XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX
Forever Questioning the Unknown

Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenroseheart View Post
lol, I will the day I am stateside again ^_^ South Korea doesn't have those stores X_X And trust me, I will be back in America someday. They don't have my size of clothing here o_O
Oooo, wow, Milanoo.com? Perhaps ebay or Amazon :D

maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM

amazon is an option and yes, I plan to use it someday... soon... when I can stop blowing my paycheck... actually I don't really blow it... just have school loans and medical stuff I have had to cover lately... and before that is was online classes... and before that it was visiting home ^_^

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX

Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
amazon is an option and yes, I plan to use it someday... soon... when I can stop blowing my paycheck... actually I don't really blow it... just have school loans and medical stuff I have had to cover lately... and before that is was online classes... and before that it was visiting home ^_^
So how is Korea?

maidenroseheart

Old 04-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Pretty amazing. I really like it here. There are some stuff I had to get used to like the food, bowing, and taking your shoes off everywhere. Other things like the transportation system, English everywhere, and the eagerness people have to practice their English with you blows my mind. And I love my students, though not my classes ~_~

The food is a bit different. For the most part, it is super spicy. If it is red, then it will be too hot for me to eat. But then there is stuff that is sweet. Like speghetti sauce and garlic bread. That just blew my mind and too a long time to adjust to. Then things you think would be sweet are not that sweet at all... like their idea of cheese cake or cookies. Then there are the soups. If it isn't spicy, it is because it is super salty. But vegetables and rice have no salt at all. So different. I will admit, I sometimes just can't eat in the cafe... I have to go deal with my own cooking which is slightly more appetizing ^_^

Here is it customary to bow to others, particularly if someone is either older or higher on the social ladder than you. At stores, the welcoming committee (or greeters) all bow when you enter their store. If you hand someone something or accept something, you use both hands OR you can accept with your right hand with your left under your right elbow. The latter is more common. There are a few who like to shake hands but it is rare.

If you go to a home, dormitory, doctor's office, or the principle's office... you take your shoes off. Usually there are inside slippers that you can wear. That way you are not barefoot. You know, it keeps places cleaner.

I love the transportation system here. I can literally go anywhere in the country I want. There is trains, subways, buses, and taxis. The cheapest is buses. I am fond of it and am glad I don't have to drive. Their driving here is crazy. A three lane road will have four cars side by side... and people making tight turns or changing lanes with little warning... and they speed. There are signs and the GPS systems tell you where the speed traps are. That way you can slow down for those... once your past you just speed up again. And taxis, buses, and such run red lights.

Thankfully more and more businesses and public places are having English added to their signs. It makes it easier, especially if you have to go to the bathroom really bad. The restaurants often have English menus or picture cards for foreigners. In the US, so many get upset when Spanish appear on signs, but after being here I totally understand how helpful it is.

I have people randomly saying hi and asking how I am doing whether I am walking down the street or on a bus. They like to use their English and it is considered a high priority here to learn. So much so that the government gives schools extra money for teaching it.

In summary... Korea is super friendly as long as you are nice back.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM

I want to go to korea so badly, what is the biggest town closest to you?

maidenroseheart

Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Daegu. It is a pretty large place. Seoul is the biggest. Busan is the favorite for foreigners.

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX

Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 PM

I couldn't finish what you wrote, I got to the food part and started drooling XD

maidenroseheart

Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM

lol, the food part is a favorite ^_^

Traditional meal is like this. You sit on a cushion on the floor at a low table. There are wonderful side dishes sprawling across the entire table with vegetables, gourmet meats, and sauces. There is a small rice bowl for each person along with a small plate (like a tea saucer without the dip) and a cup of water.

The entree is either a large dish with yummy food... or it is made in front of you by a hostess or yourself. A lot of tables come equipted with burners in the middle for fried, boiled, etc main entrees. So yummy!!!

You enjoy by digging in with your chopsticks. Take what you want and either it it or move it to your plate and then eat it.

Dessert is normally a sweet drink like tea, a fruit, or some small dainty thing ^_^

Oh so yummy!

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX

Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
lol, the food part is a favorite ^_^

Traditional meal is like this. You sit on a cushion on the floor at a low table. There are wonderful side dishes sprawling across the entire table with vegetables, gourmet meats, and sauces. There is a small rice bowl for each person along with a small plate (like a tea saucer without the dip) and a cup of water.

The entree is either a large dish with yummy food... or it is made in front of you by a hostess or yourself. A lot of tables come equipted with burners in the middle for fried, boiled, etc main entrees. So yummy!!!

