sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-29-2015, 05:25 PM

It was surprising how easy it was to talk to him right now, although there was a kind of anxiety somewhere in her stomach, fluttering about, especially when Mannik smiled. Was it because she was being silly or she made him happy? She hadn't seen him smile for real before, his eyes lit up then, the green becoming even more stunning. Wait, what? She wasn't supposed to use such words even mentally when describing someone, especially a man who was not to be hers. Although none of these things had been spoken out loud, young woman's cheeks heated up slightly which only made her feel more awkward.

When he offered to come tonight, she tried to measure the good and the bad of postponing their meeting and doing it tonight. Then, finally, Adelmar shook her head with regretful expression. "Tonight would not be the best, but maybe... eve of day after tomorrow?"Smile, although small, was certainly hopeful at this. Mentally, she noted to question Zenon about these supplies that had been mentioned. That he would go and help Below was a good thing, for sure, but she was worried for his motives. Although Hadar heir was usually blunt and straightforward, he had more cunning than one could expect while his selfishness could match that of his father's.

Mannik spoke of Raiding and spying on her and she blushed deeper, ducking her head slightly. Why did she feel so irrationally pleased to hear he really, truly wanted to see her? Was it because no one had ever said that and actually meant it ever since her grandparents? It was kind of pitiful than in her 18 years of life, only so few had truly missed her presence in their lives. She was just that meaningless and bland in the big picture of entwined fates. But here was this man, so openly sharing that he felt pained not to be closer to her. Strange and scary feeling really, and she honestly wasn't sure if she could fully believe him. But she wanted to, oh so badly.

"I know you are anything but useless. And your Commander knows that as well, that is why she chose to trust you with such a task," she assured him, not quite sure how to respond to other things. Well, technically, she did, having been trained in all the arts that lady must know, including flirting, but for various reasons it just felt like the wrong thing to do. Even if for perhaps for first time in her life she felt inclined to. She caught the way Mannik licked his lips, not quite as if he was nervous, in fact it reminded her more of the way Zenon sometimes did when a lady caught his attention... The thought made her shift in her seat slightly.

"Perhaps I should let you rest now, we will have a lot more time to talk when you come, right?" Adelmar offered. She needed to sort out some things in her mind now. A lot of them, actually, and she did feel bad for waking him yet again. Besides, the tipsiness was slowly wearing off and she felt more and more like she had gone over some unspoken border with calling like him. Yet, it had been - still was - so nice.

When the two would finish the conversation, the girl decided to remain on the balcony for a short while longer, staring out at the garden as she tried to place her thoughts and emotions in the shelves she had so carefully made over the years. But no matter how she shifted them around, some didn't find place. For a while now, Adelmar had thought that she could read people with ease and knew the stagnant depth of her own feelings, but it turned out that her kidnapping had turned it into a current that drew her deeper and deeper in. Finally, she settled to go to bed and her last thought before sleep took her was that she had set up a date with Mannik...

Next morning, she prepared to meet with Anne that she had invited over, like a proper guest. Somehow, she spent a little more than needed in front of mirror and picking outfit - something not too flashy, yet not completely dull. Then again, her mind was already working on what she'd wear for date meeting with Mannik. When the other woman arrived, Adelmar greeted her with smile and led her to the guest room where tea and some sweets were already waiting for them. Sitting down in one of the comfortable chairs, she watched Anne for a moment and felt something like a pang of jealousy. She was beautiful, even more than in the pictures, with her soft, brown hair and observant eyes. If she would be to dressed up fancily, she'd probably be more shining that many of the noble ladies. Adel guessed she'd remain in her shadow, too. And yet Mannik had not wanted to be with her? It was strange thought...

"I hope you find your housing comfortable?" she inquired with polite smile after few other pleasantries, "if not, I can try to find some place else for you." Adelmar paused and took a sip of her tea, trying to pick up a thread of conversation about this quite awkward subject. "I understand that it is your family that insists on you marrying, but if you are to oblige, could you tell me something about the kind of man you'd like to see by your side?" God, she felt like novice matchmaker. 'Here fill this form and let us find the perfect man for you!' Only she had little of hope to do that.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-29-2015, 05:50 PM

Although he was trying not to show it, Mannik was tensed as he waited for her response. When she gave her time, the man beamed, visably relaxing, and nodding. He let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. "I'll be there...." He stated, filled with elation for the first time in a long time. She wanted to see him! Wanted!

There was even a tiny smile on her face. Mannik felt happier than he could ever remember being. He delayed the conversations as long as he could, not wanting her face to disappear. But, eventually, he nodded at her, and rubbed his head. "Alright...thank you, Adelmar...for...for calling. And for inviting me there...I'll...I'll see you soon." He sounded like a school boy on his first date, uncertain, and unable to look at her. After she hung up, the man was giddy with joy, until he glanced around again.

He was fooling himself, really. What would this become? It wasn't like he just wanted to bed Adelmar. He wanted to hold her, and make her smile. He wanted to be the one to cheer her up after a bad day. He wanted much more than to just lay with her. (Although, that would be nice too.) He was going to end up hurt after this. So why wasn't he even asking himself whether or not he should go? Of course he would go. Even if he knew how hurt he'd be.

Anne was a fairly pretty female. Short and slim, with the typical brown hair and eyes of Below. Her features were petite and feminine, and her eyes were bright, however, which gave her a certain beauty. Her clothing was drab, although it was clean. For some reason, the white and brown servant clothing only seemed to accentuate her large eyes and pale skin.

She seemed slightly taken aback when greeted by Adelmar, however, she obviously knew the basic courtesy's in Above. She followed Adelmar into the guest room, enjoying the tea politely. After Adelmar finished speaking and questioned her, Anne looked at her hands sheepishly. "Uhm...well...no...I wish to be married...uhm...but...I...can't..." Anne blushed prettily and glanced away. "He's a noble. Lesser, but...still noble. So, I can't marry him..."

She shifted, tucking the edges of her dress under her legs. "So...I suppose I just want someone who can take care of me. I don't want to have to scrub floors or dishes for anyone else ever again!" She brought a finger to her lips thoughtfully. "Oh...the family is quite nice, thank you. Really, though, after that rat's nest in Below, any place here is just fine for me to stay in!" Anne giggled, as if she'd shared a secret. "But, thank you very much. "

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 PM

Adelmar found that in a way, they both were stuck in reversed versions of same situation. She had to marry a noble for that is what someone of her status was meant to do and she had her house to save, whereas Anne had to just marry someone who would treat her well, because she couldn't have the man as he was of higher status. The outcome was the same - loveless marriage. At least she personally didn't have to long for another person to be standing by her side instead of Zenon... And despite this thought, her mind immediately went to Mannik and mentally, girl sighed. Her own head was not making much of sense these days.

"Mind if I ask if the feelings are not... reciprocated or it is his parents objecting?" she inquired, taking another sip of the tea. If it was the latter, maybe, just maybe... No, she couldn't help this woman marry her love, her position in society far too weak to persuade even some lesser nobles to let their son marry for his feelings rather than money. But still, Adel decided she'd find out who it was and inspect the situation eventually. She had taken up a responsibility over this woman and she'd be serious about it.

"Rat's nest?" Adel echoed with slightly raised brow. Had she meant whole Below, which wasn't entirely fitting way to describe it then, or Mannik's home in particular. From the little she had seen and the man had told her, he'd been trying hard to fix it up. If Anne was calling that rat's nest, she felt like Mannik was insulted needlessly and barely resisted urge to scoff. "I will do my best to find some suitable partners for you and contact you when I have a list," she informed the other woman with polite smile.

