okamimyst
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to okamimyst Send a message via Yahoo to okamimyst

Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 PM

I had an interesting idea for a drabble recently. Many of the drabbles I have seen have been based off of random words like "love," and "peace," and "death," etc, etc. My thought was, why not write a series of drabbles based off of music? So, that's what I am doing.

I will be writing these while listening to various songs, some might be classical (in fact, most will be because it's much easier to write to something that doesn't have words), but, who knows, there may well be the occasional rock or pop song in my "playlist."

So, here's a list to get us started:

If the "track" is in GREEN it means that I have written, and posted, a piece to go along with the "track."

Track 1: Horse Rider--12 Girls Band
Track 2: Fur Elise--Beethoven
Track 3: My Heart Goes On--Instrumental; Titanic
Track 4: All I Ask Of You--Instrumental; Phantom of the Opera
Track 5: Can You Feel the Love Tonight--Instrumental; Lion King
Track 6: The Dream of the Gods--David Arkenstone
Track 7: Celts--Enya
Track 8: Storms in Africa--Enya
Track 9: The White Tree--Howard Shore; The Lord of the Rings
Track 10: The Kenyons--Liz Knowles
Track 11: Procession of the Gods--Joe Hisaishi; Spirited Away
Track 12: The Merry-Go-Round of Life--Joe Hisaishi; Howl's Moving Castle
Track 13: Spring--Antonio Vivaldi
Track 14: Cannon in D--Pachelbel
Track 15: Flight of the Bumblebee--
Track 16: Serenade in G Major--Mozart
Track 17: Suite #17--Handel
Track 19: Prelude a l'Apres-Midi d'un Faune--Debussy
Track 20: Mandolin Concerto in C Minor--Vivaldi
Track 21: Adagio for Strings--Berber
Track 22: Madama Butterfly--Puccini
Track 23: Symphony No. 6 in B minor--Tchaikovsky
Track 24: Cavalleria Rusticana--Mascagi
Track 25: Suite #11--Handel
Track 26: Piano Concerto No. 5 in F minor--Bach
Track 27: Clarinet Concerto in A Major--Mozart
Track 28: Sonata No. 6 in C Major--
Track 29: The Tales of Hoffman
Track 30: Hungarian Dance No. 1 in G minor
Track 31: Triumphant March
Track 32: Scenes from Childhood Op. 15
Track 33: Les Toradors--Carmen
Track 34: Neopalitan Dance--Swan Lake
Track 35: Watermusic--Hayden
Track 36: Wedding March--A Midsummer's Night Dream
Track 37: Adalasia--Disney's Enchanted
Track 38: Beyond Me--Yoko Kanno; Wolf's Rain
Track 39: The Journey to the West--Joe Hisaishi; Monoke Hime (Princess Monoke)
Track 40: A Far Cry--Yoko Kanno; Excaflowne
Track 41: The Gift of Falling--Liz Knowles
Track 42: A Storm is Coming--Howard Shore; The Lord of the Rings
Track 43: Amazing Grace--12 Girls Band
Track 44: Free (Instrumental)--ERIKA/Kaoru Amane
Track 45: Wish--Kaoru Amane/ERIKA
Track 46: Forbidden Palace--12 Girls Band
Track 47: Below the Ocean (The Spirit of Atlantis)--David Arkenstone
Track 48: Kamigami Sama--Joe Hisaishi; Sen to Chihiro (Spirited Away)
Track 49: Arcadia--Yoko Kanno; Escaflowne
Track 50: Escape--Yoko Kanno; Wolf's Rain
Track 51: Ashitaka to San--Joe Hisaishi; Monoke Hime (Princess Monoke)
Track 52: The Crooked Road--Liz Knowles
Track 53: Hope and Memory--Howard Shore; The Lord of the Rings
Track 54: Top of the World--12 Girls Band
Track 55: Star of Earth--12 Girls Band
Track 56: Smile Again (Instrumental)--BoA
Track 57: Freedom--12 Girls Band
Track 58: Dream of the Lady--12 Girls Band
Track 59: The Painted Sails--David Arkenstone
Track 60: Face On--Yoko Kanno; Wolf's Rain
Track 61: Chain--Yoko Kanno; Escaflowne
Track 62: Laz--Liz Knowles
Track 63: Minas Tirith--Howard Shore; The Lord of the Rings
Track 64: Day of the River--Joe Hisaishi; Sen to Chihiro (Spirited Away)
Track 65: Sulliman no Mahoujin--Joe Hisaishi; Howl's Moving Castle
Track 66: One Family--Phill Collins; Tarzan
Track 67: Dance of Curse--Yoko Kanno; Escaflowne
Track 68: Hardiman the Fiddler--Liz Knowles
Track 69: Minas Morgol--Howard Shore; The Lord of the Rings
Track 70: Sleeping Wolves--Yoko Kanno; Wolf's Rains
Track 71: Fatal--Yoko Kanno; Escaflowne
Track 72: The Blacksmith--Liz Knowles
Track 73: Twilight and Shadow--Howard Shore; The Lord of the Rings
Track 74: Festival of the Goddess--David Arkenstone
Track 75: The Legend of Ashitaka--Joe Hisaishi; Monoke Hime (Princess Monoke)
Track 76: Into Gaia--Yoko Kanno; Escaflowne
Track 77: Julia--Liz Knowles
Track 78: Sora Kara Futtekita Shoujo--Joe Hisaishi; Laputa (Castle in the Sky)
Track 79: Memory of Fanelia--Yoko Kanno; Escaflowne
Track 80: Sad Moon--Yoko Kanno; Wolf's Rain
Track 81: My Darling Asleep--Liz Knowles
Track 82: Hope Fails--Howard Shore; The Lord of the Rings
Track 83: Jewel of the Sea--David Arkenstone
Track 84: Kuuchuu Sanpo--Joe Hisaishi; Howl's Moving Castle
Track 85: Romance--Yoko Kanno; Escaflowne
Track 86: Castle Kelly--Liz Knowles
Track 87: Time to Say Goodbye--12 Girls Band
Track 88: The Temple of Posiedon--David Arkenstone
Track 89: Waltz of Chihiro--Jow Hisaishi; Sen to Chihiro (Spirited Away)
Track 90: Pilgrim Snow--Yoko Kanno; Wolf's Rain
Track 91: Shadow of Doubt--Yoko Kanno; Escaflowne
Track 92: Jigs for John--Liz Knowles
Track 93: Country Road--12 Girls Band
Track 94: In the Gardens of the Gods--David Arkenstone
Track 95: Ryu no Shonen--Joe Hisaishi; Sen to Chihiro (Spirited Away)
Track 96: Tree of Hearts--Hajime Mozoguchi; Escaflowne
Track 97: A Night at the O'Neils--Liz Knowles
Track 98: Tower of Light--David Arkenstone
Track 99: Shitsui no Pazu--Joe Hisaishi; Laputa (Castle in the Sky)
Track 100: Silver River--Yoko Kanno; Wolf's Rain

