TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 PM

Hello everyone!

My mom was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year. It has been a rough year for her since she is very much a carb lover and has a sweet tooth.

So to make things easier on her I try and make her something sweet (that won't completely kill her sugar levels) on every holiday. Her birthday is coming up in 9 days so I'd like to try something new.

Some things I've tried had ended up being quite tasty and other things taste like fail. So I was wondering if anyone has tried any recipes that have proven to be awesome.

GwenaHikari
사랑해요

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 AM

My Mother is also diabetic, so I also try to find sugar-free (ones without artificial sweeteners) or low-sugar recipes, I don't have a huge stock pile per se but I'm always finding new recipes so I'll post more as I fine them but for now I have this:

easy-refrigerator-blueberry-cheesecake-sugar-free-and-gluten-free that uses stevia in it. I haven't exactly tried it (yet) but I plan to when I get the ingredients.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 AM

I haven't tried using stevia et. I hear a lot of good things about it and I want to try it but I haven't found out how you really use it or cook/bake with it. If you try it, let me know how it goes :D

I have one from smuckers. Recipe Here. Its for sugar free cheesecake also. Most of the flavor comes from lemon juice but there is sweetened condensed milk in it so even that she knows to eat sparingly.

What I really want to find is sugar free chocolate something for her. Most sugar free chocolate is all splenda or something else and just isn't right :/

GwenaHikari
사랑해요

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 02:00 AM

Its a bit bitter but theirs always dark chocolate I like to get it from here Organic milk and dark chocolate bars | Equal Exchange but you can probably make you own, I think I saw a recipe some where but can't find it now...lol

I did (in trying to find it) find this:
enzyme-chocolate

I like buying dark chocolate because its still kind of sweet but it has very little sugar in it - so little my mom can eat several pieces without breaking her "sugar budget"

There also these if she doesn't mind peppermint
guilt-free-peppermint-patties

Last edited by GwenaHikari; 09-19-2013 at 02:11 AM..

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 AM

Dark chocolate really all depends for her. She didn't like it much before her diagnosis but she did like some specific brands for dark chocolate. Like dove's dark chocolate squares.

I've tried 2 recipes for making sugar free chocolate. neither turned out all that great, decent but not that great.

There's a store called Rocky Mountain Chocolate that sells sugar free chocolate candies. They're harder than normal chocolate but still a good imitation. Only problem is that I'm not sure what's in them and the ladies up front were absolutely no help. My mom's been trying to stay away from splenda and other substitutes as well.

Those peppermint patties are a must try though. I think she would just LOVE that. Thank you so much <3