When Anne had departed, Adel prepared for another conversation she wasn't looking forward to much. But she had learned that sometimes, you just had to do something not just sit around and wait for things to fall your way. Or at least she was trying to live by this lesson, also remembering that patience could be the most important virtue in securing victory.

While she waited fro Zenon to arrive, she had moved into the hobby room, sitting down to play some on the piano. It had been a while since she simply had time to do something she liked, yet, there was a bundle of anxiety in her stomach and the girl couldn't enjoy herself very much. Normally, she wasn't nervous about meeting her fiance, but then she wasn't also going to question him and generally stand up to the man. When the maid arrived to inform that Mr. Hadar Junior had arrived, Adelmar sighed in relief.

Soon, the pair had settled in patio and Adel noted that Zenon looked kind of... distant, even tired, although he was grinning as always. They exchanged pleasantries, he asked about the home and made fun of her last night's party guests, before silence settled between the two. "Well, what are you waiting for?" he inquired with cocked eyebrow, "Let's get to the point."

"I have information that you have delivered to Below," Adelmar started and before she could finish, the man straightened up with slight scowl. "Well, you were last person I expected to have offensive tone about that," he snapped. "I am not against you doing such a thing, but I would like to know your reasons," she replied calmly. "Why would that matter to you or anyone else, as long as the poor victims of injustice are helped?" there was a nasty note in his voice that quickly angered Adelmar, although she managed to keep hers steady even as she went for open attack.

"This mockery is exactly the reason I doubt you actually have any intentions of helping them! How long it will suit your fancy to play benefactor and dance on the edge of risk? Will you just betray every last bit of information you have to your parents or maybe use it maliciously yourself when you grow bored?" Zenon just stared at her, so she continued. "How can I - or Commander, for that matter - trust you when everything in your life is ruled by your ever-changing whims? No wonder she wishes to have nothing to do with you or the games you play where only your satisfaction matters."

He jumped up with a snarl, eyes dark and filled with anger (and hurt?), and Adel stood up, too, staring at the man unflinching. "You contacted that Mannik guy again, didn't you? What is wrong with you? He kidnapped and hurt you, was ready to kill you, but now you act like he is your best and most trustworthy friend!" he hissed. "You are the last person who can ask me that! You have treated me like an item, lied and ignored me, bedded other women and still expected absolutely loyalty and support, which you also usually received. What is wrong with you?" she replied, hands balled into fists by her sides.

"I treated you only the way you expressed yourself," the man snarled at her, "never have you been more than obedient doll, just waiting till you got my last name and could bring glory to your worthless house that could never maintain what they got in no more honorable means that mine have! Are you ready to put aside your own hopes for good, warm position in the society and redeeming your dear grandparents' names for sake of some people you don't know and that would rather see you killed than side with you?"

The words hit her where it hurts, just like hers had done for Zenon, but now was not the time to show it. "Maybe I am willing to move past my own selfishness, but are you? Or is it all just done in hopes for good lay because you've already visited beds of all other women here aside from mine? If you think she would have you like this, then you are solely mistaken! She has more self-respect than to bed a womanizing, good-for-nothing, haughty pr**k!" Her cheeks flushed as she had never cursed before and the anger had finally got the best of her. Zenon looked taken aback and then turned to leave.

"You really have changed," he spoke, turning back. "I wish I could say the same about you," Adel replied and when the man was gone out of the sight, slumped in her chair, hands covering her face. What on Earth she was doing? Picking fights with man who could destroy her life easily should he chose to... No, she had her advantage, she could prove he was playing against his parents and city, if needed be, and put herself in victim's role. Still, should she? There had been bitter truth in his words. It was true that aside from Mannik, there was no one in Below that wished well to her. She doubted even Commander had warm feelings for her.

But Mannik believed in the rights of his people and although she didn't have high opinion of humanity, wouldn't those people at least deserve a chance to live better? The nobles didn't need half of what they had to live comfortably and even in luxury, but if that was given to those in need... Of course, someone would always want more, but for that was government and laws? Oh, ridiculous, when had it ever worked? Adelmar shook her head. This was getting out of hand. Everything, really. But for now, she would take one day at a time. And tomorrow, she had date, well, meeting with Mannik and that had to be her priority.

And as such, she treated the preparations. It was silly, really, the way she picked her outfit carefully and even applied a bit of makeup, made a hair-do, the evening before and had the house emptied of the servants cleverly. It was wildly inappropriate that she was going to meet a man alone at her house, but then again everything about their... friendship was 'wrong' and it was not like they were couple or anything of the sort.
Adelmar's outfit

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 AM

Anne stared at Adelmar as if the other woman was slow of learning. "Rowan loves me!" She stated defensively. "He told me so! I never would have agreed to marry anyone else if he hadn't begged me to. He said he couldn't take care of me as he wished if he had to get married to a noble..."

She looked rather sad, and welcomed the subject change. "OH! It was so horrible!" Anne shivered and continued. "Yes ma'am...if you pardon me saying so, but I can understand how out of place you must have felt there. I mean, as far as I understand it...Mannik is your friend, right? Although he kidnapped you? He didn't want to talk about it, but surely you saw his home? It's...oh, it was horrible! I felt like crying every night. He didn't even have wallpaper! And he seemed so proud of those rickety walls. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was so bad..." The female shivered, and finished the conversation politely, giving Adelmar another curtsy before departing with a smile.

~</3~

As usual, the soldier arrived early, although he didn't approach Adelmar's house just yet. He ran a couple of errands, and finally paused by her house. He had been nervous and on edge the past few days. It seemed like Adelmar was more open to at least conversing with him. He hoped it wasn't just from the alcohol, although to be honest, he expected the female to turn him away when he did arrive.

Sarah hadn't supported him going. He had told her about it when she forced him into the weirdest training ever: Dancing. He had no idea why the red headed woman was so intent on him learning to dance, but she forced him through various kinds repeatedly. Mannik's feet were still sore from Sarah stepping on his feet. For insisting he learn how to dance, she was a horrible teacher. Mannik was awfully proud at how good he seemed to be at it, though.

His arrival in Above was the first time he could recall disobeying her. Sarah had forbidden him to see her. But here he was anyway. Although it was nothing like she would be used to, and nowhere near as nice as what Zenon would have, he had gotten his hands on a uniform that fit him decently. His shoes were still rather rugged boots, though. He tugged the shirt and attempted to flatten his hair, although the strands hopped right back up.

His emerald eyes stared intently at the house, and he glanced nervously at the sky. The sun was fading, and he needed to make up his mind. He had no idea if Adelmar was watched, and had no idea whether he should enter through the front door or the backdoor. Finally, in case she was being watched, Mannik made his way to the backdoor, chewing on his lip.

Why was he so nervous? It was just Adelmar. She would either turn him away, and Mannik would oblige and shove the pain away, or he would see her house and things would go just fine. Either way, it didn't end up with her in his arms. He needed to remember that.

Mannik sighed, and glanced down at himself, feeling stupid and silly, before finally gathering himself and knocking gently on the door.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 PM

She was feeling unnecessary nervous about this whole thing, suddenly regretting having invited Mannik over. Not because she didn't want to see him anymore, but because what was he going to think about her? Showing off the wealth that may seem little among other nobles will seem like vast riches for him, she will have proved that she is as bad as everyone else from Above. Just what had gotten into her?? Then again, she had never directly invited him, just mentioned she would like for the man to see a bit more of her life than that unfortunate incident. Either way, there was no chance she could back out of it now and it would be even worse to make Mannik feel like he wasn't welcome.