**Sorry about the Japanese titles, however, since I am only just beginning to learn Japanese, I am unable to translate the titles.**

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-10-2009 at 01:05 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 PM

TRACK 1:
Song: Horse Rider
Artist: 12 Girls Band

The drum tapped the beat out with a measure of sharp tones. In a whirlwind, the stringed erhu joined in, the sounds resonating from the vibrating strings and soundboard. The music floated to the highest reaches of the yurt, the tones twirling and performing acrobatics in the air.

Malina stood behind the curtain watching as Leena spun in the dirt a few lengths from the fire pit that had been cleared for a makeshift stage. Her naked feet kicked dust up from the bare earth, and her skirts spread the dust around the area, sometimes causing the fire to jump and spark. The warm glow of the fire danced off of Leena's anklets and bracelets, things a dancer could never be seen without, and cast an orange-red hue onto her skirts. Malina thought Leena's feet to be amazing; they were so quick and light. Of course, this was partly due to the fact that Malina could really only see Leena's feet through the crack at the bottom of the curtain. To Malina, it was painstakingly obvious why the Lord favored Leena's dancing. She wished within her heart of hearts that one day she could be as wonderful a dancer as Leena. But, Malina knew this wish would always remain unfulfilled--no dancer would want to teach a mere orphaned Merchant's servant. Only girls from good families were able to become educated, whether it be in the ways of Dance and Art or in Literature. Therefore, it would always be impossible for Malina to become a dancer.

Sighing, Malina stepped away from the curtain and sneaked around to the back of the yurt.

**By the way, if you haven't heard of 12 Girls Band, I suggest you check them out: www.12girls.org/english/index.asp .

Last edited by okamimyst; 03-08-2009 at 07:18 PM..

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 AM

I love the concept of your list. Sometimes I throw song titles or lyric lines into my lists, but I've never done one completely musical.

I have a few songs from 12 Girls Band, and they're awesome. However, I've never gotten the chance to get more because they were from a friend, and I didn't know who they were for the longest time.

I like the story of the two girls in your drabble. Is there more? A whole story perhaps?

I look forward to reading more!

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Thanks, psyrien!

I agree, 12 Girls Band is awesome, and I didn't actually know about them until I was introduced to it at a White Elephant Exchange with Dragon and I's Girl Scout troop. I just love their instruments and I wish I knew how to play some of those.

As for the characters, it's not something that I already have written, but I think that I'm going to turn them into motifs for this thread and see where it takes me. It'll be a bunch of random scenes, but I'm thinking that eventually I might try and actually string them together. So, we'll see what happens.

Anyway, here's today's track:

Track Twenty Two:
Song: Madama Butterfly
Artist: Giacomo Puccini

Out in the cool evening air, Malina pulled her shawl close around her shoulders. Behind her the gay music of the ball was faint through the glass of the French windows. Before her lay the gardens clothed in the deep blue hues of night. Malina sighed and stepped down the marble steps leading the grassy floor of the gardens. Her feet touching the grass, Malina closed her eyes and filled her lungs with the perfumed air. Quiet and slightly melancholy, Malina padded through the gardens occasionally glancing back at the beautiful house with its lit ballroom of dancing men and women, but mostly she slimply gazed ahead into the soft dark.

Edward stood by the doors leading to the marble patio of Sir Guy's magnificant house and watched the girl wander through the gardens beyond. She had a sort of sad, wistful air about her, and her manner intrigued him. He couldn't help but note how she walked as though she were required to be invisible and how she looked at everything as though it were too beautiful to deserve her gaze. He longed to discover who exactly this shy creature was.

