leap forward. "That still won't be enough. We'll be thrown into war in a matter of days if we never find out where Mathis went." She made a downward slash, causing Black to leap backwards to dodge.

"I think war is unavoidable. We've been pushing those that breaking point for decades now. It's a miracle the peace has lasted this long in the first place!" Black said coldly, ducking under the next attack and kicking Seika in the stomach.

Seika landed on her feet, feeling the blow. "How much time?" she asked. She nicked Black's cheek, the first to draw blood.

"Days or less. I suggest you tell Hotaru that you'll be gone for a few days. If you don't find Mathis in three days, prepare for war. Most of it depends on the Master. He's been looking for a reason to declare war on Chess for years. The boy has handed him one on a silver platter. If I can convince him that boy has potential to become a member or that the rebellion is a bigger problem then we might stand a chance of prevending war on my side. Because Hotaru understands the situation, then I'll leave it to the two of you from stopping Kai from declaring war. Even if it means revealing my involvement to him," replied Black. She wiped away the blood. "Go you get a 'five minute headstart' while I 'report' back to the base." Seika disappeared.

Black took out the private calling to the Master. "Master."

"Did you get rid of the boy?"

"No. Let me explain. The boy claims he looking for the chess member West, who he believes is somewhere in Numbers. Why the boy thinks that, I don't understand. Chess people are strange in the head. Anyways, before I knew it Seika had shown up. Apparently the boy left the captial without telling the Queen and King."

"He was willing to leave Chess without telling them?"

"Yes. While Seika and I were fighting the boy disappeared. I think... there might be another rebellion brewing as well. There is no way the boy could have disappeared, not with two broken kneecaps. He had to have help. Seika didn't have the boy as she left, which makes me think some rebels might be in the area. What would you like me to do? Follow Seika or search for the boy and a possible rebel's base?"

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-24-2007, 09:21 PM

The Master replied, "Search out the rebel bases. If you find the boy, don't kill him, though. Bring him here. Kill the rebels, of course, but I think it'd be much more to our advantage to have a live hostage." He paused, deep in thought. "I want him found. He's one of the twins...the two who can see through each others' eyes and hear through each others' ears. The last think we need is for him to be gathering information and transmitting it back to Chess. But I can think of plenty else for him to transmit. Indeed, one could have fun with this one."

Black said, "That's the odd thing. I detected absolutely no telepathic activity in him, or really any magic at all. It's almost as if he'd completely lost it."

The Master replied, "Interesting...find him, Black, or I'll be quite angry. Seika can wait. No doubt, she's long gone by now. On second thought, spare the leader of the rebels as well. I have a feeling I know who's behind this."

"Understood," Black said, and ended the transmission.

The Master turned to around to the person who was lurking in the corner of his chambers. No inch of skin was visible underneath the white robes, gloves, and hood. A white porcelain mask covered the person's face. The corner of Master's mouth went up in a cruel smile as he looked at the woman no one knew what to call other than her title, The Empress. "Looks like you made quite an impression on someone...West."

---

Mathis choked on the burning liquid being forced down his throat. He was still bound, but had been pulled up and seated again the wall. He coughed and tried to turn his head away, but it hurt too much. He opened his one good eye and realized he couldn't see very well through it...his glasses must have been broken in the fight. They were nowhere to be found now.

The young boy who was trying to feed him said something in a language he didn't understand and threw his hands up in exasperation.

The man who had captured Mathis before knelt down beside him again. "Now now, my friend. Rejecting nourishment is quite rude," he said. His smile didn't seem to match his tone of voice and Mathis wished he could wipe it off his face.

"B-burns..." Mathis managed to get out.

"He speaks!" the man laughed and clapped his hands together. He added, "That means it's doing its job. I can't help with your broken legs, but this'll at least start you on the road to recovery."

The boy leaned in again with another spoonful and Mathis turned his head, causing the boy to spill it on his shirt. "Fahd!" he exclaimed with irritation.

"We must have patience with our new friend, Devlin," Fahd admonished the boy.

"Un-t-tie me?" Mathis asked.

Fahd shrugged. "Why not. You're not going to hurt anyone here and obviously won't be running off anywhere." He stood up and motioned toward another man, who pushed Mathis over in order to get access to his bonds. Mathis grunted in pain. The man muttered an apology in the same strange language the boy had spoken earlier.

"Wh-who--"

"Who are we?" Fahd finished his question for him. He spread his arms wide. "We are known as The Brotherhood. A band of nomads and renegades. I am Fahd and I'll be your host, captor, mentor, brother...it all depends on your level of cooperation."