Adelmar wasn't sure how he planned to arrive and which doors he would use, but she guessed he wouldn't just waltz up to the front doors. (What ridiculous word choice, he probably didn't know how to dance... But then again, she had thought he wouldn't know what chess was, too.) So, when the knock came to the back doors, she was already near. Before opening, young woman paused to take deep breath as if she was about to jump in cold water; considering what a bad swimmer she was, it was a truly scary thought for her.

And although she had planned and even rehearsed in her mind the original greeting, when Mannik came in view, the words got stuck in her throat. He looked... Nice, even more than that. Although the uniform was clearly not made for him, it suited the man well enough and it was apparent he had really put effort in his looks which she hadn't really expected, despite having dressed up for the event herself. Somehow, the thought made bashful smile appear on her face, followed by blush. "Hello Mannik, I am glad you came. Please, come in," she found her voice a moment later, tucking one of the curls behind her ear needlessly.

She led him through the rooms, one by one, sometimes stopping to tell a story about some painting or piece of furniture that she had apparently inherited from her grandparents. It was obvious that one of her favorite rooms was the library that had actual books in it, not all the ones they used to have before father started selling them to collectors in attempt to even his debts, but the ones that had remained in the main mansion, some that she had hid away before Maksym got his greedy fingers on them and from few other houses. Eventually, the tour came to the patio where she stopped by one of the columns, feeling that there were things she had to say before she took him to the music room. Ahead of them, the garden with some freshly planted trees and flowers as well as holographic plants glistened, adorned with tiny lights and illuminated by the moonlight.

After a moment of silence, Adel decided to get straight to the point. "I fear you will think of me poorly now, seeing the comfort I have taken so easily for granted, while even simplest human needs are denied to your people. I truly did not mean to show off, I merely wished to... share something I hoped you would enjoy." She turned to look at him with nearly vulnerable expression, hoping that Mannik would understand.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 02-01-2015, 12:50 AM

The door opened, and Mannik let out a breath as Adelmar was the one opening it. She smiled, and Mannik felt some nervousness leave him. So far, so good.

The breath he had let out, he sucked back in once he got a good look at her. It was the first time he had seen Adelmar in something other than black. It seemed to accentuate the startling grey eyes she had. It was easy to forget when he was staring at her on a screen, but she was so amazingly beautiful in real life.

Mannik gave her a nod, and a quick smile when she spoke, once again feeling rather self conscious. He followed her inside, looking intently at everything she pointed out. His hands were stuffed deeply in his pockets, however, and he seemed to make an effort not to bump into anything. While he enjoyed her talking and showing him things, he kept his face neutral, and looked around for bugs in her new place.

To be honest, it was Hell, having to walk through her house. Adelmar had gotten all of this without him, and it was far, far more than Mannik could ever give her. Still, he smiled and nodded, asking questions. He attempted to keep from looking at her too long, however, when she glanced away, he couldn't resist staring at her for longer than he should have.

When he was finally led to the patio, he leaned on the railing, staring into the darkness. Trees. Adelmar had real trees and flowers. Mannik rubbed his head, and sighed, glancing at her when she started speaking.

"It's not showing off. And it's not being greedy." Mannik shrugged, and glanced back inside. "Everyone would live like this if they could. You aren't keep anyone from living like this, and it's not like you are rubbing it in their faces. It's just what you've been given..." Mannik paused, looking back at Adelmar. Unable to help himself, his eyes shifted to her lips, and his tongue swiped his own lips before his voice softened. "I could never think badly of you. Never even crossed my mind..." He attempted to smile, before looking back over the garden again. He had thought, before entering her home, that he would invite her Below, although he was sure she wouldn't accept. Now, though, even picturing her in his shabby hole in the ground was laughable. So, Mannik kept that thought to himself. "It's beautiful. Really. Especially out here..." Mannik nodded to one of the trees. "I like them."

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-01-2015, 02:12 AM

It was still surprising how simply accepting he was of everything she did and said. But how long would it last? When would he grow tired of her unintentionally snobbish ways, inability to help and move away from this strange friendship-thing she was trying to create or perhaps to maintain? Could it really last, between two people so unlike and coming from such different worlds? Especially with the war that surely would arrive one day for all the unrest that was brewing Above and Below wouldn't remain inside people forever. Eventually, it would explode like boil, pus of anger and hatred spewing out.

"But I did use to think that once I restored my family's name old glory, I would find some kind of happiness. Now that I look back, it seems so foolish. Even if there is something after death and my grandparents are looking down at me, it is not them I should be trying to make happy with regained society status, but rather the ones that still have to live here and now," young woman had turned so that she faced him, head tilted upwards slightly so she could look in Mannik's green eyes. Unless she was losing her very last ability to read people, there was sadness in them. How had he managed with this well-hidden sorrow change most of her worldview and become someone she wanted to see smile?

When the man said he could never think bad about her, she laughed softly and shook her head slightly. "You did not think of me very highly when you came to take me, of that I am sure. Not that you had any reason to, but still. What was it that you called me the first night? A pain?" It hadn't even been that long ago, in which moment had her anger turned into a kind of sympathy and worry for him? The moment he came back to their hideout with wound he trusted her to sew? Or that moment he pulled her out of bullet's way? "No matter, I am glad you like it. I have few more things to show you later." Honestly, Adelmar didn't want to move anywhere right now, it was good to just stand here and talk, almost like two normal people in normal world where neither of them would be shot dead on the spot if seen together.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 02-01-2015, 02:30 AM

Mannik fidgeted uncomfortably, and shrugged. "Everyone has to have some kind of goals. You're are understandable. You don't have to strive for food or see people in pain everyday. It's easy to forget when something isn't staring you in the face..." He paused, trying to find the words. "It's loyalty. I'm loyal to Below. You are loyal to your family. It's admirable, even if we don't see eye to eye on everything. And you will reach your goal. After you...you know..." Mannik rubbed his head. "Zenon will be able to supply you with whatever you want."

He paused, his breath catching when the female looked back at him. Why did she have to be so gorgeous? "If it will make you happy to restore your social standing, then do it." Mannik shrugged and continued slowly. "I...didn't think you were different when I kidnapped you."

"If it helps at all...I didn't want to. It was just orders. I'm...I'm glad I did though...I wouldn't have met you otherwise. I'm sorry I called you a pain....I shouldn't have. You weren't a pain. You know, except for me getting stabbed for you and stuff." Mannik grinned, once again leaning on the railing and looking over the garden. "I'll stay as long as you would like me to." He answered honestly. "Thank you. For having me. How have things been?"

Did she realize how torn he wan right now? Mannik wanted to run away from her and never look back, but he couldn't bring himself to leave her. Nothing was possible between them. Mannik's eyes shifted, peering at her from the corner of his eyes. Why couldn't he just walk away? He needed to find a way to kill these emotions.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-01-2015, 04:57 PM

She leaned slightly closer, taking every word with great interest. Strange, she had always taken herself for the realist that easily put everything in its places, be it the few emotions she experienced, yet lately the girl had had problems with that and now, Mannik was the one that laid it down so simply before her. Still, Adelmar visibly stiffened when her future marriage was brought up, the expression that had been quite open closing up some as she averted her gaze from the man. It was miserable that her only means to obtain something she wished was through marriage. Long ago, she had read that women used to fight for their rights to be something more than pretty adornments on their men arms, yet now many willingly succumbed to this role.