**Note: Want to find out about the classical opera composer Giacomo Puccini? Check out this link: http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/puccini.html or this one for more about Madama Butterfly: http://www.balletmet.org/Notes/ButterflyStory.html.

Last edited by okamimyst; 03-08-2009 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Need for re-working

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Writer's block affected my life again. So, after much wait, here's the next drabble installment. Sorry for the wait.

TRACK 12:
Song: The Merry-Go-Round of Life from Howl's Moving Castle
Artist: Joe Hisaishi

Malina came to the edge of the bluff holding Saddie's reigns. Before her in the early light of the morning sunrise stretched a vast sea of grass, waving to the breeze that blew constantly here. Behind her, in the blue shadows stood a weathered ranch and barn. Beyond them were the now-desolate fields, plow still stopped halfway through the day's work.

This deserted and dismal place was once a happy home. Once, there was a beautiful, ever-smiling young woman at the stove in the front of the house cooking meals for her family--a tall, lean quiet husband, and their two daughters and older son. Her husband was a hardworking man who labored all day in the fields behind the house and tended to the livestock, with the help of his son, of course. These few hills and rolling sea of grass used to be an endless playground and the bell that clanged dimly in the background used to be cheerful and bright, calling the children and husband in to every meal.

It saddened Malina's heart to see a place of such warmth and repose abandoned and forlorn. And with one last look back at the bleak outcroping, she heaved a sigh and mounted Saddie. A double click, and Saddie was swimming down the hill and through the plains.

**Note: I'm sure many of you have seen Miyazaki's film Howl's Moving Castle, which is where this piece comes from. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly suggest it (as well as all of Miyazaki's other films).

Last edited by okamimyst; 03-08-2009 at 07:20 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 PM

Track 49:
Song: Arcadia from Escaflowne
Artist: Yoko Kanno

The great spires that loomed over the dusk enshrouded town of Athem stood out stakly against the sky, seeming to call Malina's name. With a tight heart, she made her way quietly through the cobble-stone streets with Saddie. The cathedral stood on a hill in the center of the town, a narrow-winding path leading up the hillside to the massive front doors of the detailed building. Malina tied Saddie's reins to a hitching post at the foot of the hill and began forging her way up to the entrance.

Etched into rows of stone above the iron door, sat the Kings and Bishops of ages past, their faces sullen and severe. Malina stopped at the foot of the steps, her heart pounding against the bones of her chest as those grim faces starred her down. Gulping, she took in a deep breath and walked up to the door. She wrapped her hand around the iron handle, waiting for some awesome power to strick down where she stood. When nothing happened, she pushed open the door, peering into the musty, dim air beyond.

Malina's tiny footsteps echoed eerily within the vaulted, Gothic nave. Between the pillars on either side of the stoney nave, stood the dark wooden choir, and just beyond the pews. Standing in the center of the entrace, Malina found herself looking down to the altar and rose window at the other end of the nave. About the altar were more stone carvings, and a large Cruxifix hung from the ceiling above.

Entranced by the splendor and eerie beauty of a place to honor all of Heaven, Malina gazed about her as she walked toward the altar. Past the intricate choir, her focus was changed from the magnitude to her surroundings to hone in on the dias before her. At seeing the image of the Lord dying on the tree, she at once remembered why she had come to this place, and fell to her knees. Her palms open at her sides, Malina closed her eyes, and took in a couple of struggling breaths. The faint light that remained within the cathedral seemed to intensify and warm her forehead. Malina could have sworn she felt the weight of a hand against her head. Tears began to slowly slide down her cheeks as she sliently prayed. She prayed for everything she had ever known.

At length, Malina finished her prayer, and the warmth left her forehead as she opened her eyes. she breathed out and her shoulders relaxed as a great calmness overcame her senses. There could be nothing better than the peace that came with prayer.

**Note: Not sure what Escaflowne is? Head here: http://escaflowne.anime.net//
Want to know more about the Japanese artist Yoko Kanno? Then, check this out:
http://www.jameswong.com/ykproject/

Last edited by okamimyst; 03-08-2009 at 07:21 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 PM

Track 86:
Song: Castle Kelly
Artist: Liz Knowles

Malina stood in the back of the banqueting hall, clapping loudly in time witht he lively jig that Haridman the Fiddler was playing. Margaret Winston danced by with Jimmy Cornwall, her head thrown back in laughter. Malina laughed to herself at the sight of seeing Margaret so gay. She hadn't been this happy since she came to the Academy and Malina was glad to see her finally enjoying herself.

"Come dance with me!" came Lindy's voice in her ear, causing Malina to start.

"Word, Lindy! You scared me half to death!" exclaimed Malina. "And shouldn't you be dancing with someone else? It's not like you'll ever have a chance to again, you know."

"But I want to dance with you," pouted Lindy. "Besides, I have a plan in mind that will let me dance with Andre any time I please."

"Oh do you, now? You have a plan to get yourself out of an arranged marriage?"

"Yes. And I'll only tell you if you dance with me!"

"Well, then. I guess I have to choice but to oblige!" remarked Malina as Lindy led her out into the crowd of lively students.

