[lazyalex]
(-.-)zzZ
Banned
n/a

Old 06-08-2007, 03:55 AM

When it comes to me, I always have problems with the Hands and feet.

Whenever possible, I try to put the hands behind the back.

For feet, I usually never do a full body.

Discuss.
The hardest part for you to draw.
How did you/how are you overcoming it?
Is there any shortcuts you used to draw them better? (hiding them, making them chibish, ETC)

ProdigyBombay
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 AM

hands are the hardest for me...hands down. XDDDD

...although, I always try to draw them and not hide them, because if you don't draw them, you'll never get any better at them. And if you hide them behind the character's backs, it's blatantly obvious that you aren't drawing the hands on purpose...trust me. Been there, done that. LOL.

[lazyalex]
(-.-)zzZ
Banned
n/a

Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyBombay
hands are the hardest for me...hands down. XDDDD

...although, I always try to draw them and not hide them, because if you don't draw them, you'll never get any better at them. And if you hide them behind the character's backs, it's blatantly obvious that you aren't drawing the hands on purpose...trust me. Been there, done that. LOL.
Ah, I do practice.

But if I'm doing art for a friend on gaia, I never try to put the hands in. :lol:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM

I was hoping people would say hands and feet, i have a hard enough time drawing at all, so small, complicated body parts are completely beyond me, i could never attempt a full body shot, i tend to get down just below the shoulders and wimp out

i drew one hand once!
http://i8.tinypic.com/6afk0ea.jpg
and that looks like i only gave my friend 3 fingers! :oops: maybe his Coco ate the other one

It's actually really gratifying for me when i see other people who i consider as accomplished artists saying they have difficulty drawing some areas, it makes me feel a lot less hopeless myself
8)

MagicalShine
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-08-2007, 03:06 PM

Hands are probably the hardest part. The greatest problem with drawing hands is the pose. Should the hand hold something or in what pose the picture would look normal etc.

Jitsumi1221
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via MSN to Jitsumi1221 Send a message via Yahoo to Jitsumi1221

Old 06-08-2007, 04:51 PM

without a doubt, hands and feet, or just really dynamic poses in general. I have trouble leaving the hand looking relaxed neat to the person, or when they are holding something haveing their arm not look so darn stiff ^^; as for avoiding it.. theres no doing, i did my hands behind the back thing some years ago and that never helped at all so.. onward ho in drawing the hard bits!

lizspit
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Deffinately the eyes for me. I alwayse over think them, should i make them bigger for more emotion? Should i make them smaller to look more realistic? Should i use angles or curves? anime' style, disney or realism? Why can't i seem to get them the same size ever? And pupil positioning on 3/4 veiw.

here are a couple 'how to draw hand' tutorials i found if anyone is interested

ttp://www.deviantart.com/deviation/35494492/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37882731/

[lazyalex]
(-.-)zzZ
Banned
n/a

Old 06-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizspit
Deffinately the eyes for me. I alwayse over think them, should i make them bigger for more emotion? Should i make them smaller to look more realistic? Should i use angles or curves? anime' style, disney or realism? Why can't i seem to get them the same size ever? And pupil positioning on 3/4 veiw.

here are a couple 'how to draw hand' tutorials i found if anyone is interested

ttp://www.deviantart.com/deviation/35494492/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37882731/
Ive not recently drawn eyes, I make the art more emotional w/out eyes or with the hair covering them

Naeru
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-09-2007, 03:00 AM

Hands most definitely.

Feet are pretty easy if you keep em simple. The hands take the longest for me unless it's chibi art in which the hands are usually blob-like.

Man
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-09-2007, 05:08 AM

Hands and (for some reason) the bust part. >_o; For hands, I made myself practice drawing my own in different positions, pay attention to the bone structure, and looked up some tutorials. For the bust, I just use tutorials and such for guiding. I try to avoid any shortcuts. :3

Alexandrus Gambino
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 AM

D:

I Can't draw pr0n. I can't draw bewbies and private parts. But >.> Not like I should worry about that. But otherwise, drawing's pretty easy. I'll just draw flat chested girls.

crystalrev
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-09-2007, 12:52 PM

I have to agree with you but to me, feets are harder to draw. >< i don't draw anything below the knee and i use pencil for the hand.

Tea
Dead Account Holder
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Tea

Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 PM

I guess hands..

joke-mus
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-09-2007, 02:19 PM

relaxed hands... and dynamic/natural poses ^^'
i do try to draw them though *nods*

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Hands have always been difficult for me, but I'm starting to get better at them. I do use my own hands for reference all the time, though! I have my handy mirror in front of me so I can see how it's supposed to look.

Feet are also difficult for me - at this point, they're harder than hands for me to do and you wouldn't think that'd be the case. There's just something about them that make them difficult to make look natural.

