Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:02 AM

I like both of your drawings. I have had a couple of art teachers who were more accepting of cartooning. One of them is an actual cartoonist sometimes. The problem with some artists is that when they consider themselves fine artists, they look down at cartooning like it isn't art. I remember one time at an art hop, I was showing off what I had in a sketchbook to an ex classmate of mine. He's a real nice old guy and he liked my gestures and sketches of a real person that happened to be in the book. He recommended that I show them to one of the other people that were there, but he said "Don't show them the others" which, of course, he meant my cartoon drawings. One of them actually liked my cartoon drawings, but anyone else who saw them was just kinda like "uhh okay". Itsucks, but whattaya do?

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 AM

Demo - Yah because cartoons/anime IS art, and it sucks that there's a lot who kinda snub it. We weren't allowed to do ANY cartoon work whatsoever in her classes, and most projects were realism which eh was OK. I'm not a big fan...I kinda got bored of drawing tables full of objects after awhile. Thanks Demo for liking it. Like I said the whole body thing eludes me a bit...it's difficult and I remember struggling a lot in school trying to get it right.

Art is very therapeutic, though and I still do my odd doodles at work while on the phone. Maybe I should push myself a little more. I'm sure I could get myself to do better.

The other thing I never been good at though is drawing with a mouse...that and the best art program I have on my computer is paint. :<

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥
Send a message via AIM to Liztress

Old 11-06-2011, 05:10 AM

I guess it's that saying of "Different strokes for different folks" that applies. But you know, it just irks me that some artists who do only the realistic art turn their noses to the other forms out there.

I remember the "draw this bowl of fruit" assignments we had. And then there was the portraits we had to do of ourselves. I actually enjoyed the different mediums, i.e the print press thing. *forgot its name*

And yep, I'm not got at drawing with a mouse. Though I have improved some.

Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:13 AM

How you develop with art depends on how seriously you want to delve yourself into it. I used to draw nothing but anime, but the fact that I was just drawing that was kind of hindering me. I have nothing against anime, but if one does not expand their horizons and study other things, then not much will develop. I started studying more of Disney and, more so, Don Bluth's style as well as the styles of other animated films. Another thing that helped me was taking a figure drawing class because I was able to find the right guidance to understanding the body better. I applied what I learned in not just drawing realism, but cartoons as well because every cartoonist needs to know anatomy to a degree even if they use a type of canon of proportions.

If you feel you need improving, then all I can suggest is realizing what that problem is, looking for ways to improve that something, and taking the time to do so. Before I took figure drawing, all I knew how to draw were people from the neck up and (although I still mess up on anatomy occasionally) I feel my characters' bodies seem more right, now.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 AM

I heard that taking an anatomy class helps too.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 AM

How did you learn anatomy in class, though? Did you have to use one of those wooden mannequins in class or just have to study a lot of different poses and whatnot?

Oh I can imagine taking classes helps, but I'm at that part of my life if I go back to college I'm going to probably take something that will help me earn a degree...and unless I can take it as an elective, and not specialize in art...I don't think I will get a chance. :< Maybe taking a non-credit art course would be a lot of fun though.

----------

As much as I love art/music, I know how insanely difficult it is to do much with it and will have to probably do something a little more practical. :/

Protagonist
(╯°□°)╯...
Send a message via AIM to Protagonist Send a message via MSN to Protagonist

Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 AM

Question. Will you be doing more D:

Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:21 AM

Yess aside from learning how to draw teh bodies, I was just able to soak in my instructor's take on art in general. I wish I could remember some of the things she said. It's been too long, but I know that my outlook on art has significantly changed because of her.

@Izumi: I took it in college and we used live nude models and drew with charcoal. I know that the thought of drawing nude models is kinda scary to some people, but if you're serious about it, then you'll be able to disregard the nude-ness by the time you get up behind the easel. At least, that's how it was for me the first time.

@Disaster: Well...I do. I'm just cutting my list off for now so I don't feel so overhauled. Just be sure to fill out the little form I have in my first post. :}

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 AM

@Demo: I don't think I'd have a problem drawing the nude model, but BEING the nude model is something I couldn't bring myself to do. :P

I think the first time drawing a nude model might be slightly awkward, but after that I'm sure it becomes pretty normal.

Protagonist
(╯°□°)╯...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 AM

Oh yay~ Now I have to stalk the thread so I can get a spot.

Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 AM

@Izumi: Oh well good! I would be too nervous to be a nude model, myself. I like to pose, but I would require at least skin tight clothing. x}

@Disaster: Yes yess stick around.

Protagonist
(╯°□°)╯...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:28 AM

Ill try to.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-06-2011, 05:28 AM

Same, I think I could handle viewing nude bodies to draw. But I dun want anyone to see me nude.

HamletSpamlet
[¬º-°]¬

Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 AM

Pick up for Izumi! :B

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 AM

I don't think I could get away with skin tight clothing...having people staring at me for any length of time would make me feel nervous....even if I could cover up my unmentionables. O_o;

----------

Awwww that's so cute Hammy! <3

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-06-2011, 05:34 AM

That is so cute!

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:35 AM

Hey Liz, could you shrink it down to siggy size for me? I would in paint but worried it might somehow make it look a bit icky when I do. >_<;

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-06-2011, 05:36 AM

Sure thing. :) How small do you want it to be?

Protagonist
(╯°□°)╯...

Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 AM

Uhggg, now I really need some.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 AM

I think about the same size as yours should be about right. Just make sure to not stretch it to fit exactly, but just around that size. ^_^

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 AM

Alright. I did my resizing via Photobucket. So it should turn out alright.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 AM

ohh cool I didn't even think of doing it like that. I have a photobucket...but need to remember my name and pass for it...it's been awhile. >_>

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 AM

Wow! I love the one for Izumi! It's amazing! And so cute! > w< <3

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 AM

I have like 3 accounts for photobucket.

----------

Alright, this is one that is closest to the size of the one in my signature.

:( Not sure I like how it looks small.

Last edited by Liztress; 11-06-2011 at 05:44 AM..

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 AM

I figured out how to get into my photobucket and I made it like this -

I think that's about as small as I dare make it or it looks grainy.