**Note: Here is Liz Knowles' Myspace page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=153155999

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:01 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM

Track 56
Song: Smile Again (Instrumental); from the single Lose Your Mind
Artist: BoA

Malina stepped out onto the balcony through the sheer curtains that hung over the doorway from the room. The moon was full in the sky, and it was such a clear night that she could almost count the stars. A breeze came up from the sea, bringing with it the scent of salt, seaweed, and sand. Malina took a deep breath and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, things seemed to have a slightly different look and feel; softer, maybe. She sighed and looked down at her hands on the balcony railing. Her eyes caught a figure walking up from the grass of the gardens to the terrace. It was Jarien. Malina watched as he went to sit on the banister boardering the terrace. The spot he chose had one of the great cyprus trees growing just close enough that one could rest their back against the bark of the ancient tree. Jarien put his head back, and Malina could help but notice how the moonlight fell on his face and body. She watched him for several minutes before bitting her lip and retreating from the openess of the balcony to the inside of Sir Liam's room.

From Sir Liam's chamber, Malina padded down the servant stairs to one of the many arched hallways that lead to the tearrace. Here she hid herself behind another sheer curtain, and chanced a look back onto the terrace. He was no longer there. Malina sighed sadly and let go of the curtain she had pulled part way back from the archway.

**Note: For more on Korean pop star BoA, head over to this link: http://www.boa-kwon.net/

Last edited by okamimyst; 03-08-2009 at 07:24 PM..

nevermore
Dead Account Holder

Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Hey, Okami! Thought I'd tell you that I've really been enjoying your drabble. I like how you have a thread going through them. Can't wait to see how the scenes end up connecting; will make for an interesting jumbled-up story.

Also, I like how you include links about the artist/song you've gained your inspiration from. Really makes me want to listen to your playlist while I read.

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Haha. Thanks Never. Glad you're enjoying it.

Track 74
Song: Festival of the Goddess
Artist: David Arkenstone

Malina could hear the music before she reached the city gates of Julea. Even those charged with guarding the fearsomely walled capital from dangerous travelers were visible affected by the lively music. Malina was let in without a single question.

The streets of Julea were just as alive. The bright white-washed buildings with their blue roofs and doors were brightened even further by the colorful decorations that were strung from house to house. People roamed teh streets with smiles stretched across their faces pink with talk, laughter, and drink. Saddie's hooves clacked gaily on the coblestone streets and Malina ducked frequently so as not to run into the laterns strung about. The masses of people became thicker the closer to the central market Malina came. She thought of dismounting and leading Saddie through the crowd, but decided it was safer on her white mare than off it.

Here in the heart of the city, the music and gaity of the Festival of the Goddess was infatuating. A stage was set up where dancers danced to the sounds of pipes, drums, harps, and just about every other sort of instrument. Vendors sold brightly colored clothes and delicious meats and sweets; children ran about the central green, flying elegant and elaborate kites they bought for a durem from one of the vendors near the entrance to the square.

But as much as Malina would have liked to stay and enjoy the festivites, there was a place she needed to be, so she had to leave the gaities behind and make her way up the streets toward Castille Julea.

**Notes: For more on David Arkenstone and his music, head over to: http://www.davidarkenstone.com

Last edited by okamimyst; 03-08-2009 at 07:24 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Track 37
Song: Adalasia; from Disney's Enchanted
Artist: Alan Menekn & Stephen Schwartz

images from Julea as Malina walks through it one morning (Belle-esque)

Early in the morning, Malina stole out from the confining walls of Castille Julea by way of the expansive gardens. In the gray morning sun, she quickly walked on the damp dew-covered grass. Her breakfast was an apple pulled from the branches of the tree by the Castille gates, that Malina easily climbed over without tearing her dress or cloak. Living at the Academy had brought an expertise on how to scale many things meant to keep people within. Light-hearted, Malina skipped down the road to the town below. She felt like singing, but had no song to sing. As she approached the town, the bells of the church began to toll, waking the inhabitants to a new day. In town, Malina stayed the middle of the street to avoid the residents of house dumping leftovers from the night out the window. As she was coming around the corner of Grace Street, two men jumped out from the shadows and surrounded her. Another came from behind and covered her mouth with a cloth before she could scream. As the bells continued tolling, the world grew fuzier and darker instead of lighter and clearer like it should have been.

**Notes: More on Disney's Enchanted can be found here: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/enchanted/

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Track 90:
Song: Pilgrim Snow from Wolf's Rain
Artist: Yoko Kanno

The caravan moved slowly through the wintered pass. Everywhere Malina looked there was snow. It fell gently from the gray, unthreatening sky, and piled up in drifts along the road and under the deep green boughs of the evergreens and pines blanketing the Bue Peaks. The slow movement of Saddie beneath Malina's thighs lulled her into a state of daydream, and she watched everything about her with an eye of fancy. To her, this snow-covered mountain world was something out of a fairy book; indeed the colorful wagons of the caravan she was traveling with only added to this whimsical wintry world. Her eyes followed the tall, proud trunks of the unornamented Christmas trees upward to the gray sky, blinking as snowflakes caught in her eyelashes. Here, dark bird glided against a plae gray sky, their loops and shapes overhead a source of pure entertainment.