Mathis shook his head, clearly confused. The boy holding the bowl of food, shoved it into his hands and scampered off, ignoring the look Fahd shot him. The leader of The Brotherhood turned his attention back to his prisoner. "You might be wondering why we chose to save you? We normally don't get involved with the Tarots, but...you're an innate even if you have tried to destroy your little ability." He saw the surprised look on Mathis's face. "Believe me, my friend, what little you know...you're in for an awakening."

He stood up and gestured grandly. "Some people are born innates. Others aren't. Most innates limit themselves in terms of what they can do. But we...we work on tapping into that talent and opening up a host of skills. Telepathic communication...physical manipulation of the elements...truthseeing...healing..."

"Healing?"

Fahd shook his head. "I'm afraid not, my friend," he looked down at Mathis's legs and his swollen fingers. "Not until you prove yourself. We've saved you, we'll feed you, we'll train you, and eventually we may even heal you."

"Asking w-what in re-turn?" Mathis asked.

"Not asking anything," Fahd grinned. "Demanding, rather. Full devotion and a lifetime commitment as our Brother. You forsake your past, your relationships, your life, and you do whatever you're commanded. It will either result in perfect peace and completion or else a lifetime of slavery. It all depends on your attitude. You do realize, of course, there's nothing for you to decide. You are one of us now."

(Sorry it's so long! I'm pulling in bits of my own story in now! lol)

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 AM

Seika was waiting for Black's signal. It came right on time. "You're in luck. You have some time. My current orders are to find the boy and search out the rebel base. I'll contact you if I find anything," said Black. "However, I had to attract the Master's interest in him. So if anyone else finds him before me, you're not going to get him back. Until then, I suggest a disguise so that you don't draw attention to yourself... but you're seen here so often it doesn't really matter."

The communication ended.

Seika let out a sigh of relief. So war has been prevented for now. She took out the stone that would contact her to Hotaru directly. There was alot of explaining to do.

------

Hotaru was waiting for Seika's call. "Well?"

Seika sighed again. "Good news Mathis is alive."

Hotaru's eye brow raised. "And the bad news?"

"The bad news is that someone other then the Tarots have taken him and I don't know where."

Hotaru nearly fell over. She was going to kill Mathis if he made it back home alive. "Find him then. I'll go about trying to prevent war from breaking out."

Seika nodded. "One more thing. In order to prevent war here, the Master has taken... a liking to Mathis. He's loving the fact that he left the capital without telling you. There's a chance that we might not get him back."

Hotaru had a grim look on her face. "Get him back Seika. I don't care how many people's lives you take. Get him back. I'm not about to lose someone to the likes of -him-."

Seika nodded and the connection ended.

Hotaru rubbed her forehead feeling a headache coming. Time to find Kai, Ita, Vienna and Dunn and update them on exactly what was happening. She was not looking forward to this.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-27-2007, 05:13 AM

Vienna couldn't stay angry after speaking with Kai. He had that effect on most people. She felt a smile creep up on her face as she reflected on his own secret and how he used something as silly as a birthday to justify it! Seika and Hotaru were both forever telling her she should find herself someone, but she always dismissed them, saying there was no way she could find someone as great as Kai or Ita. It was an easy excuse, but more and more, she felt it was probably true.

She felt the sensation of someone coming up behind her and she whirled around, thrusting her hands out, delivering a harsh punch to her unknown assailant.

Dunn fell back with an "Oof!" and Vienna immediately exclaimed, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Oh, I didn't meant to...why'd you sneak up on me like that?"

Dunn rubbed the bruise that was now growing on his chest. "Had I known you'd give me that kind of reception, I wouldn't have!" Vienna continued to look chagrinned, but Dunn waved the punch off. "It's not a big deal. Really, Vie. Have you heard anything yet? It's driving me crazy to not be able to speak with him."

"I'd think it'd be nice to have your mind be private for once."

Dunn shook his head. "It's not like you think. You don't feel like someone's always intruding on your thoughts. It's more like...just an extra part of you that someone else happens to share too. But now? I just feel incomplete, not to mention completely useless."

"You're not useless."

"I'm a messenger. I relay by transmitting to the receiver, my brother. I mean, with the communication stones being used more and more, our position was becoming extraneous anyhow, but now, I'm not even good for that. So what use am I here?"

Vienna shrugged. As much as she hated to admit it, he had a point. "Seika will find him. And if it takes a little while, we'll find something else for you to do in the meantime."

"Like what?" he challenged.

