jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM

While I'm off sick and unable to go out and do my food shopping myself, I've been doing it online with Tesco. In my post today I got a choccy from them, this:

And a little booklet about the Christmas deliveries, plus 500 Clubcard points if I shop online before Christmas Eve.

Very nice! None of this, "FREE, but only if you spend X amount first!" and so forth. Just a genuine bonus for something I was likely to be doing anyway.

The guy who delivered my groceries yesterday let me in on a little secret too. Because I bought an extremely cheap bag of toffees to try, but they were unavailable so were substituted with a more expensive option (which is normal if you select to allow substitutions, you don't pay any more). But he said, that as it's the festive season it's their policy to replace all unavailable items with the most expensive alternative, instead of the next one up which is what they normally do.

I was impressed! There's no need for them to do this, so it's purely customer service, and a really nice touch considering the amount people spend on groceries this time of the year!

Has anyone else got a good story to share about shops?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 PM

*sniffs*
do i smell chocolate?!!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-28-2013, 10:41 PM

No, I ate it And now I get that profile comment

I'm actually not at all fond of Lindor xD But it was still a nice gesture!

Last edited by jellysundae; 11-30-2013 at 03:14 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-28-2013, 11:28 PM

yes yes, hummy's an odd one, yeah?

sorry to confuse you.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 PM

That sounds like a really neat service, jelly!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-30-2013, 03:17 AM

I take it you don't get home delivery in the US? I know I mentioned it to someone else and they couldn't believe it. But the distances in the US make sense of that, I suppose.

Ironically, the Tesco that does the .com stuff in this area isn't the one here in town, as it's not a superstore, so my groceries come from the store in Boston, which is about 16 miles away ><

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-30-2013, 03:34 AM

There are lots of small businesses that do home delivery, but in many areas it's like a third party thing where they pick up what you want from the place that sells it and bring it to you (so more of a "shopping and delivery" service). Usually super expensive from my experience, and not all that reliable. They frequently go out of business. Here in Phx there are more stores that do home delivery just because it's so damn hot & there's a larger senior population. Don't have experience with them though.

tigerangel
(ó㉨ò)
Penpal

Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 PM

A larger version of the grocery store that I work at, here in town, offers grocery delivery service. You choose what you want online and an employee dedicated to home shopping picks out the products and delivers them to your home.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 AM

Interestingly enough, I also received chocolates in the post recently, a gift, but unfortunately a couple of the chocolates melted...