"If being the keyword here, Mannik. I used to think that making my grandparents proud, repaying their kindness with regaining their lost power would give me at least some sort of happiness, but now... I do not know what would anymore," she sighed softly, glancing sideways at the man. "In truth, I fear they would already deem me failure and traitor, if they knew the things I am doing, planning. I suppose, my nightmare that first night was prophetic in a sense." Young woman did not elaborate on it any further, the cold stare of her grandfather still vivid in her mind. Zenon's words had brought the memory back up and now she was left trying to sort out where her true loyalty laid and how to combine the still deeply instilled need to prove herself to Above, yet aid Below.

"I used to dream about running away when I was younger. But I realized I was not smart or talented enough to make myself a quiet, but good life in another city. But perhaps I would have tried, if I was afraid that my father would kill me if Hadars ever found me and brought me back," she told him, in a moment of honesty, thoughtful sadness reflecting in her eyes for a moment, before it was gone.

Adel smiled softly when he started to stammer again and for a moment, her eyes lingered on his lips. Mannik had said 'just once' before he had kissed her in the ship, but it had been such a fleeting thing, barely registering in her mind. What would it be like to truly kiss someone she wanted to kiss, someone who somehow understood and supported her, perhaps even liked her? Silly romance novels described it like tasting a bit of heaven, filling you with soaring feeling... Well, kisses between two people who loved one another, at least. It wasn't that she loved Mannik, the word far too strong and scary for her to consider, but she would be lying if she said she didn't feel attracted to him right now. With his unsure, yet kind words and eyes greener than any other person's she had ever seen, she just wanted to bask in his attention and make him smile that shy grin she had seen via call. It was absurd, but she felt safe with him, each time he had taken care of her clear in her mind.

"Well, I am glad if I have managed to show not every person Above is the same," she told him, now staring at the garden with slight flush on her cheeks from her thoughts. Good thing she still had some control over her expressions and behavior, or else he would be able to read these embarrassing ideas too easily from her. "I suppose I cannot expect to sort out my life and future in a single hour our night, so... Come, I have more things I want to show you," Adelmar told him with smile, gently tugging on his sleeve to follow her. The final destination of the tour was the hobby room, where was the piano and violin, as well as easel and things for embroidery while offering chance to simply relax. On one of the smaller tables was tray with sweets and even large cooling goblet with ice cream, pitcher with fresh juice.

Her smile widened when she turned to look at Mannik. "If you would like to, I could play something. I am not excellent musician, but I can hold a tune."

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 02-01-2015, 06:07 PM

Mannik stiffened as well, giving her a puzzled glance. What did she mean, if? Was she having second thoughts about marrying Zenon? The constant weight on his chest seemed to lift, but Mannik slammed it back down quickly. Adelmar would come to her senses soon enough. She was a smart woman. She knew he future, and her family's future, rested with the man who could give her everything she desired. She seemed confused right now, but it was most likely from the newfound freedom she had with her father dead. Mannik kept silent for this, although he wanted to question her about the nightmare.

It was clear she'd been talking about the first night in Below, when she'd woken with that slight gasp. It was something he missed too. Although he hadn't loved Anne, and she hadn't loved him, it had been remarkably nice to be comforted when he had woken from his own nightmares.

"Running doesn't solve anything. I'm glad you didn't, but I'm sorry you had to go through all of that..." Mannik stated awkwardly, rubbing the back of his head. Sentiment was still rather hard for him to express. He stiffened as her fingers brushed his arm as Adelmar tugged his sleeve, and gave a curt nod.

Mannik followed just as silently, glancing about curiously. He was clearly pleased with the room she had shown him, and glanced curiously at the table. It was food-that much was clear. But most of the items he didn't recognize. His gaze shifted back to her, and Mannik couldn't help but smile.

While they didn't have very many instruments Below, they had music. Singing was very popular, and Mannik was rather good at it. It didn't have anything to do with his missions, so Mannik had quickly set it aside as a waste of time, but he enjoyed doing it when he was working on something, such as his house, when he was alone. The chance to hear a piano and watch Adelmar light up like she just had was something he was not about to turn down.

"I'd love to hear you play..." Mannik finally admitted, giving her a smile, before stuffing his hands in his pockets, standing quietly.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-01-2015, 09:39 PM

She was more glad than she cared to admit that Mannik wanted to hear her play, although for a moment after she sat down at the grand instrument, Adelmar also felt flustered. What if he didn't like how she played? And what was she going to play anyway? Oh, this had been such a silly idea, really. But when her fingers touched the keys, woman relaxed and the melody began to weave easily as she played from memory. It swept away good deal of her worries and after a moment, she looked back at her only listener. It was strange to see him so focused on listening, and it nearly made her feel self conscious again, but Adel got over it in few next notes.

"Mannik!" she laughed, "either come closer or sit down and help yourself with some treats! Otherwise, you look like my teacher about to scold me for the wrong key!" Woman's tone was light, even teasing for this moment as she looked at him, fingers gliding over the keys and masterfully moving from one waltz to the next. Perhaps under Zenon's influence, Adelmar had grown to love the old dance music very much, just like she truly liked to dance. It was the only thing about balls she truly enjoyed and why any of the clubs and parties most girls her age wanted to go seemed absolutely uninteresting to her. It could as well be the romantic in her speaking although she usually kept that side of her under wraps.

After short consideration, she decided she could also sing for the man. She knew quite a few songs (gathered from various sources and some she had never played for anyone else to hear, as they were not 'classic') and as soon as the waltz ended, she began one of her favorite songs that wasn't quite sad, although with slight undertones of not quite the happy ending fairy tales usually spoke. Adelmar had always thought her voice sounded quite good, at least complimented her skills to play piano well enough.
Waltz 1, Waltz 2, Song piano cover and Song lyrics.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:02 PM

The male couldn't help but grin as Adelmar glanced back and laughed. A sharp pang filled his chest for a moment, but Mannik pushed it away, and stepped to the piano. He sat down on the edge of the bench, careful to put enough space between their bodies so he wasn't touching her. It made him nervous, being so close, and he was half hanging off the bench. Even with all of this, he was happier than he had been in a long time.

He listened as she played, before the music made sense. He rubbed his head, and glanced at her, attempting to keep the love-sick puppy expression off of his face. "You play wonderfully...this...this is a waltz, right? Commander Imhoff has been teaching me this dance..."

Mannik fell silent once again, listening to her play, his eyes on her face. She began to sing, and that pain returned. Mannik knew the song, and smiled. Whether Adelmar knew it or not, it was rather popular in Below, though it was sung much slower, and there were a few alterations.

He hesitated and debated for a few moments, before he joined in, singing quietly, and giving her a shy glance. He hadn't sang in front of someone for a long time. It felt rather...natural, however, to be sitting next to Adelmar and singing with her. He sang for a few moments, and then fell silent, giving her another shy glance before looking away quickly. It had probably been rude of him, and he should shut up and let her continue.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-07-2015, 01:02 PM

Adelmar moved on the side slightly to give him more space, glad that he decided to join her instead of backing away. This way, it was more like a normal interaction between two people and she could forget for a moment that they came from two worlds and should be at each other's throats... Not in a way Zenon would do it, too. When Mannik recognized the music and said his Commander had been teaching him to dance, her eyes widened slightly as did her smile. "It is indeed, but I am far from wonderful pianist! And she has? Hmm..." young woman's voice became nearly teasing at the hmm, as if she was plotting something. And perhaps she was.