She didn't have an answer and luckily didn't need one, for at that moment, felt the own stone she wore on a silver chain around her neck, trembling, and knew. "She's back! Dunn, come on!" She grabbed the young man's hand and pulled him as she raced to Hotaru's chambers, eager to hear what was going on.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 AM

Hotaru considered jumping out the window the moment Vienna and Dunn bursted into her room with excited faces. Right after them, Kai and Ita appeared so she knew that wasn't an option knowing her husband would NOT like it if she tried to jump out the window. Oh why did she have to be the bearer of bad news?

"Where's Mathis," asked Dunn. He didn't see Seika or his brother anywhere. Hotaru was the best healer in the castle and if Mathis was hurt (which was a good chance), he would be here. His heart dropped, what did it mean then?

Hotaru sighed. "As the four of you know, Mathis has gone missing. Seika set out after him. There is good news and bad news."

Kai frowned. He knew where Hotaru was going with this. The sign that Seika wasn't in room, was more then enough. He glanced at Ita who had an unreadable expression on his face. He took it his friend was seeing it too... and not liking it.

"The good news is that Mathis is alive. He had a run in with Black, but he's alive. The bad news," Hotaru paused. "The bad news is that he was taken by someone else other then that Tarots and Seika doesn't have a clue to where he is."

"What?" Vienna asked, her voice ringing with shock. "How can she not know where he is?"

Hotaru sighed again. This time looking at Ita. He looked angry. Could she blame him? Of course not. His future wife was in a dangerous country by herself. Reguardless of how much he believed in her, she knew he didn't want her even near that country. "She was fighting against Black and they took him when both of them were distracted. Seika is searching for him now."

"How do we know the Tarots didn't take him," Dunn questioned.

"Because Black believed that Seika took him. Seika saw no reason to give her the impression otherwise and left in order to search for him on her own," said Hotaru.

Kai frowned. Something was not matching up. He would have a word with his wife after everyone left.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 AM

"How did he look?" Dunn asked. "Was he hurt badly?"

Hotaru shook her head. "I don't know the extent of his injuries," she lied. Seika had told her about his broken kneecaps, but Dunn already looked very vulnerable and on the edge with worry. She didn't want to burden him with more. She smiled, "But he's not with the tarots and that's good. In fact, you don't need to worry near as much because of that very fact."

"But without knowing who took him--"

Hotaru cut him off. "You know that the people who would torture and kill him do not have him. Let Seika handle the rest. She can and will get him back. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they were back by tomorrow."

Dunn stared at her, but her face was impassive, so he simply nodded and swallowed what she told him. "OK," he said. "But in the meantime...what can I do?"

"What can you do?" she repeated.

"Yeah. I'm obviously unable to be any help. I want to do something."

Hotaru didn't have any more of an answer than Vienna did. In truth, the twins weren't all that useful, but she'd known them since they were young. Mathis was too moody and Dunn too friendly, to disappoint either of them by telling them they weren't really needed. She opened her mouth and said, "Ah...I'm sure I have some...Vie, do you--" Vienna shook her head quietly. "Perhaps Kai--" Kai gave her a look. "I...ah...the young pawns could use some instruction!" she snapped her fingers.

"Instruction?"

"Communicative strategies. I've been wanting to add that to their curriculum."

"What would that involve?" Dunn raised his eyebrow.

"Let me get everything together and I'll send it your way, alright?"

"OK," Dunn nodded, a smile once more gracing his features. He nodded and retreated out of the room, once more feeling like he had purpose, though he was still worried for his brother. Still, he had something to occupy his mind at least.

"Communicative strategies?" Kai asked, an amused look on his face.

Hotaru said, "It was the best I could come up with on the fly."

"And his new curriculum?"

"I'll figure it out!"

Kai smiled at his wife. That was one reason he loved her so much. But he still needed to question her about something. Only, Vienna and Ita remained in the room.

"I'm not as gullible as Dunn," the young woman said. "I know it's not necessarily a good thing that the tarots don't have him."

"Dunn's more innocent than most," Hotaru said.

"But he should still be treated like a man, not a child," Vienna replied and then nodded before taking her leave.

Hotaru sighed. "She's still angry."

"She'll cool off," Kai said, putting his hand on his wife's shoulder as she turned her attention toward Ita.

----

Vienna walked back to her room and was startled to see Russell waiting in the sitting area. "Russell!"

"Question for you," he said. "What would you say if I told you there was a way for you to go into Numbers?"

Vienna shook her head. "Hotaru wouldn't allow it."

"What if you were able to go in and come out without her being the wiser and at low risk to you?"

Vienna laughed. "You can take me there?"

"I might be able to," he answered enigmatically.

"And what would that solve?"

"It'd allow you to get a look around, see if you can find any information on Mathis's whereabouts, and you at least wouldn't feel so restless."

"You hate Mathis. Why would you do that?" she asked.

"Because some things are more important than what I feel. What do you say?"

