Indy Lyon
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-13-2009, 02:53 PM

I thought it would be fun for people to think of the origins of easter. Also you can make up your own ideas about the origins of Easter.
Provided you say at the bottom of your post that it is only your idea on the origin.
Have fun and Happy Easter

Evanrai
*^_^*

Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Easter's originally a Christian holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I'm not exactly sure where the eggs came into it, or better yet, the Easter Bunny. So, which came first, the Bunny or the Eggs?

Baltz Delirium
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Baltz Delirium

Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Yeah Jesus stuff. =o

I think the easter bunny is an existence that dwells in the fabrics of Space-Time itself the "eggs" are the occurences which he rears his ugly head reeking havoc on the unsuspected beings which are but oh to quick to forget the tragic past and let live on another episode of his wrath.

(Brought to you by Baltz) Yeahyeah made up.

Panic
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Panic

Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Resurrection plz! :D

I don't know where the bunny/eggs came from...@.@ Its a nice addition though! :3

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Well let's see... XD;

They say it's related to a Jewish tradition called the Passover.

But prior to Passover, it's related to a tradition with regards the celebration of a Goddess named Eostre/Eastre. Her feast was Ostara.

Her definitive elements were eggs and hares.

...Interesting. Those two are fertility symbols.

She was the Goddess of the Dawn.

The whole Easter thing also falls on a seasonal change hence it gets celebrated and all. ^^

I think some neopagan religions observe the feast?

Then... Among Greeks, eggs are dyed red to represent the blood of Christ. Not to mention they have traditional meals that really include eggs.

Man, I R no fun. D:

I really looked up the REAL meaning. T_T

BearBur
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM

thats always was something i wondered about. what does the easter bunny and eggs have to do with jesus and his resurrection?

Sayhn
*^_^*

Old 04-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Easter is a pagan holiday of fertility, i believe from the area of germany, way before christ, worshipping the goddess Eostre, though nearly every people in that area celebrated some sort of Spring Equinox goddess, the rabbits, eggs and chickens all represent new growth and fertility.

When the christian religion was expanding with their country they would often incorporate the pagan traditions of the newly conquered people, lol birthdays, christmas traditions, easter and a ton of other things are fuuulll of pagan tradtion, not much changed about them either. Singing happy birthday/good luck wishing, blowing out candles is about sending away bad demons, the yule log is pagan, the xmas tree i think is too etc etc

you can look this all up in your local library

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 04-13-2009, 05:13 PM

Fertility symbols. XD

You'd often think... Hey. Sex!

But no... Come to think of it, they also come into terms with reincarnation and growth too.

-sudden realization/Eureka moment-

Hehehe... Isn't that what the Christians back in the day always do? They incorporate elements of the local religion after they say it's bad and stuff---so to appease the natives and/or make it easier for them to accept.

Though Easter is sure something.

Unlike most localized varieties of a big religion, this tradition permeated practically all areas regardless of the localized version of Christianity.

XD

Sayhn
*^_^*

Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 PM

thats most likely because when these were being incorporated there were far fewer strains of christianity

whitebeast
(ó㉨ò)

Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 PM

Good point.

Hence it was more solid and got spread around.

Speaking of Spring...

o_o Crap. I just missed out on the feast for it.

oTL I forget too much.