Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Ever heard of WWOOF?
Here's the Wiki if not: Click me~

But in brief, WWOOF stands for "Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms."
Now it may not seem so appealing at first (and maybe forever for some of you), but if you're like me and you like travelling, but can't afford pricy plane ticket + pricy hotel stay, then WWOOF might interest you, as long as you don't mind working a little.
As the name states, you're basically working on an organic farm. This work (which will vary from farm to farm) is basically your "payment" for room and board at the farm.
Now, because you are on a farm though, you're usually pretty far from most touristy places. So if you're more interested in seeing famous sites and things like that, this probably isn't for you. If you're interested in experiencing another culture really face-to-face, then yes, this could be for you! It will depend on the farm obviously, but some of the better stories I've read is the host family taking the WWOOFers to the nearest city to better experience the culture and such; so it's not all work (though it could be if you're on one of those farms).

I'd love to be able to do this at least once. I haven't looked into much lately (plane ticket prices, man), but the last country I was seriously thinking of trying it out was France.

[QUOTE]So, do any of you guys think this would be interesting to do?[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Or not your style?[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]Have any of you done this or something similar? [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]How was it?[/QUOTE]

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 PM

I know several people who have done this! My cousin and his girlfriend spent several months in Hawaii, picking fruit on various farms and camping out. They had a blast, but were living a pretty rough life. They told me so many horror stories about insects and spiders. And I have a friend who went to an olive farm in Portugal for a couple weeks. I think that her trip was much less exciting, but she had a lovely time in the countryside. It gave her the opportunity to practice a couple new languages.

I don't think that I'd ever get involved, but the entire program sounds like a great idea.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 AM

it would make an interesting travel
has anyone ever done it?