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 AM

"You're angry," Hotaru stated to Ita.

Ita stared at her. "I should be. My future wife and cousin are currently both in Numbers and my other cousin is worried sick. I know full well that you're keeping something from me... both you and Seika. That's fine. But I expect an explanation about this as soon as she comes back."

Hotaru smiled weakly at him. Like Kai, there was little that could be hidden from Ita. She reflected how fast they had to grown up in this world and shoulder responsiblies far greater then one should be forced to handle. She was only 24, and already she had been ruling a country for six years and have killed more people then she would like to remember. Most of the people in Chess grew up seeming naive to the realization that war was just a delicate step away. Perhaps that is why Vienna was having such a hard time coming to terms with this. But Ita, Seika, Kai, and herself, it had always been such a burden knowing and understanding that fact since they were children. "So... I shouldn't be surprised if I find out you've gone after her then," she said weakly.

Ita grinned at her. "Damn right Hotaru. I'm certainly not going to leave her there alone. I assume Kai is gonna have a long talk with you now, just like I'm gonna have a long talk with Seika when I bring her back, so I'll take my leave." Ita walked out of the room.

As soon as he was gone, Kai caused a silencing spell around the room. No one would be able to overhear them. He study his wife. "Alright Hotaru, spill. I already know about the traitor but I know there is more to this little plan then you let on," he said softly.

Hotaru rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm tired Kai. Of arguing and fighting and tip toeing around. But what else am I supposed to do?"

Kai stroked her hair. "You come to me for help, of course. Silly. You're stretching yourself thin like always, taking on a burden that is far to heavy to carry by yourself. Remember what they taught us when we were kids? United we stand, divided we fall."

Hotaru sighed, her eyes feeling very heavy. Was there any point in hiding it from Kai anymore? And most likely Seika will end up telling Ita. Vienna could be told... some things tomorrow. "We think... Russell is traitor. It's possible that West is still alive but in Numbers. Black Angel is slowly becoming our ally and she is sending one her own men here to flush out the traitor," she said softly as sleep threaten to claim her.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 PM

Russell watched as Vienna let down her hair from the pins that held it. Her long straight black tresses fell down to her knees. She brushed it out and gathered it all in one hand. She took the pair of scissors lying on the countertop and hesitated. "I don't know if I can do this," she said, and in fact, there was part of Russell who didn't want her to either.

"That's one of the things you're known by over there. Even when you have it all pinned up, they recognize you as the one with such long, black hair."

"How do you know all this?" she asked.

"I make it my business to know," he replied. "A good truthseer finds the truths others don't see."

"I've never cut it before."

"I know," he replied quietly. "If you want to change your mind..."

"No," Vienna shook her head. "I'm not going to change my mind. This is just...tough."

Russell's eyes bored into the back of her neck as she pulled the hair over one shoulder and began to snip it off shortly below the chin. Already, there was such a drastic change in her appearance. The disguise on her bed would make her virtually unrecognizable. He knew she was wondering how she'd explain her haircut to Hotaru when they returned. But what she didn't know was the fact that they weren't returning.

There had been a dozen little hints that his time here was up. With every passing hour, he felt the suspicion growing around the castle. His master had instructed him to go ahead and return when ready. It seemed the pieces were all falling into place. The abduction of one of Hotaru's and Seika's dearest friends would cement it all. War would be inevitible after this day. Of course, she wouldn't realize she was being abducted. She trusted him implicitly.

*snip*

The last bit of hair fell to the floor. Vienna knelt down and gathered it up, lovingly. Holding it in her right hand, she turned around and Russell gasped at how different she looked. She had tears in her eyes, but she tried to be strong. "How do I look?" she asked, her voice shaky, and Russell shook his head in wonder.

"Wow."

"That bad?"

"Oh no," he exclaimed. "Just...very different! You look as beautiful as always."

"Thanks," she laughed, but Russell truthread that she didn't agree with him at all. She folded the long locks of hair up and set them down in the waste basket, turning toward the outfit he had secured for her. She grabbed it up and retreated into the next room, emerging a few minutes later an entirely different person. She held up the travelers pass he had put in the pocket. If she were stopped by anyone, they'd find her name was Malia Barro and that she were from the Numbers southernmost port city of Meritage.

Russell was already dressed and he had dyed his red hair black to match hers and he had shaved off his goatee. He held up his traveling pass as well. Soren Barro. Her brother. He handed her a vial of small amber liquid that he told her would help mask her magic, making her even harder to detect by the tarots. What he didn't tell her was that it would suppress it. She unscrewed the top and drank it down. It was warm and bubbly and not entirely unpleasant.