There was nothing Malina liked better than day of snowfall. At the Academy, snowy days were rare. And as such, when such days fell upon the school, as soon as classes were over, you could be sure to see children of all ages running about in the snow drifts, sliding down hillsides and battling it out with hard-packed balls of snow. Of course, Malina had never really cared too much for such rompus play. The older she grew, the more she took to stealing away from the enclosed grounds and gardens on Saddie's back with Lindy trailing behind on her mare, Chestnut. They would ride fast away from the Academy and into the hills beyond, where they would slow their pace and ride silently through the woods that dotted that skyline, watching the snow tease its way through the boughs of bare oak, maple, aspen, and the green ones of pines and firs. It was here, among the safety of the silent forest, that they would tell each other their greatest secrets.

How far away did those youthful days seem!

**Notes: What is Wolf's Rain, you ask? Check this out: http://www.wolfs-rain.mypiece.com/

Last edited by okamimyst; 05-26-2009 at 07:58 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 05-26-2009, 07:54 PM

Track 2:
Song: Fur Elise
Artist: Beethoven

Edward bowed, one hand behind his back, the other in front and slightly extended toward his chosen lady—Elisabeth Melton. His father told him that Elisabeth came from a noble bloodline, and that they’d been promised to each other when she was nothing but an infant. But although they were promised, they had never met. Edward was pleased to find that Elisabeth was so beautiful, and so graceful in the yellow dress that he was sure his sister had lent her. He smiled as he straightened and the lights dimmed; moonlight poured down through the skylight, a natural spotlight.

Malina looked into the moonlit face of young Prince Edward. What had Lindy got her into? Why on Earth did she agree to this? Nervously, Malina attempted a curtsey; after all she had no choice but to accept the Prince’s hand for the dance. She tried to take it with grace and elegance. The Prince guided her out onto the floor, and placed his other hand into the small of her back. Malina rested her free hand on his shoulder, trying hard to keep her fingers from shaking. Her efforts did nothing.

Now that they were in the proper position, the music began and Prince Edward led her into the dance that Malina had been practicing with Lady Patricia and her teacher for the past three weeks. The dance began with a slow simple rotating box step and progressed to a more complicated waltz. Malina had never danced this sort of dance before, not even at school, she guessed that it must be something that only the truly fine ladies learned. She loved the feel of the dance, really any dance, but this one in particular had some sort of sweet grace to it that truly spoke to Malina. She wasn’t sure she enjoyed her partner nearly half as much, and she longed be outside of the grand hall filled with ostentatious guests gliding about the room. It was all too grand.

The dance ended with a bout of fast-paced turns, and then another four counts of the box step. Prince Edward held her for a moment after the music stopped, and then turned to applaud the orchestra with the rest of the dancers. Malina seized the moment.

**Notes: More about Fur Elise? Check out this link: http://www.forelise.com/about

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:00 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 05-31-2009, 06:22 PM

Track 32
Song: Scenes from Childhood, Op. 15
Artist: Robert Schumann

The grasses of the High Plains waved beneath Saddie’s underbelly. Malina’s focus was on the low house on the hill. Yes, it was weather worn and a bit run down, but it looked the same to Malina. She couldn’t believe that it hadn’t been torched. Reaching the hill, Malina tied Saddie’s reigns to an old tree, and walked toward the house. Everything here was as familiar as a soft, distant memory. The wood on the house, though gray with weathering, still looked like the same chestnut-colored wood to Malina. The door, though off its hinges and no longer as brilliant, was still painted a cheery blue to Malina. Every the interior looked the same, although it had been looted several times and no longer housed half of what she remembered being there. As Malina stepped through the half-hinged door into the main room, bits and pieces of lost memories floated before her eyes.

Over on the right there used to stand a piano, and every night after dinner, her mother would sit down before the instrument, her back straight and a secret smile on her lips. The notes of Bach, Beethoven, and Strauss would echo about the room, bringing the evening to life. Most nights the songs she played became the backdrop for the game of dolls Malina and her baby sister would play on the floor in front of the couch. Her father and brother would play a game of cards, and sometimes her father would join her mother and play his guitar.

Music was always present in the old homestead. In the mornings, her mother could be found in front of the stove on the other side of the room, humming a tune as she cooked breakfast. Music was what Malina would wake to and it was what she would go to sleep to in those old happy days.

The rest of her days were taken up with the activities of childhood--playing games with her sister and sometimes her brother when he wasn't helping her father with the farm and ranch work. The hallways and other rooms were excellent places for tag and hide-and-go-seek games that could last the whole day if allowed to.

Other times the games would be outside among the animals of the farm, or sometimes out in the tall grasses of the plains not so very far away. But that was only when her brother accompanied them. It was these memories that Malina treasured the most. They would run, and scream, and yelp until her brother declared the game over, and then they would lie down in the grass together and watch the clouds roll by from their screen of grass.

As Malina made her way about the homestead, remembering these fragments of her past life, a small whistful smile played on her lips. However, she could not stay long. So, she tore herself away from her childhood memories and took hold of Saddie's once again to travel onwards toward Julea.