When the man joined in the song, she nearly faltered, but managed to keep her voice steady and looked at him, giving an encouraging smile. He stopped soon, though, and Adel nudged him slightly and nodded at him as she continued sing, signalling for Mannik to join in. If he wouldn't, she'd stop singing to let him know openly that he should sing with her. Not only she had never sung this for anyone, but it had been years since anyone had sang anything with her. Back in school, girls sometimes did for class' sake, but that was all. Somehow, the simple fact she could truly share the music with Mannik filled her with giddiness and the girl didn't want the song to end any time soon.

It did, however, and for moment she sat there, her fingers still on the keys, as she tried to memorize the feeling she had just had. Then she turned to the man, smiling. "You have a wonderful singing voice, Mannik," woman told him earnestly. "Now..." she stood up from the stool and moved to the desk where she fiddled with one of the devices for a short while and waltz played by full orchestra came to play, filling the room with its melody. "I think we should test those new dancing skills of yours." Adelmar grinned and then suddenly stammered: "well, if you want to, of course. I am not ordering you to..."

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 02-07-2015, 01:31 PM

At the nudge, Mannik had glanced over, almost shyly, before joining back in. He was used to singing with a group. With they had celebrations Below, a group of people would usually sing, but, for some reason, in the empty room, with both of them sitting on the bench, and Adelmar bathed in the bright light of the room, it felt far too intimate to be comfortable. It seemed to make her happy, though, so Mannik obliged, staring at the smile on her face.

His face turned back away, feeling rather nervous, though he smiled when she told he had a nice voice. Mannik gave a modest shrug, turning back, his eyes following her as she moved. He stood next to the bench, leaning curiously to try and see what she was playing with. With the music filled the air, he flinched. His feet seemed to throb whenever he heard any kind of waltz now.

A smile quickly formed however, and he stepped to the middle of the room. "You aren't going to break my toes, right?" He joked, holding out his hand for the female. The joke was an attempt to cover up the beats his heart seemed to skip before it sped up quickly. Dancing with Sarah was a chore. Dancing with Adelmar. Well...he doubted it would be the same. Besides, it would be a chance to touch her a forget that they were so different, even if it was just for a few minutes. "Well, then..." Mannik's voice cracked for a moment, and he paused and cleared his throat before trying again. "Make sure to point out my mistakes, alright? I'm trying to get better, after all..."

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 PM

She put her hand lightly in his, suddenly realizing this was their first skin-to-skin contact she had initiated in some way, aside from that kiss on cheek. Normally, she was not particularly shy about touching people, but aside from dancing, it was considered inappropriate with strangers. Not that Mannik was a stranger... And no matter how the girl tried to put him in box labelled 'friend', it didn't quite fit him either. Blush crept high into her cheeks as she looked up at him, Zenon's voice suddenly swimming up and saying something about how waltz had been considered inappropriate dance long, long ago for how close the two partners were, but Adelmar pushed the thought away. Zen was the last person she wanted to think about right now.

"I have been told I have light step, so hopefully no harm will come to your toes," young woman joked back, but in nearly distracted manner as she looked up at Mannik with slightly lowered lashes. It was just a dance, she had danced with so many, of higher and lower status than her, why did it feel so important and intimate now? Because it was just the two of them, maybe? In any case, her heart was beating fast in her chest as she nodded at his suggestion and he then swept her away in dance. One (he looked slightly flustered, too) - two (he held her more reverently than anyone had ever thought of doing) - three (she felt both happy and shy because of that). One (romance novels were getting to her head again) - two (but, really, what if...?) - three (would she be willing to have her life consist of wonderful one-nights like these?).

They only had a serious fumble when one waltz ended and another started with no break, when both of them couldn't get into right rhythm immediately, but aside from eliciting laugh from Adelmar, it brought no harm to either of their feet. As she had said, she had light and quickly adjusting step, avoiding small disasters even if he did a misstep or two. "Commander has taught you well," she told Mannik and mentally grimaced when her tone didn't come out as lighthearted as she had wanted to. Why her professional acting never worked around him as intended, Adel didn't know. It just didn't. Still, she wasn't jealous that Commander had got the chance to teach the man how to dance, it wasn't like she had thought she would tonight... Really, she hadn't.

When next waltz ended and music quieted, she didn't move away from Mannik right away, just enjoying that safe feeling he always gave her, especially when touching her. He was much stronger than her, that young woman knew, but still always so gentle with her that it always surprised her. Looking up at him, her gaze lingered on his lips (what if, just once?) for split second, before moving to his green eyes. "It was lovely, thank you," Adel finally spoke up. "Perhaps you would like some snacks now?"

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 02-07-2015, 09:00 PM

Although Mannik visibly tensed when Adelmar gently set her hand in his, he didn't drop her hand or comment. But, as soon as she did, it was like Mannik had been shocked. The woman stepped closer for the dance, and Mannik stared down at her. It felt hot, and was awfully hard to breath.

Still, his other hand lifted, and seemed to hover above her hip, Mannik rather nervous about touching her. She was a much better dancer than Sarah was, and Mannik didn't have to force himself to think about the steps. It was almost a natural feeling to him.

Even when the song ended, he didn't want to let her go. He fumbled slightly, until they both regained their footing. He didn't speak, but a small smile perched on his lips as the female giggled.

When Adelmar finally spoke, it seemed to break Mannik out of a trance. He blinked down at her, still unable to look away. His smile melted slightly, and he nodded slowly. "Thank you. I didn't realize how nice dancing could be with a decent partner..." The music ended, and for once she didn't seem so eager to get away from him.

Mannik was staring once again. It was amazing how lost he felt when he looked at the swirling storm clouds that made up her eyes. She was so beautiful, so level headed and put together. Although it was probably a trick of the light, her eyes seemed to focus on his lips for a moment, before flicking up to his eyes. Unable to help himself, Mannik licked his lips quickly. His head lowered slightly, before the soldier came to his senses.

His hand dropped hers, and his other one slid off of her waist reluctantly. Mannik stepped back, and glanced at his palms. They felt so tinglie. He stuffed them into his pocket and nodded, his head still lowered slightly, so his bangs could cover his eyes. His mouth opened, but nothing came out. Mannik closed it quickly, and cleared his throat. "Yes...it was lovely. Thank you. I...uhm...yes...snacks." He wanted to run away. Run away from this enchanting woman and her affects on him, but it was like he was trapped in some spell of hers. Despite the desire to flee, he couldn't bring himself to. Unsure what to do, his head swiveled towards the table, but Mannik made no move to take anything.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 PM

"I think that applies to most of the life," she replied to his commentary about dancing becoming enjoyable with the right (alright, Mannik hadn't used that word, but for the moment she liked to think he had) partner, blushing slightly again. Books spoke of couples that could weather any storm together, that were one another's light and strength. She had never dreamed of such love, had deemed it impossible, settled for the simply only available option - Zenon's arm around her waist with no warmth in the touch or his blue eyes. How different it felt to be held, even like this, with Mannik, who looked at her like she was something beautiful, precious. No one had ever made her feel like that aside from him and when she stared in his green eyes, she could even believe that he was right on some level, that she was worth more than item meant to trade away.

And she wanted him to be able to keep that smile forever, not for it to slowly fade away as it was doing now. When he licked his lips, her throat suddenly became a little tight and her gaze fell down to his mouth again. He was leaning in and moving away was the last thing on Adelmar's mind. Instead, her eyes fluttered half-shut and perhaps she even tilted her head up to him... But it didn't matter, because in matter of seconds, the moment was shattered and the man had retreated. Blush became even brighter on her cheeks, something that she had no control over no matter how composed young woman would act or talk.