Now they were ready. Russell held the transport stone and took her hand, giving it a squeeze. "Say goodbye," he smiled at her and she smiled back.

And then they were gone.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM

"What?!" Kai nearly shouted louder then he wanted. "When?" he questioned.

"When what? When we figured out that Russell might be the traitor? A week ago. I've suspected West has been alive for awhile, I haven't Seika yet because it's just a mere guess based on my own magic. I found out today that Black was sending one of her men here to help us, and Black has sorta been our ally for years," Hotaru mumbled.

"Sorta?" The most shocking piece of information was that Black had been their ally. The second most powerful person in all of Numbers their ally? It was nearly impossible to imagine.

"She's confused... I think. She does terrible things, but her words and the look in her eyes, they always say she doesn't want to do them. It's like her head tells one thing and her heart tells her another. Probably due whatever -he- put her through," Hotaru hissed. "The reason why we knew about Mathis so fast was because she informed us. If not, Mathis would have been dead by now."

Kai nodded. Well if this was what Hotaru and Seika have been keeping from Vienna, then he could see why. It was shocking... and highly confidental. He suspected that war would be coming no matter how hard they try to stop it. Hotaru knew it too, it would be the only reason why she was telling him.

He looked out the window to see Kyo, Riku and Chi, still playing out in the gardens. Peace would be shattered. "I'll keep a closer eye on Russell then. You get some sleep. You're exhausted. And then you have to make those lesson plans for Dunn," Kai said with a bit of cheer in his last sentence.

Hotaru smiled at him. "I know."

----------------

White Angel sat on the hill that over lookd the city of Meritage. She was told to wait here by the Master for a very important person with a very important package.

She brushed back her black hair, her pale blue eyes grinning with delight. war was coming, she just knew it.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM

Vienna hated traveling by transport stone. It was so disorienting. She didn't know how the others who did it quite often could take it. But once the world around her stopped spinning and she felt Russell's strong hand steadying her, she was ok. She looked up and saw that Meritage wasn't all that different from Port Le White except it seemed darker here, more ominous. She decided it was just the clouds, the fact that it was nearing dark, and her nerves were on edge.

"Are you ok?" Russell asked.

"Yes," she replied, reaching up and running her fingers through her chin length hair. It still felt so strange.

"Good," he smiled warmly. "Welcome to Numbers." He pointed to where the local fishermen were preparing to cast off. "See? Just like the ones back home, right?" And Vienna nodded. He continued to speak. "I think the first thing we should do is find the Dock Pavilion. We might as well get a headstart tonight."

"Why?" She felt uneasy, despite Russell's encouraging smile.

"Because we can check the registries of any ships that have come in and out. That's the only way he would have made it over here. He doesn't have access to transport stones and even if he did, I doubt he'd be able to figure out how to use them." He noted Vienna's frown and said, "I'm sorry. I didn't meant it like that."

"Yes, you did. And it's ok. You don't have to pretend to like him. Where's the Pavilion?"

Russell pointed toward a small building near the grassy hillside. There didn't appear to be anyone milling about, so he grabbed her hand and the two walked toward it. As they neared the building, Vienna saw a girl with dark hair. She smiled at the two and waved and Vienna looked at Russell with a questioning glance, but he didn't seem bothered, so she followed his suit and waved back. "Who is that?" she whispered.

"Probably just the daughter of one of the fishermen killing time til her father returns. It's a pretty common sight in port cities like this. I grew up in one myself."

"Really? Where?" Vienna asked, but Russell didn't answer her. Instead he led her to the girl. "What are we doing?"

"We might as well see if we can get any information out of her since she seems friendly enough," he lied and Vienna nodded, her trust him in never wavering. "Hello!" he called out to the girl and she approached the pair.

"Why, hello there," she said, her smile widening. "Right on schedule."

"What?" Vienna whirled around to look at Russell. "What's going on?"

"I'll explain in a minute." He reached down in his pocket and pulled out a red stone. "Here's everything. Everything I observed, recorded, everything!" He dropped the stone in the girl's hand and she immediately pocketed it. "Now, you'll take us to the safe house, White?"

"You can go where you please," the girl shrugged. "It doesn't matter to me. And Master can contact you anywhere. But as for her, she's part of the package I'm here to retrieve," she turned her attention to Vienna. "I almost didn't recognize her. Not a bad disguise at all, though a bit extreme, if you ask me," she reached out and touched Vienna's hair and the chesspiece pulled away. White moved too quickly, though, and grabbed Vienna's wrist.

"That wasn't the bargain!" Russell said. "I was simply to bring the information. And then we were to be taken to a safe house where she'd be kept out of all this." He turned to Vienna, "You have to believe me, I'd never harm you. I did this to protect you. War is coming to Chess and you'd be on the front lines if there was an attack there. Here, we'd be safe."