You enjoy by digging in with your chopsticks. Take what you want and either it it or move it to your plate and then eat it.

Dessert is normally a sweet drink like tea, a fruit, or some small dainty thing ^_^

Oh so yummy!
*drool* I'm going to go grab something now..

maidenroseheart

Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 PM

lol, your really hungry now aren't you ^_^ I really want some myself... the cafe food isn't quite so tasty ~_~

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX

Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
lol, your really hungry now aren't you ^_^ I really want some myself... the cafe food isn't quite so tasty ~_~
Is there any amusement parks there? Lol.

maidenroseheart

Old 04-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Sure are, though I haven't been to any yet. Just got here late last fall so haven't been many places yet. Planning on going to the DMZ soon though ^_^

Dottie Mae Evans
*~It's all good~*

Old 04-13-2012, 02:39 PM

@maidenroseheart- Wow... South Korea sounds like a place I would like to visit once I get use to their customs and comply to their social norms. Or else I would end up being dislike by Koreans. :( I already think they don't like me... :cry: Maybe it's just me. lol Seriously though, if I go inside somewhere in Korea... would they have slippers in my size? I have big feet for a woman (a size 12). I don't think Koreans have big feet in general. I know in Japan, I couldn't get the shoes I want because they don't have them in either a men's size or a woman's size. >_<;

Oh well, I guess I have to invest in my own personal pair of slippers if I go to Japan or South Korea. :S

maidenroseheart

Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 PM

I wear size 11 and yes, it is hard to find my size. Slippers are the only shoe I can find. Thankfully though, slippers are made in such a way that you really don't notice if it is too small... I could stand all day in them and my feet won't hurt. Which says something since my feet usually hurt after 45 minutes.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Maiden you sound like me >.>'

maidenroseheart

Old 04-13-2012, 03:09 PM

lol, we are pretty similar aren't we ^_^ I knew there were more people like me out there somewhere in this large (or rather small) world

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Yeah, except i wear a 11 1/2 and 11 and it is hard to find my shoes, not to mention I am tall so if i wear high heels i am like half a foot taller then him

maidenroseheart

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM

I'm tall too. Shoes here are impossible to find in our size... but slipper can, on rare occasions, be found. You would want 270 or 280 size. And only the bigger stores have a hope of having them... that or getting ones that students wear which can be found in schools near large stores.

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX

Old 04-14-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I'm tall too. Shoes here are impossible to find in our size... but slipper can, on rare occasions, be found. You would want 270 or 280 size. And only the bigger stores have a hope of having them... that or getting ones that students wear which can be found in schools near large stores.
Tall big-footed people, oh my. Lol. I'm a pipsqueak..

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 AM

I wish i was smaller! I am almost 6 foot... if I went to another country such as korea or china I would be that tall girl >.<'

maidenroseheart

Old 04-14-2012, 04:27 AM

The Korean girls all wish to be as tall as us. I told them that in America, the boys all want small girls. So I was out of luck. I then added that in Korea the boys all want thin girls. So I was STILL out of luck. The Korean I was talking too was happy because she qualified in both places ~_~

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX

Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
The Korean girls all wish to be as tall as us. I told them that in America, the boys all want small girls. So I was out of luck. I then added that in Korea the boys all want thin girls. So I was STILL out of luck. The Korean I was talking too was happy because she qualified in both places ~_~
Daww :( *hugs* I've been small my whole life and I hate it :P I can't reach the top shelf, so I have to climb on the cabinets. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertdesiert View Post
I wish i was smaller! I am almost 6 foot... if I went to another country such as korea or china I would be that tall girl >.<'
We could always amputate part of your legs and you could give it to me. lol

maidenroseheart

Old 04-14-2012, 04:32 AM

Wow, that actually sounds like fun. The climbing on cabinets part ^_^ I did that when I was younger and the new view of life from there was pretty impressive to me. As for amputating... want my extra weight too?

XxA_Wistful_InsanityxX

Old 04-14-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Wow, that actually sounds like fun. The climbing on cabinets part ^_^ I did that when I was younger and the new view of life from there was pretty impressive to me. As for amputating... want my extra weight too?
Sorry, no, but I lost a bunch of weight eating yogurt ^.^ I weight like 160ish already :P Green Tea is a wonderful diet drink too :D

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 AM

No amputations! I am uncoordinated as is! If I got an amputation i would be even more uncoordinated. Then again I think I am fat along with maiden... then again my bf thinks I am supeh sexy (yes I wrote it like that on purpose).