Perhaps, if she wasn't so sensible, if there was just a bit more of courage in her, she'd pull him in for that kiss, but this was Adelmar. She could do no such thing, it would only cause pain for them both... And that was the last thing she wished. Although it was also natural instinct to protect her already quite battered feelings, to be cause of Mannik's pain would be even worse. And what could come out of this... this affair that spun around her mind like annoying fly? Oh no, it was more like the most enticing butterfly she had ever seen, nearly begging for her to extend her hand and let the little miracle land on her finger. But she had to keep control, for both of their sake, just like he did. So, woman moved to sit down by the table and with smile (although it didn't mask slight sadness entirely) gestured for the man to join her.

"Below, I mentioned ice cream, so I thought we could share some of that," she said, tone nearly too bright to sound real. Beautiful engraved silver-like cooler goblet contained vanilla, strawberry and chocolate and she took spoon, scooping a bit of each kind in it and Adel closed eyes in pleasure at the lovely taste. It also gave her something else to focus on than Mannik and what could (couldn't) be. To keep the conversation going, she started to talk about the history of chocolate and ice cream, how the latter was such an ancient treat no one could quite figure who came up with it, but the first kinds seemed to be simply ice flavored with juices of fruits and its victory spread in Europe started in Italy, where people would roll snow down from mountains and store in caves to use for creating this delicious treat later in the hot summers.

She didn't want this night to end, to be honest. But it had to eventually, did it not? Still, at least while there was any cake or ice cream left, she wouldn't bring that subject up at all.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM

"I...suppose it could...yes..." Mannik answered quietly, avoiding looking at the female now. Adelmar was blushing brightly. A sign Mannik took to mean he had pushed too far once again, so he was rather glad when they were separated. It was impossible, really, for them to be friends. It was just what Adelmar wished, and Mannik was starting to think he couldn't tell the woman no.

She changed the subject, and Mannik eagerly grabbed ahold of the new subject, moving to the table with her and sitting down tensely. His eyes moved over the food slowly. It made him feel bad, to be sitting in front of desserts like this when some people Below had stomach cramps from the lack of food.

But again, there was the problem of telling her no. Mannik sighed, and followed the woman's lead, spooning some 'ice cream' into a bowl. He hesitated, and glanced at her, and back down. "It's cold. Really cold." He muttered. Ice was unknown Below. Mannik knew of it, but had never even tried some. Another slight hesitation, before he spooned some into his mouth. His eyes widened slightly, and the ice cream vanished before Adelmar had finished telling about the history.

The soldier flinched, and made a face, before his hand went to his head. It felt like a really strong headache was clashing against his head, but then his mouth was burning too. Ice cream was bad. Ice cream was very bad! It tasted amazing, but Mannik wasn't sure why it caused him so much pain. Still, not wanting to upset Adelmar, the male stayed quiet about it.

It took a few minutes for the headache to fade, and Mannik glanced ruefully at the empty bowl. It had tasted so good. He wasn't going to be greedy and go for more though. Instead, he licked his lips. "Really good...thank you...I...I have a long day tomorrow...I should probably be going...." He had nothing planned for tomorrow. But, he had reached his limit. There was only so much torture Mannik could take. "Thank you...for...having me..." Why did this feel so awkward? "Your house is...it's beautiful..."

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM

When he practically complained that it was cold, she giggled softly. "Yes, it is especially perfect for hotter summer days, but I indulge myself even when the weather has turned for worse," young woman admitted and after that, the conversation rolled swiftly, like one of her dearly loved pebbles down a hill. But Adelmar stopped abruptly when the man winced and touched his head. Her eyes went wide and a laugh bubbled in her throat before she blushed slightly and hurriedly explained her 'unbecoming' attitude so Mannik wouldn't feel insulted.

"I am sorry, I am not laughing at you, it is just so nice to see you so... eager," Adel spoke, a hint of wistfulness in her tone, before she turned 'all business' again. "You just ate too fast and caught 'brain freeze' from the ice cream. Drink some of the juice, it is warmer than the ice cream and should help to relief the feeling. Or try pressing tongue against roof of your mouth and tilting your head back for a bit," she instructed him, having tested the methods herself since her first few encounters with delicious, icy treat had ended very similarly.

When the man finally felt better and spoke of leaving, her expression shifted to saddened one before the woman managed to conceal her feelings. "Ah, of course. I am sorry I took away so much of your time..." The pair finally stood up and she led him down to the back exit, where the young woman hesitated, before tiptoeing and pressing cool lips to his cheek. "Thank you for coming, I had... absolutely lovely time. The best I have had in years," she told him as she pulled back in flash of honesty. He deserved to know. And oh how she wished to just hug him, show that she truly meant those words. "Please, stay safe." Adel's tone was nearly pleading now, eyes showing more emotions than she usually dared to share.

Once Mannik left, she closed doors behind him and rested her back against them with heavy sigh. It was over now. This lovely, achingly beautiful night was over. And would never be repeated. Because life would pull them apart and it wouldn't be fair to either of them to tug on their feelings like this. Although she wasn't thinking Mannik truly harbored some deeper affections for her, she guessed that having the stark difference of their lives rubbed in his face was probably still quite bitter. Nevertheless, she had memorized each moment of tonight and would return to it when she felt lost, alone and sad, as a reminder that there were fleeting, beautiful things in life.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 PM

Mannik had hurried to do as instructed to make the sudden pain in his head go away, however, he looked taken aback as she continued. Eager? His gaze flickered to her, and away quickly.

Similarly, he stiffened as he said goodbye, feeling her soft lips brush against his cheek. "It was my pleasure...." He finally managed to choke out. There were a million things he wanted to say, but the same million things shouldn't be said. "Don't apologize. I wouldn't have come it I hadn't wanted to." That wasn't entirely true. Even if he hadn't wanted to, he would have for her. Once again, Mannik felt oddly frustrated with himself for being unable to leave her be. "Plus, it's not like I have much going on in my life." The male attempted to joke, and pasted a smile on his face. He shifted on his feet awkwardly, unsure of how to say goodbye to her.

Finally, Mannik settled on a nod of his head. "Take care of yourself, alright? If you need anything...you...you know how to reach me." The soldier wasn't a fool. This was the only excuse he would have for visiting her, and now it was gone. Adelmar had been drunk when she'd called him. It wasn't like she'd do it of her own free will. Why can't you call her? Ugh...Idiot. She doesn't want to talk with you..! It's gotta be some game to her... Mannik couldn't help but flinch as he walked away.

Adelmar didn't seem cruel, but he could picture it all to well: The sun light up those cold grey as as she sat next to another girl sipping coffee and eating ice cream, while Adelmar giggled about the boy from Below she was leading on. Mannik snorted at the stars, and shook his head. Yeah, right. He wouldn't even be in her mind on at a time like that. He'd just damage her reputation.

Soon, he was back in his house, pacing and glaring at the stupid walls. No wonder Anne hadn't liked his house. He'd tried, and managed to fall short once again. He was so stupid. The male ended up throwing a large temper tantrum, before climbing into his bed with a sigh. Still...he had that memory or the dance...and the garden... That was why he couldn't leave her. Just the slimmest glimmer of hope that another beautiful moment with her would arrive.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-21-2015, 08:32 PM

While Adelmar and Mannik spent time coming closer to each other and realizations that could very well break their hearts, Zenon was having a night of revelations as well. It had started very simply, really. After being royally pissed off by Adelmar, he had spent rest of the day fuming around the mansion. His friends, inviting him for outing, got snapped at, his brother got mocked when Richard told the heir to get a grip on himself and he was just hair's width away from openly ignoring his parents once again. Dark haired woman's words spun around his head, the way she looked at him with barely hidden disdain and questioned his life choices. It wasn't first time that she hinted he was a good-for-nothing spoiled brat, but never had the young woman said it so openly and the reasons perhaps angered him more than her words alone.