"You're the traitor?" she said in disbelief.

White piped in, "That, he is, chesspiece. And it looks like he just started a war." Vienna tried to pull away, but White's grip was tight. She drew on her abilities in an attempt to freeze the air around the woman, but the only result was her waving her fingers around harmlessly. White laughed. "He gave you a little of the bubbly, didn't he? Before you came here. Men! You can't trust them!"

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 PM

White smiled brightly, light poured out her hands, wrapping tightly around Vienna. "Don't worry we won't hurt you yet. A hostage is always well appreciated here," she purred. "I'm not as cruel as my sister is, only when you anger me." She pulled out another transportation stone and disappeared with Vienna. Russell stared in disbelieve. He would contact the Master and figure things out. He wanted Vienna back!

----------------

Tsu pace back and forth in the hopsital room. She had her orders to go and prepare for war, but she didn't feel like obeying them. Aya had another attack, the disease raving through her body. Tsu knew she wasn't fooling anyone by saying she wasn't worried, when she knew her sister would not survive this attack. War on chess was about to start and Aya's final moments were drawing to a close. It was almost too good of a concidence. A firm look in her eyes appeared. Her decision was made.

---------------

Hotaru had settled comfortably in Kai's arms, sleep already numbing most of her mind. Something though was stopping her. A missing piece, something she over looked.

Foresight she concluded was a b*tch to deal with as she felt the visions start to form. Her eyes snapped open, startling Kai as she sat up straight. "Vienna!"

Kai tried to calm his wife down but it looked like she was about to kill someone. "They took her! Kai we have to find Vienna. Russell, I think he took her!"

--------------

Black was a mere three feet away from where Seika was standing. Not too close yet not to far. Seika had tracked the magic to somewhere in this area and Black was using her shadows to find the hideout. The sooner Mathis was returned the better. But she still couldn't get rid of this dreadful feeling that something terrible was going to happen.

'Have you found the hideout yet?' The Master's voice rang from the communication stone.

'Almost.' She answered.

'Then return as soon as possible to the base. We're going to war tomorrow.'

Black's eyes widen. 'Shit' she thought. This was not good.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM

"We had an agreement, Master!" Russell shouted. He didn't care who heard him at that moment. "You didn't say she'd be part of the package."

Master kept calm, though his first impulse was to kill the man who dared speak to him in such a manner. "Think back to the conversation, Tower," he said, calling him by his Numbers rank. "Let me remind you..."

"...Bring the girl then."

"OK. So we'll return and I'll give you everything from Chess that I have and then go to the safe house."

"Exactly."

"Good, good! She'll be safer over there then..."

"Now what did you agree to?" Master asked. "You would give me everything from Chess that you had. And so you did."

"But I didn't mean her!" Russell argued. "She's a person, not a possession!"

"She fell into the category of 'everything,'" Master said, growing increasingly irritated as the minutes passed. "It bothers me, Tower. It bothers me how you're showing greater loyalty to a chesspiece than your own Master. How do I normally deal with those who show mixed loyalties?"

Russell drew in a sharp breath and didn't answer.

"You're walking a fine line and I suggest you watch what you say. The chesspiece is now in custody. She's no longer your concern. We have proof of infiltration now. Your work is over."

"Meaning?" Russell demanded.

"Meaning you'll stand down until you're given further orders and if you question me again, I guarantee you won't live to see tomorrow." With that, he ended the transmission.

With a yell of rage, Russell threw the communication stone with all his might.

----

Master turned to the Empress and said, "Arrange a meeting between our friend, the Tower, and Justice. Anyone who's so willing to betray his 'friends' should indeed be judged." His eye wandered to Vienna, who had just been handed to him by White. "Take her down," he said to White. "Make sure she ingests more suppressor. I don't want this one to escape. I'll see to her later."

White whispered, "You're lucky so far," as she pulled Vienna out of Master's chambers.

----

Fahd stared out into the night. His new charge lay in a bed now rather than a stone floor and was sleeping peacefully. It hadn't taken much to get him to agree to the life oath and Fahd took pity on him and healed him a little. Mathis still couldn't walk - he was still in poor shape. Fahd wasn't so trusting that he'd heal him outright only to see him walk out from under their noses. But at least he wouldn't keep the rest of them up tonight, moaning from pain.

He closed his eyes and began to sense and then stopped abruptly. Shadows! He mouthed a warding chant and then closed the window. He began to wake his brothers, including Mathis. "It's time to move." No one questioned him. They had been through this numerous times before.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM

'Found you,' Black thought. Seika had already begun to move. The air crackled and began to drop in temperature. Icicles started to form on the trees. Leafs froze and shattered into pieces.