The other thing I struggle with is actually mouths/lips. I mean, I can draw them, but as I'm painting, getting them to look right with the face is difficult. I don't know if it's so much the lips themselves or all the area of skin around the mouth - getting it to blend seamlessly into the face rather than looking pasted on. Especially on guys, I find this difficult to do.

The only thing I can do is keep forcing myself to practice these things rather than hiding them. Admittedly, it's easy to hide feet since I draw so many ladies in long dresses. But as far as the lips part - can't really hide that! And it's usually obvious if you try to hide hands. Too, since my style is more toward realism, there aren't any shortcuts I can take.

lizspit
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-09-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliena
Hands have always been difficult for me, but I'm starting to get better at them. I do use my own hands for reference all the time, though! I have my handy mirror in front of me so I can see how it's supposed to look.

Feet are also difficult for me - at this point, they're harder than hands for me to do and you wouldn't think that'd be the case. There's just something about them that make them difficult to make look natural.

The other thing I struggle with is actually mouths/lips. I mean, I can draw them, but as I'm painting, getting them to look right with the face is difficult. I don't know if it's so much the lips themselves or all the area of skin around the mouth - getting it to blend seamlessly into the face rather than looking pasted on. Especially on guys, I find this difficult to do.

The only thing I can do is keep forcing myself to practice these things rather than hiding them. Admittedly, it's easy to hide feet since I draw so many ladies in long dresses. But as far as the lips part - can't really hide that! And it's usually obvious if you try to hide hands. Too, since my style is more toward realism, there aren't any shortcuts I can take.
Tell me about it! getting the nose and lips to work together is so difficult, and then the shading around the lip/chin going into the cheekbone is tricky too. if you do it right it adds amazing realism, but do it wrong and... *death*

And i agree with you there, the only thing to do is practice. I remember when i was a starting artist i would draw hands behind backs all the time, Legs in 'potato sack' pants because i didn't draw the naked form before adding clothes. Sometimes no mouth (i thought it looked edgey. lol) or hair covering one eye.

ah well. we live , we learn.

Navi
Starving Artist
Send a message via AIM to Navi

Old 06-09-2007, 04:25 PM

I tend to enjoy hands (except for when I'm just having an off day) and I love faces the most. The things that are probably the roughest for me (and no one has said yet) are the waist area where the legs join to the hips and the legs in general. I can never get their shape to look right it seems. Practice practice. I'm also not on good terms with feet lately; we had a fight and now I'm sleeping on the couch. ;_; Heh

lizspit
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navidian
I tend to enjoy hands (except for when I'm just having an off day) and I love faces the most. The things that are probably the roughest for me (and no one has said yet) are the waist area where the legs join to the hips and the legs in general. I can never get their shape to look right it seems. Practice practice. I'm also not on good terms with feet lately; we had a fight and now I'm sleeping on the couch. ;_; Heh
Better sleeping alone then sleeping with feat, i say. He's got diseases now, ever sence he started going to 'those clubs'.

MagicalShine
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Hahaha i used to cover one eye, too.^^ I also remember when i was five, i drew hands like a flower.

SadiKitten
Banned
n/a
Send a message via MSN to SadiKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SadiKitten

Old 06-09-2007, 06:56 PM

I only do heads.
& i suck at those,
seriously...
i hate art!

Cinnamonmiko
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Cinnamonmiko Send a message via Yahoo to Cinnamonmiko

Old 06-10-2007, 01:21 AM

I have problems with facial expressions!
>>
It's difficult because I sketch really sloppily and one ill--placed line can move the mood of a face entirely. Then, when I get around to cleaning up the sketch, I can't tell if (s)he was happy, angry, sad, or frustrated! xP

I don't try to hide it, I usually sort it out. The only thing I can do to fix it is to a) draw more neatly, and b) practice more exaggerated expressions. We shall see.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 AM

Cinnamon, I do too and I hate that! My problem is I'm stuck on this whole lovely/handsome thing and sometimes certain expressions don't allow the face to be lovely or handsome and it's difficult for me to look at it and make it look right in my mind. I can pretty much do calm, sad, and ticked off. But more extreme expressions, I struggle with! That's definitely something I want to practice more of this year.

Username Censored
Grave digger
Send a message via MSN to Username Censored

Old 06-10-2007, 12:04 PM

• This may sound weird, but I have no problem drawing hands or feet. The hardest part for me is the proportioning of the muscles, especially the shoulders and waist are a problem to me. D:
    And I have a major problem drawing exciting angles.. All my characters are in a still life. O__Q ;;

GainaSpirit
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-10-2007, 12:06 PM

Well, as most people said, hands and feets for me too. I'm trying to pratice lots of those but seems that I can't grasp smething important about them. Mostly the hand when they curve around something, without make them look all slime gelly like.

Sora-Neko
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Sora-Neko

Old 06-10-2007, 08:49 PM

LEGS! DX They're eviiiiil!!!!

Also toes/feet and hands, very hard.