**Notes: For more on Schumann, try here: http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/schumann_r.html
For more on Scenes from Childhood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinderszenen

Last edited by okamimyst; 06-09-2009 at 02:34 AM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 AM

Track 3:
Song: My Heart Will Go On
Artist: Titanic

Malina leaned against the marble pillar in the empty moon-lit great hall and wrapped her arms around herself. She closed her eyes and imagined herself far away into her memories. Her imaginings took back several years to when Lindy, Jasmine, Kent, Justin, and herself had taken a secret trip into Lindow for a few days away from the day-to-day trials of the Academy. They’d snuck away from the school easily enough (it had never been difficult to sneak out considering the size of the campus and the amount of students who didn’t actually live at the school) and taken the train from Glasmere to Lindow. The train ride had been spectacular, and Malina, who had never ridden a train before, had been especially entranced by the experience. Once in the mountain city, they had followed the crowds to a local pub where a ceili was taking place. They’d seated themselves at a table on a balcony that overlooked the bare space created in the floor below for the dance. It wasn’t long before Malina was suddenly asked to dance, and with some pressure from her friends, she’d agreed.

Standing in the great room, with her back against the pillar and her arms encircling her body, Malina sighed and imagined herself in the arms of the young man whose name she’d forgotten to get. She again felt the gentle and firm pressure of his hand in the small of her back, and the confidence in his footsteps as he swept her about the dirt floor. His blue eyes held hers perfectly, and his smile alone was enough to keep her enchanted. To Malina, there was nothing else in the room besides the man she was dancing with.

Confident that no one besides herself was in the Great Hall, Malina allowed herself to dance with her memories. Eventually, the faint music disappeared and Malina regretfully opened her eyes. She was standing in the Great Hall, looking out the archways to the inky gardens. The moon shone on the green-black grass, and Malina let her arms fall to her sides as she let out a wistful sigh.

**Notes** Here's some more information of the Titanic, both the actual ship and the movie.

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:45 PM..

amarantine
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-11-2009, 05:04 PM

Wonderful drabble, love!

Just a question, your writings have really inspired me, and I was wondering if you would mind if started posting an on-going story these drabbles of yours have gotten me started writing? I would be giving you credit, of course!

Kepp it up, love! :heart:

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 07-05-2009, 03:50 AM

Thanks, Ama! And of course you can!! I'd love to see what my drabble has inspired!!

And here is a new entry! Yay!

Track 19:
Song: Prelude a l'Apres-midi d'une Faune
Artist: Claude Debussy

Mist trembled along the forest ground. Early morning in the woods was always so enchanting to Malina. But there was something strange about these woods; something a bit too enchanting. As she progressed further into the woods, Malina found herself ever more attentive, alert to every sound, every clodding footstep of Saddie. Suddenly, something caught her eye.

Through a veil of oak leaves and branches was a clearing bedecked with the golden hues of morning sunlight. And, in the very center of the clearing, was a man. He lied on his back, arms tucked beneath his head and one knee bent up to the canopy of sky above. With a quiet, whoa, Malina brought Saddie to a stop and watched him. He looked so peaceful there, lying among the dewey grasses, the sunlight glinting off his muscular, tanned arms and legs. Malina reddened with her sudden attraction to this stranger. He stirred. Looked right to where she was, and Malina quickly looked away, even though she was sure the screen of foliage should be enough to her from his sight.

As she debated whether or not to continue, she stole another glance at the clearing.

"A lady such as yourself shouldn't be riding through a forest unaccompanied," said a voice in front of her. Her vision whipped back around to the front. It was the man from the clearing. She was stunned and had to clear her throat before attempting to speak.

"Just because I am a woman does not mean that I'm incapable of taking care of myself," she said, urging Saddie forward.

"I can see that," he said, side-stepping to block her way. "But please allow me to inquire where you are headed."

Malina studied him and weighed her response. How much could she trust a man in the woods, especially a woods such as this?

"You may inquire, but I am under no obligation to return an answer," she returned.

"Of course, m'lady, but if you wish to get through the woods by nightfall safely, then you will have to trust a stranger who knows the woods like the back of his hand." There is was. Raw and straight-forward. She decided to play the part.

"I suppose you may be right, but I have a horse and you have none." The man grinned, brought two fingers--long, bowman's fingers, she noted--to his lips, a blew a shrill whistle. A dark, chestnut bay appeared moments later. The man mounted, and Malina followed a stranger through an enchanted wood.

**Notes** More on Debussy and Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune (Prelude to the Aftern of a Faun).

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:48 PM..

nevermore
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 PM

Your work does have a tendency to inspire, okami! And, ama, all I have to say is that if you're going to write a little story based off of okami's work, then you'll need to update it more than you update your drabble! Forgive me for sounding like a jerk, but, seriously, you need to update that thing!

Oh, and, okami, I really do like how you use the same main character through out your drabbles, it will be interesting to see how ama uses all of this!

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Thank never! And I concur; it will be interesting to see what ama comes up with, IF she evers posts anything! :P

And here is another:

Track 24
Song: Cavalleria Rusticana
Artist: Pietro Mascagni

Malina walked slowly with the procession. People lined the streets throwing coins and tear dampened handkercheifs into the processional, but Malina didn't see them. Her eyes were gazing only upon her memories:

Lying in the cool summer grass staring fixedly up at the luminous blue stars of the galaxy. Jason told her that the stars were actually spinning and that they were actually seeing stars that were hundreds of years old because the light took so long to reach their eyes. Malina had asked him how, and he'd replied that the stars were thousands and thousands of miles away.

"If they're so far away, then how can the people who died watch over us?" she'd asked.

"Because they have special powers. They're like God."

"They're Gods?!"

Jason had laughed. "In their own way."