It was all because of that idiotic wonder boy! He had managed to somehow get under Adelmar's skin, in her mind, and twist it, portraying him as a noble hero. Had he not done something good, delivering those supplies? But her and Sarah thought of his gesture as if he had committed the most horrible sin. In fact, Adel's comment about Commander not wanting to do anything with him because he was not 'trustworthy' had bit much deeper than he would like to admit. How could she know that the red haired vixen kept rebuffing his attempts to get closer to her, in every way? Although if not the idiotic genetic-freak, maybe things would have worked out differently in the end... But still! What was with everyone wanting him to be stiff, serious stick-up-his-a** type?

That night, he didn't send a message to Sarah, although for some reason he actually felt bad about that, which only made him angrier at everything. It was no secret that she had gotten some kind of wicked grip on him, but he was not about to become a carpet under her rather heavy boot. Next day, he managed to get a hold of himself and fell back in his light hearted routine and even asked his buddies out for a night of heavy partying, all expenses on him. That his grin was far from genuine, no one could really tell, because no one also bothered to.

The club was exactly how he liked it - large, filled with people and music so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. He tried to lose himself in the women that rubbed against him, both on the dance floor and by the bar where he took one drink after another, but nothing worked. Even worse, each time he saw flash of red hair his heart gave a funny little lurch although he knew it couldn't be Sarah and more than anything, he wanted to push those little who**s away from him. In the end, when alcohol had dulled his senses and brains enough, Zen picked one of the women. She had fake blonde hair with even faker neon highlights and bright pink contact lenses and decent body which he pretty soon had pressed against one of the back walls, their mouths mashed together as his hands roamed everywhere.

But it was wrong. She tasted wrong, smelled wrong, even her hair didn't have the right texture when his fingers got tangled in it and body didn't have that perfect mix of firm muscles and womanly curves Sarah's did. And when he tried to put this knowledge away, Commander's blue eyes swam up in his mind with disappointed, condescending look in them. Suddenly, with snarl he pushed the blonde away, disgust clear on his face as he rubbed his mouth with sleeve. "What's wrong?" chick asked, eyes wide. "I don't like even fake b**bs and there's not a single not plastic thing in you, could as well be using plastic doll," he snarled at her and moved past the stunned woman, heading straight for the door. He only paused to tell his buddies to keep partying and bartender to send check to him after, and because of that, no one asked why he was leaving early. They probably assumed he had gotten a partner and left to fool around for rest of the night.

After that, he headed straight home, just wanting to get some sleep. Or attempt to. Getting wasted in solitude to turn off thinking for a while sounded like a decent idea, too. Hadar heir didn't even nod a greeting to butler that opened doors for him and headed straight upstairs. He had passed his father's cabinet when something suddenly caught his attention. While the thick carpet muffled sound of any steps, the way heavy wood doors flung open with great force, smashing into wall was definitely audible. "Mr. Hadar! It would be good if you stopped acting like you owed me when you cannot even fund the project anymore!" a voice that Zenon didn't recognize snapped.

"Close the doors, will you?" his father replied in rather bored tone, although he could sense the tension underneath. Although usually Zen cared little for Senior's business, after recent discoveries, he decided this could be interesting and moved closer to the room where wall was slightly thinner, while keeping away from security cameras that the slightly paranoid Hadar had placed around the mansion. The doors were shut with loud thud and he missed part of the conversation before he could catch and understand both voices again.

"... If you are unable to give us funds anymore, I will simply put the project on open auction. I already have offers. There are many who would find genetically adjusted servants a great asset," said the stranger. "You are so impatient, my friend. It is question of few months before the conflicts erupt into war. There are just few tiny setbacks - someone has tipped off Below of traitors amongst them after their role in killing the Wislawa failed and then you will have funds and unlimited energy source. I doubt your facility will be able to use any of it up. And never threaten me again... After all, you are not the only one who could lead this project which, might I remind you, is far from perfect still. The servants still retain some free will or are physically weaker. Have you fixed that?" "No, but it is because we lack fun--" "I do not care for excuses. Why should I invest more money into something that does not give the requested results? But, fine, Richard will contact you tomorrow about another payment."

Zenon stood frozen to his spot, unable to move around the corner so he could see who was the man that rushed out of his father's cabinet without getting spotted. The fact that he was utterly dumbfounded also helped. Finally, he sneaked to his room where he filled glass to the top with golden liquor and sat down in his favorite chair. The conversation had not been longer than few minutes, yet revealed more to him than few week research had. Not only had Hadar Senior continued his genetic experiments, he had created nearly mindless people to... Most likely replace all people of Below that currently served in cities. Although he couldn't understand the importance of war in funding and fueling this, it sounded horrible enough. And he had wanted Adelmar dead! That his parents had no warm feelings for his fiancee, he knew, but to use her to start this war... No wonder his father had been so furious at him for rescuing her.

That night, he stayed up until dawn, thinking, scheming, plotting... There were many things that he could accept carelessly, as needed for Above, but what his father planned, it went beyond simple manipulation or even assassination. Truth be told, he had doubted that Sarah's story of Mannik's origins was actually valid until now. And even if he didn't care much for people of Below, there were lines even his father should not cross. The more he thought of this, the more Zenon felt sure about his decision.

In the morning, he sent a message to Sarah, still quite flirty, but serious undertones, explaining that until her birthday this would be last time he could contact her and that she shouldn't pay much attention to what shows in the news with a wink. And indeed, although yellow pages showed him at some party with women on each arm, he didn't as much as kiss them, although there were flirtatious whispers and promising grins. It was just a part of a game that he was playing, and it bore fruits when he accused his father of not trusting him with simple business things. Hadar Senior replied that his eldest would remain in shadow about many things until he proved to be a worthy heir. Zen had told him that he wasn't serious about any of those women... "That is the problem - you are never serious about anything. Prove to me that you are capable and perhaps things will change."

It was exactly what he had wanted to hear, although he acted angered and left in rush, slamming doors. Rest of week he toned his party animal side down a little, just enough to make it seem he was putting effort in it, and spent a lot of time with Adelmar. After all, they had things to plan... Not that she still trusted him, but when he told her what he had heard, her eyes had went wider than he had ever seen. Zenon kept to himself that Mannik was also a genetic experiment, since that was something to throw in her - their - faces at some point when he wanted to hurt them. Their conversations were heavy, especially the one about their marriage. They both were closer than ever to cancelling this engagement, but if they were to create a cover, it couldn't happen. Zen didn't know how she barely kept from crying in her room at that night and he also didn't need to know. Their new found alliance was shaky, but at least it existed.

Zenon also made sure that the little cottage and invitations were ready, in case Sarah did come with him to the ball. He was heading to Below on her birthday either way, after all he had warned he'd come. While he didn't know where to look for her and didn't want to raise much hassle, he could always head to the apartment complex and that's what he was doing now, again having hidden his ship away. It was stupid how much he wished she'd agree to this night, how much he wanted this one last, really free and carefree night in which to gain her trust... It would mean a lot for what he wanted to accomplish in future, 'professionally'... and perhaps also emotionally. Nearly nervous, his gloved hand twirled rose between his fingers, hidden behind his back as he entered the complex.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 PM

Commander Imhoff had seemed much happier lately, although she wouldn't admit why. Many people guessed she had a secret lover, although no one except Merrik was quite sure who. Truth be told, she hadn't even noticed the night Merrik left.