Black retreated to a saver areas. She had to be impressed. Never before had Seika used her magic near her. In fact the Snow Princess seem to avoid using magic all together. Seeing her do this, Black realized why. Snow magic was very tricky and it was a wide range attack. Going against up her with an army would only result in death of every soldier within her attack range of twenty feet. She pitied which ever one of the Tarots had to fight Seika.

Yelps and screams filled the air, signalling to to Seika and Black and they had caught some people at least. Hopefully one of them was Mathis. Seika took off those the house, drawing out her katanas, Black Angel watching from the distance. She would take the rebel leader after Seika had taken Mathis.

She still needed to inform Seika of that Master were planning.

--------

Hotaru was reaching her breaking point. She could't find Vienna or Russell anywhere and she feared her vision had already come to pass. She paced back and forth, all attempts from Kai to calm her down were ignored. What to do? If Vienna was indeed in the Heart of Numbers, nothing short of declaring war would get her back. But she couldn't just leave her friend there.

--------

Ita was halfway through Chess when he decided to stop in a town for the evening. On his way into an inn, he bumped into a man with brown hair. "Sorry," Ita muttered.

The man stared at him. "You're..."

Ita nearly cursed, covered the man's mouth and dragged him into a darker alley way. He didn't need someone to go telling the entire village that he was he where. Ita let go of the man.

"Who are you?"

The man scratched his head sheepishly. "Asho, I'm Asho. You're Ita right, the Flame Prince, Knight of Chess?"

Ita stared at him. The man looked harmless enough, but appearance would be decieving. "And what it to you?"

"I'm looking for your fiancee...Seika."

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 AM

Seika stepped into the Brotherhood's den, past a few bodies that were frozen solid. She hated doing what she did, but it was necessary, so she turned away, careful not to look into any of the bodies' faces. She did take note that all were male, many of them seemed very young. She heard a noise and raced toward it, cornering the young boy.

Devlin whimpered when he saw her katanas and started babbling in his native tongue.

"I'm looking for a man with short dark hair and glasses. He would have been severely injured. Is he here?" she demanded, but Devlin shook his head, not understanding. She recognized his language as that of the Borrans, a province far to the North of the Numbers kingdom. He's so young to be so far from home, she thought and switched to his language and repeated her statement.

"H-he was here, but Brother Fahd and the others took him."

"Where?"

Devlin grew a defiant look in his eyes and shook his head. "I'll never tell the likes of you!" He yelped when she brought the katanas closer to his neck.

"Say again?" she challenged him, her tone dangerous.

The boy began to cry. "I don't know," he wailed. "I was so tired, I couldn't get up and it's understood that if you don't get up, you get left behind and have to figure out how to meet up with them again. We never know where the next destination will be. Only Fahd does."

"Who's Fahd?"

"Our teacher. He rescued that man from the Tarots."

"How did he do that?" Seika demanded.

"He manipulated time. He slowed it down just enough to grab the man and carry him off." When he saw Seika's eyebrows raise in surprise, he added, "It's not hard. We all can to an extent. It's one of the first abilities innates can unlock. You're an innate too, aren't you? Fahd could teach you how too...if you weren't a woman, that is. Women aren't allowed in the Brotherhood.

Seika stepped back and relaxed her grip on her weapon, but groaned. They had been so close! She wondered if Black had possibly been able to catch any of them on the way out. She didn't like the idea of this Fahd guy and his training of "innates." If the boy spoke truth and they could all unlock abilities, there was no telling what this man could do, especially if he raised up an army of men with the same talents. She decided to send this kid back to Chess for questioning about Fahd and the Brotherhood.

She turned back to him, and gently pulled out a stone. "I apologize for frightening you."

"You didn't frighten me," the boy said. "Not at all."

"Right," Seika nodded, noting his cheeks were still streaked with his tears. "Then let me apologize for this."

"What?" Devlin asked as Seika took his hand and pressed a stone in his palm. She closed his fingers around it and in seconds, he had vanished.

She poked around the hideout, but couldn't see anything that readily told of their whereabouts.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 AM

Before Seika could storm out of the hideout, her communication with Black rang again. "Did you find him?" Black asked.

"No."

"Hmmm I didn't think so. My shadows have caught their trail again. They're at the edge of the forest. We need to get him back soon. The Master is moving forward with his plans."

Seika didn't have a chance to ask what she meant by that before Black ended the communication. Everything was just spiraling out of control. All she wanted was Mathis back. Was that too much to ask? She left the hideout to caught up with Black.

