Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 AM

So I'm not much of a traveler. I like staying home and being comfortable in a place that I'm familiar with. So when I do end up traveling somewhere, I plan every last minute of that trip! I want to know exactly where I'm going, when, how much I'm spending, how I'm getting there and everything in between. The less I have to worry about, the better! I don't want anything taking me by surprise.

But I know that I lot of people hate traveling this way. There's really no spontaneity involved, not to mention all the research that goes on beforehand. Getting too strict about your planning can be a bit of a pain too.

So what do you guys do? Would you rather have a trip all settled before you even leave home, or do you just rush out there and leave it all to fate?

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 AM

I like to plan out the basics. Like how long we'll be there, where to stay, how to get there, etc...
But once at the destination, though there might be a general plan for the day, everything else is usually getting winged.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 01:11 AM

I overplan everything to the extent I've never managed to travel long distances minus a few times

Though for short distances, I can somewhat manage to plan out a bus route and a buffer bus just in case to get places.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 AM

I prefer to wing it, though getting lost is no fun especially when you're somewhere where people don't speak the same language(s) as you do.

So I prefer it if someone else does all the preplanning (but knowing my friends, at most we'd just have a basis of where we're headed to for the day and wing the rest), and then just go along with everybody else. ;;

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 AM

I need plenty of advance warning for travelling, because I'll try pretty much every trick in the book to talk myself out of it. Spur of the moment stuff would have me running screaming xD But I don't think I'm an obsessive planner. But then I've never travelled much, and I've never done any of the finding somewhere to stay and booking it myself stuff.

The last time I went anywhere was for my sister's wedding, that didn't involve anything other than making sure I had everything that I needed to take with me. The time before that was when Lee flew us out to Florida for the weekend, I did a fair amount of triple-checking of info then. Involving what I was allowed to take in the cabin especially. Checking info from Hearthrow, Detroit and Florida to make sure they all told me the same stuff... trying to find out accurate gate info for Heathrow (no dice there) how much time I needed to change planes in Detroit...

45 minutes is the barest minimum for an international to internal flight, it said, how much time did I have? Oh yeah, 45 minutes I had to get off one plane, get through immigration, collect my case, check it in for the next flight, and get to the gate for the internal flight. The 2 gates being at the complete opposite ends of the airport My flight was boarding as I got to it...

I did almost back out of going to that, I fought with myself over it. I was very scared of flying to another country on my own, but I made myself not back out, because it was too good a thing to throw away. Plus Juru was have been so mad with me

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
The 2 gates being at the complete opposite ends of the airport
Yup... they do that on purpose too I swear...

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
The 2 gates being at the complete opposite ends of the airport
Like what Poet said. -__-;;

Running across a giant airport with the threat of your flight leaving without you (or getting delayed) is no fun at all.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Hahah. I kind of like airport "travelling" in itself. It feels like a mini-city (unless it's just a small airport).

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 AM

Iku needs to distill that travel calmness and market it!

At least at Detroit airport there's a tram thing running from one end of the concourse to the other. But that's only because it's so damn far

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM

I would if I could!

Ooh, the trams are one of my favorite things in airports.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM

I enjoyed playing with the motion activated taps in the ladies

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 02:33 PM

I hate airport buses that takes you from one section to another, because that means having to go outside...and that one time when we had to take an airport bus in Japan, it was in the middle of the night and it was freezing.