It made Malina smile to think of Jason as a God - in his own way. She couldn't see him enjoying that kind of power. It was true, he enjoyed being the boss; being the Major; being in charge of others. But to have the absolute power of a God... Malina decided he was more of a head angel.

Seeing his shadowy figure riding out of the late-night mists of the forest, proud on the back of his horse. Of course, then she hadn't known who he was, tied up as she had been, rope and leather digging into her wrists. She'd half snarled as he dismounted and strode toward the feral girl his troops had captured. Then, he pulled off his helmet.... He looked so much different than last time she'd seen him, but she knew in that moment, before he even opened his blue eyes, that is was him. He stared into her face for a moment, and then, as recognition swept across his face, he smiled halway.

"Release her, Vin. Malina Edwards won't disappear."

She had to think he was right. Why would Malina Edwards ever disappear. And as the procession passed under the gates to the town and the vast hills and countryside were caught in Malina's eyes, she knew.

**Notes** More on Mascagni: http://www.mascagni.org/

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:50 PM..

amarantine
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 PM

Hey! Don't you worry, I'm going to post. I just wanted to PM you a preview, O Muse!!

By the way, your most recent post is particuarly juicy... I can't wait to find out how I'm going to incorporate it!

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Well, ama, hurry up and start posting! That tidbit you PMed me is making me antsy! And it's not nice to make your muse antsy!!

Track 96:
Song: Tree of Hearts, from Escaflowne, The Movie
Artist: Hajime Mizoguchi

Malina ran into the hall to find Audrey rocking back and forth, clutching the limp body of a soldier to her breast. In the entrance to the hall stood two tall men, cloathed in black. As the other soldiers rushed to defend their fallen companion and the castle, Malina lunged forward towards Audrey, but a strong arm caught her around the waist, pulling her back. Malina twisted to see who it was. It was the Prince.

"Audrey--" she began.

"Abel is taking care of her. You need to leave," her replied. Malina turned to look to Audrey, who was being torn from her dead love as gently as possible by Abel.

"Now, Elizabeth." He pulled her out of the hall, and grabbed her wrist. He ran then and Malina had no choice but to follow.

Outside of the castle walls Saddie was waiting paitently, and Prince Edward helped her onto the horse's back. He slapped the rump, and as Saddie galopped away, Malina looked back to see him raise a hand, even as the hall was pumbled with giant flaming rocks. Tears caught in her eyes as she watched the castle being destroyed. And when she could stand the view no longer, she urged Saddie onward, the memories of her time there wavering in her mind, like the flames engulfing the hall wavered in the stiff wind that had swept up earlier in the morning.

**Notes** More on the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270933/
More on Hajime Mizoguchi: http://archcello.com/top

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:52 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 08-01-2009, 03:38 AM

Track 34
Song: Neopalitian Dance from Swan Lake
Artist: Tchaikovsky

The gilded Great Hall was filled with music, and Malina entered with Lindy to find almost every student dancing around the hardwood floor. The long tables had been removed and all the lights were lit. The windows were open, and even the teachers seemed to be enjoying themselves. Lindy clapped her hands together.

"I wonder if Andre is here!" she exclaimed. Malina laughed.

"I think he's twirling his way around the dance floor," she said. Lindy stuck her lower lip out in a pout.

"That's not fair! He should be dancing with me, not these other girls."

"I'm sure he'll dance with you the rest of the night, Lindy," Malina returned, laughing again. Lindy always her laugh. Soon enough, Andre whirled past them, the beautiful Anne caught in his arms. Lindy glared.

"Let's walk over there." She pointed to one of the massive carved columns near several buffet tables. "He's bound to notice me there!"

Lindy stood to teh side of the column, fanning her face with the new black lace fan her father had sent her last week, and Malina took to leaning against the pole. As Lindy guess, Andre was soon drawn to her. He bowed briskly as a fast paced Neopaltian waltz was struck up by the orchestra. The pair whirled around the floor, ever graceful, to the sound of trumpets and strings. Malina sighed and watched the lively dancing.

Malina smiled to herself as she swayed to the music with her eyes closed, dreaming. She imagined a tell, dark haired man walking up and bowing to her, only a bit less briskly than Andre's bow. Malina would smile, blush, and shyly accept his extended hand. Then, she herself would be spining about the floor, the skirts of her dress flowing out behind her. The rest of the world dissapear, and she and her mystery man would be the only ones left in the room. They would dance until the sun rose on the horizon.

The song ended, and Malina's dream floated away, as Lindy came bounding up, a smile spread wide across her face.

**Notes** Tchaikovsky: http://www.tchaikovsky-research.org/en/index.html
Swan Lake: http://www.balletmet.org/Notes/SwanHist.html

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:54 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 PM

Track 23:
Song: Symphony No. 6 in F Minor
Artist: Tchaikovsky

Malina left the site of the ruined castle on foot with a heavy heart. As the day turned to dusk, she plodded along beside her beloved Saddie thinking only of the destruction she had witnessed within those tumbled walls. Unaware was she of the shadows about her, how some of the moved in time with her steps. Finally, she reached the ridge where she been in the wee hours of morning, and took one last look over her shoulder. Still smoldering, the ruins stood against a sky lit like a fire. The further the sun sank on the horizon, the redder it became, until Malina could no longer gaze at the sight for the resemblance of the red stains against those once brilliantly white halls. Tears caught in her eyes, she turned from the scene and picked her way down the ridge, leading Saddie along.