-----------

Fahd sense the shadows again seconds before he came face to face with Black. Mathis, still in pain, stared in shock at the person who had hurt him a mere few hours before.

In the distance the sun was beginning to set, letting the shadows to grow longer. Shadows shot out of the ground wrapping themselves around Mathis and other members of the Brotherhood. Black pointed her gun barrel at Fahd's head. "I want the boy," she said coldly. "And you're under arrest for suspicision of rebellion. And I'll pull this trigger faster then you can cast your little trick."

----------

"You're looking for Seika?" asked Ita.

Asho nodded. Black didn't really tell him his cover story. "Yeah. I dunno. My friend told me she needed to go meet Seika for something, but she kinda forgot to tell me what. I've never left my hometown before, so I got a little lost on my way to the captial," he lied.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 AM

Fahd spread his arms as well as the smile on his face. Mathis grew cold with fear, but Fahd acted as if the situation was quite amusing. "Suspicion of rebellion, my sister? Who's suspicious, may I ask?"

"No, you may not," she said. She felt something tickling at her mind and her scowl deepened as Fahd's smile grew. "I wouldn't do that if I were you," she warned him.

"But you aren't me," he responded.

"Fahd," Mathis said. "You saw what she did to me. Don't!"

Fahd ignored him. "You're confused," he stated to the woman.

"And you're foolish," Black responded. "One more word..."

"And what? You'll pull the trigger?"

A shot rang out and Fahd slumped to the ground. Mathis stared in horror and Black rolled her eyes. "Oh stop. He's not dead. He might wish for that tomorrow, though." But she knew that wasn't true. His manner was unnerving, the way he had shown absolutely no fear to the point of even attempting to truthsee her? She was furious about that in particular.

---

Deep in the heart of Numbers, far below the surface of the ground, and well secured and guarded, Vienna was groggy beyond anything she could imagine. The room was blurry and her head pounded. She saw shapes moving in and out of her field of view, but she couldn't make out what they were. She remembered feeling a hand on the back of her head and knew she had spoken, but couldn't remember what the words were. Finally, her eyes grew too heavy and she succumbed to sleep.

---

Everyone who lived in Chess, who had access to transmission panels and stones received a message that night.

"I, Vienna Tetrault, Rook of the Kingdom of Chess, hereby admit to attempting to infiltrate the Kingdom of Numbers with the intent to assassinate. I've been captured and because of my admission of guilt, this has been seen as an act of war on behalf of Chess and Numbers is reacting as they rightfully should, in every attempt to defend their nation."

Hotaru paled as the transmission filled her room. "That wasn't her speaking!"

"It was, though," Kai said. "It was definitely her, despite the hair."

"I'm not talking about the hair!" Hotaru snapped. "The words, her voice...she would never make a declaration like that on her own. She's definitely there, but those words were put in her mouth." She clutched her arms tightly. "We're at war!" she whispered. And there's nothing I can do for my friend. She knew the security was too strong. Nothing short of destroying the Master would see her friend safely back where she belonged.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 AM

Black glanced at the still body of Fahd. She really should just kill the man and be done with it. Still orders were orders and this would be the last one she would be following.

Right on cue, Seika's snow attack came raging at her. Black leap backwards, out of the range of attack. Seika grabbed Mathis free from her shadow trap and disappeared back into the shadows of the forest. Black signed and picked up the note that Seika had left behind. The Snow Princess was as flashy as ever.

-He- has Vienna. Help her... please?

The paper bursted into flames and disappeared into her shadows. Black lowered her vision to the ground, thinking about everything. Fahd was right, she was confused... but it was time to make a choice. War was here and she could no longer play both sides. Still, the man infuriated her, he would at least suffer a few days in the hands of the Tarots. Only a few more hours until her plan could come to life.

She took Fahd and returned to base.

-------------

"Seika!" Mathis exclaimed in shock.

They had reached a nice clearing, far away from where Black and Fahd was. Before Mathis could say anything else, Seika slapped him across the face. "You idiot," she whispered, pulling him into a hug. "Do you have any idea how worried everyone is? Dunn is worried beyond belief, Ita's a mess and Vienna and Hotaru are pacing back and forth. What in name of stars above, made you decide to come HERE of all places?"

She dare not think what would have happened had Black not been one to find him. If it was any of the other Tarots... Mathis wouldn't be standing here. Mathis opened his mouth to apologize. "No, not another word," Seika cut him off. "Let's get out of here first, then apologize... though I'm not the one you're going to need to apologize to. Four people are going through hell because of what you did, and they're the ones you're going to apologize to." Mathis didn't get a chance to ask who before they were wisked away by the teleportation stone.