Sarah had looked forward to the nightly messages from Zenon far more than she would ever admit, although she never responded to them. When he missed a night, Sarah had stared at her pad for a long while, chewing her lip and wondering if, as she had always predicted, Zenon had given up and retreated to one of the floozies he seemed to attract.

"It's for the best." Sarah told herself multiple times. Zenon was an engaged man, and she'd always known that. It wasn't alright for her to want so much from him.

It was the same the next night, and Sarah's secret hope that perhaps Zenon had just been too busy the previous night faded. She didn't wait that time, snarling at the tiny box, and tucking herself into bed before staring at the smog in the sky, trying not to think about the sandy haired man located up there. She really, truly, hadn't expected his eventual disinterest would hurt so much.

It wasn't until she woke up from a bad night of sleep that Sarah saw Zenon's message. She wanted to chastise herself, feeling far too excited when she saw his message. She was far more relieved than she should be as well. Zenon was just busy right now.

Despite his message, Sarah couldn't help the scowls on her face with each new report showing the playboy with a woman on his arm. Even more than that, she couldn't help the jealousy and anger when she realized how much time he was now spending with Adelmar. Merrik seemed to mirror her mood when this happened, and when he wasn't working, no one could locate him. He had left Adelmar alone, unsure if she would have regrets about their night together. Just as Sarah told herself it was for the best, it was pretty much all Merrik thought about.

Although his message had said he wouldn't be able to contact her, when Sarah's birthday rolled around, she was rather surprised when a soldier appeared to tell her about the ship landing. Sarah sent him off, and arrived at the apartment complex before Zenon. This time, she would be the one prepared. It was funny, really, how she never knew if their meetings would be bliss or a horrible fight. It seemed like, when she expected one thing, it turned into the other.

She'd dragged a chair into the hallway, and was perching on it's back legs, her short legs pressing against the wall. Her arms were folded, and she didn't look over as the trapdoor creaked open, and footsteps filled the dust filled corridor. "Hullo, again, Mr. Hadar..." Sarah called out stiffly, feeling rather nervous for some stupid reason.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 PM

"So official, Sarah," he spoke in teasing tone, closing the trapdoor behind him. The rose was still hidden behind his back, Zenon made sure it stayed that way, although by posture of his wrist she could probably guess it was not a gun in his hand and there was no information anywhere of him being left handed, which was the hand holding the flower. He approached her slowly, drinking in her appearance quite openly. There was no way she couldn't see that shine of practically adoration in his eyes. Ah, yes, it was absolutely stupid how he had missed her grumpy face, but seeing it made him absurdly glad and the urge to tease her, to speak with her, to just be with her grew even keener, if it was possible.

"Are we back to the 'no touching' rule as well?" the man questioned with playful smirk. "It would make dancing rather hard, but if the birthday girl wishes so, I can try to oblige." Finally, he revealed the rose, touching the soft, red petal to her cheek and sliding it gently towards her mouth where it lingered, before he offered it for the woman to take it. Leaning in, admiration now mixed with mirth, Zenon continued: "I can also do the title and surname calling, if that's what you're into, Commander Imhoff."

The implications were said in low, suggestive tone. When she would finally take the rose, he hurried to warn her, again with seeming implications (although of different sort), that it had thorns so she should be careful. Of course, Hadar had scoured far and wide to find a flower fit for the Commander, one of the very few roses that still had thorns which was considered old-fashioned and even dangerous among many higher class people. But it was perfect for her - gorgeous yet able to protect herself, just like the woman he gave it to. Oh, the man didn't even realize how bad he had it yet.

Meanwhile, somewhere Above Adelmar was having a miserable night and she didn't even dare to call Mannik. Something in their night together had shifted, she could feel it, and she was afraid of hurting him and of what could happen if she did seek him out again, especially with the new burdens on her shoulders. If only she had someone to speak about all this, to share her pain and worries... But there was no one. She was alone, like always.

Being back in her parent's home, the home where she had suffered so much abuse, only helped it. Young girl was checking final things around the estate before it would be sold and, in a sense, saying good bye not only to her childhood, but years of youth as well. Soon, she would be married woman, even if those words would mean nothing, her life again fully focused on her duty, even if her thoughts seemed to wander completely wishful ways sometime.

What she didn't know, though, was that the old servant was carefully watching her, taking in not only what she was doing and where she was going, but also her form, dressed in simply black dress going a little under her knees, white laces surrounding the collar and end of sleeves.

Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 06-10-2015, 02:42 PM

The commander stood, and scowled, eyeing his arm bent behind his back. At this point, however, she was far too sure Zenon wouldn't harm her at this point. Still, she stiffened when his hand slid from behind his back, and seemed frozen when he touched her with the rose.

"Well..." Imhoff paused, holding the rose gingerly, and staring at it. She attempted to keep her face stern and calm, but to be honest, she could feel a blush rising, her cheeks burning a bit. "Touching and presumptuous. You seem to have enjoyed your time away with all those women and gained a new level of cockiness, hmm? As I said before, I've no way to get a dress. There's no balls in my future." She didn't seem bitter, just matter of fact. She'd also gotten in her little sting referring to all the woman, including Adelmar, that Sarah had seem him with on the news.

Her eyes flickered to Zenon, barely concealing her anger. Still, seeing the man here, in front of her, made other emotions swirl faster. Why did he torment her so? Again, thoughts of Zenon simply being a spy infiltrated her mind, and Sarah turned away quickly, glancing at the rose.

"What are you intentions with this visit, then?" A birthday surprise seemed far too farfetched to be plausible. Plus, Merrik was off and about somewhere, and Sarah had no clue where. The boy seemed far too wrapped up with work when she did see him, but that didn't mean he wouldn't explode if he discovered Sarah with Zenon. Especially since he seemed to finally have given up Adelmar.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 PM

Her words were like water for duck, his smile still bright enough to blind a person, although through his teasing, a note of seriousness shined through. "Oh, Commander Imhoff, could not keep away from yellow pages despite my request?" He put hand to his heart, as if he had been wounded, but then leaned closer to her with mischievous expression that slowly turned into back into that admiring one. Ah, she was beautiful when she was angry and jealous, and no one would convince him other than she was being jealous.

"As much as I adore seeing you jealous, I assure you, it was nothing more than work. Now, however, I'd very much like to forget all about work and focus only and only on you, beautiful rose." When she turned away from him, he walked around the woman so she was facing him again. "I thought I had explained - should you accept, you and I are going to attend to a ball. No need to worry about anything, your only task is to enjoy yourself. Everything else has been taken care of. What do you say? Can you trust me for this one night, trust someone else to take some responsibility? No blindfolds, no disguises. At least not between us." He extended his hand, palm upward in one of the most honest gestures known between people and the jokes had finally faded away from Zenon completely.

His tone was sincere and face portrayed hope. He wanted her to accepted, wished she would. This one last night, a gift to her as much to him. Because he was going to hurt himself after and, even worse, hurt her after. When had it gotten to this point, he didn't know, but thought of hurting her was suddenly worse than having himself hurt. But maybe, maybe he would find a middle ground... Perhaps it was naive, but wasn't he proud, stubborn and naive anyway? What was there to lose?