At the bottom of the ridge, Malina took a glance up, feeling as though something wasn’t quite right. Standing there were five black sharp shadows against the fiery setting sun. Their sharpness caused Malina to start, and, with her heartbeat quickening by the second, she scrambled onto Saddie’s back and urged her into a fleeing gallop, praying that the shadows didn’t have mounts of their own. Saddie’s hooves pounded the ground at an ever more terrifying pace, flinging up clods of dirt in every direction. Malina looked over her shoulder to see the shadows of a whole raiding party worth of men both running and riding down the ridge. She kneed Saddie into an ever faster pace, and searched desperately for a safe haven. There was an outcropping of rocks way off to the right, but with those shadows spreading themselves out as they were, it was much too dangerous to try and change directions now, she would just have to hope that somewhere ahead the was a place of security, and before Saddie tired out.

As Saddie continued her gallop, Malina grew more and more nervous that they wouldn’t make it. She could hear the wild cries of her pursuers growing closer by the minute. Finally, she saw, the perfect safety net: the woods. And not just any woods, either. No, these were the gnarled ancient trees of the Yamin Forest, and place rumored to be riddled with magic. Malina knew from the folk tales that these men would not dare to follow her into the depths of the woods, especially this close to night fall.

“Just a little further, Saddie,” she urged quietly, bending low over her horses head as she anticipated the overhanging boughs of the trees in the distance.

Saddie crashed into the dark woods, and after few frantic moments of listening, Malina determined that her followers were no longer chasing after her. She reined Saddie in to a full stop, and then slid from her back, her feet hitting a ground covered with years and years of decaying leaves, moss, and occasional grasses. Relief flooded Malina and she leaned against Saddie as the adrenaline from her flight dissipated from her system.

**Notes** The symphony: http://www.tchaikovsky-research.org/...030/index.html

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:55 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 08-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Track 13:
Song: Spring
Artist: Vivaldi

As another song struck up, Lindy and Andre glided by, and Malina smiled wistfully as she watched them move.

“Elizabeth certainly is a beauty, isn’t she?” came a deep, proud voice to Malina’s right. She jumped when looked and found Lindy’s father standing beside her.

“Yes, she is, Mr. Melton,” she replied, trying to seem as demure as an orphan should be. Lindy’s father was always strict about how the classes interacted and acted. An orphan, though not the lowest of the low, should always be demure and quiet, and must be treated with strict regularity, so as to remind them they were at the mercy of the state.

“A perfect fit for the Prince, wouldn’t you say?”

“Yes, sir. Lind—er, Miss Elizabeth would be an excellent match for His Grace, the Prince.” Malina hoped that the dance would end soon and Mr. Melton would go and talk to his daughter instead of making her so very uncomfortable.

“That’s what I was thinking when she was first born. So, the engagement was made right then and there. It’s excellent that so many of the boys enjoy her presence here, but she must remember who she’s promised to.” Malina tried not to stare and Lindy’s father. She was absolutely shocked at his statement. She’d never realized how much he restricted his daughter. And judging from the determination on his face, Malina guessed that Lindy was about to get a reminder of that. The song ended, the guests turned and applauded the orchestra, and then a new song began.

**Notes** First, I have to mention that Vivaldi is probably my favorite composer, along with Paganini, and the Four Seasons are my favorites pieces of his work. So, here's a link for more information on Vivaldi: http://www.baroquemusic.org/bqxvivaldi.html and his Four Seasons: http://classicalmusic.about.com/od/b...ourseasons.htm

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-15-2009 at 03:58 PM..

okamimyst
*^_^*

Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Track 8:
Song: Storms in Africa
Artist: Enya

Malina rose with the dawn. As the energy from the rising sun spread throughout her room above the kitchen, she made herself ready for the coming day, and then climbed out her window. She’d promised Lindy she’d meet her at the stables. She ran through the quiet grounds of the Academy, enjoying the feel of the ground beneath the pounding of her feet. When she reached the stables, Lindy was there, talking to Matthew, the stable boy, as he prepared two magnificent bays. Malina couldn’t keep her joy and thrill from showing on her face. Lindy greeted Malina with a quick hug, and then the two were on their horses and galloping away from the confining walls of the academy.

Just outside the walls was a landscape of low rolling hills, dotted with the occasional grove of trees, and off to the north stood a forest that climbed into the foothills of the Pilgrim Mountains. The only marring of this magnificient landscape was the appearance of train tracks that went from Grasmere, passed by the Academy, and went on towards Lindow in the mountains.

The pair breathed in together, letting it out in a sigh. As the sun turned the sky pink behind the mountains, Lindy heaved another sort of sigh.

“We should go there sometime,” she said.

“Go where?” asked Malina.

“Lindow. I hear it can be quite an exciting place.”

“We’d have to take the train; that’s against Academy policy.”

“This is against Academy policy!”

“No it’s not; the Academy owns 100 acres outside the walls on this side,” replied Malina.

“All the more reason to go to Lindow,” said Lindy, as she turned her horse toward the hills. “Come on, I’ll race you to the oak grove!”

**Notes** For more information of the Celtic artist Enya, head on over to this link: http://www.enya.com

Last edited by okamimyst; 08-16-2009 at 02:37 PM..